The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Marc Bergevin and staff 2016-17

habs_93

4 hours ago, kinot-1 said:

Bergevin: "I'm confident and proud of what I see today. A team that plays with speed."
Starting to look like a Bergevin team?
"Yes."

Again is MT on board .

And the d looks slow , but then again all MT want them to do is chip it off the glass

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

The  D looks slow? not sure about that!

59 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Yeah, i would agree. I'd say average at worst.

For  sure .  Slower, Maybe.  Slow? No. 

We lost PK and replaced him with Weber so thats obviously a slow-down (although Weber is not nearly as slow as you might expect given his size) but some of our other spots look to be filled by faster skaters (Sergachev, Pateryn vs Gilbert,  Beaulieu presumably getting more ice time than markov etc).

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:30 AM, ramcharger440 said:

The  D looks slow? not sure about that!

IMO We don't have a stud skating D man anymore 

We don't have a PK, Doughty , Keith , Karlson  etc

Yea we got NB but we now MT's system doesn't require a D man to skate with the puck

I agree , I wouldn't ever put not making the playoffs out of Bowman's possibility. Blake as great as he was it was another era. Bowman was able to adjust. About our D-Corp , I was watching the Buffalo feed (ONLY ONE I COULD GET) . They put up a stat that the average passing percentage out of the d-zone to forwards was about 70%, and that Weber's average was almost 80% one of the top in the league. Like the Russians years ago taught (and any good coach) is that you can skate faster without the puck than you can with it. It is a faster transition game when your passing the puck forward and your forwards and team are moving than skating the puck and the forwards holding up because you're skating the puck forward instead of head manning the puck.

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

IMO  a pretty arrogant comment to make . When the coach your hired can't adapt to changes and injuries

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/bergevin-toe-blake-bowman-couldn-t-have-lead-habs-to-playoffs-last-year-1.584818

Bergevin: Toe Blake, Bowman couldn't have lead Habs to playoffs last year

That's really an arrogant statement to make, if indeed Bergevin said that (didn't listen to the actual clip). Sure, we lost Price, but plenty of other teams played the year without a goalie of Price's caliber as well and 16 of them made the playoffs. The fact remains that Therrien's system was awful, his breakout was awful, his PP was rock-bottom, and so on. Coaching could have made a huge difference to this team. And frankly, if Bergevin thinks the roster he assembled couldn't have made the playoffs with some of the greatest coaches of all time, then he should have handed in his resignation right then and there because that's on him.

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

IMO  a pretty arrogant comment to make . When the coach your hired can't adapt to changes and injuries

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/bergevin-toe-blake-bowman-couldn-t-have-lead-habs-to-playoffs-last-year-1.584818

Bergevin: Toe Blake, Bowman couldn't have lead Habs to playoffs last year

Of course they couldn't have won. Nobody could with a do nothing GM.  

Last year we had the best (Price) and worst goaltending (everybody else) in the NHL. I agree with the idea that no coach could have won with our injuries last year and put that squarely at Bergevin's feet. He had an NHL franchise with no NHL calibre back up goaltending whether we had kept Tokarski, Condon or Scrivens with the latter having been waived by a team that had not made the playoffs in ten years. I believe he admitted this mistake when he signed Montoya. He needed to make a move last December but thought they could shield Condon and then the injuries really took hold. Hopefully he is a much smarter GM for it and this may be  his way of taking the heat for Therrien as he should. 

I am not sure we have the goaltending we need in our system now as Price begins to age and 2017 may be the year to start looking for that goalie with what is more likely to be a late first round pick or one of our two second rounders (one  we got for Eller). Since the trade (Eller)  I have been wondering if we are not targeting a specific goalie for one of those second round picks  or if we have to use our first rounder, but have not looked at it in depth. Dipietro (Windsor), and Skinner with Lethbridge who some are ironically calling the best since Price are two of the goalies available that I have read about so far. Bergy cannot afford to have the most important position on the team that weak again and whomever the goalie is they will need a few years to develop. We should know if this was part of the plan in June if Skinner is adourned with our jersey.

1 hour ago, Habberwacky said:

Last year we had the best (Price) and worst goaltending (everybody else) in the NHL. I agree with the idea that no coach could have won with our injuries last year and put that squarely at Bergevin's feet. He had an NHL franchise with no NHL calibre back up goaltending whether we had kept Tokarski, Condon or Scrivens with the latter having been waived by a team that had not made the playoffs in ten years. I believe he admitted this mistake when he signed Montoya. He needed to make a move last December but thought they could shield Condon and then the injuries really took hold. Hopefully he is a much smarter GM for it and this may be  his way of taking the heat for Therrien as he should.

