The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016 Training Camp

HabsRuleForever

MONTREAL CANADIENS TRAINING CAMP

The main roster training camp starts on Thursday, September 22nd with physical evaluations and runs until Tuesday, October 11th.

• Sunday, September 25th 1:00 P.M. Red vs. White Intrasquad scrimmage to raise money for the Canadian Tire BLEU BLANC BOUGE in Action program.
  • Saturday, October 1st: First Cuts

As per CBA section 13.2, the first player cuts from the NHL and loan to the AHL start on the 12th day prior to the start of the regular NHL season.

Expect the first wave of cuts to be significant. The IceCaps start their training camp on Oct. 2nd will need to ice a full team in time of their first pre-season game.

MONTREAL - The Montreal Canadiens announced Wednesday that 61 players will participate in the 2016-17 training camp. Players will report for physicals and medical exams at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard on Thursday, September 22. The first on-ice session will take place at the Bell Sports Complex on Friday, September 23, at 10 a.m.

The list of players invited to training camp includes six goaltenders, 20 defensemen and 35 forwards (including six players currently taking part in the World Cup of Hockey in Toronto).

Rookie Camp
The Canadiens completed their rookie camp today. Sixteen (16) of the 27 players attending have been invited to the main camp.

Practices open to the public
Canadiens fans are invited to attend all practices at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard. Intra-squad games will take place on September 23 and 24, at 11 a.m. (webcast on www.canadiens.com and www.rds.ca). A detailed schedule will be available at the Bell Sports Complex.

Team Red vs Team White at Bell Centre
In preparation for the team's preseason schedule, the Canadiens and Canadian Tire are pleased to invite all fans to attend the Canadian Tire Reds vs Whites scrimmage on Sunday, September 25 at the Bell Centre. Puck drop is set for 1 p.m. with the Bell Centre doors to open at 11:30 a.m. The game will also be available on www.canadiens.com and www.rds.ca.

Training Camp Schedule (Sept. 22-25)
Friday, September 23:

10 a.m. Practice (Group A)
11 a.m. Game A vs B
12:15 p.m. Practice (Group B)
Saturday, September 24:

10 a.m. Practice (Group B )
11 a.m. Game A vs B
12:15 p.m. Practice (Group A)
Sunday, September 25:

1 p.m. Game Reds vs Whites (Bell Centre)

61 players... most of them will not make the NHL this season and some may not even make the AHL roster. It is what it is and therefore expectations must be realistic for fans and players. How many spots are truly up for grabs with the Habs (2-3?)?

So the top six seems to be more or less set.

IMO Competition for 3rd and 4th lines should be wide open... but will it really be (I don't think so)?

So... those in play for the NHL roster are... ANDRIGHETTO, BYRON, CARR, DANAULT, DE LA ROSE, DESHARNAIS, FLYNN, HUDON, LEHKONEN, MATTEAU, McCARRON, MITCHELL, SCHERBAK (13 total... potentially 7 make the cut)

WHO and WHY will be interesting to see.

Defense:

So... those in play for the NHL roster are... ANDRIGHETTO, BYRON, CARR, DANAULT, DE LA ROSE, DESHARNAIS, FLYNN, HUDON, LEHKONEN, MATTEAU, McCARRON, MITCHELL, SCHERBAK (13 total... potentially 7 make the cut)

Ill make it easy

IN:

DD, Mitchell, Byron , Flynn , Danault

Probably Andrighetto and Carr

Ill make it easy

IN:

DD, Mitchell, Byron , Flynn , Danault

Probably Andrighetto and Carr

Probably a safe bet... however I question Mitchel and Flynn as being replaceable and see the possibility that one of Andrighetto and Carr being traded somehow. That said, Desharnais remains an issue that continues to be problematic.

Probably a safe bet... however I question Mitchel and Flynn as being replaceable and see the possibility that one of Andrighetto and Carr being traded somehow. That said, Desharnais remains an issue that continues to be problematic.

I like the idea of keeping Mitchell because we need a right-handed centerman. We've been burned by not having one in the past. Byron, Flynn, and Desharnais are completely expendable, even if there is no return on the trades.

I like the idea of keeping Mitchell because we need a right-handed centerman. We've been burned by not having one in the past. Byron, Flynn, and Desharnais are completely expendable, even if there is no return on the trades.

i agree with this but i do like Byron"s speed if there was a way to hang on to him but still balance the roster with some of the new young talent i would hang on to him.

i agree with this but i do like Byron"s speed if there was a way to hang on to him but still balance the roster with some of the new young talent i would hang on to him.

If you could dress one more guy, Byron would be invaluable.

Byron has great speed, no doubt. But he's small, he doesn't provide a lot of offence, nor is he the best defensive player either. He's not really great at any one thing either than being fast, and frankly we've seen this show before with players like Jan Bulis and Tom Pyatt and so on. Speed doesn't help that much unless you can do something with it. You want to be a fast team but you also need to balance that with skill and other attributes too. In Byron's case, he did a phenomenal job turning chances on the PK into goals last year, but he was below average at even strength. I have my doubts that he can keep up that scoring pace and shooting percentage short-handed and without that, he's not all that valuable. I look at guys like Byron and Flynn and Matteau and DLR and I just don't see a lot coming from that group. I'd much rather have players like Hudon, McCarron, Scherbak, Reway, Lehkonen, Carr, Andrighetto, or so on inserted, with more upside and room to grow into top 6-9 players. If we did want to go with real 4th liners on the 4th line, then Mitchell is a better option IMO, much better defensively, a bit of scoring, smart player, and that right-handed draw man for D zone face-offs. I even liked a guy like Lessio more last year, a player who skated well but who also brought some intensity and physicality to the game. To me, Byron is too one-dimensional to be in the line-up. Even as a 13th forward, I don't like the idea of rotating guys in and out of lines and breaking up the flow of the game, nor do I see the purpose of rotating two 4th liners and each having them play 3 minutes a night.

