The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Trade Deadline

H_T_L

16 minutes ago, RicochetII said:

Have we given up on the idea of reuniting Galchenyuk and Yakupov?

Don't see the point in advertising the availability of Pateryn unless we need to move him to make room for someone.

Yeah i was thinking about Yaks after we hired Julien. I had zero interest in him while Therrien was coaching because you had to figure he'd be misused. I have a little more faith in Julien (even though he can be hard on younger/unproven players) but i guess the question is really "What is the cost."   The oilers initially got Zach Pochiro and a 3rd (conditional) pick for Yakupov.  I think his stock has probably gone down since the trade but Pochino is sort of a 'safe bet' to be a 3rd (or maybe 2nd liner) while Yakupov obviously has a high ceiling but may never get there. 

I suspect, if we wanted him, we could get him for either a 2nd rounder + very low level prospect, or maybe straight up for a guy like DLR, Byron or Carr. 

The Pateryn thing surprises me.  He's been nothing but a solid 3rd pairing guy and he's cheap cheap, so why move him?  I mean sure, if its part of a deal & someone wants him thats fine but why actively shop him?   Some of MB's moves really are head scratchers. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah i was thinking about Yaks after we hired Julien. I had zero interest in him while Therrien was coaching because you had to figure he'd be misused. I have a little more faith in Julien (even though he can be hard on younger/unproven players) but i guess the question is really "What is the cost."   The oilers initially got Zach Pochiro and a 3rd (conditional) pick for Yakupov.  I think his stock has probably gone down since the trade but Pochino is sort of a 'safe bet' to be a 3rd (or maybe 2nd liner) while Yakupov obviously has a high ceiling but may never get there. 

I suspect, if we wanted him, we could get him for either a 2nd rounder + very low level prospect, or maybe straight up for a guy like DLR, Byron or Carr. 

The Pateryn thing surprises me.  He's been nothing but a solid 3rd pairing guy and he's cheap cheap, so why move him?  I mean sure, if its part of a deal & someone wants him thats fine but why actively shop him?   Some of MB's moves really are head scratchers. 

St Louis has cap crunch issues incoming, which is the primary reason for moving Shattenkirk. Any one of those you mention could work simply as cheaper options for their lineup (Yakupov is at $2.5M). 

It's somewhat hopefully that we didn't hear Beaulieu is being shopped around in similar fashion.

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

http://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/breaking-gm-puts-player-on-the-trading-block-after-off-ice-scandal

this is why. im actually really iriitated by this....if my wife did that id be furious, unless of course he was encouraging her. as it is i think this nesterov guy sucks and im annoyed we lost barberio and now we're gonna lose pateryn. 

How about this one

http://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/carey-price-snaps-at-practice-after-shocking-rumors-of-incriminating-video-surface

First, if you missed our coverage earlier today Price has been linked to an incriminating video from a bar in Montreal, and has reportedly dispatched an attorney to take possession of that video, although to what end is still unclear at this time.

20 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

http://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/breaking-gm-puts-player-on-the-trading-block-after-off-ice-scandal

this is why. im actually really iriitated by this....if my wife did that id be furious, unless of course he was encouraging her. as it is i think this nesterov guy sucks and im annoyed we lost barberio and now we're gonna lose pateryn. 

Sigh.  Yeah, i saw the screencaps (she has since deleted her account) so its not just some baseless scandal.  The tweets contained profanity so i wont link to them.

I dont blame MB for putting him on the block. It was a pretty crap thing to say. I mean i appreciate her frustration but to a) put it out on the twitter-sphere and b ) use a derogatory comment towards  a French coach in a French market was pretty dumb.   Im still hopeful he wont get dealt because i think he's a solid 3rd pairing guy but I guess it is what it is at this point. 

9 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

How about this one

http://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/carey-price-snaps-at-practice-after-shocking-rumors-of-incriminating-video-surface

First, if you missed our coverage earlier today Price has been linked to an incriminating video from a bar in Montreal, and has reportedly dispatched an attorney to take possession of that video, although to what end is still unclear at this time.

This one seems very speculative.  Id hesistate to read much into it until something more concrete comes forward. Not a single reputable site has any story on this (unlike the Pateryn story). 

anyone see what she wrote on twitter

I can't post it but Im surprised he's in the lineup after that

While Stefani Pateryn, the wife of 26-year-old Montreal Canadiens defenseman Greg Pateryn, may have deleted her twitter account, the internet has a habit of not forgetting things so easily, and now it has been revealed that she also went on to make bigoted comments regarding both the former and current head coach of the Montreal Canadiens

Personally I think the whole "Pateryn is available" business seems to be an overreaction from Bergevin. First off, there is no clear indication that she is talking about Therrien or Julien even though that seems to be an implication. But most importantly, this is his wife who went on a rant, not Pateryn himself. Who cares. Pateryn is not responsible for his wife's behavior, he's responsible for his own behavior. Tom Brady's wife went on a rant about how bad all his teammates were when they lost a Super Bowl, and the Patriots didn't go trading him. Plenty of other hockeywives have expressed discontent about their husbands' situations too. Were Pateryn's wife's comments out of line? Absolutely. But it is senseless to trade away an asset for that reason, just as it was senseless to trade away Kassian because another person got in a car accident driving him. If these types of things were really so important, then why did Bergevin go out and trade for a player (Shaw) who got in hot water for making homophobic remarks himself? Not his wife. Not his best friend. Shaw himself made disparaging remarks, and Bergevin didn't seem to have a problem with that. There's clearly a double standard here.