No question our goaltending was substandard last year, but it was far from the only problem. I still believe MT should have pulled more from this roster than he did, and we didn't lose games only because of Condon. We lost games because our system was weak and our special teams were bad as well. Again, the analysis showed that we would NOT have been a playoff team even if we had had Jonathan Quick or Ben Bishop in goal. Sure, Condon is weaker than those goalies, but the problem is that we couldn't win even with a decent league-average starter. We were extremely reliant on Price and having an all-star to be able to hide the flaws of the rest of the team. Look at some of the other teams' goalies last year:

- Ari: Mike Smith, Lindback, Dominique playing in front of a line-up of rookies and no-names

- Buf: Lehner, Ullmark, Chad Johnson, hardly superstars yet they were virtually even with us in the standings despite a weak weak roster

- Car: Cam Ward and Eddie Lack, who had sv%'s in the same range as Condon and Scrivens but played a better system and thus finished ahead of us despite a weaker line-up

- Clb: Korpisalo, Bobrovsky (with a sv% close to Condon and Scrivens as well), and McElhinney were all pretty bad.

- Cal: Ramo, Hiller, and Ortio. Enough said.

- Dal: Niemi and Lehtonen had the same or worse sv%'s than Scrivens and yet they won their conference.

- Det: Howard was just as weak as Scrivens, Mrazek was better and took over the starting job despite a lack of experience.

- Edm: Cam Talbot and scraps...

- Nas: Rinne again virtually same sv% as Scrivens and marginally better than Condon yet they were a playoff team.

- Pit: rode Zatkoff and Murray part of the way and used the latter to win a Cup as a rookie. An example of a better line-up and system protecting an inexperienced goalie.

- SJ: Stalock and Martin Jones, again using a first-time starter to get to the Cup finals.

- Wpg: Pavelec and Hutchinson and Hellebucyk...  similar goaltending to what we got

- TB: yes they had Bishop, but when he got hurt, they made headway using Vasilevsky

The point of this being that plenty of teams had goaltending with very comparable save percentages or that used goalies with equal amounts of inexperience to what we had. Some had success, some didn't, but no matter, this is just the reality of the NHL. Most teams don't have a stud goaltender to count on, and many of those teams also had terrible rosters with no player as good as a Subban or a Pacioretty or a Galchenyuk to count on. Sure, we took a big hit by losing Carey, but all that should have done was evened out the playing field and pushed us back closer to the pack, not completely out of the playoff picture. After Dec 1, we were the worst team in the league by a large margin, and that was completely unacceptable. Our record post-Carey's injury was inferior to all those teams I listed above, many that had worse roster issues and goaltending than we did. A lot of that lies on Therrien and management.

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't happy about Bergevin sticking with Therrien last year, but I have to give him Kudos for the moves he has made to improve this team since late last season. The Radulov signing and the Weber trade took a lot of guts and what an impact those two have made. Picking up  Daneault and a draft pick for Weiss and Fleishman looks very good. Upgrading Condon with Montoya gives us a legitimate back up and if Shaw can play consistently like he did tonight then i'll be happy with that signing. Now if he can just figure out a way to move DD ...

8 hours ago, habsonbrain said:

I wasn't happy about Bergevin sticking with Therrien last year, but I have to give him Kudos for the moves he has made to improve this team since late last season. The Radulov signing and the Weber trade took a lot of guts and what an impact those two have made. Picking up  Daneault and a draft pick for Weiss and Fleishman looks very good. Upgrading Condon with Montoya gives us a legitimate back up and if Shaw can play consistently like he did tonight then i'll be happy with that signing. Now if he can just figure out a way to move DD ...

Agreed on some of this:

- Weise trade for Danault was good, albeit I think MB should have been able to get a 2nd rounder in the past draft rather than a future draft with a weaker crop of players. Nevertheless, this trade was a win for us, seeing as we weren't bringing back either guy we dealt anyways. Danault's development has been a bonus.

-  Radulov signing thus far is the signing of the summer. He was a gamble, in that he had high-end potential but in that we didn't know what type of player we would get and whether he was going to be better or worse than the last Radulov we saw in the NHL. I liked the signing all in all, but Radulov has exceeded my expectations thus far.

- Weber for Subban is still a loss for me. Weber has done wonders for the PP but I still see PK as the better defensive player and the better ES player. I also think a lot of us have taken this winning streak and Weber's big shot and forgotten that we're 15 games into one season and that we still have Weber signed for another decade as he moves out of his peak years. Even if Weber has 1-2 good seasons here, the trade is a loss if PK plays better over the next 7-8 seasons UNLESS we can turn the Weber play now into a Cup or two. Obviously still too early to pronounce on how the next 8-10 years will turn out, but I would take this trade back if I could at this point.

