The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Trade Deadline

H_T_L

Just now, Noob616 said:

I don't really mind this, unlike Ott he's actually an above average NHL player. He used to be a 3rd line tweener but even with his scoring drying up he's still a good possession guy and an upgrade on Flynn. 

Definitely an upgrade on Flynn, although not as fast. Good in the corners too.  

Just now, Noob616 said:

I don't really mind this, unlike Ott he's actually an above average NHL player. He used to be a 3rd line tweener but even with his scoring drying up he's still a good possession guy and an upgrade on Flynn. 

I've never followed the Kings closely, so I wouldn't really know. Sounds like a decent pickup though, if the goal is to have a more physical bottom six.

I'd much rather they just have gone with Hudon-Mitchell-McCarron or something as the 4th line. Andrighetto is still a better player than King/Flynn/Ott or any of the other 4th liners too.

That being said I guess this is just the direction they want to take the 4th line under Julien. On the surface level this looks like MOAR GRIT but I don't mind King-Mitchell as the foundation of a defensive 4th line. Hopefully they take it in that direction, giving the 4th line super tough deployment and running 3 scoring lines. That was really successful a few seasons ago when Moen/Prust-White-Armstrong played really heavy minutes and only needed to just not get completely rolled. 

NHL

MONTREAL CANADIENS

LOS ANGELES KINGS

TRADECENTRE

10m ago

Kings send King to Canadiens

TSN.ca Staff

The Montreal Canadiens have acquired Dwight King from the Los Angeles Kings for a conditional fourth-round pick in 2018.

King owns eight goals and seven assists in 63 games this season. 

The winger stands 6'4" and 229 lbs. adding size to the Canadiens roster. He scored seven goals and tallied 13 points in 47 games last season.

Follow

Pierre LeBrun ✔@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Habs wanted to add size up front and got it in Dwight King.

11:21 AM - 1 Mar 2017

6767 Retweets

126126 likes

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun notes no salary was retained in the deal. King, 27, is set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

LeBrun believes the Canadiens would still like to do more tinkering with their lineup before the deadline.

I don't mind King, as long as the 4th remains 4th or lower. Cheap enough and makes more sense to me than Ott. Makes the Ott acquisition look less necessary.

By my count, we now have 5 forward lines, 4 D pairings, and 11ish (depending on your opinion on fringe 2nd line players) bottom 6 players.
Seems to me that something's got to give. What kind of deal can we make that brings in a top 6 forward or top 4 D, and will cost us 4 or 5 depth players? :P

4 minutes ago, RicochetII said:

By my count, we now have 5 forward lines, 4 D pairings, and 11ish (depending on your opinion on fringe 2nd line players) bottom 6 players.
Seems to me that something's got to give. What kind of deal can we make that brings in a top 6 forward or top 4 D, and will cost us 4 or 5 depth players? :P

Michael-Jackson-Popcorn.jpg

5 minutes ago, RicochetII said:

I don't mind King, as long as the 4th remains 4th or lower. Cheap enough and makes more sense to me than Ott. Makes the Ott acquisition look less necessary.

We have a lot of second round picks to use as bait.

14 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Oh man, kinda offtopic but I'm really not looking forward to seeing Subban in a Preds jersey tomorrow night.

Plot twist. We aren't tooling up for the playoffs. We're reshaping the roster for this one game, in order to validate MB's trade. :P

4 minutes ago, RicochetII said:

Plot twist. We aren't tooling up for the playoffs. We're reshaping the roster for this one game, in order to validate MB's trade. :P

I actually wouldn't put it past him ;)

43 minutes ago, loyalhabsfan said:

I actually really like the addition of Ott and King to our lineup. Makes us more annoying to play against IMO. Also tells me more is definitely coming. 

But any less annoying to watch?

So the kings got Iginla for a conditional 4th round pick - just like we gave up to get King.

Kind of surprised they would drop a player in his prime for a 39 year old Iginla.  Obviously Iginla had a WAY higher skillset but he's a shell of his old self while King i still a useful bottom 6 player.    Always interesting to see how teams place their needs and evaluate players.

• H_T_L locked this topic