The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

THERRIEN FIRED. HABS HIRE CLAUDE JULIEN!

BigTed3

9 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Has there been any news about giving up something like a draft pick, for permission to approach CJ???

Methinks we have to pick up the rest of his salary from the ruins. Haven't heard anything about us giving up anything more.

1 hour ago, RicochetII said:

Been a while for me as well. 

I had to stop myself from posting because I was simply going to be repeating the same generally negative comments until this one major issue was resolved. Might be able to start posting again now that the ball and chain has been severed.

Yes please! I want to watch the fireworks! 

Ouch! :D

-----

Everything looks weird and the forum is beeping at me (thanks kinot), I'm scared. :(

Rico welcome back buddy.

any forum related questions just ask

You know the boys are going to bring it this Saturday, glad I'm off to watch the game.  I for the first time ever almost shut off the game against the B's.  I bet Galchenyuk kinda feels a big weight being lifted, cant wait to see how well the boys react to this.

The other interesting thing that was reported today was that the Habs also asked permission from Florida to speak to Gerard Gallant. This is almost as much of a headline to me for two reasons:

1. Gallant doesn't speak French. He was a good assistant coach here, but he doesn't speak French. He's also fairly highly thought of throughout the league, so it's pretty unlikely that he would have been offered or accepted an interim job. That means that the Habs organization was actually considering giving the job to an Anglophone coach, which is a HUGE step in the right direction in terms of philosophy. I personally believe Julien is a better choice than Gallant, but Gallant would have been acceptable too. But more than that, it suggests that if ever we need a coach in the future, the Habs have not completely closed the door to hiring a qualified non-Francophone, and that's just as important as getting Julien now.

2. No mention about whether Muller was considered. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. But what does that say to Muller that he was passed over. Muller left St. Louis because the Blues made it clear to him he was not in the running to succeed Hitchcock. He decided he wanted to go somewhere where he would have more opportunity to get back to a head coaching job some day. Maybe it was unrealistic of him to expect that to be in Montreal, but if the Habs are open to an Anglo coach now (which it seems they might be), they might have suggested to KM that the possibility existed when he signed here. So what does this mean for him now? He's a fantastic associate coach, and hopefully this turn of events doesn't lead him to leave at season's end.

3 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Rico welcome back buddy.

any forum related questions just ask

3 hours ago, Clues said:

This. Welcome back!

Thanks, and will do! :D Everything seems to run smoother (so far), so there's a plus. If I see anything strange I'll be sure to freak out and/or hyperventilate before calming down enough to ask.

2 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Just checking back to make sure it's real.

I woke up and it hit me again, so I was able to experience the relief twice.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

The other interesting thing that was reported today was that the Habs also asked permission from Florida to speak to Gerard Gallant. This is almost as much of a headline to me for two reasons:

1. Gallant doesn't speak French. He was a good assistant coach here, but he doesn't speak French. He's also fairly highly thought of throughout the league, so it's pretty unlikely that he would have been offered or accepted an interim job. That means that the Habs organization was actually considering giving the job to an Anglophone coach, which is a HUGE step in the right direction in terms of philosophy. I personally believe Julien is a better choice than Gallant, but Gallant would have been acceptable too. But more than that, it suggests that if ever we need a coach in the future, the Habs have not completely closed the door to hiring a qualified non-Francophone, and that's just as important as getting Julien now.

2. No mention about whether Muller was considered. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. But what does that say to Muller that he was passed over. Muller left St. Louis because the Blues made it clear to him he was not in the running to succeed Hitchcock. He decided he wanted to go somewhere where he would have more opportunity to get back to a head coaching job some day. Maybe it was unrealistic of him to expect that to be in Montreal, but if the Habs are open to an Anglo coach now (which it seems they might be), they might have suggested to KM that the possibility existed when he signed here. So what does this mean for him now? He's a fantastic associate coach, and hopefully this turn of events doesn't lead him to leave at season's end.

I do have some concerns with Julien, mainly because he's been kind of an "evil" coach from the Habs' perspective for years. I don't want our players to take on more of the attributes the Bruins have been known for, such as the crotch shots, undisciplined (yet somehow often un-penalized) play, and getting chippy when down or the game is essentially over. Not sure how much of that is perception or due to the players, but if he didn't encourage some of those elements, he at least allowed that culture to exist. Then there's the whole "poke the bear" thing, but to be fair, you can probably find things like that with any coach. 

I wouldn't have minded Gallant or Muller either, and I would love to shatter that glass ceiling for non-Francophone coaches in Montreal. It could have finally placed that to rest with a successful season, but it could have also solidified the barrier if they ended up being an interim placement ala Cunneyworth. I'd prefer to put up a stronger candidate to face that challenge. One that could hopefully end the French language debate for good. Babcock was that guy, not sure who else would be up to the task. 

I'll take the possibility that we were open to the idea as a positive sign though.

8 hours ago, RicochetII said:

Thanks, and will do! :D Everything seems to run smoother (so far), so there's a plus. If I see anything strange I'll be sure to freak out and/or hyperventilate before calming down enough to ask.

I woke up and it hit me again, so I was able to experience the relief twice.

I do have some concerns with Julien, mainly because he's been kind of an "evil" coach from the Habs' perspective for years. I don't want our players to take on more of the attributes the Bruins have been known for, such as the crotch shots, undisciplined (yet somehow often un-penalized) play, and getting chippy when down or the game is essentially over. Not sure how much of that is perception or due to the players, but if he didn't encourage some of those elements, he at least allowed that culture to exist. Then there's the whole "poke the bear" thing, but to be fair, you can probably find things like that with any coach. 

