The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Trade Deadline

H_T_L

9 minutes ago, RicochetII said:

Good. If you're going to be giving up 1sts and 2nds for a rental, might as well add a prospect or two and try for a non-rental.

Agreed. Cmon MB:  Emelin + Juulsen + Picks for RNH + _____

There are rumblings that Colorado actually never had intentions of trading Duchene or Landeskog at the deadline but are instead just gauging their value for what they believe would be a much bigger trade in the offseason (teams wont part with core players this time of year if they are heading into the playoffs)

35 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Agreed. Cmon MB:  Emelin + Juulsen + Picks for RNH + _____

There are rumblings that Colorado actually never had intentions of trading Duchene or Landeskog at the deadline but are instead just gauging their value for what they believe would be a much bigger trade in the offseason (teams wont part with core players this time of year if they are heading into the playoffs)

I dont think we should even need to add + picks. juulsen is a 1st rounder. anyway i agree because im hearing the same nonsense about colorado. seems like the next best move we could make, other than possibly just doing nothing and going after duchene in the summer

50 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

I dont think we should even need to add + picks. juulsen is a 1st rounder

Depends what the plus minuses are.  I am not sure Edmonton would do RNH for Emelin and Juulsen straight up but maybe they would. Depends how much they like Emelin i guess. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Depends what the plus minuses are.  I am not sure Edmonton would do RNH for Emelin and Juulsen straight up but maybe they would. Depends how much they like Emelin i guess. 

Don't know if I'm slow picking up on it, but Emelin did perform well against the Bruins when Chiarelli was there, so maybe he has a somewhat skewed view of Emelin.
What seems to be out there however, is that they are looking for a center who can win draws for the 3rd line, as McDavid and RNH are both around 44% (Side note, that's around where Galchenyuk is at as well, so while it's not good, let's stop pretending it means he can't or shouldn't play center).
To fill that need, we have Plekanec around 50.6, Danault 51.8, Mitchell 53.9, Shaw at 55.2 (Shaw with the smallest sample size at 275 draws taken). We can scratch Desharnais off the list at 47.1%.

None of those players we could offer is likely to get us a satisfactory return, although just losing Plekanec's salary could be justification enough to trade him, I don't see what salary we could take back to make it work, other than Fayne who has been banished to the AHL or Pouliot, who is arguably a worse allocation of cap space. So we would have to retain salary in the process.

If we are able to pry RNH out of Edmonton, based on their interest in Emelin, it would take one of the better and less pricey options of Mitchell or Danault, Emelin, and at least a 1st or decent prospect. Edmonton doesn't have a 2nd rounder this year either, so they might be interested in one of ours.
(Keep in mind that would also give us a top 2 center combination similar to their current situation, where our top 2 would be around 44% efficiency.)

Bob McKenzie: "TB working to finalize a trade to send Brian Boyle to TOR. No trade call so nothing official yet."

Boyle, 32, has 13 goals and nine assists over 54 games with the Lightning this season.

The centre will be an unrestricted free agent at season’s end after signing a three-year $6 million contract with the Bolts before the start of the 2014-15 season.

The American has also spent time with the New York Rangers and Los Angeles Kings, who drafted him in the first round (26th overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Boyle has tallied 93 goals and 73 assists in 603 career games.

Now confirmed. a 2nd and an AHLer, Brian Froese.

Seems Quincey might be available.NJ is sitting him out tonight. 1.25 mil.

Kyle Quincey

Defense -- shoots L
Born Aug 12 1985 -- Kitchener, ONT 
[31 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.02 -- Weight 216 [188 cm/98 kg]

16 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Seems Quincey might be available.NJ is sitting him out tonight. 1.25 mil.

Kyle Quincey

Defense -- shoots L
Born Aug 12 1985 -- Kitchener, ONT 
[31 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.02 -- Weight 216 [188 cm/98 kg]

I wouldn't mind trying him in the top 4, if we have a new destination for Emelin, even better.

ONTREAL - The Canadiens acquired defenseman Jordie Benn from the Dallas Stars on Monday in exchange for defenseman Greg Pateryn and a fourth-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.

Benn, 29, played 58 games with the Stars during the 2016-17 campaign. He scored two goals and added 13 assists for 15 points, while also posting a minus-3 differential and amassing 24 penalty minutes.
Pateryn, 26, leaves the Canadiens after spending five years in the organization. He suffered a fractured ankle earlier this season that caused him to miss significant playing time. Pateryn appeared in 24 games this year, amassing one goal and six points.

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/the-canadiens-acquired-jordie-benn-from-the-dallas-stars-in-exchange-for-greg-pateryn/c-287183978

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2004-05 Victoria Salsa BCHL 4 0 1 1 6   1 0 0 0 2
2005-06 Victoria Salsa BCHL 55 5 20 25 61   16 1 5 6 6
2006-07 Victoria Grizzlies BCHL 53 4 37 41 62   11 1 7 8 22
2007-08 Victoria Grizzlies BCHL 59 14 32 46 78   11 2 8 10 8
2008-09 Victoria Salmon Kings ECHL 55 1 11 12 26 -7 3 0 0 0 0
2009-10 Allen Americans CHL 45 9 9 18 55 0 20 2 9 11 12
2010-11 Texas Stars AHL 60 2 10 12 39 -2 1 0 0 0 0
2011-12 Texas Stars AHL 62 9 23 32 33 -9 -- -- -- -- --
2011-12 Dallas Stars NHL 3 0 2 2 0 1 -- -- -- -- --
2012-13 Texas Stars AHL 43 7 14 21 33 5 7 0 2 2 10
2012-13 Dallas Stars NHL 26 1 5 6 10 -4 -- -- -- -- --
2013-14 Dallas Stars NHL 78 3 17 20 30 16 6 0 3 3 2
2014-15 Dallas Stars NHL 73 2 14 16 34 -5 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Dallas Stars NHL 64 3 9 12 21 2 1 0 0 0 4
2016-17 Dallas Stars NHL 58 2 13 15 24 -3          
  NHL Totals   302 11 60 71 119   7 0 3

From some general reactions/twitter stuff it seems like a pretty solid deal? I don't know him much but from some quick looks at stats and Stars fans I follow it seems like he's scoring and generating shots at a #5/fringe #4 rate but getting #6 minutes. Worst case scenario we got another bottom pairing guy, best case scenario he can form a credible second pairing with Petry doing the heavy lifting which is more than can be said about Emelin. 4th round pick is whatever, not a big deal IMO.

Also seems like the precursor to another LH D going in a trade, between Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu, Benn, Nesterov it seems like something has to give. Hopefully that something is Emelin instead of Beaulieu.

2 minutes ago, RicochetII said:

Expected Pateryn to be traded. Was hoping it was in a package. This wasn't what I had in mind.

Basically a lateral move to get rid of an unhappy player (or at least his unhappy wife), so I guess the 4th was to compensate Dallas for taking her as well? :P

:4224:

• H_T_L locked this topic