Michel Therrien is whipping out the same party lines he had last year in reference to how guys were doing at camp today... "guys are competing out there" and "it's okay that the players aren't generating scoring chances because they're working hard" and "I like the intensity and players battling to earn their ice time"... so once again, no mention about skill or scoring or fixing the offence or the powerplay. It's still the same short-sighted vision that grit and work ethic will be all you need to succeed. It's one element, but it's blind to believe you don't need skill.

Mitchell also has way better vision than most 4th liners. He's not a bad roster player at all & I dont mind him in our top 12. To be honest, most of our 3rd and 4th liners are pretty good - they serve a purpose - the problem is that we should really only keep 1 or 2 of them in the bottom 6 but instead we keep 6 role players & let our developing youth sit.

Looking at the forwards, there are a bunch of guys who are already locks to make the team: Pacman, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Radulov, Shaw, Plekanec, Byron, Mitchell, Danault, and Desharnais. So that means there are 2-4 spots up for grabs for Carr, Andrighetto, McCarron, Flynn, Hudon, Lehkonen, DLR, Matteau, Scherbak, Terry, and others. You'd have to figure based on where we started going into the pre-season that Carr, Ghetto, and Flynn have been given the inside track on jobs.

Based on the 1st two games, I'd say Lehkonen has helped his stock. I liked Hudon's 3rd period tonight but he really didn't get much of a chance. McCarron really didn't bring anything impressive in his appearance. Flynn showed he doesn't belong in the top 9, but we already knew that. Otherwise, no one really took control of any kind of an advantage.

On D, we know Markov, Weber, Beaulieu, Petry, and Emelin have jobs. Pateryn has the inside track on another job, and Barberio and Redmond are probably slightly ahead of Johnston, Hanley, and Samuelsson for the last 1-2 spots. Pateryn and Beaulieu really helped themselves out tonight. Both looked great, and Nate showed why he should get first dibs at being Weber's partner.

On D, we know Markov, Weber, Beaulieu, Petry, and Emelin have jobs. Pateryn has the inside track on another job, and Barberio and Redmond are probably slightly ahead of Johnston, Hanley, and Samuelsson for the last 1-2 spots. Pateryn and Beaulieu really helped themselves out tonight. Both looked great, and Nate showed why he should get first dibs at being Weber's partner.

Not impressed with that D . It doesn't look very mobile IMO but what do I know

Not impressed with that D . It doesn't look very mobile IMO but what do I know

Beaulieu, Petry, and Barberio are all reasonably good skaters. Pateryn is probably a bit underrated in terms of his skating and offensive ability. He's thought of as a defensive defenceman but he's go a big shot and a decent stride. The problems are, somewhat ironically, Weber, Markov, and Emelin, two of whom MT might be envisioning for his top pair. Weber is clearly a #1 D man in the league but he needs to play with a guy who can skate and move the puck, and we can't afford to have Petry playing off wing, so it frankly has to be Beaulieu. It's a big thing for Beaulieu to have stepped up tonight with a big game because we don't really have much else, unless the Habs surprise us and allow Sergachev to not only make the team but play the top pairing... very unlikely to happen. But if you can slide Beaulieu up on the top, Petry can solidify a second pairing and Pateryn paired with Emelin or Barberio is not a bad third. It would be great if Sergachev could maintain what he did at camp and be an option alongside Petry but again, it's a longshot. But something like one of these situations isn't bad:

Beaulieu-Weber

Markov-Petry

Emelin/Barberio-Pateryn

or

Beaulieu-Weber

Sergachev-Petry

Markov-Pateryn

What will hurt us is if Therrien insists on pairing Markov-Weber. I really worry that in his mind, he's seeing something like this:

Markov-Weber

Emelin-Petry

Beaulieu-Pateryn

Hanley

so something like that just goes to show the impact coaching can have on hindering the team.

Beaulieu-Weber

Markov-Petry

Emelin/Barberio-Pateryn

or

Beaulieu-Weber

Sergachev-Petry

Markov-Pateryn

What will hurt us is if Therrien insists on pairing Markov-Weber. I really worry that in his mind, he's seeing something like this:

Markov-Weber

Emelin-Petry

Beaulieu-Pateryn

Hanley

so something like that just goes to show the impact coaching can have on hindering the team.

I agree about the 1st pairings.

The 2nd pairings, are without Ememlin,,,,,,,he's $4.2 against the cap and I don't think MB would want him in the press box.

Re the 3rd pairing,,, that, IMO, would be a disaster.

Petry was practicing on the left side today, so Therrien was asked if he planned to use him there... MT's reply was that he planned to experiment with various D pairings during camp and Petry on the left of Weber was one of the things he planned to do. He also seems to like Beaulieu with Pateryn, so it's really shaping up to look like MT might be inclined to use

Petry-Weber

Markov-Emelin

Beaulieu-Pateryn

The problems with this include Petry playing a side of the ice he hasn't played since junior, which could be a disaster; Emelin playing a side of the ice he was awful at in the past; Emelin being paired with Markov, when we know this pairing is brutal defensively; and Beaulieu getting 3rd-pairing ice time, when he's probably the left-handed defenceman who can best handle big minutes at this point. This set-up, if it comes to fruition, has got disaster written all over it. Zero recognition here about Beaulieu's potential to be the top-pairing lefty and for Petry to anchor a second pairing...