Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Claude Julien and staff 2016-17


habs_93
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 4/4/2017 at 0:47 PM, BigTed3 said:

I have no doubt that if we'd stuck with Therrien, we'd be battling for a playoff spot at this point and possibly be on the outside looking in. The coaching change took care of removing the weakest link on the team and that has paid dividends.

Even if we made the playoffs easily with Therrien, we would then no doubt have experienced another series of mind-boggling mishaps from behind the bench, resulting in yet another year ending in frustration.  With Claude Julien coaching this team, we're finally going to see what our boys are capable of.  I don't expect another epic collapse this time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2017 at 11:42 PM, vegasrick said:

With Claude Julien coaching this team, we're finally going to see what our boys are capable of.  I don't expect another epic collapse this time.  

 

Yeah, as good as CJ has been in the short time he's been here, a 7 game series where coaches actually have to try to overcome the other teams' systems is where he really shines.  It doesnt always work but unlike his predecessor, Julien will make logical and calculated moves which should give us a chance to win every series we're in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

 

Yeah, as good as CJ has been in the short time he's been here, a 7 game series where coaches actually have to try to overcome the other teams' systems is where he really shines.  It doesnt always work but unlike his predecessor, Julien will make logical and calculated moves which should give us a chance to win every series we're in. 

Agreed, it won't just be, "If I chew enough gum, it should hide the fact that I don't know (care) what I'm doing" Oh crap, we just got scored on again.  Fourth line, get out there!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Agreed, it won't just be, "If I chew enough gum, it should hide the fact that I don't know (care) what I'm doing" Oh crap, we just got scored on again.  Fourth line, get out there!"

Not sure if it's true or not but I heard the first thing Julien did when he was hired was to scrape all the gum from the bottom of his desk top.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The pressure is now on our new coach.  Many of our boys played their hearts out Wednesday, others were dead weight.  Most of us feel that some of our assets are being misused or wasted, like Galchenyuk for example.  Well, now we've got a real coach, let's see his countermeasures for the next game on home ice where he has last change.  

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the first game, but if we see Nesterov on the ice again, and/or King with more ice time than Galchenyuk, and we lose Game 2, then I'll start shaking my head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So he still started Game 2 with the same lines, but eventually made the adjustments to cut Nesterov's ice time (basically plastering him to the bench) and put Chucky with better (scoring) linemates. 

Even though we were very lucky to come out with that OT win, the team played a much better game and for longer stretches.  Their passing and positional play had noticeably improved.  The Rangers only scored when the Habs made mistakes.  For once, we scored a goal with our goalie pulled.  Then we dominated overtime, for the most part.  

A lot of us feel we have better options than King, but if Julien sticks with him and the team goes about its business and limits the mistakes, they should continue to be the better team and take this series.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Game 3 showed more improvements.  No more Nesterov, and the boys played an even more dominating game.  King even had his best game of the series, which isn't saying much.  I agree that we still have better options there, but it's hard to argue with the results.  The only shame was losing Price's shutout on yet another fluke goal (off one of our guys this time).  

Our special teams were fantatstic, scoring two power play goals and giving up none, again.  Our PK has blanked the Rangers' PP the entire series.  Good thing, too, 'cuz the gift basket zebras are trying their un-level best to give the Bloo Shurtz every opportunity possible. 

I don't expect the Rangers to come out flat in Game 4, so Julien better be ready with evasive action.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, Game 4 was the most embarrassing effort ever put to ice.  (At least this season.)  So, I hope Coach Julien rallies the troops and realizes what a mistake it was to let the boys run free in New York City or whatever it was they did on the day off.  

The time for playing around is the off season!  These are the playoffs!  Win or go home!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

i think you missed a LOT of games if you thought that was the most embarrassing this year   :4322::4322:

That road game against CJB comes to mind.

Or the ugly shutout loss in DET where we managed like what, 15 shots on goal from the perimeter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ChiLla said:

That road game against CJB comes to mind.

Or the ugly shutout loss in DET where we managed like what, 15 shots on goal from the perimeter?

Maybe....but the stakes weren't as high for those games as they were in New York Tuesday.  I remember those two games.  Yes, they were bad.  But if you really watched the team Tuesday, you knew right away something was very wrong, and it never got better.  At this point in the season, at least to my mind, it is far more embarrassing to put in a sad performance like that right after showing the world you could dominate the goonery-led Rags and their biased zebras.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, vegasrick said:

Maybe....but the stakes weren't as high for those games as they were in New York Tuesday.  I remember those two games.  Yes, they were bad.  But if you really watched the team Tuesday, you knew right away something was very wrong, and it never got better.  At this point in the season, at least to my mind, it is far more embarrassing to put in a sad performance like that right after showing the world you could dominate the goonery-led Rags and their biased zebras.  

Worse yet, Julien may spend the summer thinking about that move as it may be the final straw. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

I hope he adjusts the game plan so that the Habs won't run out of gas half-way through the game... like they did last game. IMO it is not in the Habs best interest to try to compete physically too much. Play smart not just hard.

I agree, and I've been saying this for the last few games.

The Rangers are going to win the dirtbag game, period. We will not one-up them on that, no matter what we do. It isn't worth it to try. I'm not saying the team should be physically passive, but the whole "crash and bang" stuff is a waste of time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, habs_93 said:

I agree, and I've been saying this for the last few games.

The Rangers are going to win the dirtbag game, period. We will not one-up them on that, no matter what we do. It isn't worth it to try. I'm not saying the team should be physically passive, but the whole "crash and bang" stuff is a waste of time.

Also agree .... our advantage is speed and getting in on the fore check where we can apply the body judiciously and with purpose ..... guys like GallyB/Shaw/Lehks/Rads/Danault/Mitchell excel at this part of the game and getting into the dirty areas in front of the net. If we are simply trying to outhit the Rangers we will lose ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, habs_93 said:

I agree, and I've been saying this for the last few games.