I think the other thing we're not talking about with the Pateryn situation is that his wife is right to be upset. Pateryn has been far better than Nesterov, and yet Nesterov seems to get more playing time. Pateryn's been better than Emelin of late, and Emelin remains on the first pairing. Pateryn has been a very serviceable 3rd pairing guy, and we frankly don't have another player to replace him. Nesterov is a lesser player. Redmond is a lesser player. Johnston and Hanley don't deserve to play in the NHL right now. And we let Barberio go for nothing. So Pateryn is really our most competent option for that #6 D spot. Let's also talk about this organization has muffled the development of just about all its young defencemen. It treated Subban horribly and traded him for an inferior player. It failed miserably ate developing Tinordi. It failed to give Pateryn a decent chance thus far. It's taken too long to develop Beaulieu. It failed with Darren Dietz and let him walk. It failed before that with Ryan O'Byrne. This organization has done an awful awful job, from Lefebvre to Therrien to Bergevin at turning prospects into NHL-quality defencemen. So what Pateryn's wife said was inappropriate, but don't penalize the player for his wife's frustration and don't penalize the team by trading him away at a loss and most importantly, get your own act together when it comes to developing your D men and getting the right guys in the line-up.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

First off, there is no clear indication that she is talking about Therrien or Julien even though that seems to be an implication.

If you read the one deleted tweet, there's absolutely NO ambiguity over who she was talking about.  She was calling out both coaches & put an exclamation point on it with a disparaging remark about them being French.

I completely agree with everything else you said. Even if Bergevin absolutely positively felt like he had to get rid of Pateryn after that, you dont go sending out a league wide memo (most likely lowering his value because now its obvious we want to trade him) you start looking for real "hockey trades" in which he's a part of the package. 

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

Sigh.  Yeah, i saw the screencaps (she has since deleted her account) so its not just some baseless scandal.  The tweets contained profanity so i wont link to them.

I dont blame MB for putting him on the block. It was a pretty crap thing to say. I mean i appreciate her frustration but to a) put it out on the twitter-sphere and b ) use a derogatory comment towards  a French coach in a French market was pretty dumb.   Im still hopeful he wont get dealt because i think he's a solid 3rd pairing guy but I guess it is what it is at this point. 

He'll be dealt for her sake. Life would be hell for a Habs player married to a bigot.

4 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

In before the trade deadline passes.

No Duchene.  No Shattenkirk.  Could be Hanzal.

I wonder if Julien would persuade MB to poach some guys from Boston, to build his type of team.  Feels weird though. 

The players in Boston had enough of CJ and likely wouldn't relish being reunited. A message gets stale after awhile and it was likely his shelf life was over in Boston.Fresh start, fresh players.

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

If you read the one deleted tweet, there's absolutely NO ambiguity over who she was talking about.  She was calling out both coaches & put an exclamation point on it with a disparaging remark about them being French.

I completely agree with everything else you said. Even if Bergevin absolutely positively felt like he had to get rid of Pateryn after that, you dont go sending out a league wide memo (most likely lowering his value because now its obvious we want to trade him) you start looking for real "hockey trades" in which he's a part of the package. 

I'd like to keep Paty unless a trade gets us an upgrade, but all the signs from the past would indicate he's a goner.. We all know what MB does to distractions in Montreal, and it's likely the press doesn't let this one slide. It will be a side show that this team doesn't need to deal with in their fragile state.

27 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I'd like to keep Paty unless a trade gets us an upgrade, but all the signs from the past would indicate he's a goner.. We all know what MB does to distractions in Montreal, and it's likely the press doesn't let this one slide. It will be a side show that this team doesn't need to deal with in their fragile state.

Guys that MB has traded because he didn't like what they did away from the ice: Subban, Thomas, Kristo, Kassian, DSP, Tinordi, now possibly Pateryn and Galchenyuk. The list of what MB allows is getting shorter and shorter, and he's been unable to get full value for anyone he's dealt up until now. He needs to find another way to deal with these things.

6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Guys that MB has traded because he didn't like what they did away from the ice: Subban, Thomas, Kristo, Kassian, DSP, Tinordi, now possibly Pateryn and Galchenyuk. The list of what MB allows is getting shorter and shorter, and he's been unable to get full value for anyone he's dealt up until now. He needs to find another way to deal with these things.

Correct BT, because before long, players are going to realize its getting too tedious to play here.

Keeping up appearances and our image is one thing, but going too far can be overwhelming.

Per the Fourth Period, Marc Bergevin is very active on the phones.

