The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Claude Julien and staff 2016-17

habs_93

16 hours ago, eldag said:

This is a happy moment overall and welcome back Claude.

I do have mixed emotions about this move which I will enumerate at the risk of sounding like Debbie downer:

1)So MT's greatest accomplishment was chasing one of our few homegrown generational players out of town. So ... now what Mr. Bergevin??? Trade GallyA? This move took far too long to happen and I am mostly of the opinion the team is worse than before the fateful day PK was traded ...

2)This move is designed to save Bergevin's job and my preference was for him to be dismissed as well. I do not think he is competent based on the state of the team and the amount of dishonesty that was seen last season about all the injuries and about the PK trade...

3)Claude Julien is a respected coach but he is also being recycled here because he speaks French. He was found wanting in his previous stint with the team, just like Therrien ....... I will give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment as he is clearly preferable to Michel Terrible .....

We'll see what the remainder of this season holds .......

BON CHANCE Claude ...... we are with you win or tie .........

Legit points and concerns.  My thoughts:

1) I think the team is (currently) better than we were when PK was traded  - but not because of the trade. We're better because of Radulov, because Galchenyuk has progressed, because some other players have stepped up.   Weber, while still a great player, is a downgrade on PK no matter how you slice it, and id rather have Eller than Shaw, but overall i think the team is better today than it was last year.

2) I think Bergevin - Therrien = a much better GM. We shall see but i think he let his coach have way too much say.  Normally that isnt a bad thing (and shouldnt be with Julien) but Therrien was clearly a very very bad evaluator of talent, so basing moves on his needs/desires was a recipe for disaster.

3) In fairness to Julien, he's a LOT better now than he was then. He cut his teeth with our club and learned a lot but was still a very new coach. He seemed to change in his short stint with NJ and then became the coach he is today in Boston, getting a lot more out of his players than most expected.

You never know what to expect from a new coach but i have high hopes for Julien in his second stint with the club. 

On a first note....this seems rather odd to just "meld" Julien's thread into Therrien's.  He deserves a fresh start in every regard.  But I guess the "staff" is still the same, for now at least, so perhaps that's the reason.  

But secondly, I think CJ will definitely want to prove that the Bruins made a mistake by firing him and will go all out with our club.  A couple of years ago we watched Tampa Bay skate all around us on their way to the Finals.  That was a well-coached team having their way with a poorly-coached team.  I think Julien has it in him to bring out the Habs' best qualities and get them to play a similar type of blazing hockey, while at the same time being very responsible positionally.  Once Price gets back to his league-leading ways, the Canadiens have a real shot of FINALLY making some noise come playoff time.  In other words: I just don't see this team, under Julien, "collapsing" or "melting down" as they have done so many, many times in the past.  I see them fighting all the way till the last whistle -- which is all I've ever hoped for in a playoff run.  

2 hours ago, vegasrick said:

On a first note....this seems rather odd to just "meld" Julien's thread into Therrien's.  He deserves a fresh start in every regard.  But I guess the "staff" is still the same, for now at least, so perhaps that's the reason.  

But secondly, I think CJ will definitely want to prove that the Bruins made a mistake by firing him and will go all out with our club.  A couple of years ago we watched Tampa Bay skate all around us on their way to the Finals.  That was a well-coached team having their way with a poorly-coached team.  I think Julien has it in him to bring out the Habs' best qualities and get them to play a similar type of blazing hockey, while at the same time being very responsible positionally.  Once Price gets back to his league-leading ways, the Canadiens have a real shot of FINALLY making some noise come playoff time.  In other words: I just don't see this team, under Julien, "collapsing" or "melting down" as they have done so many, many times in the past.  I see them fighting all the way till the last whistle -- which is all I've ever hoped for in a playoff run.  

I'm really happy you got the chance to change your sig, Rick. :)

9 hours ago, maas_art said:

Legit points and concerns.  My thoughts:

1) I think the team is (currently) better than we were when PK was traded  - but not because of the trade. We're better because of Radulov, because Galchenyuk has progressed, because some other players have stepped up.   Weber, while still a great player, is a downgrade on PK no matter how you slice it, and id rather have Eller than Shaw, but overall i think the team is better today than it was last year.

2) I think Bergevin - Therrien = a much better GM. We shall see but i think he let his coach have way too much say.  Normally that isnt a bad thing (and shouldnt be with Julien) but Therrien was clearly a very very bad evaluator of talent, so basing moves on his needs/desires was a recipe for disaster.

3) In fairness to Julien, he's a LOT better now than he was then. He cut his teeth with our club and learned a lot but was still a very new coach. He seemed to change in his short stint with NJ and then became the coach he is today in Boston, getting a lot more out of his players than most expected.

