The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Claude Julien and staff 2016-17

habs_93

PK Subban taking more parting shots at the Habs today... stated that in Nashville, Peter Laviolette went out of his way to make Subban feel welcome on the first day he arrived and told him that as a coach, he recognized that there would be different personalities in the room, embraced that as a good thing, and told him it was his job to make it work. Wow, what a foreign concept for a coach to try and make his team meld together!

Some of this comes off as sour grapes from Subby, but the fact is that he was treated so badly here and he kept his mouth shut for so long while he was here, that I honestly can't fault Subban for appreciating the culture change and enjoying feeling wanted by his coach and GM.

I wish Subban the best , but as much as fans we grew to like him. None of actually know how the team dynamics really were. It is a business and the team is not obligated to tell us either. We can choose to believe who we want , but who is to say if Subban is venting or the management was correct. There have been a lot of players in different sports that haven't gotten along and sometimes it does effect the team. He is not the first "star" player to traded away from an organization. I do believe he will actually become a better player now. Not because he'll have total freedom because no coach does that, but because he probably learned a lesson from this experience. I'm not saying it was his fault but maybe if he had tried to play within his coaches format system whatever he may still be here. It doesn't matter if you're Lindstrom (who knew when and when not to take chances) or Orr. There are times as boring as it is you have to make the safe play. I think there is fault on both sides. He plays his style and its not the coaches style someone or both have to adapt. The big personality is great for the fans but not always great in the dressing room. As far as I'm concerned I wish him luck (unless Nashville is playing us!)

4 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I wish Subban the best , but as much as fans we grew to like him. None of actually know how the team dynamics really were. It is a business and the team is not obligated to tell us either. We can choose to believe who we want , but who is to say if Subban is venting or the management was correct. There have been a lot of players in different sports that haven't gotten along and sometimes it does effect the team. He is not the first "star" player to traded away from an organization. I do believe he will actually become a better player now. Not because he'll have total freedom because no coach does that, but because he probably learned a lesson from this experience. I'm not saying it was his fault but maybe if he had tried to play within his coaches format system whatever he may still be here. It doesn't matter if you're Lindstrom (who knew when and when not to take chances) or Orr. There are times as boring as it is you have to make the safe play. I think there is fault on both sides. He plays his style and its not the coaches style someone or both have to adapt. The big personality is great for the fans but not always great in the dressing room. As far as I'm concerned I wish him luck (unless Nashville is playing us!)

Just a quick comment on the highlighted portion. Not sure i would agree with that philosophy. Fans are in effect share holders in the business.  No fans no company it's as simple as that. Just like the manufacturer's of a product. If you don't take your customers concerns seriously, you won't survive long.

27 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Just a quick comment on the highlighted portion. Not sure i would agree with that philosophy. Fans are in effect share holders in the business.  No fans no company it's as simple as that. Just like the manufacturer's of a product. If you don't take your customers concerns seriously, you won't survive long.

Fans can become share holders as anyone can buy stock of a publicly traded company. To be a share holder because we buy the product actually isn't correct. I have owned several GM vehicles but own no GM stock and because I shop at a Wal-Mart doesn't make me a stock holder. We all may be emotionally vested in a team or a sport yes. But I lost no money when the league went on lock out. I was disappointed because hockey is my favorite sport but life went on. It definitely does depend on the market what a sporting franchise may be able to get away with. Dallas Cowboys had a horrible season last year. They still are the #1 money franchise and being football in Dallas will continue. Hockey is the same in Montreal. The sport and fan base is large enough that the Canadiens will continue to make money as Toronto has and Edmonton. Unfortunately for the fan base if everyone let their season tickets go others would grab them. So as a business they have no obligation to tell us everything about injuries or why they trade or draft or hire who they do. Sometimes it's tough being a fan. I've been a habs fan since about 1966 or so. At a time before social media it was just gate receipts. Because we post or anything else until we're sitting in a board seat or have a majority share the sport we grew as kids all playing and loving at this level is a business. I may be foolish and loyal beyond but Go Habs! to the end! 

The line blender has come out early this year. The problem with Therrien is that when things start to go badly, he doesn't have the coaching ability to make adjustments to his system or to counter the other team's game plan. His only tactic is to start throwing paint at the wall and churning up his line combos until someone scores a goal (at which point people inaccurately give him credit for coming up with the new combos and he then continues to use whatever random combos he's come up with).

From last night,

- Lehkonen has been one of the best forwards on the team the first two games. He led the team in shots and scoring chances in the first game. He's in the right spot. He's an offensive player. Yet he gets demoted to the 4th line. The guy scored a goal and was the screen in front on one of Petry's, yet he gets very little ice time and gets demoted because he's a rookie and is an easy target for Therrien to pick on.

