Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigTed3

Poll: Playoff Opponent

Which team would you prefer to face in the first round of the playoffs?   18 members have voted

1. 1. Which team would you prefer to face in the first round of the playoffs?

• New York Rangers
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Boston Bruins
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Tampa Bay Lightning

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 posts in this topic

There's still a lot to be decided. We might finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in our division, or in a wildcard spot, or be out of the playoffs. The odds are good that we'll be in the post-season though and our 5 most likely opponents would be the NYR if we win the division or any of Ott, Bos, Tor, or TB if we come 2nd or 3rd... which of these teams would you prefer to face if you had the choice and why?

Bruins.

Posted (edited)

Tough call for me, between NYR and Bruins.

I went with Bruins because:
- one less matchup against a Metropolitan team
- good track record for us, especially against Rask
- storyline and any tactical advantage of having the Bruins' former coach on our side
- no Kreider

Edited by RicochetII

I picked the Leafs only because it would be so much fun beating them and hearing the little Leafy fans crying their little snowflake hearts out .........:6351:

33 minutes ago, eldag said:

I picked the Leafs only because it would be so much fun beating them and hearing the little Leafy fans crying their little snowflake hearts out .........:6351:

I thought the same at first, and then I had to ask myself if I could stomach putting up with the constant media garbage multiplied by 100 around here. I decided I didn't need that kind of aggravation. :lol:

Hands down Leafs simply because they will shoot themselves in the foot and wilt under the media pressure. :4322:

The Leafs seem to have a chip over their shoulder when playing the Habs.  They try way too hard to win and make all sorts of mistakes. :6280:

I don't feel confident against the current Boston.  Those days of them being slow and heavy are over.  If the Habs face Boston tomorrow, I'll give Boston the edge.  They're scoring like crazy and playing a totally different system from the past.

Even against Rangers over a playoff series, I'll still say Rangers take it, especially if Vigneault is smart enough to play Raanta in goal instead of Lunqvist.  Everyone knows Rangers will play dirty to take Price out and get away with it again.  Ultimately Rangers have better finishing forwards.

Washington, Columbus or Penguins are basically a death sentence.  :5141:.  Habs simply don't have the size, talent or finish to compare.  

Ruins for me. 

IDC as long as we show up & hopefully win.

Of the teams listed, the one I'd be most confident against would be the Leafs. They're a talented team, but they're young and inexperienced in the playoffs, and I think we could take advantage of that.

I don't really see a clear favourite in that list, and to be honest I don't really see any clear last choice either.  I think that if the Habs play well they could beat any team on the list, while if they play poorly they could just as easily lose.  Well maybe not just as easily... I really do think that Montreal has the better shot against anybody there.

With that said, though, I picked the Leafs since it provides the best opportunities for trash talk in my neck of the woods (with Boston a close second)

4 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

I don't really see a clear favourite in that list, and to be honest I don't really see any clear last choice either.  I think that if the Habs play well they could beat any team on the list, while if they play poorly they could just as easily lose.  Well maybe not just as easily... I really do think that Montreal has the better shot against anybody there.

With that said, though, I picked the Leafs since it provides the best opportunities for trash talk in my neck of the woods (with Boston a close second)

This.  Its the first time in a long time that im really not hoping for any particular matchup. In years gone by who we met in the first round was the difference between making it to the second or not.  On that list there's absolutely no one we shouldnt be able to beat.  Doesnt mean we will, but there's really no one there we shouldnt. 

The only team in the east that really scares me tbh is Washington.  I think pittsburgh would be tough but beatable. Washington has very little in the way of holes though so Id definitely be somewhat concerned meeting them in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

3 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

An article from TSN that shows that the head-to-head match-up in a given season seems to be a pretty good prediction of what to expect out of a playoff series.  That bodes well for us if we draw New York.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/the-search-for-the-ideal-first-round-playoff-scenario-1.702066

Yeah ,,, i'm not too worried about facing the Rangers. The King is not like he's been past years and we could exploit that IMO. I'd be more worried about meeting a team that had to fight until the last game to secure their spot.They could easily ride that into a 1st round upset. 

Bruins for the entertainment value.

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:41 PM, BigTed3 said:

Of the teams listed, the one I'd be most confident against would be the Leafs. They're a talented team, but they're young and inexperienced in the playoffs, and I think we could take advantage of that.

Im the opposite . I would rather stay away from the Leafs . They are young , talented  and under dogs. they way the Leafs are playing they could upset the Habs , if either one make it to the PO's

29 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Im the opposite . I would rather stay away from the Leafs . They are young , talented  and under dogs. they way the Leafs are playing they could upset the Habs , if either one make it to the PO's

Agreed unfortunately. The Laffs are much better managed than our Habs at the moment; Lou Lamoriello VS Bergevin, no contest. Also many young players, mostly all top notch rookies who are growing with the team.

48 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Agreed unfortunately. The Laffs are much better managed than our Habs at the moment; Lou Lamoriello VS Bergevin, no contest. Also many young players, mostly all top notch rookies who are growing with the team.

Lamoriello vs. Bergevin matters towards building the team, but it plays no bearing any more. Both guys have their rosters for the playoffs now, they can't do anything to fix those any more. I will say this:

1. The Leafs have a lot of skill

2. They could beat us in a playoff series

But so too could the Sens, Bruins, Lightning, Rangers, or anyone else, just as I think we can beat any of those teams. I think the edge we'd have against Toronto is that most of their key guys haven't ever been in the post-season and it would be a steeper learning curve for them. I also like the odds of Price vs. Andersen and the odds of going against Toronto's young D corps. I'd focus on shutting down Matthews and Marner and frustrating them, and hope the rest of our team beats the rest of theirs. The Habs will have to find a way of creating more offence than they are now, but they'll have to do that against any opponent or we're done.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Lamoriello vs. Bergevin matters towards building the team, but it plays no bearing any more. Both guys have their rosters for the playoffs now, they can't do anything to fix those any more.

Agreed regarding the here & now, but I was speaking in retrospect in that regard. Still though, I feel Lamoriello is a far better GM in picking out skilled players than our current one.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0