You never know what to expect from a new coach but i have high hopes for Julien in his second stint with the club. 

I ran a poll before the season started about whether the Habs would be better this year than last, and your first point was my exact argument. I thought this year's edition was superior to last year's DESPITE the Weber/Shaw for Subban/Eller trade-off and that the major reason for that was the acquisition of Radulov to fill out the top 6, something we hadn't had on last year's team. Lehkonen has been a pleasant surprise, as has Danault, although I'm somewhat disappointed we haven't seen more of McCarron and any of Hudon really. Hopefully CJ is more willing to play skill than MT.

7 hours ago, habs_93 said:

I'm really happy you got the chance to change your sig, Rick. :)

You have no idea how happy I am also.  It's like, for 23 years we've been waiting for this moment.  All of a sudden, it's here.  And I'll tell ya....it's eerily similar to Trump winning the presidency instead of that God-awful corrupt Hillary, or comparable to Brexit as well, in that now there's some hope where there was none just a little while ago.  Did the planets align or something?  It's like waking up at the dawning of a new day at the beginning of a golden age.  

I realize it's still just a hockey team, but there's a lot of virtue in sports....which makes it that much more of a pleasure to see competition at such high levels.  We love hockey because it's the greatest sport in every category: skill, team play, individual effort, speed, toughness, strategy....hockey has it all.  Even fighting, which sometimes professional boxing doesn't even have.  It's just beautiful to see the game played effectively, and that's what I'm expecting now from our new coach.  I think he really wants to win, and win NOW.  

Plus, there are a few built-in advantages that favor him even more.  First, the Habs are still a first-place (division leading) team.  Second, he's replacing Michel Therrien whose pattern is that when he gets fired, his former team wins the Championship with their new coach.   Third, as a coach, he has only improved because he hasn't "forgotten" anything along the way, only learned new things.  He's at his best RIGHT NOW.   Fourth, though he might not admit it, he probably wants to prove that Boston made a mistake in firing him.  Fifth, he possesses valuable inside information about at least one of the Habs' rival teams.  And sixth, he just got hired by a team that has the world's best goaltender, and that's gotta be worth a lot.  

Maybe the planets did align after all.  

6 hours ago, vegasrick said:

Plus, there are a few built-in advantages that favor him even more.  

.  Second, he's replacing Michel Therrien whose pattern is that when he gets fired, his former team wins the Championship with their new coach.  

It only happened once , when Pittsburgh fired him .

When Montreal canned him they didn't win a cup

7 hours ago, Regis22 said:

It only happened once , when Pittsburgh fired him .

When Montreal canned him they didn't win a cup

True but the habs team that he inherited wasn't a contender. The pens were built to win, they just needed to get rid of an incompetent couch. It's *eerily the similar with us now. The only two pieces I think that are missing is a top 4 defensemen. I believe we have a puck moving one already. I think we need a sniper for the top 6.  If mb can't find in a trade, I think they should try Scherbak or another player from the farm. if nothing else let Rad mentor Scherbak.

It still makes me happy coming back to look at this thread.

On 2/7/2017 at 9:13 PM, BigTed3 said:

With the recent coaching shake-ups, thought I would give my personal rankings of NHL coaches (and where available coaches Julien and Hitchcock stand in my view):

1. Quenneville

2. Sutter

3. Babcock

4. Julien

I think your list is pretty right on, Ted. And isn't it amazing to go from one of the worst coaches in the league to the top 5?

5 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

It still makes me happy coming back to look at this thread.

I think your list is pretty right on, Ted. And isn't it amazing to go from one of the worst coaches in the league to the top 5?

Yup. Rare is the case where the best available Francophone coach is also the best available coach. This was one, which is why it was imperative MB didn't pass up the opportunity. If I could addend what I wrote as a list before, this is my opinion of who the best Francophone coaches currently or recently in the NHL are:

1. Julien

2. Vigneault

3. Martin

4. Boucher

5. Therrien

6. Roy

7. Hartley

8. Carbonneau

9. Tremblay

The problem is that most of those guys are coaches who have already been here. Only the first two on the list would ever be worth recycling, and the only other guy on the list worth giving a shot to would have been Boucher. But otherwise, the pickings are slim with respect to French-speaking coaches and would either necessitate going with an inexperienced guy or a non-Francophone.

Interestingly, someone asked MB about the request to interview Gallant, and MB said he would neither confirm or deny it and didn't want to discuss it... to me, that's pretty much an admission that it was true and MB probably didn't want to open up the can of worms about whether he would hire an anglophone.

`Carey Price says it feels like a brand new season is starting for the Montreal Canadiens with Claude Julien now at the helm.

Julien ran his first practice with his new team on Friday, three days after replacing Michel Therrien as Montreal's head coach. Julien's first game behind the bench will be Saturday afternoon against the Winnipeg Jets.

