The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Claude Julien and staff 2016-17

habs_93

Decision making is just mind boggling at times. Big talk from this organization about leadership, and that should start from the coaching staff, and yet this guy continues to be employed. He wasn't able to right a sinking ship last year and once again his answer to our problems is to throw poor DD out there. Lessons learned?????

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:48 PM, BigTed3 said:

l. But outside of that, the signs have been encouraging that we might finally be able to sustain the pace we're on without our usual epic mid-season collapse.

It's happening

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

With the recent coaching shake-ups, thought I would give my personal rankings of NHL coaches (and where available coaches Julien and Hitchcock stand in my view):

Would note that there are two potential top 10 coaches in the league available now.

And one speaks french too!  That was the biggest argument i heard against firing Therrien last year since our coach must be french, there were no better solutions out there.  Now, with Julien available, there are no more excuses. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

And one speaks french too!  That was the biggest argument i heard against firing Therrien last year since our coach must be french, there were no better solutions out there.  Now, with Julien available, there are no more excuses. 

That's the thing. Many of us thought Therrien should have been fired for past seasons, when data suggested he was doing a bad job coaching and was being saved by Price's performance alone. Almost everyone expected him to be fired when last season proved just that. This season, the Habs have actually played reasonably well up until recently, so the argument can be made that the coaches have been doing a better job, despite the trailing off in our record more recently. That being said, I do think the body of work Therrien has put together since being here shows justification for dismissal. I don't think this particular season is on him, but I think there's enough evidence to suggest he's not a guy who has a legitimate shot at leading us to a Cup. We can debate the merits of language to death, but the fact is that there is now an available coach who fits the language requirements AND actually satisfies the criterion of being the best available coach out there. Language aside, I would hire Julien even if he didn't speak French or English or whatever else.

I think the argument can be made that Therrien doesn't deserve to lose his job based on this season alone (yet). And I think MB will not make any type of an assessment of Therrien's worth based on anything that occurred before this off-season's vote of confidence. So in reality I don't see Therrien going anywhere until at least next off-season, if the Habs finish poorly. But that being said, there is clearly an upgrade available. In fact, there are many upgrades available if you include the non-Francophones, but for argument's sake, let's just talk about Julien. The issue is that Julien will probably be high on the list of anyone else looking for a new coach. Now if I were Julien, I wouldn't jump on the Vegas bandwagon; he has the pedigree to be able to choose a better opening with a higher chance of winning. And I don't see a rush for Claude to join a losing team like Colorado or Phoenix this year for the same reason. But what's to stop Florida from reaching out to him? Or the Isles? MB can wait, but he's risking the possibility Julien will go elsewhere. Maybe that's not such a big deal if you can go out and hire a Muller or Gallant or Hitchcock for yourself next year, but with the Habs self-imposed language restriction, Julien is one of the few men who satisfy both the language criteria and the real test of being a legitimate top-tier coach. If CJ goes elsewhere and MB does decide to make a move in the off-season, he may find himself choosing between Carbo, Hartley, and Roy, and that in itself would be a huge disaster. Without Julien being available, I wouldn't myself fire Therrien now; but I think the lack of true coaching candidates for us going forward has to factor in to maybe jumping the gun on firing Therrien simply to guarantee ourselves a legit coach going forward.

Hey guys what's up? I was thinking about this because he had a winning record when he coached here, but his defensive game was off.. anyway enough rambling. What about rehiring Carbo to team up with Muller and fire Therrien, Lacroix, Jodoin, and JJ Daig. I don't know if they're available but bring in Robinson and Jarvis. That's just a thought.

21 minutes ago, manquant said:

Hey guys what's up? I was thinking about this because he had a winning record when he coached here, but his defensive game was off.. anyway enough rambling. What about rehiring Carbo to team up with Muller and fire Therrien, Lacroix, Jodoin, and JJ Daig. I don't know if they're available but bring in Robinson and Jarvis. That's just a thought.

I think everyone is happy with Carbo right where he is. 

Outside of Julien, there is no reason to want to recycle anyone who has previously been the head coach here. Not Carbo, not Gainey or Tremblay or Cunneyworth, not even Jacques Martin. I think you look at Julien as being the one clear bilingual upgrade right now. After that, if you want a guy with experience then you need to look at non-Francophone candidates like Muller or Gallant or Hitchcock or Dineen.

