The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

THERRIEN FIRED. HABS HIRE CLAUDE JULIEN!

BigTed3

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The other interesting thing that was reported today was that the Habs also asked permission from Florida to speak to Gerard Gallant. This is almost as much of a headline to me for two reasons:

1. Gallant doesn't speak French. He was a good assistant coach here, but he doesn't speak French. He's also fairly highly thought of throughout the league, so it's pretty unlikely that he would have been offered or accepted an interim job. That means that the Habs organization was actually considering giving the job to an Anglophone coach, which is a HUGE step in the right direction in terms of philosophy. I personally believe Julien is a better choice than Gallant, but Gallant would have been acceptable too. But more than that, it suggests that if ever we need a coach in the future, the Habs have not completely closed the door to hiring a qualified non-Francophone, and that's just as important as getting Julien now.

2. No mention about whether Muller was considered. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. But what does that say to Muller that he was passed over. Muller left St. Louis because the Blues made it clear to him he was not in the running to succeed Hitchcock. He decided he wanted to go somewhere where he would have more opportunity to get back to a head coaching job some day. Maybe it was unrealistic of him to expect that to be in Montreal, but if the Habs are open to an Anglo coach now (which it seems they might be), they might have suggested to KM that the possibility existed when he signed here. So what does this mean for him now? He's a fantastic associate coach, and hopefully this turn of events doesn't lead him to leave at season's end.

Obviously all speculation on my part but here's a couple of counters:

1) On Gallant - its possible we were talking to him about an assistant position. If there's one thing MB seems to like to do, its hire people. I could easily see him bringing in yet another assistant or associate or alternate (lol) coach to the 'team.'  So i dont know it necessarily says he was looking at non-francophones. 

2) Muller is a tough one to call.  In theory i agree with you: he left St Louis after being told he wouldnt be HC, but you know sometimes you take lesser jobs because you like the business.  My point being, he maybe would only consider a head position in many places but in Montreal (A place he said he loved, even after - when he was playing for the Isle, and then again when he was playing for TO) maybe an associate is ok too.   I think had we brought in Gallant as well as Muller, or Gallant as HC over Muller, he'd take off, but as long as he and Julien get along I can see him sticking around for a while.   

I like the Julien hire. You've got a coach who has won a Stanley Cup. I would think at the end of the season, once all is said and done, that if Julien is still around, I think he'd want to pick his own assistants. As far as Gallant goes, I am very surprised the Red Wings have not contacted him yet. He starred for the Wings, and I'm sure he would be welcomed back there. Jeff Blashill has not done a thing for them. They will likely miss the playoffs.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

1) On Gallant - its possible we were talking to him about an assistant position. If there's one thing MB seems to like to do, its hire people. I could easily see him bringing in yet another assistant or associate or alternate (lol) coach to the 'team.'  So i dont know it necessarily says he was looking at non-francophones. 

2) Muller is a tough one to call.  In theory i agree with you: he left St Louis after being told he wouldnt be HC, but you know sometimes you take lesser jobs because you like the business.  My point being, he maybe would only consider a head position in many places but in Montreal (A place he said he loved, even after - when he was playing for the Isle, and then again when he was playing for TO) maybe an associate is ok too.   I think had we brought in Gallant as well as Muller, or Gallant as HC over Muller, he'd take off, but as long as he and Julien get along I can see him sticking around for a while.   

Muller probably took the associate's coaching job knowing full well before he signed on the dotted line he wouldn't get the head coaching job because he wasn't French. If another team offers him a HC job he is probably free to take it.  

11 hours ago, GreekHockeyCoach said:

Like everyone else I feel he's the best candidate for the job. All coaches teach their players to be tough and sometimes play dirty to win, that's normal at the pro level and semi pro level. I don't know why people still feel Babcock is this great coach. He hasn't done anything in Toronto and it's easy to be a great coach when you have the players he had in Detroit. What I like about Julien is that he won a cup without a bunch of superstar players. I can't wait to see what he does in Montreal with the quality players that we have at the moment that were being misused by Therrien. I expect him to preach more offense and give the better players more ice time as opposed to running 4 lines night in and night out. I couldn't stand seeing the 3rd and 4th line out there in the final minutes of the game when we needed to score a goal. We were probably the only team in the NHL that does that.

I really like Julien, but I also think Babcock is a great coach. He did well in Detroit and he had some good players but if you look at the team's structure and system it was always there as well. Detroit was a possession powerhouse for most of his tenure there. In the years before he left, they were 1st, 7th, 9th, and 3rd, even after Lidstrom left and Zetterberg and Datsyuk had passed their primes.

If you look at Toronto, they were dead last in possession in 12-13 and 13-14, 27th in 14-15, and then last year up to 13th in the league under Babcock, despite having a roster of nobodies. They're 16th thus far this season. Toronto does have some young stars now, but you look at teams like Edmonton and Buffalo and Phoenix who have had young stars as well and it's not a given that you succeed with just that. This year, Toronto has taken a big step in the standings, but the change in philosophy and system started last year under Babcock and has grown from there.

I buy the argument that no coach makes a team great all by himself, but if you compare Babcock to other guys, I think he does bring more to the table and does have some amount of impact on winning. I think we can say the same for Julien.

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

According to Bob McKenzie, Gallant was Plan B for the Habs. They never interviewed him, but he was meant to be the next guy in line to be offered the job if Julien wasn't interested or Boston didn't allow him to go. If the plan had been to make him an assistant, then he probably would have been offered that and could still have come on board with Julien.

From the Gazette:

'After that pathetic 4-0 loss to the Bruins Sunday — Therrien’s last stand as coach — Price said the team had lost its identity, a direct slap in Therrien’s face.

So Julien obviously has to figure out how to work with his all-world netminder. For decades, Montreal has built its team around the goalie and, sadly, this team only goes as far as Price carries it.