The Rangers are going to win the dirtbag game, period. We will not one-up them on that, no matter what we do. It isn't worth it to try. I'm not saying the team should be physically passive, but the whole "crash and bang" stuff is a waste of time.

We don't need to crash and bang but we do need to finish the check. We need to make them aware they will be hit if they take that extra second to make a play. We need to make them rush and make mistakes. Flybys just give them too much time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lets face it we were not much faster than the Rangers so we were not going to beat them with speed they are a bit bigger have a better forward group and once the goalie got into the groove we were never going to beat them. we still have the same issues we did in the last few years we are short of forward talent with size. we still need a winger or two and a real #1 center. #27 is never going to be that guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Lets face it we were not much faster than the Rangers so we were not going to beat them with speed they are a bit bigger have a better forward group and once the goalie got into the groove we were never going to beat them. we still have the same issues we did in the last few years we are short of forward talent with size. we still need a winger or two and a real #1 center. #27 is never going to be that guy.

Thing is though, they ahve a really weak defensive corps.  We should have been throwing every ounce of talent we had at them.  Not dressing King, or Flynn or even Ott (although he was quite good at times) instead putting in guys like Mitchell, Mac, Hudon, Carr etc.  We did not exploit their biggest flaw & it cost us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Clement Jodin (SP?), has resigned as assistant coach.

Jodoin i think.

Its interesting.  It sounds like he left on his own (MB and CJ seemed to indicate they didnt want him to leave) so if it was his choice I suspect its one of a few things:

1) he felt like he was passed over by CJ and wants a shot at being HC.
2) he didnt get along with CJ or MB
3) he knows something big is coming & wanted to pull a "You cant fire me, i quit" move 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Jodoin i think.

Its interesting.  It sounds like he left on his own (MB and CJ seemed to indicate they didnt want him to leave) so if it was his choice I suspect its one of a few things:

1) he felt like he was passed over by CJ and wants a shot at being HC.
2) he didnt get along with CJ or MB
3) he knows something big is coming & wanted to pull a "You cant fire me, i quit" move 

My guess is that it's the last one. No one has come calling for Jodoin as a head coach and he's been around for a long time. I think it's not just that he isn't the HC here, he's also behind Muller and Lacroix in the pecking order too. I think Jodoin realized that CJ would likely bring in at least one of his own guys, if not more, and that he was pretty likely to be let go or re-assigned. Frankly, I don't think we'd miss any of our assistants outside of Muller and Waite, so the quicker they take off, the better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice article on Julien & what he inherited: Here.

I know nearly no fans are giving him a hard time - he came into a very tough situation - but I agree with most of the thinking & the logic in the article. If only we could have hired him a few months earlier.  I can almost guarantee guys like King and Flynn wouldnt have been in our lineup in the playoffs but Julien felt he had to go with the "safe" plays. 

 

It will be interesting to see what he manages to do with this roster next year - and of course will be interesting to see what players he has on his roster to start the season. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Nice article on Julien & what he inherited: Here.

I know nearly no fans are giving him a hard time - he came into a very tough situation - but I agree with most of the thinking & the logic in the article. If only we could have hired him a few months earlier.  I can almost guarantee guys like King and Flynn wouldnt have been in our lineup in the playoffs but Julien felt he had to go with the "safe" plays. 

 

It will be interesting to see what he manages to do with this roster next year - and of course will be interesting to see what players he has on his roster to start the season. 
 

I know how much everyone hated Terrien, but there isn't a huge difference here. Even the game winning goal against, CJ after a 90 second TV time out chose to put our 4 line on the ice in the defensive zone and the Rangers at home of course than chose his 1st . line which kept us boxed in and scored. CJ has always loved the veteran players and "safe" choices also. He had been due to injuries play some of Boston's young players and only when let go did Boston play them more. I have a good friend that's a Bruins fan and has said for years the same things I read all the time on here about over using veterans not give young guys the chance and defense first. A lot of Bruins fans were tires of the old school mentality and were glad he was gone. We'll see but don't be surprised if it's not a lot different when it comes to player deployment. See Chucky

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of my bigger concerns for the off-season had to do with our associate coach who's title might have helped his position. I did not hear Muller's name mentioned in Buffalo so it appears safe. I do think we could see Julien bring in some assistants. I think our Ice-cap staff will be along for the move to Laval after making the playoffs this year. We appear to be headng in the right direction on the farm, but the big club still needs quite a bit of tweeking. This http://www.gohabsgo.com/2017/04/25/coaching-staff-changes-as-of-today-for-the-habs/  is all I have found on the plans for our coaching staff and I think any changes need to be made before the NHL Draft in the summer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎27 at 2:55 PM, CaptWelly said:

I know how much everyone hated Terrien, but there isn't a huge difference here. Even the game winning goal against, CJ after a 90 second TV time out chose to put our 4 line on the ice in the defensive zone and the Rangers at home of course than chose his 1st . line which kept us boxed in and scored. CJ has always loved the veteran players and "safe" choices also. He had been due to injuries play some of Boston's young players and only when let go did Boston play them more. I have a good friend that's a Bruins fan and has said for years the same things I read all the time on here about over using veterans not give young guys the chance and defense first. A lot of Bruins fans were tires of the old school mentality and were glad he was gone. We'll see but don't be surprised if it's not a lot different when it comes to player deployment. See Chucky

I have been saying this for a while ... Julien's player deployment has me very concerned for the future. He is a good strategist but he is reluctant to use his younger players which we saw in the series with the Rangers. Combined with our so-called general manager who has no idea what constitutes talent this does not bode well.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...