The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Trade Deadline

H_T_L

Just now, HabsAlways said:

As much as I hate to admit,  I think MB is right ... sometimes the trade just isn't there.    Sure we'd all love Duchene or another top talent ... but if the ask is unreasonable or crazy you don't bite.       It's easy for us to sit here and be underwhelmed but sometimes when you're a buyer you have to be cognizant of your budget 

Right, but we've had holes in our roster for a looooong time. Im not talking deadline day. Most of his big trades have been lateral moves. Trading one top RD for another top RD while we continue to have a hole at LD for example...

Just now, maas_art said:

Right, but we've had holes in our roster for a looooong time. Im not talking deadline day. Most of his big trades have been lateral moves. Trading one top RD for another top RD while we continue to have a hole at LD for example...

True enough ... but I also don't see that we have the assets to say go get that #1 center or LD without making a hole somewhere else ...

1 minute ago, Manatee-X said:

On the bright side, even with the "size-for-skill" slant to these trades, we haven't actually given up anything that we can't replace or live without.  Without a roster limit we can try all of these guys on a rotating fourth line if we want to, and hopefully one or two will click and perform well for a while.  

Yeah in a vacuum I have no problem with any of the moves. But added together you have to wonder.... why?

1 minute ago, habs_93 said:

It's all periphery right now. Even trading Desharnais isn't that exciting, because the issue with him was always Therrien's overuse and misuse, not the player himself. With CJ here now, I wasn't as concerned about that.

For sure. I actually was quite interested in having DD in the pressbox, available if we needed a 4th line centre that could exploit in the playoffs. Now that Julien line matches, having DD on the 4th line would actually not be a terrible idea.

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah in a vacuum I have no problem with any of the moves. But added together you have to wonder.... why?

For sure. I actually was quite interested in having DD in the pressbox, available if we needed a 4th line centre that could exploit in the playoffs. Now that Julien line matches, having DD on the 4th line would actually not be a terrible idea.

I personally have no regrets whatsoever having DD move on. He is a detriment for the playoffs where the big boys will simply crush him.

Am I right to believe that Ghetto would have needed to clear waivers at this point based on the # of games he's played so far? Is that another reason MB may have had to let him go or lose him for nothing trying to send him back down for roster room?

• H_T_L locked this topic