To come back to the original question, yeah, the players were obviously giving less than 110 per cent and so they’ll be upping that intensity under the watch of Julien and that’ll help. But is that enough? I’d say it’s enough to get them into the playoffs but beyond that, I’m not so sure.

This collapse proved there are still leadership issues in that room. Shea Weber was supposed to be the solution in that department, but the only advance billing he’s lived up to is what his critics predicted — a slower older guy who fades as the season progresses.

The funny thing is that the Greek tragedy that unfolded this week is tied to that Weber-P.K. Subban deal last summer. The failure to succeed here with P.K. was fundamentally Therrien’s failure, but The Trade looked like a way to forget all that and, better yet, bring in a taciturn blue-collar, lunch-bucket guy, precisely the sort of player Therrien lives for.

When things went belly-up, even after hand-crafting a team specifically for Therrien, there really was only one decision for the boss to make. That decision saves Bergevin’s job, but will it be enough to save the Habs’ season? Only the players can answer that question — beginning Saturday afternoon.'

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/what-the-puck-did-the-players-give-up-on-michel-therrien

20 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Julien needs to figure out his lines and stick to them. He also needs to get the Habs to own the puck, no more wasting energy chasing it down when that energy is better expended playing with it. 

In words of the ex coach..........."we like out system , " or something like that

5 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

From the Gazette:

'After that pathetic 4-0 loss to the Bruins Sunday — Therrien’s last stand as coach — Price said the team had lost its identity, a direct slap in Therrien’s face.

So Julien obviously has to figure out how to work with his all-world netminder. For decades, Montreal has built its team around the goalie and, sadly, this team only goes as far as Price carries it.

To come back to the original question, yeah, the players were obviously giving less than 110 per cent and so they’ll be upping that intensity under the watch of Julien and that’ll help. But is that enough? I’d say it’s enough to get them into the playoffs but beyond that, I’m not so sure.

This collapse proved there are still leadership issues in that room. Shea Weber was supposed to be the solution in that department, but the only advance billing he’s lived up to is what his critics predicted — a slower older guy who fades as the season progresses.

The funny thing is that the Greek tragedy that unfolded this week is tied to that Weber-P.K. Subban deal last summer. The failure to succeed here with P.K. was fundamentally Therrien’s failure, but The Trade looked like a way to forget all that and, better yet, bring in a taciturn blue-collar, lunch-bucket guy, precisely the sort of player Therrien lives for.

When things went belly-up, even after hand-crafting a team specifically for Therrien, there really was only one decision for the boss to make. That decision saves Bergevin’s job, but will it be enough to save the Habs’ season? Only the players can answer that question — beginning Saturday afternoon.'

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/what-the-puck-did-the-players-give-up-on-michel-therrien

this article is great.....i guess i would say that, since its a bit of an echo chamber to what ive been saying on here for months....but i think the proof is in the pudding

it was so clear that this coach needed to be fired at this exact same point a full year ago. and we didnt. and then the year ended and we STILL didnt. then we made two really bad moves to appease him, moving two guys he clearly didnt like, and now, as the article put it, the jury is in and its clear (although it was always clear to anyone looking at this team objectively) that it wasnt a "character" or "leadership" issue, its that we have a mediocre team (which is now worse thanks to these moves) being coached incompetently, which leads to landing on the sad side of mediocrity.

will julien do better and get more success out of these guys,i definitely think so.  but now our window....if you subscribe to the belief that there is a window still, which i dont.....is now a lot smaller and it really kills me that we should never have been here in the first place, rather we could have still had P.K and Eller and now a really good coach to work with them

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but I heard this on the radio this morning. It's about Therrien & this is the last time I want to talk about him.  It starts with, "Where there's smoke there's fire. lol

Apparently after the Philadelphia loss, Therrien went into the locker room & started berating Shaw(which he probably deserved). However the argument turned personal(who knows what was said) & Carey stood up & yelled "Enough is enough" to Therrien. The 3 player meeting with MB was held soon after & we all know the rest. 

Onwards & Upwards

2 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but I heard this on the radio this morning. It's about Therrien & this is the last time I want to talk about him.  It starts with, "Where there's smoke there's fire. lol

Apparently after the Philadelphia loss, Therrien went into the locker room & started berating Shaw(which he probably deserved). However the argument turned personal(who knows what was said) & Carey stood up & yelled "Enough is enough" to Therrien. The 3 player meeting with MB was held soon after & we all know the rest. 

Onwards & Upwards

Good to know. The details of everything that goes behind the scenes, always comes to light eventually.

7 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Onwards & Upwards

Yeah i mean it is what it is & we're all happy it happened but i have to wonder how much of an effect Carey had on the change. 

It seems VERY coincidental to me that he's suddenly back to playing lights out hockey just because of the bye week.  It makes much more sense that he was so frustrated, watching the team in front of him under perform (based on the roster) and just feeling frustrated and exasperated.  He play, especially in those last couple of games before Therrien was fired, sure looked like a guy who had "had enough."

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/montreal-canadiens-andrew-shaw-shoots-down-rumour-about-therriens-firing

Shaw on Julien

“That’s pretty awesome,” Shaw said. “Obviously, he’s had a lot of success. He’s a great coach … he’s a player’s coach. To coach 1,000 games is pretty awesome. You look at his record, too, I’m sure it’s impressive. It would be huge to get a nice two points for him on his 1,000th game.

“He likes high-intensity, quick practices,” Shaw added. “His systems are what players want to play. If you play tight in your end, he’s going to let you be creative in the offensive zone. As a player, it’s awesome to be a part of that system.

He’s positive, he’s friendly. He’s very good at speaking in both French and English. It’s very impressive.”

• H_T_L locked this topic