The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#65 Andrew Shaw 2016-17

habs_93

Agreed that it's good on Shaw for trying to make amends with being our team's ambassador. But on a similar note, if he's trying to show he's learned something off the ice, he's still playing like he's learned nothing on it. He continues to take bad penalties and not learn from them. Needs to be way better #Elleranyday

19 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Agreed that it's good on Shaw for trying to make amends with being our team's ambassador. But on a similar note, if he's trying to show he's learned something off the ice, he's still playing like he's learned nothing on it. He continues to take bad penalties and not learn from them. Needs to be way better #Elleranyday

seing them head to head today was enough to make me cry. what a brutal tradeoff. thanks foxhole

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Has this guy ever had any type of success on the PP? What's with the infatuation of throwing him out there on the 1st wave? I just don't get it. I thought CJ would be different.

One way I like to judge a guy's utility on the PP is by how many scoring chances the team generates per 60 minutes with the player on the ice. If you look at Habs over past 4 years, Shaw has lowest scoring chance production rate on team outside of Emelin. Radulov, Weber also near the bottom, whereas Vanek, Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Gallagher, Subban near top. Shaw's rates were actually much better in Chicago, but hard to know if that's because Chicago had a good PP or because we have an awful one. Nevertheless, his production here is low, even for our team.

Shaw was played on PP a lot with Quenville, I like what he brings to the table.  Our team team needs the type of swagger that he brings. 

His true colours are starting to shine through as the playoffs draw nearer. 

Hopefully we make it there. 

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I was never a big fan of us getting him that being said I am starting to see some signs of life in his game. the new coach should have a positive effect on a few players on the team I really hope Shaw is one of them!

Thing is, he's got skills.  He's Prust 2.0 but with way better hockey sense.  If he could cut out all the dumb stuff he could be a very effective forward. He's not afraid of going to the dirty areas & in many ways could be probably as good if not better than Gallagher.  He just needs to stop doing the really really dumb things that make you hate him for 3 or 4 games in a row. 

• 3 weeks later...

One goal, one assist, and NO penalties last night vs. Ottawa, in a game the where the refs were really nitpicking for Hab infractions.  Obviously, he can be a factor when he limits the bad plays.  Hopefully Julien has had a "chat" with him about it.  

Shaw has strung together a few games now where he has put in effort close to amazing and been a driver of our offense ... such as it is. He seems to be more responsible and considering that, he is slowly winning me over. If this is the REAL Shaw that we see going forward then his deal is starting to look more favourable for sure ...

20 hours ago, eldag said:

Shaw has strung together a few games now where he has put in effort close to amazing and been a driver of our offense ... such as it is. He seems to be more responsible and considering that, he is slowly winning me over. If this is the REAL Shaw that we see going forward then his deal is starting to look more favourable for sure ...

Couldn't have said it better, myself. 

He has picked up his game as noted. The issue I still have with Shaw is the points he's cost us up to this stage of the season, because of recklessness and stupidity. It's great that he'll be a factor for us in the second season. His effectiveness is likely due to the refs letting a lot go this time of year. He needs to learn to adjust his game in the regular season, knowing full well that type of garbage won't be tolerated. Let's hope he can do that, or it will be a long 5 years.

56 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

He has picked up his game as noted. The issue I still have with Shaw is the points he's cost us up to this stage of the season, because of recklessness and stupidity. It's great that he'll be a factor for us in the second season. His effectiveness is likely due to the refs letting a lot go this time of year. He needs to learn to adjust his game in the regular season, knowing full well that type of garbage won't be tolerated. Let's hope he can do that, or it will be a long 5 years.

The same could be said of Emelin. 

5 hours ago, H_T_L said:

He's been much better of late, but he's gone through stretches of a couple of weeks at a time where he's behaved and then he goes right back to doing something dumb. As I've said elsewhere, I really think he seems to do better when paired up with Lehkonen and Danault. Those three have really just seemed to gel, and Shaw seems to be more focused on hockey when he's with them, maybe because Danault and Lehkonen are two hard-working smart hockey players. This Shaw has a place on the team, I'm just not convinced he'll be this Shaw on a regular basis.

On 3/20/2017 at 9:51 PM, BigTed3 said:

He's been much better of late, but he's gone through stretches of a couple of weeks at a time where he's behaved and then he goes right back to doing something dumb. As I've said elsewhere, I really think he seems to do better when paired up with Lehkonen and Danault. Those three have really just seemed to gel, and Shaw seems to be more focused on hockey when he's with them, maybe because Danault and Lehkonen are two hard-working smart hockey players. This Shaw has a place on the team, I'm just not convinced he'll be this Shaw on a regular basis.

With the line changes and Shaw playing center with Galchenyuk and Lehkonen on the wings we'll have to see if that gels now.

3 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

With the line changes and Shaw playing center with Galchenyuk and Lehkonen on the wings we'll have to see if that gels now.

He played centre for much of his time in Chicago, including at least 1 of the cup winners. I think he'll be fine back at centre (and Julien clearly has always prefered two way centres) but im not sure if he's capable of being a top 2 centre.  Can he provide enough support for Galchenyuk?  Guess we'll find out. 

20 hours ago, maas_art said:

He played centre for much of his time in Chicago, including at least 1 of the cup winners. I think he'll be fine back at centre (and Julien clearly has always prefered two way centres) but im not sure if he's capable of being a top 2 centre.  Can he provide enough support for Galchenyuk?  Guess we'll find out. 

He didn't do too bad last night. Galchenyuk had 2 more dangerous chances in the early going than he's had for most of the last few games, and managed to score on one of them, with Shaw setting him up for it. More of that would be nice to see.

1 hour ago, RicochetII said:

He didn't do too bad last night. Galchenyuk had 2 more dangerous chances in the early going than he's had for most of the last few games, and managed to score on one of them, with Shaw setting him up for it. More of that would be nice to see.

Julien needs to give it time IMHO.

He plays with a lot of emotion and may be less likely to feel the need to be an irritant now that we have added some size. His hockey skills make him well worth his contract. It is his poor  judgement that his caused some problems and players on other teams appear to be taking advantage of this lack of discipline. I would like to blame the refs for some bad calls as well but he needs to learn it isn't worth taking the chance.  I regretfully have to say he has deserved most of the calls against him this year, and needs to change his reputation.

5 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Have to give him credit, he has turned things around and is now playing some good hockey. hope it continues!

Have to wonder what type of influence Julien has had.  Not that he's necessarily 'changing' Shaw, but I think Therrien would encourage the wrong side of Shaw's game while Julien has maybe been able to get through to Shaw that  he's got a lot more skill than the average plugger. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here comes Shaw's opportunity to show the "playoff-battle-tested" aspect of his game.  He showed noticeable improvement toward the end of the season (which was clearly due to having our new coach back there), not so much in his hockey skills, but in the reduction of the number of bad penalties taken.  Let's see if he adds that "non-quantifiable" element that helps the team win some key games.