The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Marc Bergevin and staff 2016-17

habs_93

Good analysis of the event by Marc Dumont here:

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/latest-news/2017/2/9/14559794/report-marc-bergevin-meets-with-team-leaders-without-therrien-habs-rumors-yay-good-times-sigh

The interesting thing he suggests is that maybe the 3 'leaders' asked to speak with MB, not the other way around.  Again, i doubt anything will come of it and its probably a non-story but we can always hope it means something. lol. 

3 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

From Nicholas Poulin:

"Marc Bergevin aurait rencontré ses leaders, dont Max Pacioretty, Carey Price et Shea Weber, hier, sans Michel Therrien, via Dany Dubé."

Translation: Marc Bergevin met with his leaders, Max Pacioretty, Carey Price, and Shea Weber yesterday, without Michel Therrien.

He also met with Michel Therrien in private, after or before the players.

WTH's going on?

They're just reviewing the cliches to tell the media after they lose tonight. 

"shea...i know you are charactering, but could you possibly character harder?"

"<sniff> absolutely, yeah ill uh, just try to get in there and uh <sniff> put the ole workboots on and uhhh <sniff> we'll take it from there, try to get those 2 points. thanks marc"

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

"shea...i know you are charactering, but could you possibly character harder?"

"<sniff> absolutely, yeah ill uh, just try to get in there and uh <sniff> put the ole workboots on and uhhh <sniff> we'll take it from there, try to get those 2 points. thanks marc"

:lol: That reminds me of Rene Bourque's "big two points on the road" post-game interview in the playoffs from a few years back.

38 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

^^ It's important to play a 200 foot game and give 110% every night. But you have to take it one game at a time and one shift at a time, and every player has to do his job. After all, the season is a marathon, not a sprint.

Hope I can help the ballclub, etc.

He simply lacks a clear vision forward.  When he first arrived, he wanted to build through the draft with medium term vision.  His mantra then was 'a team in TRANSITION'. Then after 5 barren years, he loses patience and decides to go all in now!  

Yes, it's true good trades are hard to find.  You have to give up a good player for another.  But IMHO, he's just too conservative and afraid to make mistakes to do a BIG trade paying a HIGH price.  So ok, continue to be conservative and pray those 3rd/4th line calibre bargain deals become a game changer.  His blatant cronyism is just a means to shore up his own support base to back his own aimless roadmap.  

This team under him is going nowhere.  Even Carey Price plays like he doesn't care anymore.  Think Radulov is a confirmed signed-on?  Think again.  Watch his frustration when he works hard to set up opportunities but his teammates fail to capitalize.  A skilled player looks to team up with other skilled players who can synergize.  

Any realistic Cup hopes would have to wait until this roster gets blown up after Price, Radulov, Pacioretty leave; Markov retires; Pleky, Weber, Emelin and DD are ridden of etc.  The nucleus would be the younger chaps led by Galchenyuk i.e. McCarron, Danault, Lehkonen, Carr, Sergachev....

7 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

But IMHO, he's just too conservative and afraid to make mistakes to do a BIG trade paying a HIGH price.

I don't necessarily disagree with the thought here, but isn't it funny how narratives can get constructed? We're talking about a GM who traded a dynamic 27-year old Norris winning defenceman for a 30-year old physical defenceman. One could argue he paid an awful high price on that one.

http://thehockeywriters.com/marc-bergevin-overrating-canadiens-prospects/

'Of course, I’m not saying I would trade Sergachev for Hanzal, but if the Avalanche wanted him to complete a deal for Matt Duchene then I wouldn’t think twice about sending him away.

Maybe I’m just tired of watching/reporting on the Canadiens continued mediocrity. Maybe I’m the one that’s overreacting and the simple fact is a team with Paul Byron and Andrew Shaw in their top-six can win a Stanley Cup. If that’s the case, and the Canadiens do win with their current roster composition, then shame on me.

However, I feel pretty confident that it won’t happen so I’m just going to summarize what I stated above. It’s time for Bergevin and company to stop overrating their prospects. It’s time for the general manager of the Canadiens to take after the Stan Bowmans and Dean Lombardis of the world and empty out the cabinet to win now.

If it works out and you do win, then eventually when you have to rebuild or retool like every team has to do, regardless if they win or lose, then it will be much more palatable knowing that you raised Stanley Cup banner No. 25 a few years before. If it doesn’t work out and you don’t win, then hey, you tried. It would be a shame to waste the talents of Shea Weber, Price and so on for the “future” of the Canadiens.

I’ll be blunt: no one can’t honestly say he’s been doing everything he can to really push the Canadiens over the top. So Marc, if you say the time is now, then let’s see what you can do; the deadline is approaching.'

1 hour ago, habs_93 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with the thought here, but isn't it funny how narratives can get constructed? We're talking about a GM who traded a dynamic 27-year old Norris winning defenceman for a 30-year old physical defenceman. One could argue he paid an awful high price on that one.

Yeah, regardless of the outcome, that's probably the biggest deal any GM has swung in recent memory. Norris winners usually don't get traded during their prime years.

10 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

He simply lacks a clear vision forward.  When he first arrived, he wanted to build through the draft with medium term vision.  His mantra then was 'a team in TRANSITION'. Then after 5 barren years, he loses patience and decides to go all in now!  

