The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#8 Jordie Benn

HabsAlways

4 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

I suspect Beaulieu or Emelin may be part of something bigger, thus Benn coming in as one of the top 6

At this point he's simply a replacement for Pateryn's roster spot, and possibly bumps Nesterov to #7. If we give up one of those guys, then it will have to be more D coming back, otherwise it leaves us really thin.

"In Jordie Benn, we get an experienced NHL defenseman, and a player who will solidify our defensive group. While providing stability in our end, he can also contribute offensively. Greg Pateryn has been a good contributor to our team and I wish him the best of luck with the Stars' organization," said Bergevin. 

Benn, 29, played in 58 of the Stars' 62 games thus far this season. He recorded 15 points (2 goals, 13 assists), 24 penalty minutes and 113 blocked shots, while playing an average of 18:36 per game.

Benn has played a total of 302 career NHL regular season games since his debut in 2011-12. He has registered 71 points (11 goals, 60 assists), with a +7 differential and 119 penalty minutes. He added eight goals with the man advantage and two game-winning goals. The 6'2'' and 200 lbs defenseman added three assists and six penalty minutes in seven career playoff contests.

27 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

"In Jordie Benn, we get an experienced NHL defenseman, and a player who will solidify our defensive group. While providing stability in our end, he can also contribute offensively. Greg Pateryn has been a good contributor to our team and I wish him the best of luck with the Stars' organization, but his wife was a pain in the butt " said Bergevin. 

what he really meant to say

It seems like a fairly even trade. I'm not really ecstatic nor am I overly disappointed. In truth, Benn is probably a better commodity than Pateryn, and I don't care all that much about losing a 4th rounder, so the swap is decent. On the other hand, Benn is a lefty playing off-side (even if he prefers it), and there's still something sour left in the mouth when you know Bergevin didn't get full value for his own player. As they have done with numerous other youngsters in the MB/MT/Lefebvre era, Pateryn was never given much of a chance to prove himself as a NHLer, and as a result, the Habs never established any particular value for their player and then dealt him while his stock was low. That's a pretty easy way to depreciate the value of your team. Some in the media say we traded a 7th D man for a third-pairing D man, but I still wonder if Pateryn could have been a regular 3rd-pairing guy if he was given the chance. Instead, the Habs allowed his value to sink and then completely ruined it with the story about his wife and the memo to all teams saying he was on the market as a result. So in short, the trade is fine, but the GM'ing and asset management that led to the trade was awful.

13 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

He's got to be better then what we saw of Nesterov tonight.

Barberio > Pateryn > Redmond > Nesterov. Somehow we have only the last one on the roster right now. I would hope Benn is better, or we're in even more trouble, because Nesterov has been bad.

Max is The Man right now for the Canadiens, and you have to wonder how far they can go if GM Marc Bergevin doesn’t get him some offensive help before Wednesday’s 3 p.m. NHL trade deadline. While the Toronto Maple Leafs went out and got 6-foot-6 centre Brian Boyle from the Tampa Bay Lightning Monday afternoon in exchange for a conditional second-round draft pick this year, Bergevin added yet another bottom pairing defenceman when he acquired Jordie Benn in exchange for Greg Pateryn.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/in-the-habs-room-max-pacioretty-leads-by-example-claude-julien-says

This is a lateral move

Traded a D man whose wife , and probably the player too , didn't want to be here for another D Man

Doesn't IMO make the D any better

The D is old, slow, and not mobile built to the old coach's system not to the new NHL

You know a move like this reinforces the issue we are having in the minors. I think we draft ok as we are not often able to get top 3 picks so we are fairly far down the chart on draft day but we have an issue getting them ready for the NHL. I feel a major shakeup is needed down on the farm. I have no issues with Benn at least he has some NHL time and should be a good solid d man if not flashy.

4 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

really liked his game. solid not flashy at all but quite effective. this was a good move.

By all acounts we got positionally stronger with the deal.  The downside is of course age, but we're not talking about  core player here.

There is some suggesion he's capable of being a top 4 guy, although I dont think we'll see it on this roster as our 2nd pairing is probably set & I dont think Benn is the right compliment to Weber (plus he apparently prefers to play his off side on defense).