The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#65 Andrew Shaw 2016-17

habs_93

8 hours ago, jeff33 said:

id be remiss if I point out subbans outdoing of weber in his thread if i didnt take a moment from watching the caps and point out how much better eller is than this guy. just maddening

Except we didn't need this season to know that! Eller was vastly under-rated during his time here as well. Great puck protection, smart on defence, good size, matched up well against any type of player, good possession player, and produced decently well offensively whenever he was put in a top 6 center role (just wasn't given that role very often). Shaw actually had a decent end to the season once Julien took over, but we clearly lacked strength down the middle of the ice this year, and Eller could have fit in very well on the 2nd or 3rd line. If we were willing to give DD a shot for many years and Danault a shot this season, don't know why Eller never got a chance to try out at 1C next to Pacioretty. They always played relatively well together.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Except we didn't need this season to know that! Eller was vastly under-rated during his time here as well. Great puck protection, smart on defence, good size, matched up well against any type of player, good possession player, and produced decently well offensively whenever he was put in a top 6 center role (just wasn't given that role very often). Shaw actually had a decent end to the season once Julien took over, but we clearly lacked strength down the middle of the ice this year, and Eller could have fit in very well on the 2nd or 3rd line. If we were willing to give DD a shot for many years and Danault a shot this season, don't know why Eller never got a chance to try out at 1C next to Pacioretty. They always played relatively well together.

That and there really was no reason we couldnt have kept both Shaw and Eller.   

I have do doubt we could have moved Plekanec at the start of last season for a later pick or prospect, heck DD was moved (for an actual useable player) - not to mention if MB had just been smarter with some of his bottom 6, lower pairing contracts it wouldnt have been a problem at all.

Once again (like PK for Weber)  Bergevin moved a 'type' of player we still needed for a completely different type of player.   We didnt need one or the other, we needed both. He seems to miss that point a lot. 

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

I have do doubt we could have moved Plekanec at the start of last season for a later pick or prospect, heck DD was moved (for an actual useable player) - not to mention if MB had just been smarter with some of his bottom 6, lower pairing contracts it wouldnt have been a problem at all.

Once again (like PK for Weber)  Bergevin moved a 'type' of player we still needed for a completely different type of player.   We didnt need one or the other, we needed both. He seems to miss that point a lot. 

What really bugs me (and always will I suspect) with the trade of PK ... this was a Toronto kid who genuinely loved Montreal and being part of the community and who embraced his role and the fans. That's why he was so loved by the fans and the community .... he gave back as much as he took and was much more than just a star hockey player. Of course he had ego and was brash and loved the limelight ... so what!!!!?????? He was larger than life and lived every moment while here and Therrien and Bergevin hated him for that and the fact that HE was the team ... not them. Some of his teammates, unfortunately, were equally as small ...... Subban was not perfect but he gave everything he had when he was on the ice and on most nights ... that was more than enough. That is why when I look at Bergevin's arrogant face on TV I want to throw up a little in my mouth ... this guy needs to be gone in the view of many Montreal fans for whom Bergevin has nothing but contempt. Seeing him fired will not bring back PK or erase the stupidity of that trade but at least it will remove the constant reminder of the tiny little man who betrayed this franchise and its fans. If Molson doesn't get that ..... then he has no business being the face of the ownership of this team even though family money bought it for him. (end of rant) :wacko:

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

I think it came down to MT not liking Eller. What we know:

- Therrien treated Eller harshly, moved him around the line-up frequently, and never gave him much of a chance offensively.

- Eller spoke out after the trade saying the coach was a poor communicator and that Eller didn't appreciate being moved around from center to wing and getting new linemates every three games. Said it made it tough.

- MB said he thought Eller was underrated and that he was a guy who "got you through the playoffs"

So I get the feeling MB recognized Eller's worth but MT just didn't feel like he was a fit and didn't really get along with him (a common theme from traded/departing players was that MT didn't communicate to players what he wanted to get out of them and Eller was not exception in terms of the coach failing to establish a working relationship with him). So I take it that MB finally caved in and figured he'd replace that cap space with a player that MT might appreciate more in Shaw.

15 hours ago, eldag said:

What really bugs me (and always will I suspect) with the trade of PK ... this was a Toronto kid who genuinely loved Montreal and being part of the community and who embraced his role and the fans. That's why he was so loved by the fans and the community .... he gave back as much as he took and was much more than just a star hockey player. Of course he had ego and was brash and loved the limelight ... so what!!!!?????? He was larger than life and lived every moment while here and Therrien and Bergevin hated him for that and the fact that HE was the team ... not them. Some of his teammates, unfortunately, were equally as small ...... Subban was not perfect but he gave everything he had when he was on the ice and on most nights ... that was more than enough. That is why when I look at Bergevin's arrogant face on TV I want to throw up a little in my mouth ... this guy needs to be gone in the view of many Montreal fans for whom Bergevin has nothing but contempt. Seeing him fired will not bring back PK or erase the stupidity of that trade but at least it will remove the constant reminder of the tiny little man who betrayed this franchise and its fans. If Molson doesn't get that ..... then he has no business being the face of the ownership of this team even though family money bought it for him. (end of rant) :wacko:

What a shame that Geoff Molson (and the BOG) has allowed this among other things to persist. He has to think they now have a coach but need the right GM with a progressive forward looking vision to guide things at this time. Decisions must be influenced by Fan appreciation or lack thereof... and the media bias ignored more than welcomed.

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think it came down to MT not liking Eller. What we know:

- Therrien treated Eller harshly, moved him around the line-up frequently, and never gave him much of a chance offensively.

- Eller spoke out after the trade saying the coach was a poor communicator and that Eller didn't appreciate being moved around from center to wing and getting new linemates every three games. Said it made it tough.

- MB said he thought Eller was underrated and that he was a guy who "got you through the playoffs"

So I get the feeling MB recognized Eller's worth but MT just didn't feel like he was a fit and didn't really get along with him (a common theme from traded/departing players was that MT didn't communicate to players what he wanted to get out of them and Eller was not exception in terms of the coach failing to establish a working relationship with him). So I take it that MB finally caved in and figured he'd replace that cap space with a player that MT might appreciate more in Shaw.

Flawed from the get go with the dismantling of the future top line by breaking up Galchenyuk, Eller and Gallagher to appease Pacioretty and Desharnais. MB seems to thrive on being able to deflect blame to others so he can hide his own flaws in leadership.

• 1 month later...