Yes, it's true good trades are hard to find.  You have to give up a good player for another.  But IMHO, he's just too conservative and afraid to make mistakes to do a BIG trade paying a HIGH price.  So ok, continue to be conservative and pray those 3rd/4th line calibre bargain deals become a game changer.  His blatant cronyism is just a means to shore up his own support base to back his own aimless roadmap.  

This team under him is going nowhere.  Even Carey Price plays like he doesn't care anymore.  Think Radulov is a confirmed signed-on?  Think again.  Watch his frustration when he works hard to set up opportunities but his teammates fail to capitalize.  A skilled player looks to team up with other skilled players who can synergize.  

Any realistic Cup hopes would have to wait until this roster gets blown up after Price, Radulov, Pacioretty leave; Markov retires; Pleky, Weber, Emelin and DD are ridden of etc.  The nucleus would be the younger chaps led by Galchenyuk i.e. McCarron, Danault, Lehkonen, Carr, Sergachev....

Great post! What broke the camel's back for me with Bergevin was the trading of Subban to appease his foxhole buddy Therrien. This was a trade that all the hockey world (except Darren Dreger) pretty much acknowledged was not made to improve the team but to get rid of a player who was too flamboyant and disliked by the coach and some teammates because of his popularity with the fans. The most ironic quote attributed to Therrien was that he could not win a cup with him (PK). Well guess what .... we cannot win a cup with Therrien. The bad news for those waiting for MT to take the long walk off the short plank ...... IT IS NOT HAPPENING!

The foxhole buddy remark from Bergevin signalled that he is all in with his coach and both will need to be fired simultaneously to turn this team around. That means Molson will need to have the gumption to do it and it certainly won't get done until the offseason. Sorry folks. This team cannot win as it is currently constituted and there is no deadline deal that Bergevin can make that will position us to go deep in the playoffs. There are too many holes in the current roster to fix all at once and I do not wish to see Bergevin trading away our future to try and save his skin. I think in the long run, an early and pathetic playoff exit or even missing the playoffs is what is required to finally see the foxhole paved over and competent management brought into the fold. Any modicum of success ie advancing to second playoff round will bring us another season of the gang that can't shoot straight and no closer to winning a Cup .....

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

Yeah, regardless of the outcome, that's probably the biggest deal any GM has swung in recent memory. Norris winners usually don't get traded during their prime years.

So few guys have actually won the Norris though. You look back at the 80s and early 90s and it was mainly Bourque, Coffey, and Chelios winning it. Of those three, both Chelios and Coffey swapped teams while in their primes a little over a year removed from winning the Norris. Before that, Langway was traded from Montreal in the early 80s and won the Norris with the Caps the next two seasons. Niedermayer left NJ after winning the Norris as well. The rest of the 2000s was pretty much dominated by Nik Lidstrom, and since then it's been a little of Keith and Karlsson, and not much room for others. I think it was stupid of us to trade a Norris winner in his prime, but there is precedent for it.

59 minutes ago, eldag said:

Great post! What broke the camel's back for me with Bergevin was the trading of Subban to appease his foxhole buddy Therrien. This was a trade that all the hockey world (except Darren Dreger) pretty much acknowledged was not made to improve the team but to get rid of a player who was too flamboyant and disliked by the coach and some teammates because of his popularity with the fans. The most ironic quote attributed to Therrien was that he could not win a cup with him (PK). Well guess what .... we cannot win a cup with Therrien. The bad news for those waiting for MT to take the long walk off the short plank ...... IT IS NOT HAPPENING!

The foxhole buddy remark from Bergevin signalled that he is all in with his coach and both will need to be fired simultaneously to turn this team around. That means Molson will need to have the gumption to do it and it certainly won't get done until the offseason. Sorry folks. This team cannot win as it is currently constituted and there is no deadline deal that Bergevin can make that will position us to go deep in the playoffs. There are too many holes in the current roster to fix all at once and I do not wish to see Bergevin trading away our future to try and save his skin. I think in the long run, an early and pathetic playoff exit or even missing the playoffs is what is required to finally see the foxhole paved over and competent management brought into the fold. Any modicum of success ie advancing to second playoff round will bring us another season of the gang that can't shoot straight and no closer to winning a Cup .....

been saying this since before the year started.  ive been emotionally invested in this team my whole life, and they actually got me to this alternate dimension where i want them to lose just to expose the fugazi so we can clean house. the last thing i want is us to get into the playoffs, which will guarantee one more year of foxhole, or god forbid squeak through a round which i think would get them 2 more years.  and thats sick. i love this team and seeing them in the playoffs has always been one of my favourite things in the world, and now im actually having these thoughts about the team. 

i had a lot of faith in bergy in the beginning of his tenure, but he is so far off the reservation at this point that im just waiting for it to be over. 

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

been saying this since before the year started.  ive been emotionally invested in this team my whole life, and they actually got me to this alternate dimension where i want them to lose just to expose the fugazi so we can clean house. the last thing i want is us to get into the playoffs, which will guarantee one more year of foxhole, or god forbid squeak through a round which i think would get them 2 more years.  and thats sick. i love this team and seeing them in the playoffs has always been one of my favourite things in the world, and now im actually having these thoughts about the team. 

i had a lot of faith in bergy in the beginning of his tenure, but he is so far off the reservation at this point that im just waiting for it to be over. 

I have exactly the same thoughts Jeff .... saw my first game in person in 1963 with my Dad and have been a fan since then. The long dry spell has been very hard to take .....