@MarkBarberio

Position: Defence

Shoots: Left

Birthplace: Montréal, QC, CAN

Brith date: 23 March 1990

Height: 6' 1"

Weight: 207 lbs

Drafted by: Tampa Bay

Draft Year: 2008 Round 6 (152nd Overall)

Archive 2015-16

Stats | Video | NHL.com | Contract Info

OwnThePuck HERO Chart (http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com/):Gc9Ug04.png

• 2 weeks later...

i agree ram charger. I know we only got a small sample size, especially on our top pairing, but like you, i thought he looked comfortable. he looked good on the bottom pairing and also on the top pairing, until he suffered his concussion. The slew of bad luck last season, still baffles me. Just when we thought our luck was turning and we had a capable replacement in Barbario, he ends up on our ever growing, long term injury list.

I hope there's room for him come October. T-Bays loss is our gain.

He's definitely a top 6 capable guy. I think I would probably rank him 5th (tied with Pateryn since both have such small sample sizes) after Weber, Petry, Beaulieu & Markov. In some ways he's probably already ahead of Markov although Markie's vision is still elite, even if the legs cant keep up.

I would definitely rank him ahead of Emelin. So on the left side he is, in my opinion, behind only Beaulieu and (probably) Markov. That puts him in my top 6 although I suspect he'd rank 4th on the left in MT's top 6.

I still am holding out hope that DD and Emelin both get moved before october. Both are serviceable players and I like the as people but I just feel like their skillset puts our team at a disadvantage vs. other players that could take his spot.

He's definitely a top 6 capable guy. I think I would probably rank him 5th (tied with Pateryn since both have such small sample sizes) after Weber, Petry, Beaulieu & Markov. In some ways he's probably already ahead of Markov although Markie's vision is still elite, even if the legs cant keep up.

I would definitely rank him ahead of Emelin. So on the left side he is, in my opinion, behind only Beaulieu and (probably) Markov. That puts him in my top 6 although I suspect he'd rank 4th on the left in MT's top 6.

I still am holding out hope that DD and Emelin both get moved before october. Both are serviceable players and I like the as people but I just feel like their skillset puts our team at a disadvantage vs. other players that could take his spot.

I'd place him above emelin too, but again, we only got a small sample size.

Considering MB was the one who extended Emelin's contract, here's where the politics of sports gets in the way and may not have the best product on the ice. If MT decides to sit emelin in place of Barbario, well that reflects bad on MB. I'm sure MB is pushing MT to play Emelin over Barb, otherwise it puts his decision to extend emelin (and pay him handsomely) into question. So, if we see Emelin on the ice while barb sits, that could reflect more on MB than MT and his coaching staff. Mb is a self proclaimed hands on GM, not a "hide in my office" type, "a-la PG". If he can save face, you better believe he's going to do it. And i doubt he'll come to MT's defense this time around.

And before fans crucify the habs for this, it goes on in every professional sport. Anyone watch the movie moneyball? There's a great example there where the conflict between GM and coach about which players to field. Coach wants the best player out there, GM wants the player that makes him look like a competent GM and one he chose to sign, extend or draft.

At the end of the day, coach wants to win and he doesn't care if the player earns 9 mil a season or the league minimum. But, to a GM who has signed "said" player, he needs to justify his signings to ownership.

• 2 months later...

Really shocked he's been exposed to waivers. i guess we'll find out in a couple of hours if he cleared. 

I would have probably ranked him in our top 6 or 7 right now. Losing him wont kill us but he's a terrific bottom pairing / #7 dman so its not an ideal loss. 

6 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Cleared

Definitely glad.

It sucks for him that we have such bottom pairing depth but at least he's getting paid his fully salary in the minors.  Would really have preferred to have kept him with the bigs & moved Emelin TBH. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, kinot-1 said:

TSN says he will play tomorrow. 

Yeah with Beaulieu sitting.

EDIT:  my bad, i didnt realize Beaulieu went to the hospital after the game. I thought he was being punished but it sounds more like Barbs will get the start to give Beau a little recovery time / run more tests.

• 2 weeks later...