I wouldn't have minded Gallant or Muller either, and I would love to shatter that glass ceiling for non-Francophone coaches in Montreal. It could have finally placed that to rest with a successful season, but it could have also solidified the barrier if they ended up being an interim placement ala Cunneyworth. I'd prefer to put up a stronger candidate to face that challenge. One that could hopefully end the French language debate for good. Babcock was that guy, not sure who else would be up to the task. 

I'll take the possibility that we were open to the idea as a positive sign though.

Like everyone else I feel he's the best candidate for the job. All coaches teach their players to be tough and sometimes play dirty to win, that's normal at the pro level and semi pro level. I don't know why people still feel Babcock is this great coach. He hasn't done anything in Toronto and it's easy to be a great coach when you have the players he had in Detroit. What I like about Julien is that he won a cup without a bunch of superstar players. I can't wait to see what he does in Montreal with the quality players that we have at the moment that were being misused by Therrien. I expect him to preach more offense and give the better players more ice time as opposed to running 4 lines night in and night out. I couldn't stand seeing the 3rd and 4th line out there in the final minutes of the game when we needed to score a goal. We were probably the only team in the NHL that does that.

And one more thing: FINALLY THERRIEN IS GONE

48 minutes ago, GreekHockeyCoach said:

Like everyone else I feel he's the best candidate for the job. All coaches teach their players to be tough and sometimes play dirty to win, that's normal at the pro level and semi pro level. I don't know why people still feel Babcock is this great coach. He hasn't done anything in Toronto and it's easy to be a great coach when you have the players he had in Detroit. What I like about Julien is that he won a cup without a bunch of superstar players. I can't wait to see what he does in Montreal with the quality players that we have at the moment that were being misused by Therrien. I expect him to preach more offense and give the better players more ice time as opposed to running 4 lines night in and night out. I couldn't stand seeing the 3rd and 4th line out there in the final minutes of the game when we needed to score a goal. We were probably the only team in the NHL that does that.

And one more thing: FINALLY THERRIEN IS GONE

I'm just so, so excited to think that we might finally match lines based on the team we're playing/the game situation.  I'm equally excited to see what this team can do with a little structure.  I don't even know that Julien will make us into a more offense-focused team per se, but my hope is that he can help us to become a possession-focused team and the offense will just be able to flow from there.  Amongst all of Therrien's bad lineup decisions, it was really his insistence that dumping the puck away to the other team was somehow helping us defensively that was his biggest drawback.  If we can actually get a solid defensive system going, one that lets us force a turnover and then actually keep the puck, I think we'll see our offensive output start to come a long way as well.

19 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

I think Vegasrick might be worried. MT might end up with expansion team Las Vegas LOL. ^_^

I doubt it.  Vegas is new, not stupid.  Besides, Therrien doesn't speak Spanish. 

19 hours ago, maas_art said:

OMG YES.  Resign DD right now - and leave him exposed  - they'd for sure take him if MT has any say :6396:

No. NO.  NOOOOOOOOO..................

18 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Maybe all the pressure helped to sway MB's decision this time around.

I think Bergevin reads these boards.  

Well, my thoughts are:

1. Julien will bring a much more effective system of hockey to this team.  I was always impressed with his team's positional play.  There always seems to be a player in the right position, both offensively and defensively.  With the Habs' speed, this could help immensely.  And he's won a Cup.  Gosh, he might even put skill players on the same line with other skill players.  Won't that be refreshing?

2.  VERY unfortunate that it's taken this long, and as part of the whole MT debacle, the Habs had to throw away their best defenseman first before making the move for a new coach.  I would therefore have to agree that if Julien had not been available, Bergevin may not have made any move at all.  Which would also mean that if they did seriously talk to Gallant, a non-French speaking candidate, then they really blew it by trading Subban first.  In fact, they blew it by not hiring Larry Robinson first.  

3.  Muller may have gotten caught in the crossfire here, but that's the way it goes sometimes.  I hope Julien keeps him, but if he chooses not to, he will probably have a good reason.  In any event, I see the power play improving already.  I wonder if Carey Price's play will likewise return to its other-worldly self?  I almost get the feeling that Price's quality of play lately, while probably not intentional, had a lot to do with this move.  

It will be interesting to see what happens, but no matter what, I think we can count on a more effective team system which will make the Habs much harder to beat.  It appears Bergevin has pulled this franchise from the brink of disaster, at least for now.  

'Perhaps the most headscratching aspect of this coaching move involves the Bruins.

When Boston defeated the Canadiens 4-0 on Sunday, it marked Therrien’s final game behind the Canadiens bench. In the wake of the loss, the Habs asked permission from the Bruins to talk to Julien.

Why would the Bruins even consider doing that?

Why, oh why, would you grant your most bitter historical rivals — the Canadiens — the opportunity to scoop up one of the most respected bench bosses in the game, a proud man who will want to crush you for firing him just one week earlier?

Sure, Bruins president Cam Neely hasn’t seen eye to eye with Julien in the past dating back to 2010 when then-GM Peter Chiarelli refused the suggestion of upper management to fire the coach. Even so, allowing Julien, a man who certainly has an axe to grind with the Boston hierarchy, to go to your biggest enemy is a questionable decision.'

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/montreal-canadiens-gm-marc-bergevin-puts-himself-in-the-crosshairs-with-michel-therrien-firing

I think that unlike Boston GM Cam Neely, MB will give our coach CJ, carte-blanche instead of attempting to micro-manage him.

Boston's loss is definitely our gain/win in this scenario!

• H_T_L locked this topic