The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Trade Deadline

H_T_L

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Not much from MB's presser. When pushed about Hudon in the AHL he was very vague. Mentioned his injury as being the set back.

LOL at some of the questions/answers.

Reporter"where does Nathan Beaulieu fit in?"  
Bergevin:  "In the top 8."

Bergevin: "I had good reports from Kirk Muller. Grit. Sandpaper. He has a lot of intangibles that don't appear on the scoreboard."  on Ott

"Expect the unexpected." - Marc Bergevin  Ok then...

13 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Bergevin: "I had good reports from Kirk Muller. Grit. Sandpaper. He has a lot of intangibles that don't appear on the scoreboard."  on Ott

The scoreboard tracks GOALS FOR and AGAINST and  PENALTIES ; I guessing OTT will appear under the " PENALTIES " category

35 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Worst trade deadline ever.  Lol.

I mean not just from our standpoint - the two biggest stories were Vanek and Iginla!! 

Both Vanek and Iginla were traded essentially for peanuts.  I don't understand Bergevin sometimes.  

I think today went well, and I'm honestly comfortable going into the playoffs, assuming we keep playing with the same heart and determination we showcased last night against Columbus.

I know everyone wanted a top 6 goal-scorer. So did I. Every team does. BUT, if you look at our lineup, the offensive firepower is there. We have the talent. We have the coach. We have the goaltending and the leadership in the room. Players like Ott, King, and Benn will make us extremely annoying to play against.

My opinion is, once we continue to gain confidence and our players are thinking less about what's the right "new" thing to do from Claude's system and it's just muscle memory, the goal scorers will relax a little bit and perform as they should. Pacioretty, Radulov, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Danault, and Lehkonen isn't a bad top 6. We now have one of the top bottom 6's in the league. I think we have some underperforming players right now (Gallagher/Pleks) so maybe this new light shed on our time will refocus them. I don't think some ridiculous trade shipping away a guy like Sergachev is the way to go.

Cheers, and hopefully we can watch our habs form together and play more comfortably under Julien's system and seriously step up offensively.

4 minutes ago, loyalhabsfan said:

We now have one of the top bottom 6's in the league. .

Some thought The Habs had a great 3 rd  , 4 th line before these trades

I think you are over valuing the players'  value  

It's still nothing special and a lot of these guys are UFA's this summer

2 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Some thought The Habs had a great 3 rd  , 4 th line before these trades

I think you are over valuing the players'  value  

It's still nothing special and a lot of these guys are UFA's this summer

I think the point is they're mostly rentals to help muscle our way through the payoffs. On the bright side DD is gone.

I still think MB messed up the makeup of the team by getting rid of certain players last summer and bring in slower , old, players to appease the former coach . The game is changing . Lots of young fast kids now . The other guy wanted grinder s with character but as we've found out grinders and character dont score goals

13 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I still think MB messed up the makeup of the team by getting rid of certain players last summer and bring in slower , old, players to appease the former coach . The game is changing . Lots of young fast kids now . The other guy wanted grinder s with character but as we've found out grinders and character dont score goals

Definitely agree. I think we had a stronger team to start this year more because we added Radu and we had other players further along the development scale but imagine how much better we would have been with the aforementioned AND Subban, and Eller and Julien.  And this says nothing about 2 - 3 years from now when I think its going to be even worse.

One step forward, two steps back, one step forward, one back, two steps forward, one back.... later, rinse repeat... since 1993. 

I am not sure how much of a difference these deals will make for the regular season other than to create moe space for some of all smaller players. But if I have to face this line-up every second night in the playoffs I think we have improved a great deal. We are going to be using our speed and hitting more often, making it tough for the backend of other teams. Shaw has just been given quite a bit of support. Davidson has had a rough year, due to injury but played very well for the Oil last year. Some analysis has him as a possible number 4 when evaluating his top end. with Jordie (who looked a lot better than Pateryn ever has) we seem to have solidified our backend . I think these trades give us the depth we need going into the playoffs and with King (2 cups) an improved attitude. Bringing Ott into the mix may also relieve Shaw from taking some bonehead penalties as Ott is likely to do it for him. I think Bergy has made some smart moves that are going to help us get through the playoff grind while making it very unncomfortable for the opposition. Had some of these guys been in the line-up last night Hartnell may have thought twice about hitting Price.

