The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Claude Julien and staff 2016-17

habs_93

Therrien's not going to step down, this is his dream job... but imagine you're MB just for a second. We know he wants stability and to stay the course as long as possible, which is why he held on to Therrien after last year. BUT, we also know MB is starting to panic in terms of his window to win. When he took over, he told everyone he had a 5-year plan to win a Cup, and 5 years later, we're not really that much closer than where he was left. He's added Petry, he's added Radulov, and then he's added some useful spare parts. But we've also lost Subban and Eller and so on, and we're still 1-2 top-tier players from being a legit frontrunner. And then you look at Galchenyuk needing a raise next year and Price and Pacioretty hitting UFA status soon, and MB's got to feel that if he doesn't win in the next two years, it's going to be nearly impossible to keep his core together and still have enough money under the cap to make the team any better than it is now. All media reports seem to indicate MB has been making a lot of calls trying to hit a homerun at the trade deadline this year, so you have to believe he knows the window is now.

So imagine all that is true. Now tack on that Claude Julien, a top 5 coach in the league who also speaks French, is suddenly available. If Julien's not out there, I don't think MB is even contemplating making a coaching change. But Julien is there. So the question is whether MB values stability in his coaching staff or getting a more valuable coach in place. If MT hasn't been able to take this team to the next level in 5 years, will he get it done this year or next? All in all, I think Bergevin will be too chicken to take the plunge and make a move with his coach. But the thought at least has to be in his brain about whether to pull the trigger. How can it not be?

Well here we are in February  and the wheels have fallen off.     Why?   Any fan and I'd like to think any true hockey mind should be able to recognize that Therrien is the problem.  

Line Management as always are odd choices and strange decisions.    Why is #27 on the third line with the likes of Mitchel?   The excuse is not breaking up the chemistry Patches, Danault and Radulov have developed.   Great ... then #27 should be your #2 center with your next two best scoring wingers as the secondary scoring unit ... not relegated to the 3rd line behind a player who hasn't produced all year (#14).

I do believe Therrien has a place in the NHL ... he's the kind of coach you bring in to transition from a struggling team to a contending team.    He instills systems and work habits ... but he will never be the guy to lead you to the finals.    Hopefully, MB wakes up before it's too late ...

2 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Well here we are in February  and the wheels have fallen off.     Why?   Any fan and I'd like to think any true hockey mind should be able to recognize that Therrien is the problem.  

Line Management as always are odd choices and strange decisions.    Why is #27 on the third line with the likes of Mitchel?   The excuse is not breaking up the chemistry Patches, Danault and Radulov have developed.   Great ... then #27 should be your #2 center with your next two best scoring wingers as the secondary scoring unit ... not relegated to the 3rd line behind a player who hasn't produced all year (#14).

I do believe Therrien has a place in the NHL ... he's the kind of coach you bring in to transition from a struggling team to a contending team.    He instills systems and work habits ... but he will never be the guy to lead you to the finals.    Hopefully, MB wakes up before it's too late ...

Maybe we can make a deal with Las Vegas. They can have MT and we'll pay his salary until his contract is over with if they don't pick any of our players in the draft. 

23 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Therrien's not going to step down, this is his dream job... but imagine you're MB just for a second. We know he wants stability and to stay the course as long as possible, which is why he held on to Therrien after last year. BUT, we also know MB is starting to panic in terms of his window to win. When he took over, he told everyone he had a 5-year plan to win a Cup, and 5 years later, we're not really that much closer than where he was left. He's added Petry, he's added Radulov, and then he's added some useful spare parts. But we've also lost Subban and Eller and so on, and we're still 1-2 top-tier players from being a legit frontrunner. And then you look at Galchenyuk needing a raise next year and Price and Pacioretty hitting UFA status soon, and MB's got to feel that if he doesn't win in the next two years, it's going to be nearly impossible to keep his core together and still have enough money under the cap to make the team any better than it is now. All media reports seem to indicate MB has been making a lot of calls trying to hit a homerun at the trade deadline this year, so you have to believe he knows the window is now.

So imagine all that is true. Now tack on that Claude Julien, a top 5 coach in the league who also speaks French, is suddenly available. If Julien's not out there, I don't think MB is even contemplating making a coaching change. But Julien is there. So the question is whether MB values stability in his coaching staff or getting a more valuable coach in place. If MT hasn't been able to take this team to the next level in 5 years, will he get it done this year or next? All in all, I think Bergevin will be too chicken to take the plunge and make a move with his coach. But the thought at least has to be in his brain about whether to pull the trigger. How can it not be?

while i (unfortunately) agree with you that bergevin will *probably* be too chicken to make a coaching move there are a couple of bright spots to make me think tonight could possibly have been Therrien's last game as coach:

1) People will point to last year as "If he survived that, he will not be fired while MB is GM" but remember that MT was given a pass because price was injured. This year we've been better when players were injured than when we were healthy! lol.  Price is going through a rough patch, players are slumping & MT seems to have no solutions.  This year he probably deserves to be fired less (he's probably had his best stretch as a coach since joining the team) but enough is enough.

2) Julien.  More than anything, last year Therrien escaped the axe, in my mind, because MB felt like there were no suitable french replacements.  Julien is available now & i dont think anyone in their right mind would say MT is a better coach than him.

