Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Marc Bergevin and staff 2016-17


habs_93
 Share

Recommended Posts

lol....judge for yourself

"....native spent six seasons with the Phoenix Coyotes' management team in various roles. Burke worked as a goaltending coach, director of player development and assistant general manager..."

Probably an irrelevant signing :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bergy has put in Therrien\s english replacement in Muller at Therrien's request and now found his own english replacement for GM. Or he has spent a lot of time scouting the WHL while watching his son Brendan play goal in Calgary for the Hitmen and has some good insights into the league. Sounds like Burke enjoys being a rink rat. Either way he should help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Would like to point out that when MB traded Eller, he stated he felt comfortable making the deal because in his opinion, Danault was already ready to step in and take over that 3C spot as the shutdown center. Well according to early line usage, Danault is neither playing on the 3rd line nor is he even playing at center. Are MB and MT even on the same page or was this just another lie that Bergevin fed to us? There's no way DD is going to be eating up shutdown minutes no matter who is on his line, so either the Habs plan on giving tough minutes to the Plekanec-Radulov duo and minimizing their scoring impact or else they plan on over-playing Byron-Mitchell-Danault as their shutdown line, which means you take time away from your three scoring lines. Trading Eller makes even less sense the more we see what the team is doing with its leftover lines. I would have much rather see a 3rd line of Carr-Eller-McCarron than Carr-Desharnais-Andrighetto.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

or else they plan on over-playing Byron-Mitchell-Danault as their shutdown line, which means you take time away from your three scoring lines.

And if last year is any indication, it means conceding a lot of goals when that line's out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

And if last year is any indication, it means conceding a lot of goals when that line's out.

Right. Imagine the Habs decide the Mitchell line will be asked to shut down the Crosby line, and the Plekanec line gets the Malkin line... so what happens? The Mitchell line gets 15 minutes of ice time, the Plekanec line gets 18-20, and we're left with Galchenyuk and Desharnais' lines getting 13-14 each. Ideally, you want to have your best line on as much as possible and force the other team to react. So 19-20 minutes for the Galchenyuk line, 16-17 for Plekanec, 13-14 for Desharnais, and 8-10 for Mitchell but no more. That's what's ideal. But who's taking the tough match-ups in that scenario? Is it Lehkonen-Plekanec-Radulov being given a defensive role and then asking Carr-DD-Shaw to play the offensive role and score you lots of goals? That probably won't work out too well. That's why Eller was so valuable. He gave instant credibility to any trio as being able to go against top opposition (unlike DD or Galchenyuk), yet at the same time, didn't hurt the offensive potential of the line the way a Mitchell or Danault would. He was a rare breed of player who gave you the ability to play both ends of the ice comfortably in addition to having the size and strength to match up against any type of player. IMO one of Bergevin's worst moves to fail to recognize that unique combination of attributes and waste it in a meaningless trade instead.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

It is time for the team to move or demote DD he has done very little in the lead up to the season and has been surpassed by the youngsters. he needs to go so he won't be a crutch any longer.

lol this post was accurate 3 years ago.  the fact that DD is not just on the team but getting significant ice time is about all you need to know to sum up where the habs are at right now 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

It is time for the team to move or demote DD he has done very little in the lead up to the season and has been surpassed by the youngsters. he needs to go so he won't be a crutch any longer.

Agreed. Would be much better off having McCarron or Hudon on that third line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PK Subban gave an interview where he said "people are saying it was a hockey trade. I think it was the furthest thing from that. I think it was a personality trade."

 

Basically saying Marc Bergevin was lying through his teeth and confirming from the horse's mouth for the first time that there were indeed issues between Subban and Therrien/Bergevin. We might finally get the truth, it seems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

PK Subban gave an interview where he said "people are saying it was a hockey trade. I think it was the furthest thing from that. I think it was a personality trade."

 

Basically saying Marc Bergevin was lying through his teeth and confirming from the horse's mouth for the first time that there were indeed issues between Subban and Therrien/Bergevin. We might finally get the truth, it seems.

Where was the interview?  I'd be interested to read the rest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

Where was the interview?  I'd be interested to read the rest.

