Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Trade Deadline


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yikes, for a rental

18 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Hanzal goes Wild but at such a high price for a rental. A first rounder and a second rounder and possibly another second rounder.

Yikes, for e rental

The Arizona Coyotes have traded forwards Martin Hanzal, Ryan White and a 4th-Round pick in 2017 to the Minnesota Wild for a 1st-Round pick in 2017, a 2nd-Round pick in 2018, a conditional 4th-Round pick in 2019 and minor leaguer Grayson Downing

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Yikes, for a rental

Yikes, for e rental

The Arizona Coyotes have traded forwards Martin Hanzal, Ryan White and a 4th-Round pick in 2017 to the Minnesota Wild for a 1st-Round pick in 2017, a 2nd-Round pick in 2018, a conditional 4th-Round pick in 2019 and minor leaguer Grayson Downing

 

Well, White was the obvious target in this trade. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RicochetII said:

Bishop takes a 5th (2017) and bolts from Tampa to LA.
Return is Budaj, Erik Cernak, a 7th and a conditional pick (2017).

Also glad Hanzal is out of reach now.

Things are heating up now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hanzal obviously not worth that price, but just goes to show that he's being over-valued. Just goes to show that getting 2 late 2nd's for Eller wasn't really any kind of a steal.

So here's the question: if Hanzal fetched a 1st, a 2nd, and maybe another 2nd, then how much is Duchene worth? How much is RNH worth? How much is Shattenkirk worth? If that's really the cost of getting a top-notch player, then MB is likely going to have to sit this trade deadline out. So I would not be surprised in the least if all MB does is go out and fetch a role player for the wing or for the D. But I don't expect a big splash.

It does bring up this other question then: if we're not going to be able to legitimately make a Cup run this year, then what could we get for trading away our own players? What would pending UFA Andrei Markov fetch on the market? Alex Radulov has got to be worth much more than Hanzal. Emelin might be worth something. Paul Byron? Andrew Shaw? I don't think MB throws in the towel on anyone, but if you could rake in 2 firsts for Radulov and then re-sign him in the off-season, would you give up any shot at a playoff run this year to do that? Would you give up Markov for a 1st rounder? Emelin for two 2nd's?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Hanzal obviously not worth that price, but just goes to show that he's being over-valued. Just goes to show that getting 2 late 2nd's for Eller wasn't really any kind of a steal.

So here's the question: if Hanzal fetched a 1st, a 2nd, and maybe another 2nd, then how much is Duchene worth? How much is RNH worth? How much is Shattenkirk worth? If that's really the cost of getting a top-notch player, then MB is likely going to have to sit this trade deadline out. So I would not be surprised in the least if all MB does is go out and fetch a role player for the wing or for the D. But I don't expect a big splash.

It does bring up this other question then: if we're not going to be able to legitimately make a Cup run this year, then what could we get for trading away our own players? What would pending UFA Andrei Markov fetch on the market? Alex Radulov has got to be worth much more than Hanzal. Emelin might be worth something. Paul Byron? Andrew Shaw? I don't think MB throws in the towel on anyone, but if you could rake in 2 firsts for Radulov and then re-sign him in the off-season, would you give up any shot at a playoff run this year to do that? Would you give up Markov for a 1st rounder? Emelin for two 2nd's?

I wouldn't be happy being a seller, but it would at least be something definitive. As long as we added a couple of players to be excited about, I would eventually get on board.

Either we're done and starting over, or we're moving assets to make this work. What I don't want is to keep dawdling in the middle and ending up disappointed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah it looks like the offers aren't getting any better and teams are taking what they can get. More likely we get something done with Colorado, Dallas or another west coast team. I think we have some short term fixes that can be had for cheap ie. a Sharp, but we'' ll ave to wait and see. I am glad Bergevin missed on Hanzel as that was a bit too pricey in my mind. Minnesota going for the gusto this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

 I don't think MB throws in the towel on anyone, but if you could rake in 2 firsts for Radulov and then re-sign him in the off-season, would you give up any shot at a playoff run this year to do that? Would you give up Markov for a 1st rounder? Emelin for two 2nd's?

With the way the Habs have drafted and how the past prospects have progressed what are the chances of these future picks amounting to anything

The D currently is weak , aside from Mikhail Sergachev, we don't have any D men to look forward to . The one we did is in Nashville now. My concern is we get rod of Markov and Emelin, and MB appears to want to trade GP , then the D is really bare

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, RicochetII said:

I wouldn't be happy being a seller, but it would at least be something definitive. As long as we added a couple of players to be excited about, I would eventually get on board.

Either we're done and starting over, or we're moving assets to make this work. What I don't want is to keep dawdling in the middle and ending up disappointed.

So that's the thing... are we going to be able to "buy" something that puts us in a position to win if MB doesn't want to give up Sergachev or 3-4 other prospects? It'll be hard. We'd probably end up having to give up multiple 1st round picks to be able to acquire a player of value. Otherwise, we'll be looking at getting a Sharp or Vanek or Iginla or other mid-level asset, and that might not be enough. So the question is whether it's better to do nothing or whether it's better to trade away assets like Markov, Radulov, Emelin, etc...

