Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H_T_L

#92 Steve Ott

27 posts in this topic

Picked up for a 6th in 2018. Is this a CJ request?

Steve Ott

Center -- shoots L
Born Aug 19 1982 -- Summerside, PEI 
[34 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.00 -- Weight 189 [183 cm/86 kg]

40 minutes ago, syfdawg said:

Why?

Good question. Perhaps Bergevin is trying to show Shaw what his future will hold if he doesn't make better choices.

I'm actually quite excited to see him play,  for better or worse. He's like the most hated player in the league and caricatured as a useless goon. So it'll be interesting if he'll doom the team with penalties or actually contribute. 

Intriguing! 

12 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

Good question. Perhaps Bergevin is trying to show Shaw what his future will hold if he doesn't make better choices.

:lol:

The ghost of NHL future.  Best reason I can come up with!

Pat Hickey was sayin that because Muller was an assistant coach in SL. that Muller knew what Ott brings to the game and suggested that MB go for him. 

5 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Pat Hickey was sayin that because Muller was an assistant coach in SL. that Muller knew what Ott brings to the game and suggested that MB go for him. 

what is it that he brings to the game ?>

9 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

You'll have to ask Kirk. 

22 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Timbits. The big box. 

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

He's a good faceoff guy. 

Apparently was giving Chucky some pointers on faceoffs today at practice. Maybe get some use out of that 6th round pick after all. :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Apparently was giving Chucky some pointers on faceoffs today at practice. Maybe get some use out of that 6th round pick after all. :ph34r:

I scratch my head at the move but I also think "Muller is no fool."  We know that he was targeted specifically because of Muller.  Maybe Kirk just wanted to give his friend a job but I honestly think there's more to it than nepotism. 

We wont know until we see how he is used by Julien but hopefully it was more about bringing in a reserve player to help in the room & who will stay in the pressbox unless things get ugly in a specific playoff series. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

I scratch my head at the move but I also think "Muller is no fool."  We know that he was targeted specifically because of Muller.  Maybe Kirk just wanted to give his friend a job but I honestly think there's more to it than nepotism. 

We wont know until we see how he is used by Julien but hopefully it was more about bringing in a reserve player to help in the room & who will stay in the pressbox unless things get ugly in a specific playoff series. 

That's how I see it. Spot duty at best and when he does get in, likely  less then 6 minutes TOI. His value may indeed be in practice helping out some of our younger guys, like he did today with Chucky. We paid zip for him so whatever.

He's always a high energy guy so I think he can be useful if he stays out of the penalty box. 

On 3/3/2017 at 1:21 PM, maas_art said:

Agreed. I have confidence in Muller on this one. Let's see where this goes.

I thought he looked solid out there tonight. Funny to see Rangers fans biggest complaint tonight is Ott, it's nice to be on the other side of that for once lol

he was used properly and responded with a great game. if he is used like this it will work out well for us at least we have a fourth line that can hit and wear down the other team a bit and still retain the puck fairly well!

6 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

he was used properly and responded with a great game. if he is used like this it will work out well for us at least we have a fourth line that can hit and wear down the other team a bit and still retain the puck fairly well!

Definitely less concerned with a guy like Ott on the roster now that Julien is coach.  He was managed well last game and while I personally think we are better with more skill in the lineup, i can definitely live with him there if it means our top 2 lines are getting most of the proper minutes & matchups. 

I'd like to see the advanced stats on this guy since joining Montreal?? They can't be good. He's failing the eye test for me every game. Not really destroying the team or chemistry but his execution is borderline atrocious. 

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, FanFromAB said:

I'd like to see the advanced stats on this guy since joining Montreal?? They can't be good. He's failing the eye test for me every game. Not really destroying the team or chemistry but his execution is borderline atrocious. 

Agreed... I.m not impressed at all.... does represent a supposed physical presence which I have to say has not been that evident

Edited by Habs_Hockey_Nutz

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, FanFromAB said:

What Ott brings that I can see is 

- Great penalty killer ... i saw him make a few clears where in the past we would have struggled

- Good on faceoffs

- Intense pressure ... there were a few shifts yesterday where his forecheck kept the puck in the Sens zone and boxed them in.

Is he the most skilled guy?  Nope.    But he has a toolbox that if used properly helps you win games and especially ones in the playoffs.   Under Therrien he'd be a disaster, under Julien he's a chess piece that is used at the right time in the right place.

Now if you want to talk about King ... that's a different story.    From what little I saw of Martinesen (spelling) I'd prefer him or McCarron in the lineup over King.

Edited by HabsAlways

Hope to see him back in the lineup soon, probably at Mitchell's expense.

11 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Hope to see him back in the lineup soon, probably at Mitchell's expense.

Probably, athough it should be over King imho.