- The Shaw and Eller deals to me are a big minus as well.

- Montoya over Condon was a smart move. Didn't think much of the Montoya signing when it was made. Thought he'd be just another back-up with more experience than Condon, but he's been solid, that one game being the exception.

- There are still some weaknesses to work on for MB. One reason we've done better on D is that we've relegated Markov to 2nd pairing. I still believe he has been our worst defenceman to date this year. Weber has played well, Petry has played well, Emelin has played far above what we've seen from him in the past, Pateryn has been a pleasant surprise, and Beaulieu has settled in nicely on the 3rd pairing. But how long can we ride Emelin on the #1 pair? I'm still skeptical that will last, and if Price goes down, I still feel like our D will get bombarded. There needs to be some thought about upgrading the left side of the defence. I also still see room for an upgrade at the 2C or 2LW position. Plekanec has played better since being paired with Gallagher, but neither he nor DD is a long-term solution. I still see room on this team for Michael McCarron to take one of those spots on the 2nd line, although a trade for a scorer wouldn't hurt us either.

Not sure if I am dreaming or not when I write this but Hanley continues to be a very nice surprise. He makes good defensive plays, always appears to be on the right side of the puck, knows when to throw it at the net and can skate. He  was very impressive last year as well and may either be part of a deal or make someone else expendable. I still love the Weber deal and think Mr. Poile may soon come to regret that trade a little more every day , unless PK can let some of his stubborness subside and tweak his game a little. Bergevin and his staff are doing a great job scouting who is available and I am not sure the staff get enough credit.  I still like Shaw as he appear to have fallen in line, as evidenced by the fact he was able to back off the hit when Abdelkader turned himself into a very dangerous position. If Shaw continues to play smart his scoring will come.

The players in limbo right now are all former third liners and maybe the solution is to make them the fourth line as our fourth line appears more like......... or probably is the best line on the team. To some extent DD, Carr and Andrighetto are clones of each other and of the three I still think Carr has the inside track. Both DD and Andy are still making bad turnovers in the neutral zone with blind backhand passes and not pressing the puck as much as the others.  But if Byron at his size can do this game in and game out these guys need to as well. I really thought DD would have a career year with his contract due to expire and there is still time for this. He has struggled at the start of the year before, but now appears to have some very tough competition with Lehkonen and McCarron needing room soon as well. It will be interesting to see what we can get for some of these players (DD is a UFA and we weren't  getting much even if he wasn't while Andrighetto has already cleared  waivers once) or if they can make it to the trade deadline before Bergevin has to realign things.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:28 PM, Habberwacky said:

Gallant is fired from Florida. Can we get him back please?

Just listened to NHL Network XM radio and it was reported one of the major reasons he was fired is because upper management wanted players called up that had the higher advanced stats and Gallant felt the team at this time needed more size and was requesting other players that were bigger instead. He is a coach that has been called a players coach and the players all liked , but apparently isn't big on advanced stats in judging players needed.

• 1 month later...

This is the time for MB to be looking at making a trade. Why?

Well for one, he's no longer backed into a corner. It would have been a mistake to react to the Galchenyuk/DD injuries right away and overpay for someone. But we also know this team needs help in the top 6 to be able to realistically make a Cup push. He could wait until the deadline and maybe there will be more sellers, but there's no reason he can't act now either. There are plenty of teams looking for D men, either for immediate help or for the future, so guys like Emelin, Markov, Beaulieu, Juulsen, and Sergachev could be valuable trade assets. The other factor is that the Habs now have several young players playing well up front - Lehkonen, Scherbak, McCarron, Andrighetto, Carr, etc... once we get the likes of Galchenyuk and Shaw and DD back, these youngsters will see their opportunity and value drop off a little bit as their roles diminish. So if MB is planning on using someone as a trade chip, you may as well try to do it after having showcased them.

Of all the players, I think Markov really becomes an interesting trade commodity. He's having a very good year thus far, one of his best in a long time. In all likelihood, his performance has been boosted by playing next to a stud like Petry. And in reality, Beaulieu has really stepped up his game and filled the hole left by Markov since his injury. We do still need some depth on D, but we have the ability to move Marov without hurting our top 4 nor our future D corps. A team looking for D help for the playoffs would probably jump at a guy like Markov, who's got experience, is having a good year, and isn't a cap hit after this season. So could you flip Markov to a team like Chicago, Dallas, Vancouver, Calgary, or so on? Maybe you get a 1st rounder back. Maybe you get a 2nd and a good prospect. Maybe you a young NHL player. It's unlikely you get something that helps you much now, but you probably get a very good asset that you can turn around and ship to the likes of Colorado for Duchene or Landerskog, for example. I'd like to see MB get creative with something like this.