Full story hasn't come out yet. Supposed to be in next issue of Sports Illustrated I believe. Reported by Frank Seravalli of TSN that Subban did an interview with Alex Prewiit of SI and told him that. Prewiit answered on twitter that this was said to him when he talked to Subban about his first week in Nashville.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

PK Subban gave an interview where he said "people are saying it was a hockey trade. I think it was the furthest thing from that. I think it was a personality trade."

 

Basically saying Marc Bergevin was lying through his teeth and confirming from the horse's mouth for the first time that there were indeed issues between Subban and Therrien/Bergevin. We might finally get the truth, it seems.

 

Yeah, right on the money.  There's no possible way anyone in their right mind can call this a "hockey trade" because if it was, we would have gotten Weber + 1 or two top end prospects.  Weber is still a great player but he's older and worse than PK in just about every category (many just slightly inferior).


You can say it was a 'personality' trade or an 'intangible' trade and I think, even with our limited knowledge of all the facts you could possibly make an arguement (not one that I would buy, mind you) that the deal made sense.   But its definitely not a 'hockey trade.'

 

I wish Bergevin would just come out & say what he feels.   At least I could give him credit as being honest (didnt like everything Bob Gainey did but at least he did what he said & said what he meant).  For whatever reason MB, MT and whatever other management types value a particular type of personality.  The thing about PK that seemed to really upset most of them was the fact that he didnt whine, cry and pout when we lost.  Win or lose, he'd have a big smile on his face because thats the type of person he is.  I dont know why that is wrong. It doesnt mean he likes losing it just means he is a happy person.  Reading between the lines, this more than anything seems to be the issue here: that PK didnt have a hissy fit after losses.


We shall see if the "culture" is of vital importance.  If we win the cup (or come close) I will eat my words but i just dont see how that could be that much of a difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

 

Yeah, right on the money.  There's no possible way anyone in their right mind can call this a "hockey trade" because if it was, we would have gotten Weber + 1 or two top end prospects.  Weber is still a great player but he's older and worse than PK in just about every category (many just slightly inferior).


You can say it was a 'personality' trade or an 'intangible' trade and I think, even with our limited knowledge of all the facts you could possibly make an arguement (not one that I would buy, mind you) that the deal made sense.   But its definitely not a 'hockey trade.'

 

I wish Bergevin would just come out & say what he feels.   At least I could give him credit as being honest (didnt like everything Bob Gainey did but at least he did what he said & said what he meant).  For whatever reason MB, MT and whatever other management types value a particular type of personality.  The thing about PK that seemed to really upset most of them was the fact that he didnt whine, cry and pout when we lost.  Win or lose, he'd have a big smile on his face because thats the type of person he is.  I dont know why that is wrong. It doesnt mean he likes losing it just means he is a happy person.  Reading between the lines, this more than anything seems to be the issue here: that PK didnt have a hissy fit after losses.


We shall see if the "culture" is of vital importance.  If we win the cup (or come close) I will eat my words but i just dont see how that could be that much of a difference. 

 

Reading between the lines, when MB said his off-season was about finding guys who "didn't like to lose" it seemed to be a direct shot at Subban. And I agree with you, I have no doubt Subban didn't like to lose, he just didn't show it the same way other guys did. Sure, players like Gorges and Gallagher and Pacioretty played the somber melancholy card when we lost a game, and Subban never let himself get too down. But you look at Subban's on-ice performance and this player (unlike many of his teammates) never mailed one in. He tried hard, sometimes too hard, to win every single night. If there's one thing you can't fault Subban for, it would be a lack of effort. Moreso than Pacioretty, moreso than Markov, moreso than Emelin or Desharnais or Weise or other guys that management deemed to be leaders and gritty players.

There were in fact also times where Subban made it clear he wasn't happy with losing. One in particular last year was the post-game interview where he talked about how frustrating it was playing in a system where the breakout was so poorly organized and where he was angry that they team wasn't well-prepared. I have no doubts they were direct shots at Therrien, and they were 100% accurate in their content.