18 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

I am not sure how much of a difference these deals will make for the regular season other than to create moe space for some of all smaller players. But if I have to face this line-up every second night in the playoffs I think we have improved a great deal. We are going to be using our speed and hitting more often, making it tough for the backend of other teams. Shaw has just been given quite a bit of support. Davidson has had a rough year, due to injury but played very well for the Oil last year. Some analysis has him as a possible number 4 when evaluating his top end. with Jordie (who looked a lot better than Pateryn ever has) we seem to have solidified our backend . I think these trades give us the depth we need going into the playoffs and with King (2 cups) an improved attitude. Bringing Ott into the mix may also relieve Shaw from taking some bonehead penalties as Ott is likely to do it for him. I think Bergy has made some smart moves that are going to help us get through the playoff grind while making it very unncomfortable for the opposition. Had some of these guys been in the line-up last night Hartnell may have thought twice about hitting Price.

One thing you touched on, perhaps, if Shaw can focus on offense and leave the shenanigans to the new guys, maybe, just maybe, he adds some offense.
Maybe grasping at straws, but trying hard to find some silver linings.

5 hours ago, vegasrick said:

Both Vanek and Iginla were traded essentially for peanuts.  I don't understand Bergevin sometimes.  

He fears getting fleeced if he moves in too early. So he waits until the last minute to get buyer's advantage. By then the players he wanted are already taken.

Yzerman snubbing his 2nd round pick offer for Toronto's equivalent offer was a slap in the face. Brian Boyle would've been better than Steve Ott.

Why are so many websites e.g. Sportsnet, Yahoo, Fox etc. labelling MTL as loser in trade dateline?

9 minutes ago, PuckPundit said:

He fears getting fleeced if he moves in too early. So he waits until the last minute to get buyer's advantage. By then the players he wanted are already taken.

Yzerman snubbing his 2nd round pick offer for Toronto's equivalent offer was a slap in the face. Brian Boyle would've been better than Steve Ott.

Why are so many websites e.g. Sportsnet, Yahoo, Fox etc. labelling MTL as loser in trade dateline?

The experts also picked Hilary Clinton overwhelmingly to be the next U.S. president. They aren't the experts they think they are. 

1 hour ago, PuckPundit said:

I wonder if these are the same experts who said Weber was an upgrade over Subban?     :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Interestingly, Nashville picks up P.A.Parenteau. :4322: He gets another crack to embarrass Habs management if he plays tomorrow.

Believe he's still injured after blocking shot with his hand. Before being traded, I thought NJ said he would be out for a couple of games... not sure if that still holds true.

13 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

I think it's because we gave them very little to talk about. Media will always label a winner who gets the big names no matter what goes the other way.

A lot of that negative press came out of Toronto. They needed D badly and stood pat, bringing in a 4th line center, yet Lamo is a genius partially filling needs without giving up picks. We sized up a little on the bottom end and picked up a little depth on D without giving up picks or prospects and we're the losers. Consider the source.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

A lot of that negative press came out of Toronto. They needed D badly and stood pat, bringing in a 4th line center, yet Lamo is a genius partially filling needs without giving up picks. We sized up a little on the bottom end and picked up a little depth on D without giving up picks or prospects and we're the losers. Consider the source.:rolleyes:

lol yep.

To be honest most of the deals were a wash for us.  I think the Benn deal was an upgrade (we actually got positionally stronger) albeit Pateryn is younger.   We managed to turn an apparently untradeable asset (DD) into another top 6 dman.  The Ott and King trades were for mid-level picks (I think Ott will be useless but i see King as an upgrade on at least one of our 4th liners).

That leaves only 1 questionable deal to me (Andrighetto for Martinsen) which i think - unless ive missed something - we lost. Maybe our scouts think Martinsen is the next Bertuzzi waiting to break out of his shell but I dont see it.  

Either way, 3 good deals, 1 Meh and 1 probably loss - all for fringe players or mid level picks... not sure how you can call the deals a loss.   You can say we should have done more. You could say the deals wont do much for us, but i dont think you can call them a loss.  

12 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Either way, 3 good deals, 1 Meh and 1 probably loss - all for fringe players or mid level picks... not sure how you can call the deals a loss.   You can say we should have done more. You could say the deals wont do much for us, but i dont think you can call them a loss.  

They probably should have said we didn't do anything to address our lack of scoring .

• H_T_L locked this topic