 

23 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Yeah it looks like the offers aren't getting any better and teams are taking what they can get. More likely we get something done with Colorado, Dallas or another west coast team. I think we have some short term fixes that can be had for cheap ie. a Sharp, but we'' ll ave to wait and see. I am glad Bergevin missed on Hanzel as that was a bit too pricey in my mind. Minnesota going for the gusto this year.

The only thing that helps us is that as these trades happen, there will be fewer contenders who can fit players under the cap. So if teams really do want to deal their assets before the trade deadline, then they may have fewer options to deal to and prices could drop in the last couple of hours. Only hope, perhaps, of getting a steal. That's how MB got Vanek a couple of years ago.

22 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

With the way the Habs have drafted and how the past prospects have progressed what are the chances of these future picks amounting to anything

The D currently is weak , aside from Mikhail Sergachev, we don't have any D men to look forward to . The one we did is in Nashville now. My concern is we get rod of Markov and Emelin, and MB appears to want to trade GP , then the D is really bare

Without those 3, we're looking at

Beaulieu-Weber

Nesterov-Petry

Johnston-Redmond

But if you're trading those three, then presumably you're giving up on a legitimate chance this year, so the goal would be to build up the D for next year. You can add Sergachev to the mix, and presumably we would have cap space to either add via free agency or to trade for someone from a team that can't protect 4 D in the expansion draft. As for who else we have, I would argue Juulsen is thought of pretty highly. I don't think he has #1 D man potential like Sergachev, but he could certainly end up being a top 4 D man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not upset in the least losing out on Hanzal at that price.Understand that this years draft is considered weak, but that was a major overpayment. If this is an example of what it will take for an upgrade, then i'm not hopeful of a major acquisition.Going to stick with my earlier prediction of Vanek and Streit at this point. Maybe take a chance on Wiz if everything falls through. What would we have to lose?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

So that's the thing... are we going to be able to "buy" something that puts us in a position to win if MB doesn't want to give up Sergachev or 3-4 other prospects? It'll be hard. We'd probably end up having to give up multiple 1st round picks to be able to acquire a player of value. Otherwise, we'll be looking at getting a Sharp or Vanek or Iginla or other mid-level asset, and that might not be enough. So the question is whether it's better to do nothing or whether it's better to trade away assets like Markov, Radulov, Emelin, etc...

...

That's the question right now. I don't trust our prospect development/management currently (though hopefully that changes quickly). All we've done with our prospects lately is use them use/develop them ineffectively and move them at reduced value (Tinordi and Andrighetto had value at one point in time). Anyone who isn't going to be given an opportunity to get into the lineup by the end of next year is expendable to me, if we are trying to "win now". Otherwise, anyone who could be gone after next year might as well be sold off. Turn the team over to our prospects and see who is worth keeping beyond next season. Then work on building that group up instead of constantly sticking duct tape to this group.

39 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Not upset in the least losing out on Hanzal at that price.Understand that this years draft is considered weak, but that was a major overpayment. If this is an example of what it will take for an upgrade, then i'm not hopeful of a major acquisition.Going to stick with my earlier prediction of Vanek and Streit at this point. Maybe take a chance on Wiz if everything falls through. What would we have to lose?

I wouldn't mind seeing what Wiz has to offer. I liked him last time around and he's been here before, so there's some familiarity. Most importantly, he doesn't cost anything to acquire (unless I'm mistaken) unless waivers apply and someone else scoops him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, RicochetII said:

 

I wouldn't mind seeing what Wiz has to offer. I liked him last time around and he's been here before, so there's some familiarity. Most importantly, he doesn't cost anything to acquire (unless I'm mistaken) unless waivers apply and someone else scoops him?

He would cost us something as he belongs to the Blues. Currently playing in the AHL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

He would cost us something as he belongs to the Blues. Currently playing in the AHL.

I believe he's a UFA. He was released by his KHL team and has now signed a 25-game tryout contract with the Chicago Wolves. This is the affiliate for the Blues, but he's not actually property of the Blues as far as I know. Once he finishes his tryout, then he's free to go wherever he chooses, and I would guess he has an out in his tryout that if he's offered an NHL contract, he can move on where he chooses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

He would cost us something as he belongs to the Blues. Currently playing in the AHL.

As Ted said. Here's a story that came out on him recently as well: http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/22/poof--i-was-gone-wisniewskis-story-underlines-slippery-slope-for-veteran-nhlers

There is a paywall on that link, but you get 10 free articles, so should be able to see it if you don't visit often.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I believe he's a UFA. He was released by his KHL team and has now signed a 25-game tryout contract with the Chicago Wolves. This is the affiliate for the Blues, but he's not actually property of the Blues as far as I know. Once he finishes his tryout, then he's free to go wherever he chooses, and I would guess he has an out in his tryout that if he's offered an NHL contract, he can move on where he chooses.

 

8 hours ago, RicochetII said:

As Ted said. Here's a story that came out on him recently as well: http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/22/poof--i-was-gone-wisniewskis-story-underlines-slippery-slope-for-veteran-nhlers

There is a paywall on that link, but you get 10 free articles, so should be able to see it if you don't visit often.

Thanks for that info. More of an option then I first  thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...