For Price, Julien's arrival feels like a fresh start.

"He has a positive vibe to him," said Price, who was on Team Canada with Julien at the World Cup of Hockey in September. "Every time I've worked with him he's been easy to talk to. He was very positive, very upbeat.

"(Today) kind of felt like a new season."

The goaltender's comments were echoed throughout Montreal's dressing room after their hour-long practice on Friday, which capped off the team's bye week.

"Guys are getting a bit of a clean start," said captain Max Pacioretty. "We got a boost of energy and came into this practice feeling refreshed from the break."

Added defenceman Nathan Beaulieu: "He (Julien) is enthusiastic and excited to be here. He seems like a guy who accepts challenges and wants to win under all circumstances."

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin fired Therrien on Tuesday, hoping to breathe new life into his team and put an end to a prolonged slump.

Montreal, though still leading the Atlantic Division, has one win in its last seven games and is 6-10-2 since the first week of January.

The Habs started the season 13-1-1 but have been playing .500 hockey ever since (18-18-7). Montreal has only scored 10 goals in seven games this month, with half of those coming in the team's only win in February — 5-4 against Arizona.

Price says the players were simply no longer responding to Therrien's message.

"We weren't playing with as much enthusiasm as maybe we should have been," he said. "The guys weren't playing with a lot of confidence either. (Therrien's firing) woke everybody up."

Friday's practice — under the watchful eyes of hundreds of Canadiens fans at the team's training facility — was the team's first skate since a 4-0 loss against Boston on Sunday.

In one of his first moves as head coach, Julien shuffled the lines and put centre Alex Galchenyuk on the first trio with Pacioretty and Alexander Radulov.

Galchenyuk frequently played with wingers Paul Byron and Artturi Lehkonen under Therrien instead of with Montreal's top goal scorers.

The 56-year-old Julien, now in his second stint with the Habs after coaching the team from 2003 to 2006, says any changes made now are simply tentative. The veteran coach, who spent a decade with the Boston Bruins before he was fired on Feb. 7, warned that he is still figuring things out with his new team.

"I don't want to change everything," said Julien, who won a Stanley Cup with the Bruins in 2011. "I'm just making slight adjustments. These guys have a brand new opportunity here. The players will appreciate that.

"I'll try some things, and if it doesn't work, then we'll adjust accordingly."

Julien's first big test will be a Jets side that has lost five of their last six games.

"I want us to be a hard team to play against," said Julien, who signed a five-year deal with the Canadiens. "And that doesn't mean that we're running everyone through the boards. I want to make it hard for other teams to have success. And if they're going to score goals, they're going to have to earn them.

"That's what hard to play is."

Notes: Therrien went 271-198-73 in 542 career regular-season games with Montreal. … Julien won the Jack Adams trophy in 2009. … Julien had a 72-62-25 record in 159 regular-season games in his first stint with Montreal.

http://nanaimonewsnow.com/article/525919/canadiens-players-feel-positive-vibe-new-coach-claude-julien

Cj likes to build his teams from the center. I think this means the end of dd getting ice time. The lines at practice were beautiful simply because dd wasn't on one.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Byron-Plekanec-Gallagher 
Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw 
Andrighetto-Mitchell-Flynn
Emelin-Weber 
Markov-Petry 
Beaulieu-Nesterov

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/claude-julien-holds-first-practice-back-in-montreal/c-286871812

"I want us to be a hard team to play against," said Julien, who signed a five-year deal with the Canadiens. "And that doesn't mean that we're running everyone through the boards. I want to make it hard for other teams to have success. And if they're going to score goals, they're going to have to earn them.

I felt a little tingly when I read this. 

9 hours ago, habs1952 said:

I felt a little tingly when I read this. 

Refreshing isn`t it! :6280:

Well that quote can be scary also as Jullien has always been a defense first coach. I'm hoping the best and not saying a change wasn't needed. I was just hoping for more of an up tempo type style of coach. It's actually what Boston went to after he left. He has also run good offensively talented players out of town if they weren't also good defensively see Seguin and Kessel both he didn't like their defensive play. I'm sure it'll start out with great enthusiasm. We'll see after 20 games in. Go Habs !!!

13 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Well that quote can be scary also as Jullien has always been a defense first coach.

If by "defence first" you mean his goaltenders had great seasons, that's certainly true. But Julien's teams in Boston consistently controlled the flow of play. According to Corsica.hockey, since 2009-10, Boston has had 3 seasons in the top 20 for adjusted 5-on-5 Corsi For, up there with Chicago and Los Angeles. I don't see how controlling 55.37% of 5-on-5 shot attempts over a full season, like Boston did in 2013-14, can be called "defence first".