Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigTed3

Poll: Rivals

Which division rival do you despise the most right now?    12 members have voted

1. 1. Which division rival do you despise the most right now?

• Boston Bruins
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Tampa Bay Lightning

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 posts in this topic

The Habs have long had rivalries with the Bruins and Leafs. But in recent years, they've met the Senators and Lightning in the playoffs, expanding the rivalries with those clubs as well. All four of these clubs are battling for the playoffs and could prove to be 1st or 2nd round opponents for the Canadiens. As it stands right now, who do you consider to be our most heated and hated rival?

I picked them just as you have them, Ted.

The Ruins just because we've met them in the POs so often and beaten them so many times, that it's fun to listen to their fans whine. 

The Laffs, just because I hate them.

The Sens are a newer rivalry, so, we haven't really established a hate on for them. 

TB isn't the powerhouse they once were, so the rivalry for them hasn't gotten off the ground, yet.

Any Hab fan in the GTA (Leaf Nation) will understand.

The Laffs. Forever and ever the Laffs. My headstone is gonna read "Leafs Suck". No one else comes close. 

I think this could change on a pretty regular basis, but AT THIS MOMENT, my answer is Ottawa. Historically, Toronto and Boston were the teams and in the past decade it's been the Bruins more than anyone else. There's also certainly enough hatred to go round for the newer squads as well though.

With Toronto, I find it harder for them to be "the most hated" right now because most of their core players are new. Their coach is relatively new to that franchise. And they've moved on more of a skill game, even though they still have scrubs like Martin and Boyle. And importantly, they haven't been relevant for many years, so it's been harder to maintain the rivalry. Boston has also revamped a lot of their line-up, and while they still have Marchand and Chara, they've let go of Lucic and Thornton and Ference and so on. They have a new coach, they have some younger guys, and they also haven't been competitive for the division win in a couple of years. I could easily get back on board with hating the Bruins if it came down to us vs. them in the playoffs, but to me, they're just not as annoying as the Senators are right now.

Ottawa is made up of a bunch of whiny punks right now. They spend more time yapping at the refs than any other team in the league. They have Phaneuf. They have Neil. They have Baby Ryan. And Pageau and Methot and Karlsson and Smith and so on. Those are all dirty and/or whiny players. They even have the whiniest owner in the league, not to mention the biggest inferiority complex about being in the shadows of both the Leafs and Habs. Any team that bans ticket sales to people with phone numbers outside their own local area code has got a problem. So right this moment, the Sens are the team that deserves the most hate in my opinion.

The Leafs.

I read a funny post on another forum that diehard Habs fans' BIGGEST fear is the Leafs becoming a better team on ice than the Canadiens. :4224:  Compare what has been achieved under the Marc Bergevin and Mike Babcock eras within the same time frame. :6396:

The traditional rivalry, which went into deep hibernation for decades owing to Leafs management incompetence, looks set to heat up again in coming years.

Leafs ownership finally got sick and tired of being the laughing stock of the league. I wonder when will Molson feel the same about stability in mediocrity? :rolleyes:

Boston. Always Boston.

8 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

The Leafs.

I read a funny post on another forum that diehard Habs fans' BIGGEST fear is the Leafs becoming a better team on ice than the Canadiens. :4224:  

The future looks brighter in Toronto

I might be showing my (lack of) age a bit here, but I've never really felt much for the Habs/Leafs rivalry.  Other than a few years in the 90s I haven't seen a Leafs team good enough to make the playoffs let alone be any sort of serious threat.  And even in the years where Montreal was awful too, it's hard to build up a real rivalry when you're battling hard with them for 10th in the conference.

I almost picked Ottawa, but they don't bug me as much this year as in some years past.  Had you asked me about it around the time when we played them in the playoffs (the series with the Gryba hit on Eller) they would have been a shoe-in.  I don't think I've ever disliked a sports team more than I disliked them at that time, what with their dumb annoying players and their even dumber, more annoying bug-eyed walrus coach (Mr. "Player 81").

Right now, though, I don't really have any team that stands out to me as being particularly annoying.  So because of that I went with the team that has bugged me the most for the longest amount of time, which is Boston.  It doesn't help that they have quite a few fans around here in Halifax, but what I really don't like about them is the "Big Bad Bruins" culture that just seems to surround them every single year.  From their fans to their media personalities, all you hear about is either how tough the Bruins players are or how much the other teams are soft/whiners/divers/whatever.  There have been a few Bruins players that I've still liked despite their association (Bergeron, for example) but by and large that team just irks me.

55 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

Boston. Always Boston.

I second that opinion.

I'd like to see the Leafs-Habs rivalry become more relevant again though. Ottawa and Tampa just don't draw big enough crowds for me to care, I have a strong dislike for either team but at the end of the day I think they're just boring.

3 hours ago, habs_93 said:

Boston. Always Boston.

This.  I cant imagine ever hating a team as much as i hate the ruins (although the flyers arent far behind) but I would agree that there's some definite dislike from me for the sens, leafs, TB etc. Its nice to actually see some rivalries starting up again. For a long time we didnt really have any real rivals except for the Bs. 

Part of me does feel sort of sorry for the laughs though. I mean those are some die-hard fans to have waited this long. Im a old dude and the laffs havent won since i have been alive... several years before i was born, even - that deserves a little pity. :P

14 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Any Hab fan in the GTA (Leaf Nation) will understand.

Amen to that! :wut2:

Listen to Hogtown media rave about the Laffs for the last 50 years and you would despise them too.

5 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Listen to Hogtown media rave about the Laffs for the last 50 years and you would despise them too.

:5187:

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

Nobody named Stanley though.

12 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Nobody named Stanley though.

Allen Stanley back in the day. Died in 2013.....the only time Laff fans could 'celebrate' Stanley in the last 49 years!!! :4224: