The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Trade Deadline

H_T_L

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brandon_davidson/

Talent Analysis

Davidson is a no-nonsense, all-around defenseman. He does not excel in any one area, nor has many glaring weaknesses. He is a tireless competitor who plays a sound positional game, engages in tough battles and is willing to sacrifice his body to block shots or passes. His skating, pivots in particular, is still an area in need of improvement as is his decision-making and confidence when handling the puck. Davidson is adept at making the first pass out of the zone, but on the whole he is a calm, unremarkable player in terms of his offensive game.

Future

Davidson made the Oilers out of training camp and has skated in a regular role for Edmonton in 2015-16. Averaging over 19 minutes of ice time per game, he has been a steady presence on a defense corps that has been in flux for much of the season. He signed a two-year contract extension with Edmonton at the end of February 2016. An injury in early March could keep him out of the lineup for the rest of the season. Davidson's injury clouds his future but the 24-year-old is a solid two-way defenseman when healthy.

Habs opening day roster last season featured

Therrien

Condon

Subban

Eller

Desharnais

Gilbert

Fleischmann

Weise

Pateryn

Semin

Smith-Pelly

Tinordi

Bournival

That's huge turnover in just 1.5 years, with maybe more in store tomorrow.

40 minutes ago, RicochetII said:

Well it happened. We traded a 6th (2018) for Ott. :| 

Don't have an issue with the cost, just find it questionable.

Why ? He Cant score goals

He's just going to get penalties

LOL!  After years denigrating Steve Ott as a mindless brute, Bergevin traded for him.  :4224:

Well at least the Habs finally got a REAL enforcer in the Bergevin era.  :5187:Maybe his role is to protect Price.  Our new Laranque?

Meanwhile, Brendan Smith has gone to the Rangers.

Where's Vanek or Iginla?  Is this the best Bergevin can do? Time is running out!

3 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Parros or even Prust don't count?

IIRC, Parros fell and suffered a concussion after his 2nd fight.  Never really featured in the lineup thereafter.

As for Prust, he didn't exactly win all his fights.  There were many times he was bested in combat. Prust was genuinely a proper hockey player with some decent skill versus a hands-down brawler. Size-wise, I believe Ott is a better enforcer.

5 hours ago, RicochetII said:

Well it happened. We traded a 6th (2018) for Ott. :| 

Don't have an issue with the cost, just find it questionable.

Ott, 34, suited up for 42 games thus far this season with the Red Wings. He registered six points (3 goals, 3 assists) and served 63 penalty minutes. Ott averaged 10:27 of ice time per game and amassed 101 hits.

In 837 career NHL regular season games since his debut back in 2002-03, Ott played with the Dallas Stars, Buffalo Sabres, St. Louis Blues and the Red Wings. The 6'0'' and 193 lbs forward recorded 287 points (109 goals, 178 assists) and served 1,538 penalty minutes. He added 28 goals on the powerplay, four while shorthanded and 16 game-winning goals. Ott amassed eight points (3 goals, 5 assists) and 80 penalty minutes in 55 playoff contests.

He won 102 FOs and lost 74 this year. 

23 minutes ago, PuckPundit said:

IIRC, Parros fell and suffered a concussion after his 2nd fight.  Never really featured in the lineup thereafter.

As for Prust, he didn't exactly win all his fights.  There were many times he was bested in combat. Prust was genuinely a proper hockey player with some decent skill versus a hands-down brawler. Size-wise, I believe Ott is a better enforcer.

Parros had 9 fights in 2013/2014 before he called it a career. Link

As far as size, Prust and Ott are virtually identical players (6'0" @ approx. 195 pounds). I completely agree with you though, Prust was a capable hockey player whereas Ott is virtually useless at this point in his career. He had a few really good years with Dallas but that was a really long time ago, it's not like we gave up much but I don't really understand the trade.

Could be a Julien thing though, maybe he wanted someone on the roster who's willing to drop the gloves from time to time?

2 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

This trade Ott to be funny.

2 hours ago, RicochetII said:

I think kinOtt approves of the acquisition.

2 hours ago, Clues said:

I sure hope nOtt.

2 hours ago, RicochetII said:

He has to, I think they're related. I always wondered what kinot meant. Kin of Ott seems as likely as anything else. :P

CannOTT understand why you peeps keep doing this to me. 

HOMERFACEPLANT.png

• H_T_L locked this topic