The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Marc Bergevin and staff 2016-17

habs_93

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

This is the time for MB to be looking at making a trade. Why?

Well for one, he's no longer backed into a corner. It would have been a mistake to react to the Galchenyuk/DD injuries right away and overpay for someone. But we also know this team needs help in the top 6 to be able to realistically make a Cup push. He could wait until the deadline and maybe there will be more sellers, but there's no reason he can't act now either. There are plenty of teams looking for D men, either for immediate help or for the future, so guys like Emelin, Markov, Beaulieu, Juulsen, and Sergachev could be valuable trade assets. The other factor is that the Habs now have several young players playing well up front - Lehkonen, Scherbak, McCarron, Andrighetto, Carr, etc... once we get the likes of Galchenyuk and Shaw and DD back, these youngsters will see their opportunity and value drop off a little bit as their roles diminish. So if MB is planning on using someone as a trade chip, you may as well try to do it after having showcased them.

Of all the players, I think Markov really becomes an interesting trade commodity. He's having a very good year thus far, one of his best in a long time. In all likelihood, his performance has been boosted by playing next to a stud like Petry. And in reality, Beaulieu has really stepped up his game and filled the hole left by Markov since his injury. We do still need some depth on D, but we have the ability to move Marov without hurting our top 4 nor our future D corps. A team looking for D help for the playoffs would probably jump at a guy like Markov, who's got experience, is having a good year, and isn't a cap hit after this season. So could you flip Markov to a team like Chicago, Dallas, Vancouver, Calgary, or so on? Maybe you get a 1st rounder back. Maybe you get a 2nd and a good prospect. Maybe you a young NHL player. It's unlikely you get something that helps you much now, but you probably get a very good asset that you can turn around and ship to the likes of Colorado for Duchene or Landerskog, for example. I'd like to see MB get creative with something like this.

Unless we are a cellar dweller and a cup contender came asking for Markov I don't think you will see him shipped out. He's our Nicklas Lidstrom. 

8 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Unless we are a cellar dweller and a cup contender came asking for Markov I don't think you will see him shipped out. He's our Nicklas Lidstrom. 

He's really not. Lidstrom was an exception to the rule and playing at a high level late into his career. Markov has had a good year, but he's been buoyed by Petry. He's too much of a defensive liability on his own to be a top-pairing guy any more. Right now, his value is high. Perfect time to get something useful for him.

Go back a year or two and ask yourself if we should have traded Plekanec. Plenty of people said, sure he's on the wrong side of 30 but he's still playing at such a high level. Same thing here. Don't let a good 30 games from Markov this year take away from the fact that his game has a lot of flaws to it still.

I'd love to see Markov retire as a Canadien but Ted's right, the hockey move is to move him with the goal of getting better today.  Unless we're able to make an exceptional move built on moving Emelin+ our top four is pretty good as is, with our General out.  Windows are larger in Hockey than they are in two of the big four sports in North America, but our time is still winding down.  There's no reason to wait unless you believe a more helpful player will be dangled between now and the deadline, but given our needs there's a pretty big upgrade at the center position that we should have the means to acquire with a little creativity.

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

He's really not. Lidstrom was an exception to the rule and playing at a high level late into his career. Markov has had a good year, but he's been buoyed by Petry. He's too much of a defensive liability on his own to be a top-pairing guy any more. Right now, his value is high. Perfect time to get something useful for him.

Go back a year or two and ask yourself if we should have traded Plekanec. Plenty of people said, sure he's on the wrong side of 30 but he's still playing at such a high level. Same thing here. Don't let a good 30 games from Markov this year take away from the fact that his game has a lot of flaws to it still.

Perhaps and it's logical but the logistics of renting out a useful player when you're trying to be a Cup contender is bad. It wouldn't play well in the room or with the media and you'd get CRUSHED for it when we lost. When we traded Huet to clear the path for Carey, it was the topic of discussion here for months. Also, our depth on D is bad. Even if he's not a 1st pairing guy anymore, he's arguably our best left-handed D. 

2 hours ago, roy_133 said:

Perhaps and it's logical but the logistics of renting out a useful player when you're trying to be a Cup contender is bad. It wouldn't play well in the room or with the media and you'd get CRUSHED for it when we lost. When we traded Huet to clear the path for Carey, it was the topic of discussion here for months. Also, our depth on D is bad. Even if he's not a 1st pairing guy anymore, he's arguably our best left-handed D. 

Markov is definitely highly-regarded by the organization, the coach, and the media, so yes, it's a risk, but it's the type of risk I'd like to see the GM take. Again, by no means am I suggesting they trade Markov for futures and call it a day. I'm suggesting that Markov should have very good value at trade deadline this year as a veteran D man having a good season and on an expiring contract. That's exactly what a lot of contenders are looking for. My thought is to use the fact Markov's value is as high as its been in years (and the fact that it will likely decline again and the fact that he's been buoyed by Petry to numbers above what he's probably capable of this year) to extract value from it. I would try to swap Markov for a 1st rounder or something similar and then use that as a trade asset to acquire something that helps us now and for the future.

