The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#34 Michael McCarron 2016-17

habs_93

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, H_T_L said:

How long before he gets called back up?

If there's an early injury, he should be first. The problem for him is if the Habs stay healthy for a while and he's in a slump when the first call-up comes, he may get passed by. he's good enough to be in the NHL now. The problem for him is his two-way contract and the fact the Habs have signed so many grinders to play the bottom 6 (Byron, Mitchell, Danault, Flynn, Carr, Shaw, etc.).

On 10/11/2016 at 1:25 PM, BigTed3 said:

If there's an early injury, he should be first. The problem for him is if the Habs stay healthy for a while and he's in a slump when the first call-up comes, he may get passed by. he's good enough to be in the NHL now. The problem for him is his two-way contract and the fact the Habs have signed so many grinders to play the bottom 6 (Byron, Mitchell, Danault, Flynn, Carr, Shaw, etc.).

This.

As i said in another thread, I actually dont mind Carr-DD-Shaw at all. It will probably be a pretty good line - BUT - why use it when we could have Carr-McCarron-Shaw ?  Which not only should be better defensively but also has the potential to be much better than the existing line - AND - gives one of our (most likely) future core players (McCarron) a chance to play.

I suspect he is going to be absolutely dominant in the AHL this year.   

He's still got rookie status in the NHL i believe, correct?

11 minutes ago, maas_art said:

This.

As i said in another thread, I actually dont mind Carr-DD-Shaw at all. It will probably be a pretty good line - BUT - why use it when we could have Carr-McCarron-Shaw ?  Which not only should be better defensively but also has the potential to be much better than the existing line - AND - gives one of our (most likely) future core players (McCarron) a chance to play.

I suspect he is going to be absolutely dominant in the AHL this year.   

He's still got rookie status in the NHL i believe, correct?

Here's the league rules on rookies. 

Rookie Qualifications
To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

McCarron has played 20 NHL games. 

Canadiens prospect Mike McCarron has been suspended for two games by the AHL following a match penalty for head-butting during a fight in a game against Providence’s Justin Hickman on Oct. 16. 

In three games with the IceCaps, McCarron has one assist, is minus-6 and has 24 penalty minutes. 

17 minutes ago, kinot-1 said:

Canadiens prospect Mike McCarron has been suspended for two games by the AHL following a match penalty for head-butting during a fight in a game against Providence’s Justin Hickman on Oct. 16. 

In three games with the IceCaps, McCarron has one assist, is minus-6 and has 24 penalty minutes. 

Has the current Habs' administration's philosophy of grit and character spread to the Ice Caps as well?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, FanFromAB said:

Not overly impressed with any of the games he's played in the NHL this season.  He needs to work on his explosiveness and strength.  

IMO, the wishful thinking about McCarron being an impact player for the Habs, mostly because of his size, is not a reality. Losing him in a trade would be a stroke of luck, but you never know if another team would consider him to complete a trade for a quality center or winger.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Recalled. Since he missed practice, we don't know how he fits into Julien's plans.

Not unexpected.  A guy like Plekenec or Weber or Patches etc - Julien knows.  A guy like McCarron he may have only seen up close one or two times in his life. I full expect him to watch our prospects / young players closely. It will be interesting to see which ones stick.    Very curious if Julien sees McCarron as a centre (like MT and MB) or as a winger (as he was drafted and, frankly, has looked more comfortable to me). 

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/move-to-centre-has-paid-off-for-canadiens-prospect-mccarron

Dale Hunter was a thorn in Montreal’s side when he was playing as a rugged winger for the Quebec Nordiques, but he did the Canadiens a huge favour two seasons ago when he moved Michael McCarron to centre.

Down the road, McCarron could be the big centre the Canadians have been missing. Hunter, the owner, president and coach of the London Knights, played a key role in his development when the 6-foot-6, 227-pounder began playing junior hockey for the Knights in 2013.

“I have to give Dale credit for moving him to the middle,” said Martin Lapointe, the Canadiens’ director of player development. “We drafted him as a right-winger, but Dale decided to move him to centre, we didn’t interfere. We try to help the junior teams, but they make their own decisions.”

And this has turned out to be a good one.

“He looks good at centre,” Lapointe said. “He’s good at faceoffs and he has a long reach.”