The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#65 Andrew Shaw 2016-17

habs_93

1 hour ago, PuckPundit said:

As long as he doesn't incur dumb penalties, I'm fine with him being a pest to the opposition.  It's what he's paid to do.  

Agreed, but I'm also expecting some offense for the amount of money he's being paid.

11 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Has been a big disappointment for me thus far. Much less of a catalyst than I thought he would have been and not enough sustained offensive pressure. I'd like to see Carr on the 3rd line instead of him.

$3.9M AAV!

6 hours ago, habs_93 said:

$3.9M AAV!

Right, and that's a large part of it. Why do we need another bottom 6 player signed for this much for that amount of term when Carr or Byron or Danault or McCarron or Hudon or Ghetto or so on can give us just as much for much less payout? This is feeling a lot like the Brandon Prust signing: yes, he's a guy fans and teammates love to have on the ice, but he's not really worth what he's being paid, and that money could have been better spent elsewhere. The obvious and direct comparison for where Shaw's money could have gone would be Eller, seeing as we essentially swapped Eller's cap space to fit Shaw in. I maintain that Eller would have been more useful to us than Shaw, although I'll give Shaw a bit more time to see how he adjusts.

I think he has more of an impact then Eller and is proving to be well worth the salary. we are fairly deep down the middle and he seems to be able to provide more offence on the wing. We are rolling three lines and nine forwards which I have no problem with this early in the year as we try to get guys going.  DD Shaw and Patches looked fairly effective and Tampa had trouble with them late in the game. When we change lines like this other teams will struggle with the match ups.

23 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

I think he has more of an impact then Eller and is proving to be well worth the salary. we are fairly deep down the middle and he seems to be able to provide more offence on the wing. We are rolling three lines and nine forwards which I have no problem with this early in the year as we try to get guys going.  DD Shaw and Patches looked fairly effective and Tampa had trouble with them late in the game. When we change lines like this other teams will struggle with the match ups.

Shaw had some good shifts in this game, but for the most part, I find he's been ineffective thus far. And I'd have to disagree about our depth down the middle. We have Galchenyuk, who is a clear 1C despite the fact he can't win a face-off right now. But after that? Plekanec has struggled this season and a lot of last year and seems to be showing signs of decline. And Desharnais has already proven he's not a viable alternative as a top 6 player. So where does that leave us? If you subtract Shaw from the third line, I'm perfectly fine using Carr or Ghetto or McCarron in that role. But I'm not really impressed with our options at center right now. To me, Eller would have provided a better alternative to our current situation, and Shaw is more replaceable, especially for the money he's earning.

16 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

I think Shaw got ripped off on the penalty call after he scored the empty netter that would have made it 4-1.

That's cause he did. What he did was a penalty, but he also got interfered with first and he did what he did to fight through that interference. If the ref is making the call on Shaw, he should have made the call on Tampa too.

44 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

That's cause he did. What he did was a penalty, but he also got interfered with first and he did what he did to fight through that interference. If the ref is making the call on Shaw, he should have made the call on Tampa too.

100% a total double standard in the united states league of gary bettman.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Whatever Shaw was allowed to get away with before he joined the Habs, he has been officially neutered by officiating since he joined us.

i think he's just played poorly. Thus far, I don't see how he is any better than Carr, Prust, Moen, or Mitchell, yet he's being paid 2-3 times as much as these other guys.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

i think he's just played poorly. Thus far, I don't see how he is any better than Carr, Prust, Moen, or Mitchell, yet he's being paid 2-3 times as much as these other guys.

Agreed Ted, I'm definitely not impressed... more so with the cost in dollars, term and loss of personnel to make space for Shaw.

2 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Agreed Ted, I'm definitely not impressed... more so with the cost in dollars, term and loss of personnel to make space for Shaw.

Right. Give me Eller over Shaw any day. Or give me Carr instead of Shaw and let me use the extra 3M dollars to upgrade another position. Subtract Shaw and Desharnais from this line-up (and DD's contract is up at the end of the year) and you have 7.4M to find fill-ins.

17 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Right. Give me Eller over Shaw any day. Or give me Carr instead of Shaw and let me use the extra 3M dollars to upgrade another position. Subtract Shaw and Desharnais from this line-up (and DD's contract is up at the end of the year) and you have 7.4M to find fill-ins.

Absolutely!!! I dreamed of the day Desharnais would not be a center of consequence any longer and that Eller would play a very important role in his absence. Shaw is worse than Dale Weise IMHO. Once again we see Bergevin waste money in the wrong areas of concern.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got to admit, he's starting to grow on me a little. He'll never be more than a 'luxury' 3rd liner so he'll always be overpaid but he can still be effective when used adequately. Hats of for dropping the gloves with Perry today, clearly a mismatch but it certainly takes balls.