The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Trade Deadline

H_T_L

Didn't get fleeced by anybody but very questionable whether MB did enough. Added some size and muscle in the bottom 6 is about it. I believed moving DD  for some added cap space meant we we're after something bigger. I guess that space will now to be used to expand the roster with a couple farm hands.

Just now, H_T_L said:

Didn't get fleeced by anybody but very questionable whether MB did enough. Added some size and muscle in the bottom 6 is about it. I believed moving DD  for some added cap space meant we we're after something bigger. I guess that space will now to be used to expand the roster with a couple farm hands.

archey & duke?

Im ok with not landing an overpriced rental or even a guy like Duchene (who i dont think was actually available) but I really wish we would have addressed our need for a legit top 2 LD.   I understand there may not have been many options out there but unless Julien is confident he has a partner for weber I think we're going to be in trouble in the POs.

It looks like MB was very calculated in adding size but also players who play a regular role on their teams' penalty kills.  Just wish he had addressed some of our other problems, namely that first pairing. 

3 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I believe he brings some grit and truculence.

A big boy. It would take somebody like DD a couple extra minutes to go around him. :lol:

I speculated earlier, and others have also mentioned, that this has the makings of filling in requests from CJ. He had success in Boston with guys like that.

Since we were so intent on size, and didn't get any offensive help, I'm going to assume it was all done to insulate Hudon and he is going to have to be our hero. Maybe Scherbak or Terry get some games. My second assumption is that we will be using our newly acquired size to sit on all of our opponents, so Radulov and Galchenyuk can do all the scoring by beating the remaining player 1 on 1.

Brilliant! :D

1 minute ago, RicochetII said:

Since we were so intent on size, and didn't get any offensive help, I'm going to assume it was all done to insulate Hudon and he is going to have to be our hero. Maybe Scherbak or Terry get some games. My second assumption is that we will be using our newly acquired size to sit on all of our opponents, so Radulov and Galchenyuk can do all the scoring by beating the remaining player 1 on 1.

Brilliant! :D

You figured that out, huh? :D

8 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

A big boy. It would take somebody like DD a couple extra minutes to go around him. :lol:

I speculated earlier, and others have also mentioned, that this has the makings of filling in requests from CJ. He had success in Boston with guys like that.

I'm glad we got bigger. I'm tired of seeing Price getting abused and nobody stepping up. Hartnell last night shouldn't have finished the game for his trip/slewfoot on Price.

I like the added size. Maybe we'll get more garbage goals. Won't be knocked around like against the jets. If hudon or scherbak is called up they should be exempt from the draft either bc ten game rule or rookie one. I'm not positive, but I believe they'd be free from the draft and theres extra scoring + big bodies for the playoffs. I got caught up in the hoop-la. Duchene is the avs top player and Beaulieu almost has as many points as he does. IMO we dodged a bullet.

4 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I'm glad we got bigger. I'm tired of seeing Price getting abused and nobody stepping up. Hartnell last night shouldn't have finished the game for his trip/slewfoot on Price.

Thing is though, would that have helped? Would Hartnell have not done if it Ott or Martinsen was in the lineup?  Guys like Weber and Shaw were playing. Players like Beaulieu and Benn have shown they stick up for their teammates.  But nothing happened.

Im not saying size isnt valuable. If you have two equal players, skill wise,  and one is much bigger than the other, you always pick the larger guy.  They are harder to play against & often dont wear down as much, especially in the playoffs, but i think its been proven that its very very rare that size or toughness is ever a "deterrent" 

Think about the bertuzzi play, the mcsorley - any time Kreider has taken out a goalie - the other team always has tough players... and it still happens. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Thing is though, would that have helped? Would Hartnell have not done if it Ott or Martinsen was in the lineup?  Guys like Weber and Shaw were playing. Players like Beaulieu and Benn have shown they stick up for their teammates.  But nothing happened.

Im not saying size isnt valuable. If you have two equal players, skill wise,  and one is much bigger than the other, you always pick the larger guy.  They are harder to play against & often dont wear down as much, especially in the playoffs, but i think its been proven that its very very rare that size or toughness is ever a "deterrent" 

Think about the bertuzzi play, the mcsorley - any time Kreider has taken out a goalie - the other team always has tough players... and it still happens. 

I like the added size in the bottom 6 because of the times I've seen our smaller guys go into the boards to get the puck and get easily muscled off it. I'm certainly with you about size not being a deterrent to dirty players.

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

It doesn't mean Hartnell shouldn't have paid a price for what he did. Or Bobrovsky. Or Atkinson. Or Jones. Or Werenski.

• H_T_L locked this topic