On 2/8/2017 at 0:44 PM, BigTed3 said:

The issue is that Julien will probably be high on the list of anyone else looking for a new coach. Now if I were Julien, I wouldn't jump on the Vegas bandwagon; he has the pedigree to be able to choose a better opening with a higher chance of winning. And I don't see a rush for Claude to join a losing team like Colorado or Phoenix this year for the same reason. But what's to stop Florida from reaching out to him? Or the Isles? MB can wait, but he's risking the possibility Julien will go elsewhere. Maybe that's not such a big deal if you can go out and hire a Muller or Gallant or Hitchcock for yourself next year, but with the Habs self-imposed language restriction, Julien is one of the few men who satisfy both the language criteria and the real test of being a legitimate top-tier coach. If CJ goes elsewhere and MB does decide to make a move in the off-season, he may find himself choosing between Carbo, Hartley, and Roy, and that in itself would be a huge disaster. Without Julien being available, I wouldn't myself fire Therrien now; but I think the lack of true coaching candidates for us going forward has to factor in to maybe jumping the gun on firing Therrien simply to guarantee ourselves a legit coach going forward.

Heck, not only the lack of other coaching candidates available, but also the fact that Julien could, in all probability, salvage this season and turn it into a real playoff run.  But the Habs would have to act fast and fire MT now and hire Julien immediately....and I would be willing to bet big that Therrien will NOT be fired until it's too late.  And if that's the case, I will only be too happy if Claude Julien decided to accept the head coaching job for the Las Vegas Knights.   

I'm still a Habs fan, but I stand by my prediction that Las Vegas will win a Stanley Cup before Montreal ever does again. 

If Therrien wasn't fired after last season's fiasco, he'll never be fired no matter what happens.  From my perspective, he and Bergevin live and die together.  Both either stay or get fired together.

Only Molson can make the call but sadly, he's still under Bergevin's spell.  

11 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

If Therrien wasn't fired after last season's fiasco, he'll never be fired no matter what happens.  From my perspective, he and Bergevin live and die together.  Both either stay or get fired together.

And also the French media's. 

12 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

bingo. chucky didnt save MT job the other night. we lose 10 in a row, 20 in a row, finish last, doesnt matter. he will be coach as long as bargainbin is GM. 

I don't know... a lot of the French media has had Therrien's back since day one but the growing sentiment in the past week is that Therrien had to have the team perform well in these three games before the break or else he would be in trouble. I think the real turning point was Julien's firing. I think most people realize there is now a bilingual coach out there who is a top coach in the game and a significant upgrade on Therrien. So whereas before it was only people judging on merit that believed Therrien should be fired, now you have some of the hardcore language-first people who are on board as well.

We lost 4 in a row but we've been playing bad hockey and getting out-chanced for about a month now. We lost to the worst team in the league and needed OT against the 2nd-worst team to win. If we lose the next two, going into a long break (perfect time to change coaches), and with Julien potentially an option to us, I think MT could still be on the hotseat.

9 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I don't know... a lot of the French media has had Therrien's back since day one but the growing sentiment in the past week is that Therrien had to have the team perform well in these three games before the break or else he would be in trouble. I think the real turning point was Julien's firing. I think most people realize there is now a bilingual coach out there who is a top coach in the game and a significant upgrade on Therrien. So whereas before it was only people judging on merit that believed Therrien should be fired, now you have some of the hardcore language-first people who are on board as well.

We lost 4 in a row but we've been playing bad hockey and getting out-chanced for about a month now. We lost to the worst team in the league and needed OT against the 2nd-worst team to win. If we lose the next two, going into a long break (perfect time to change coaches), and with Julien potentially an option to us, I think MT could still be on the hotseat.

may the wind be always at your back, and may you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows your dead. and also right about therrien future with the habs

16 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Careful. Bergevin just read your post as re-sign. As in "re-sign him to another 4 years..."

What a nightmare that would be lol. Anyway, any GM in their right mind would have been rid of this coach long ago. Hopefully YOU, MT will recognize your lack of skill & confidence among the fans and among the players and, hopefully you yourself will retire immediately. Please, please resign while our team can still be saved.