- Byron, who should be a 4th line player every night and nothing more, manages to make his way up to the 1st line not even two games into the season. Is he going to be the new Dale Weise or Travis Moen or Michael Blunden? There is no reason to have pluggers playing in the top 6.

- Therrien stated Pacman-Galchenyuk-Gallagher would be his #1 line... again, it didn't last 5 periods before he tore it apart again. How do you expect guys to develop chemistry like this. How can that line produce goals in the first game and play well and then get torn up for one bad period. Does Therrien believe that those players being on 80+ point pace is not sufficient?

So frustrating to watch a coach with no imagination and no real game plan continue to butcher the line-up like this.

38 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The line blender has come out early this year. The problem with Therrien is that when things start to go badly, he doesn't have the coaching ability to make adjustments to his system or to counter the other team's game plan. His only tactic is to start throwing paint at the wall and churning up his line combos until someone scores a goal (at which point people inaccurately give him credit for coming up with the new combos and he then continues to use whatever random combos he's come up with).

From last night,

- Lehkonen has been one of the best forwards on the team the first two games. He led the team in shots and scoring chances in the first game. He's in the right spot. He's an offensive player. Yet he gets demoted to the 4th line. The guy scored a goal and was the screen in front on one of Petry's, yet he gets very little ice time and gets demoted because he's a rookie and is an easy target for Therrien to pick on.

- Byron, who should be a 4th line player every night and nothing more, manages to make his way up to the 1st line not even two games into the season. Is he going to be the new Dale Weise or Travis Moen or Michael Blunden? There is no reason to have pluggers playing in the top 6.

- Therrien stated Pacman-Galchenyuk-Gallagher would be his #1 line... again, it didn't last 5 periods before he tore it apart again. How do you expect guys to develop chemistry like this. How can that line produce goals in the first game and play well and then get torn up for one bad period. Does Therrien believe that those players being on 80+ point pace is not sufficient?

So frustrating to watch a coach with no imagination and no real game plan continue to butcher the line-up like this.

i missed the game, did he seriously flip byron and lehkonen?!?!

:4224:

please keep it up. please. missing the playoffs wont be enough to get rid of you, we need another catastrophe of a season to even have a hope so keep it coming

2 hours ago, jeff33 said:

i missed the game, did he seriously flip byron and lehkonen?!?!

:4224:

please keep it up. please. missing the playoffs wont be enough to get rid of you, we need another catastrophe of a season to even have a hope so keep it coming

He started by swapping Radulov and Gallagher and swapping Byron and Lehkonen. Then to start the 3rd, he juggled everything yet again and had Byron on the 1st line, Lehkonen on the 4th, and Plekanec centering Pacman and Radulov as our shutdown line. Brutal.

Wilde on Therrien:

• I really don't want to make this season a pile on of every little thing that Michel Therrien does. I stated my piece in a factual blog last year but some things must still be pointed out. On the positive side, his line changes to get a listless team going worked out well. They had eight shots in the first half of the game. They had 16 shots in the second half after the line changes. That definitely worked. However, he also did his impatience thing again with a player who was having a good night and favoured a veteran who was having a bad night. Paul Byron was -3. He was not playing well. Lehkonen got the short leash. The Finn can't be a fourth line guy. He's here to succeed offensively. He can do that with the right usage. He's shown it with screens, goals, savviness around the net, good positional play. So, while I liked the line changes, one can't psychologically give up on a solid-playing Lehkonen at the 75 minute mark of his NHL career. In the glass half-full world, well done on the line changes. In the glass half-empty world, same old, same old, subbing out a player with real good upside for a guy who has shown all he's ever going to be, and he is never, ever gonna be a second-line winger on a successful hockey team.

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/call-of-the-wilde-habs-glass-half-full-in-loss-to-sens-1.3117320

The Bodog betting website released odds Tuesday on which NHL coach will be the first to get fired this season.

Leading the way is Columbus’s John Tortorella at 13-4 odds, followed by Vancouver’s Willie Desjardins (7-2), the New York Islanders’ Jack Capuano (15-4), the Canadiens’ Therrien (11-2) and Boston’s Claude Julien (13-2).

18 minutes ago, kinot-1 said:

The Bodog betting website released odds Tuesday on which NHL coach will be the first to get fired this season.

Leading the way is Columbus’s John Tortorella at 13-4 odds, followed by Vancouver’s Willie Desjardins (7-2), the New York Islanders’ Jack Capuano (15-4), the Canadiens’ Therrien (11-2) and Boston’s Claude Julien (13-2).

I've read this in so many places, the pundits, the fans on this board.....I'm here to tell you all.:

Therrien will not be fired by Marc Bergevin. He. Will. Not.

last place, 10 game losing streak, whatever. Therrien goes nowhere until Molson fires them both.