3) Muller.  The optics of Muller being brought in were very calculated. He wasnt hired as an "assistant' He was an "associate" - which MB himself described as more than an assistant.  This was done to help the team but it was also done (at least from a PR standpoint) to put Therrien on point.

4) New coach bounce back.  We're in trouble right now. Sure we're still (barely) first but we're in a freefall. A big trade may make a difference but nothing will have the same impact as bringing in a new coach. We've seen plenty of teams do it, including Pittsburgh when they fired our very own MT (they were top of their division too) and go on to win the cup that year.  

Will it happen? i dont know. Probably not. The timing is perfect and honestly i think a great coach (Julien) with a real system will turn this team into a contender almost immediately.   MB would still have time to tinker with the lineup but we'd be in the perfect situation heading into the P/Os.  

Fingers (and everything else) crossed that MB got the memo.  

Even look at this year... Isles, Bruins, and Blues have all had huge uplifts from coaching changes. Whether it lasts isn't known, because that also requires the new coach getting a better system in place, but where we are now, could Julien or Gallant or Muller or Hitch do a worse job than what we're already getting. If anything, a coaching change might also be a kick in the butt to guys like Price and Weber and Plekanec and Shaw and Lehkonen and Byron and Emelin, none of whom have played particularly well of late.

I don't think Bergevin will do anything because I'm not sure he's that much more effective as a GM than MT is as a coach.  If, when he first started, he couldn't figure out what the Penguins did -- that you have to fire Therrien if you want to win a Cup -- then he never will.  Plus, he's bowed down to the "demands" that the coach must speak French, so that just confirms that he places winning somewhere near the bottom of his list.  Then there's all the times both MB and MT have been "less than honest" with the public.  

I admire all the hopefulness in the fans who post on this forum.  But after watching this franchise trade away its franchise defenseman in favor of keeping this losing coach (as well as LOTS of really skilled players who could have been utilized better), I believe it's probably too late to fix the damage.  At this point, only a major overhaul will change things, and by then, the careers of our key core players will just about be done with.  

I'm getting really tired of seeing the same mistakes over and over with the Montreal Canadiens, a team that deserves much better.  Thank God Las Vegas will have hockey next season.  I wonder if they've already contacted Claude Julien?

On 2/13/2017 at 0:44 AM, vegasrick said:

I don't think Bergevin will do anything because I'm not sure he's that much more effective as a GM than MT is as a coach.  If, when he first started, he couldn't figure out what the Penguins did -- that you have to fire Therrien if you want to win a Cup -- then he never will.  Plus, he's bowed down to the "demands" that the coach must speak French, so that just confirms that he places winning somewhere near the bottom of his list.  Then there's all the times both MB and MT have been "less than honest" with the public.  

I admire all the hopefulness in the fans who post on this forum.  But after watching this franchise trade away its franchise defenseman in favor of keeping this losing coach (as well as LOTS of really skilled players who could have been utilized better), I believe it's probably too late to fix the damage.  At this point, only a major overhaul will change things, and by then, the careers of our key core players will just about be done with.  

I'm getting really tired of seeing the same mistakes over and over with the Montreal Canadiens, a team that deserves much better.  Thank God Las Vegas will have hockey next season.  I wonder if they've already contacted Claude Julien?

Rick, you've echoed my feelings here spot on.  We're past the point of hope with these guys, and like you said the point of no return was when they traded Subban as a 'fix' for last year's disaster.  There is nothing at this point that will get my hopes up that Therrien will be fired: not a few bad games, not a bad season, not a week off, not Julien being available, not the ghost of Scotty Bowman rising up on national TV and offering to take the job.  Therrien will be coach as long as Bergevin is GM, and Bergevin won't be fired in the middle of a season in which the Habs are (somehow) in first place.

The bad: Julien has been reluctant to extend trust to rookies, just like Therrien. He's overused "gritty" "character" players at key moments (like Chris Kelly and that "Maroon Line"), just like Therrien did with both Desharnais and endless grinders. He overdeployed Chara, just like Therrien deployed Weber. He's a bit hotter with officials.

The good: Julien unquestionably understands modern possession hockey and knows how to get a team controlling the puck. He seems to pick up on trends and spot emerging talent well above average of NHL coaches. He's a bit hotter with officials.

I think it's entirely reasonable to be optimistic right now. Julien is the kind of guy who could shake up the structure of the team and transform how it plays.

This is a happy moment overall and welcome back Claude.

I do have mixed emotions about this move which I will enumerate at the risk of sounding like Debbie downer:

1)So MT's greatest accomplishment was chasing one of our few homegrown generational players out of town. So ... now what Mr. Bergevin??? Trade GallyA? This move took far too long to happen and I am mostly of the opinion the team is worse than before the fateful day PK was traded ...

2)This move is designed to save Bergevin's job and my preference was for him to be dismissed as well. I do not think he is competent based on the state of the team and the amount of dishonesty that was seen last season about all the injuries and about the PK trade...

3)Claude Julien is a respected coach but he is also being recycled here because he speaks French. He was found wanting in his previous stint with the team, just like Therrien ....... I will give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment as he is clearly preferable to Michel Terrible .....

We'll see what the remainder of this season holds .......

BON CHANCE Claude ...... we are with you win or tie .........