Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#53 Victor Mete


Manatee-X
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 11 months later...
51 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Will go to WJC selection camp. Was apparently a difficult cut for them last year but was probably left off the team because of his size. He has the skill though.

Ya,,, watched him in the juniors. Liked what I saw. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I read a very interesting article about Mete. It included some interesting vids on him and the vids broke down his moves on the ice. There's about 4 vids., and some real good stuff.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/catching-the-torch/2017/4/5/15148290/catching-the-torch-habs-prospect-highlights-stats-chl-playoffs-victor-mete-sergachev-bitten-juulsen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has looked better already this preseason than Sergachev did last year imho.   Not at all to say he is, or will be, better but if he's playing as well as MS did last pre-season and MS got a tryout stint with the big club last year, what are the chances Mete sticks with the club for at least a 9 game tryout?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2017 at 3:58 PM, Noob616 said:

I don't normally get into hyping up 19 year olds in preseason but Mete-Weber feels like something that's so crazy it just might work. In a vacuum he's probably a fringe 3rd pair guy but he and Weber's skillsets complement each other really well.

I think Weber has helped get the most out of a lot of players, a lot of whom turned out to be elite in their own right. Josi and Suter are the two biggest examples for me. And he was the same age as Suter when they were coming up. He's got a Barret Jackman level of influence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely would not have bet money on his thread being in this part of the forum at this time of year.  Wow.  What an impact this kid has made.   As BigTed posted in another thread, I wouldnt be surprised to see him supplanted by Schlemko when he comes back, but the kid has definitely earned a good, long look.  He's the ideal compliment for Weber... if only he were a year or 2 older, but some players surprise with their maturity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Definitely would not have bet money on his thread being in this part of the forum at this time of year.  Wow.  What an impact this kid has made.   As BigTed posted in another thread, I wouldnt be surprised to see him supplanted by Schlemko when he comes back, but the kid has definitely earned a good, long look.  He's the ideal compliment for Weber... if only he were a year or 2 older, but some players surprise with their maturity.

It'll be tough for Mete... he's the only guy left who doesn't need to go through waivers to go down, so when Schlemko is back, the choice will be between demoting Mete or else risk losing one of Davidson or Morrow or maybe Streit (although I think the Habs really like Streit for some reason). Mete will also have to contend with Jerabek coming back up at some point, as the Habs seem to think he'll be ready later in the year. Personally, I think Mete will get more than 9 games but less than 40.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

It'll be tough for Mete... he's the only guy left who doesn't need to go through waivers to go down, so when Schlemko is back, the choice will be between demoting Mete or else risk losing one of Davidson or Morrow or maybe Streit (although I think the Habs really like Streit for some reason). Mete will also have to contend with Jerabek coming back up at some point, as the Habs seem to think he'll be ready later in the year. Personally, I think Mete will get more than 9 games but less than 40.

Assuming that he did play more than 10, but say, your 40 games,,, what would happen to him then? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those who might say that Mete may not be able to keep up with the grueling schedule of the NHL, let me remind those people that the OHL has a more taxing schedule than the NHL. Sometimes they play 3 games in 3 nights, and many times they have 3 games in 4 nights. There was at least one instance of the Knights playing 6 games in 8 days.They also travel by bus. Compare that with the NHL where a team might have 3-4 times where they play 3 in 4, and travel by plane the majority of times. NHL teams also have the best people on staff, and room at great hotels.

Now,,, who else do we have that can move the puck like him if we send him back?

 

JM2C

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

For those who might say that Mete may not be able to keep up with the grueling schedule of the NHL, let me remind those people that the OHL has a more taxing schedule than the NHL. Sometimes they play 3 games in 3 nights, and many times they have 3 games in 4 nights. There was at least one instance of the Knights playing 6 games in 8 days.They also travel by bus. Compare that with the NHL where a team might have 3-4 times where they play 3 in 4, and travel by plane the majority of times. NHL teams also have the best people on staff, and room at great hotels.

Now,,, who else do we have that can move the puck like him if we send him back?

 

JM2C

 

I dont think its as much to do with playing lots of games in a short time & more to do with the level of competition.  You skate harder, faster and take much more punishment at the NHL level.  In the OHL you are playing against guys as young as 16 years old.  Sure there are some 21 year olds too but for the most part the guys over 19 arent playing at the highest skill level or they'd be in the NHL or the minors.

I think its tough for us to know if Mete could handle it, but you have to think (hope, at least) our training & conditioning assessment guys will know whether he has a good shot of making it or not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

For those who might say that Mete may not be able to keep up with the grueling schedule of the NHL, let me remind those people that the OHL has a more taxing schedule than the NHL. Sometimes they play 3 games in 3 nights, and many times they have 3 games in 4 nights. There was at least one instance of the Knights playing 6 games in 8 days.They also travel by bus. Compare that with the NHL where a team might have 3-4 times where they play 3 in 4, and travel by plane the majority of times. NHL teams also have the best people on staff, and room at great hotels.

Now,,, who else do we have that can move the puck like him if we send him back?

 

JM2C

 

He's gonna be playing against men, not boys. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Claude Julien hopes the 19-year-old defenceman, who was the biggest surprise at training camp, will remain with the Canadiens for the entire 2017-18 season.

“Right now, we’re starting with Victor thinking that he’ll be here all year,” Julien said after practice Wednesday morning in Brossard before the Canadiens headed for Buffalo. “We’re certainly not thinking like: Oh, we might send him back after nine (games to the junior London Knights). I’d rather think positively and I think what he showed in pre-season was very good and if that changes we’ll deal with it then. But right now, I’m planning on having him here for the year and that’s the way we’re all feeling, actually, as a group. So now it’s up to him to continue to show those things that he showed us in pre-season.”
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Time for the big show kid!

I have a gut feeling he is going to be with us all year. I think he's doing to do very very well actually.   Of course I may well be wrong & they may send him down in 9 games or less, but its just a feeling.

If he does manage to step up and fit properly in the #1LD spot boy did we get lucky.  Our whole defense looks better and I think our whole team is better because of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

It's only one game, but looks like he's here to stay. :6280:Who would've thought the #2 Dman would be a 19 year old? Only question is how many games can he sustain momentum before exhaustion/injury takes over?

He needs to eat a load more pies before his body is in the shape needed to endure the D-man's regular NHL grind.  165 pounds????

I'm sure Uncle Shea is - genuinely - the best man in the NHL he could have as a provider of on-the-job mentoring and support.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...