28 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

I've read this in so many places, the pundits, the fans on this board.....I'm here to tell you all.:

last place, 10 game losing streak, whatever. Therrien goes nowhere until Molson fires them both.

Unfortunate, but I believe you're right IMO. 

23 hours ago, jeff33 said:

The easy part will be firing the front office.  The hard part will be finding suitable replacement regardless of what the French media thinks. 

On 10/18/2016 at 1:23 PM, jeff33 said:

Unfortunately, i agree.   If he could escape the axe last year - after setting a handful of records of futility (biggest collapse, worst december, most loses in a month etc) in the 100 year history of the team - pretty much nothing is going to get him fired as long as MB is GM.

That said, maybe the kindler, gentler Therrien will be fine, with guys like Muller pulling the strings behind the scenes.  Ultimately, i think Therrien just wants to be loved. 

30 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Unfortunately, i agree.   If he could escape the axe last year - after setting a handful of records of futility (biggest collapse, worst december, most loses in a month etc) in the 100 year history of the team - pretty much nothing is going to get him fired as long as MB is GM.

That said, maybe the kindler, gentler Therrien will be fine, with guys like Muller pulling the strings behind the scenes.  Ultimately, i think Therrien just wants to be loved. 

I would hope that the bold part was said sarcastically, Jed. :P

1 hour ago, kinot-1 said:

I would hope that the bold part was said sarcastically, Jed. :P

not at all!  I actually think he just wants to be "coach" - he wants to be the guy who brings the team to the cup. I dont think anything he does is malicious, i think he's in over his head and he does what he thinks is right for the team (often it isnt) and if someone (like muller) offers suggestions that work, i think he'll take them.

• 2 weeks later...

Habs played poorly against the Leafs and Canucks  yet won because of CP

Just once in MT's post game press conference I would like to hear him say something along the lines of  , we played poorly tonight , it was all CP , we as  coaches have to do a better job of preparing the players to plays 60 minutes of hockey.

I don't want to hear nonsense  like the other team played a good game, we played good defensively , we played our system , it was a character win blah blah

Admit that the team is lucky and has a lot of work to do

16 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Just once in MT's post game press conference I would like to hear him say something along the lines of  , we played poorly tonight , it was all CP , we as  coaches have to do a better job of preparing the players to plays 60 minutes of hockey.

I don't want to hear nonsense  like the other team played a good game, we played good defensively , we played our system , it was a character win blah blah

Well, Beaulieu said just that. We stunk and Price bailed us out.

Just now, H_T_L said:

Well, Beaulieu said just that. We stunk and Price bailed us out.

I want hear MT say it . MT always has an excuse but this year, the sign is down ,  there are " No excuses " .

SO man up and say he < MT , and his staff have a lot of work to do .

2 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I want hear MT say it . MT always has an excuse but this year, the sign is down ,  there are " No excuses " .

SO man up and say he < MT , and his staff have a lot of work to do .

And I want to see Cherry retire. Wanna have a hold your breath contest?:4322:

14 hours ago, Regis22 said:

After this terrible start we should get rid of the guy immediately.  Too funny. No losses in ten games (in regulation), no matter how it happened that's pretty amazing.

Price is a part of the team and a lot of people lost jobs waiting for him to get to this point. So its about time he started to deliver. 

No one played well in a couple of games and Price won them good for him. Good for me. 

If nothing else MT has been wearing some great suits. Sure Cherry would be happy about that.

wow two soft games and the knives are out again. could at least wait till we lose or lose a couple? we had a couple of 100 point seasons one bad one because of injuries to key players we are off to another historic start and the boo birds latch on too two poor results. take a look around the league folks we are doing pretty good! sure it could be better so could a lot of things!

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

wow two soft games and the knives are out again. could at least wait till we lose or lose a couple? we had a couple of 100 point seasons one bad one because of injuries to key players we are off to another historic start and the boo birds latch on too two poor results. take a look around the league folks we are doing pretty good! sure it could be better so could a lot of things!

The problem is that a lot of fans are worried its unsustainable, and thats a fair concern.

Lets say your sister walked home every night through a bad neighbourhood alone. Would you be concerned & try to get her to find an alternate route or a friend to walk with or at least learn Karate?   Or would you just say "its all good, she hasnt been mugged yet and its been 10 days."

There's definite room to improve this team right now.  We should most definitely be happy - we've just had more points in our first 10 games than any habs team in history - but we should also be concerned with several aspects of the team/system.   

I have high hopes for this season and i think Carey is going to do everything he possibly can to drag this team to a cup, but I do understand much of the concern of many members here.