Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kinot-2

Poll, 1st Round Playoffs

1st Round Playoffs   25 members have voted

1. 1. Habs VS Rangers, Who Wins and How Many Games?

• Rangers win in 4?
    • Rangers win in 5?
    • Rangers win in 6?
    • Rangers win in 7?
    • Habs win in 4?
    • Habs win in 5?
    • Habs win in 6?
    • Habs win in 7?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

59 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

We know who we're playing, now how many games will it go and who will win?

Edited by kinot-2

I went with 7 but i fully expect Price to shorten that #.  If he's on,,, this could be a short round.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

I went with 7 but i fully expect Price to shorten that #.  If he's on,,, this could be a short round.

Yeah. I expect him to be lights out & I think we'll be up 2-0 after 2 games, lose one in their barn & win 2 more to round it out in 5. 

Im fully confident we will make the second round.  Im very curious to see how some of our supposed "playoff warriors" do.  After all, thats why bergevin got guys like Shaw, King etc right?

I think we go undefeated at home and split in New York. This may be overly optimistic Vigneault may try to throw Raanta in if Lundquist continues to struggle against us. The difference for me will be Price, our healthy roster (although Emelin's injury my impact that) and the balanced scoring we are currently enjoying. The Rags success has come from scoring goals at what may have been an unsustainable level. They look fairly ordinary. The Rags are good at turning turnovers into goals and I think wwe have a big advantage if we play tight  mistake free hockey. I also expect us to be taking the body a lot more. It will be interesting to see who Julien uses on the fourth line. This is the dream for some of our new vets. A chance to win big with the Habs. I hope they do the trick and don't think the Rangers can match up against us in a long series.

Habs in 4. :banana_dancing:

18 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Habs in 4. :banana_dancing:

Habs in 4? Are you bananas? Oh... right:6188:

I said 5, because like Habberwacky, I think we'll win the 1st 2 games, split in NY, and bring it home in the 5th game. 

I think it's a 6-game series no matter who wins, and I lean to us. As always, a 7-game sample size is heavily influenced by luck and random noise, and I'd feel a lot better if our third best adjusted 5-on-5 possession defenceman wasn't automatically given top 5-on-5 minutes, but I'm cautiously optimistic. CJ has helped a lot.

I went for Habs in 6 as well. It's going to be a close series I think, the Blueshirts are a good team.

I'm more bullish on the matchup I guess. I voted Habs in 5.

Posted (edited)

Kinda off-topic but wouldn't it be nice if the Leafs somehow managed to mess up their run for the playoffs? I've just noticed that they're playing against the Pens and Blue Jackets back-to-back, while Tampa would 'only' need a win against us tonight and then another two points against New Jersey on Sunday. The Isles, who are still in the race somehow, are facing the Devils and the Sens.

So yeah, even though TO has two home games left, they're certainly playing against stronger teams.

Edited by ChiLla

17 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Kinda off-topic but wouldn't it be nice if the Leafs somehow managed to mess up their run for the playoffs? I've just noticed that they're playing against the Pens and Blue Jackets back-to-back, while Tampa would 'only' need a win against us tonight and then another two points against New Jersey on Sunday. The Isles, who are still in the race somehow, are facing the Devils and the Sens.

So yeah, even though TO has two home games left, they're certainly playing against stronger teams.

Makes you almost wish the Habs would take the night off doesn't it??:lol:

5 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Depending upon who we rest, we may well end up taking a couple of nights off ;)

I've got a good feeling about this first round.  Let's get the brooms ready! :P

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Depending upon who we rest, we may well end up taking a couple of nights off ;)

Starting lineup up front but the D is a real mish mash. Nesterov on the 1st pairing,,,,  how's that for weak?

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Starting lineup up front but the D is a real mish mash. Nesterov on the 1st pairing,,,,  how's that for weak?

Benn and Emelin "should" be ready for next Wed., from what I've been hearing, possibly Weber too.

Edited by kinot-2

Just now, kinot-2 said:

Benn and Emelin "should" be ready for next Wed., from what I've been hearing. 

Emelin is still a question mark. Will be re evaluated Tuesday. Weber and Benn will indeed be ready. Benn may start in Detroit.

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Well, I gotta admit that I wouldn't be too upset with a loss tonight :D:D

Sorry to have to say this, but I don't think we are going to go very far in the playoffs, maybe not even past the first round. This team is just too inconsistent and hard to have any faith or confidence in, in absolute playoff terms. We have a lot of good players but the whole thing never seems to gel for very long. If CP is CP at his very best, who knows. But besides him, this team seems to lack a sparkplug that gives them a good boot in the butt when required. Like a Dale Weise.

But I don't mind being proven wrong :D

Rangers in 5

As previous poster wrote

This team is just too inconsistent

13 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Rangers in 5

As previous poster wrote

This team is just too inconsistent

Anything is possible, of course. But if you're going to put the Habs down for being inconsistent, maybe look at the Rangers as well. They're 4-5-4 in their last 13 games and down 2 to Ott going into the 3rd today. Lundqvist has been awful since returning from injury, with a save percentage well under what we got from Condon/Scrivens/Tokarski last year.

Conversely, since Julien took over, the Habs went 15-5-1 to clinch the division. They've been one of the top teams in the league over that time. They're undefeated against the Rangers this year. Our advanced metrics are superior to those of the Rangers.

I get the criticisms of the team, in that they've been far from perfect. There are still deficiencies here. But we're no longer fighting an uphill battle from our coach being overmatched by just about every team we face in the playoffs. We have not only Julien, but finally a capable assistant in Muller. We have a healthy Price playing lights out since the break. And our line-up has found some balanced scoring in the past couple of weeks. So I find it hard to see justification for the Habs "inconsistencies" being more of a deciding factor than the Rangers struggles or other points I've mentioned here.

Players I think will have a good series vs. New York:

- Price

- Petry, Weber, Markov

- Pacioretty, Danault, Gallagher, Shaw, Byron

Players I worry might struggle a little bit:

- Benn, Davidson, Beaulieu

- Plekanec, Radulov, Lehkonen, Galchenyuk

On 4/7/2017 at 9:33 AM, H_T_L said:

I thought Nesterov had a good game against Detroit.  He's a better player than what we've been seeing, so maybe he's finding his form again.  

If the Habs take care of business and several things don't go south all at the same time, they should destroy the Rangers.  They might not win all the games by lots of goals, but I see them dominating play and being hard to score against.  Because it's the playoffs, where there are no "bad" teams, I said the series would go six games -- however, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Habs took it in fewer. 

They just better protect Price this time.