"The Canadiens have held discussions with the St. Louis Blues about forward Patrik Berglund and defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk, the Arizona Coyotes about center Martin Hanzal, the Colorado Avalanche about both forwards Matt Duchene and Gabriel Landeskog, and the Dallas Stars about left wing Patrick Eaves, among others"

The article also links us to Canucks veteran Alexandre Burrows, Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith, and Tampa Bay Lightning forward Brian Boyle.

53 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Per the Fourth Period, Marc Bergevin is very active on the phones.

"The Canadiens have held discussions with the St. Louis Blues about forward Patrik Berglund and defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk, the Arizona Coyotes about center Martin Hanzal, the Colorado Avalanche about both forwards Matt Duchene and Gabriel Landeskog, and the Dallas Stars about left wing Patrick Eaves, among others"

The article also links us to Canucks veteran Alexandre Burrows, Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brendan Smith, and Tampa Bay Lightning forward Brian Boyle.

Sportsnet pre-game show were saying that Duchene won't be moved, as the asking price is too high for a contender, that hopes to go all the way. 

7 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Sportsnet pre-game show were saying that Duchene won't be moved, as the asking price is too high for a contender, that hopes to go all the way. 

Honestly, when you look at who is available, im not expecting much.

My gut tells me we will add a rental centre (like Hanzal) and maybe a vet winger (Iginla, Cammy, Vanek or Jagr).  And probably a depth defensman.  We wont give up a lot to get any of them. 

If Bergevin truly wants to make an impact, i think we need to get a puck moving defensman who can play next to Weber.  Thats our biggest need. I think Julien will be able to make our current lot of forwards work to be honest.  I just dont think there are any rentals out there that fit the bill, meaning we're going to probably need to make a "hockey trade" of some solid asset(s) for a #2 dman.   We can sit and wait for Sergachev but how long do Weber/Price/Pacioretty et al have as a group to wait?

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

My gut tells me we will add a rental centre (like Hanzal) and maybe a vet winger (Iginla, Cammy, Vanek or Jagr).  And probably a depth defensman.  We wont give up a lot to get any of them. 

If Bergevin truly wants to make an impact, i think we need to get a puck moving defensman who can play next to Weber.  Thats our biggest need. I think Julien will be able to make our current lot of forwards work to be honest.  I just dont think there are any rentals out there that fit the bill, meaning we're going to probably need to make a "hockey trade" of some solid asset(s) for a #2 dman.   We can sit and wait for Sergachev but how long do Weber/Price/Pacioretty et al have as a group to wait?

Given that MB doesn't want to give up any of his top 5 prospects, it seems like a big trade would be remote, despite the rumors from the media that MB is putting his ear to all conversations. The truth with Duchene is that his contract isn't expiring an Colorado isn't pressed to make a trade. In fact, I expect that because of the expansion draft, more GM's will be hesitant to make big moves now if they're afraid it will lead to another player being exposed and claimed. In our case, though, we really don't have many forwards that need protecting, so we do have room to acquire Duchene or Landeskog.

What do I think MB will do? I think he's more likely to add a cheaper rental than go after a real long-term solution. I really wouldn't be surprised if we do something with Dallas, be it for Eaves, Sharp, or Roussel, and to that end, I think MB is ready to give up one of our upcoming 2nd rounders. I also wouldn't be surprised if we go after a mid-level defenceman, like Streit, Hainsey, Kulikov,or Franson, giving up a 3rd to 5th round pick. I'd be surprised if MB moves any actual players to acquire assets. He may move someone like Pateryn to get a 5th rounder back. I doubt he finds any takers for DD or Plekanec or Emelin. And if he does look at something like a Duchene or RNH, I'm afraid he'll make it a lateral move via trading Galchenyuk rather than actually adding to the top 6.

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

My gut tells me we will add in rental centre (like Hanzal) and maybe a vet winger (Iginla, Cammy, Vanek or Jagr).  And probably a depth defensman.  We wont give up a lot to get any of them. 

If Bergevin truly wants to make an impact, i think we need to get a puck moving defensman who can play next to Weber.  Thats our biggest need. I think Julien will be able to make our current lot of forwards work to be honest. 

I too am not expecting much,,, maybe a tweak or 2, but nothing major. MB has to decide if we're all in for a run (2-3 Rd.) or a "wait 'til next year". philosophy. "If"
 we're all in, then the prospects on the farm won't be helping us for a few years, and "expendable" for this year. If MB stands pat (no major trades), well, the core group will be older, and maybe even dispersed, in the next few years.

Conundrum. 

If he's going to trade Pateryn , which it seems he's intent on doing , then IMO  they need to get another D man back .

The D is weak , they are getting on in age and there isn't a D man on the farm that can be considered a prospect .

Streit s like 39 years old, I shudder if they bring him back .

Im starting to think that getting rid of PK was really stupid when they didn't have a back plan .

And Im not in favor of seeing VaneK, Ignilia, Cammileri etc here .  They'll just be rental;s and it's not like adding one or more of them will bring this team closer to the cup .

I

• H_T_L locked this topic