So for example, Markov to the Sharks or Stars or Flames or so on for a 1st round pick then turn around and deal something like Juulsen, our 1st, and the acquired 1st to Colorado for Duchene. Colorado is never going to see value in taking Markov, but short of our having two firsts to swap them, they're probably going to demand Sergachev, whom I'm not keen to trade. This gives Colorado an intriguing package and gives us a first-class forward while sacrificing a piece that might have less value to us going forward. Again, just an example, but something like this would be more creative from MB and would give us more trading chips to play with rather than just dealing away our top end prospects.

• 2 weeks later...

Two trades to get us the line up we need to go along way in the play-offs. Trade Desharnais, Pateryn & Carr for Alex Goligoski.
Then trade Plekanec, Beaulieu, Hudon & Ryan Johnston for Matt Duchene and Eric Gelinas.

Our line up looks like this Pacioretty, Duchene, Gallagher
Lehkonen, Galchenyuk, Radulov
Byron, Danault, Shaw
De La Rose, Mitchell, Flynn (Andrighetto)
D- Weber - Goligoski
Emelin - Petry
Markov - Gelinas/Barberio

On 1/15/2017 at 10:23 AM, roy_133 said:

I agree.

If we somehow make some hail-mary trade that sends Markov as part of a package to get Ekman Larsson or something, fine but if we're trading him for a prospect or something, its bad.    

In a perfect world we start using him as a 3rd pairing guy with top PP unit minutes.  He essentially becomes our deadline rental by holding on to him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Two trades to get us the line up we need to go along way in the play-offs. Trade Desharnais, Pateryn & Carr for Alex Goligoski.
Then trade Plekanec, Beaulieu, Hudon & Ryan Johnston for Matt Duchene and Eric Gelinas.

Our line up looks like this Pacioretty, Duchene, Gallagher
Lehkonen, Galchenyuk, Radulov
Byron, Danault, Shaw
De La Rose, Mitchell, Flynn (Andrighetto)
D- Weber - Goligoski
Emelin - Petry
Markov - Gelinas/Barberio

12 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The Bruins just fired Claude Julien.... does MB try grab him as yet another assistant?   

Don't thinks so. If MB did that, it would really make Therrien uncomfortable with 2 former head coaches on his staff.

1 hour ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Can we throw in Bergevin? 

Honestly, i think if you remove his foxhole buddy from the equation, MB becomes a much better GM.  Almost all of his questionable moves seem directly related to how Therrien deploys and evaluates his players.  

17 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Honestly, i think if you remove his foxhole buddy from the equation, MB becomes a much better GM.  Almost all of his questionable moves seem directly related to how Therrien deploys and evaluates his players.  

Methinks Therrien has more input as to who MB will trade for than we think. 

A GM who's really good at his job would have never given an inept coach an extension to begin with.

A real GM would never let a coach play favorites. 

A real GM would have fired MT a long time ago.

A real GM would never have hired him in the first place.

I'm not sure what type of GM MB would be if his buddy wasn't coach but it's obviously a foxhole situation so they both should go. Therrein because the game has passed him by & MB because he keeps letting it happen.

It's obvious to everyone in the hockey world that MT has lost this team.They are in total float mode and he's been unable to figure it out. MB now has an option floating around out there for a replacement and yet he remains silent. This team has barely played 500 hockey since their hot start and are now showing every sign that they've had enough of MT's coaching style from the net out. What's the holdup MB??? Enough is enough. For the love of God,,,,do something. 

25 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

It's obvious to everyone in the hockey world that MT has lost this team.They are in total float mode and he's been unable to figure it out. MB now has an option floating around out there for a replacement and yet he remains silent. This team has barely played 500 hockey since their hot start and are now showing every sign that they've had enough of MT's coaching style from the net out. What's the holdup MB??? Enough is enough. For the love of God,,,,do something. 

I am realistic enough to feel that even if we have a full on collapse now (which is the way I see it), nothing will be done until after the season/POs. MB still has a chance to right this sinking ship before there's too much water to keep it afloat, but, sadly, we'll have to wait another 6 months before anything is done, and another wasted season will be behind us. 

From Nicholas Poulin:

"Marc Bergevin aurait rencontré ses leaders, dont Max Pacioretty, Carey Price et Shea Weber, hier, sans Michel Therrien, via Dany Dubé."

Translation: Marc Bergevin met with his leaders, Max Pacioretty, Carey Price, and Shea Weber yesterday, without Michel Therrien.

He also met with Michel Therrien in private, after or before the players.

WTH's going on?

31 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

From Nicholas Poulin:

"Marc Bergevin aurait rencontré ses leaders, dont Max Pacioretty, Carey Price et Shea Weber, hier, sans Michel Therrien, via Dany Dubé."

Translation: Marc Bergevin met with his leaders, Max Pacioretty, Carey Price, and Shea Weber yesterday, without Michel Therrien.

WTH's going on?

Apparently a bunch of talking.

40 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

From Nicholas Poulin:

WTH's going on?

interesting.  i doubt anything will come of it, but its interesting none the less.