If anyone wasn't upset to lose, how about your coach and GM, who seemed just fine losing because they could fall back on the excuse of Carey not being there? Bergevin made no real play to fix that problem. Therrien wasn't able to coach well enough to make the team good enough without Carey. The duo was absolutely fine with sitting back and blaming injuries and things out of their control. No work to improve the powerplay, no bringing in a qualified goalie, no improvements to the possession game or system, no giving chances to the skilled younger players. These two were the epitome of accepting losing last year, and yet they decided to place the blame on PK. As I've said before, good on PK for fighting back.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

If anyone wasn't upset to lose, how about your coach and GM, who seemed just fine losing because they could fall back on the excuse of Carey not being there? Bergevin made no real play to fix that problem. Therrien wasn't able to coach well enough to make the team good enough without Carey. The duo was absolutely fine with sitting back and blaming injuries and things out of their control. No work to improve the powerplay, no bringing in a qualified goalie, no improvements to the possession game or system, no giving chances to the skilled younger players. These two were the epitome of accepting losing last year, and yet they decided to place the blame on PK. As I've said before, good on PK for fighting back.

 

Reminds of Babcock  after the Leafs lost 6 -1 to the Habs last night

The one think he said that stuck out was something to the effect  that he and his coaching staff have to prepare the players better .

I don't recall , and could very well be wrong , MT coming out after a game where the Habs stunk and saying that he ( MT ) needed to coach better  and better prepare his players  for games . For MT it was always the other team was better , we were tired . we have injuries , we're struggling etc . He could never admit that his line combinations were terrible , his system stunk , the PP is terrible and he needed to get it going . It was always PK's fault :P

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Reminds of Babcock  after the Leafs lost 6 -1 to the Habs last night

The one think he said that stuck out was something to the effect  that he and his coaching staff have to prepare the players better .

I don't recall , and could very well be wrong , MT coming out after a game where the Habs stunk and saying that he ( MT ) needed to coach better  and better prepare his players  for games . For MT it was always the other team was better , we were tired . we have injuries , we're struggling etc . He could never admit that his line combinations were terrible , his system stunk , the PP is terrible and he needed to get it going . It was always PK's fault :P

 

 

 

Michel Therrien had more excuses than any coach I've ever seen coach the Habs. Ironic that the team slogan under him was "No excuses," which the team has finally taken down and admitted wasn't true.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW, Marc Bergevin today said he no longer thinks about PK and that he's moved on. I know he'd love for everyone to just forget the trade, but that's not really how that works. People don't forget that we traded Roy or swapped McDonagh for Gomez or so on. This trade will define Marc Bergevin, and I'd be nervous about it if I were him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a few highlites of MB's presser this morning:

 

Bergevin thanking fans for how they received new players.

Bergevin on Subban's "personality trade" comments: "We're turning the page...for us P.K. Subban belongs to Nashville now." 

Marc Bergevin says Montreal's team identity is focused on speed.

Bergevin on Lehkonen: "He's not the biggest guy but he shakes your hand like he's 6'4". You know he's a hockey player."

Bergevin says defencemen take longer to develop, but says Sergachev was "ahead of the curve" before he got to MTL 

Bergevin on McCarron: "it's a matter of time before he's a member of the Montreal Canadiens'
There are roster issues. We want Mike to play 21 minutes. The future is so bright. He's gonna be a cornerstone of the franchise. - Bergevin

 Bergevin: "Last year we fell down face first, we didn't get up. We need to get up."

We like that Weber makes players pay the price. A lot of players don't like to pay the price. - Bergevin

 Bergevin: "I'm confident and proud of what I see today. A team that plays with speed."
Starting to look like a Bergevin team?
"Yes."

Bergevin says 15-16 faceplant + Weber + Shaw + healthy Price + more experienced C Pacioretty = better equipped to deal with adversity.

Bergevin: "Without throwing Semin under the bus" he is much more confident in Radulov than last years risk of signing Semin.

Bergevin said Radulov absolutely wanted his game equipment for practice because for him, he approaches practice like a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, kinot-1 said:

Here's a few highlites of MB's presser this morning:

 

 

We like that Weber makes players pay the price. A lot of players don't like to pay the price. - Bergevin

 

I don't think that's the case anymore with today's athletes and equipment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...