Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loyalhabsfan

A little story + taking recommendations for Game 2

4 posts in this topic

I've watched all 82 this year. My entire family descended from Quebec, and my grandfather who was essentially my father figure growing up made sure I was a habs fan at a young age. I live in Maine so I'm mostly surrounded by Boston fans (more ugh). Anyway, my grandfather passed away back in 09' to lung cancer. It was always my dream as a kid to see a game with him at the Bell Centre. Although this never came true, I'm finally at a spot now in my life where I can afford to take some days off and see a playoff game. He passed down a custom, old school jersey to me with his #9 and last name "Morin" (super french, right?) on the back from his college years.

I grew up in the town of Lewiston ME. Back in WWII, several French Canadian workers came here from Quebec to work in a local mill that prepared linens for the soldiers (Bates Mill). As a direct result, Lewiston became a booming hockey town. (You may have heard of the Lewiston Maineiacs, Halak and Bernier played there). Both my brother and I quit every sport to play hockey year round before the age of 10. My grandfather brought us to every game/practice from age 6-16. For 10 years straight, I took every word of his advice and got all too familiar to him sitting in the same seat of our oversized arena. No kidding, he'd be in my driveway at 3:45 am on high school mornings to bring me to morning practices.

Even just typing this stuff out hits me right in the feels, man. I've got some pretty spectacular seats, a hotel walking distance from the rink with my brother, and my brother's Bachelor Party at a ski resort in Vermont (2-hour drive) on Saturday following the game. Should be one hell of a weekend. His signature drink was Jim Beam, so we'll be having a toast to him on Friday night during O Canada. My brother and I will be rolling into Montreal tomorrow around noon time. Staying at the downtown Marriot which seems to be walking distance from the Bell Centre. Any recommendations for lunch/bars before the game/bars after the game/strip clubs after the game/etc?

I trust you guys/gals know more than me about the city than I do.

Cheers & Go habs

I don't know the city very well, and so I can't help you there, but I just wanted to say that that's a cool story.  It's really nice that you have something like this to help you to feel so connected to your grandfather even after he's passed away.

I can't verify this for sure, but I heard this season everyone in the stands is bringing signs that say "I blame kinot" and holding them up whenever something bad happens.  The more the merrier. 

4 hours ago, loyalhabsfan said:

I've watched all 82 this year. My entire family descended from Quebec, and my grandfather who was essentially my father figure growing up made sure I was a habs fan at a young age. I live in Maine so I'm mostly surrounded by Boston fans (more ugh). Anyway, my grandfather passed away back in 09' to lung cancer. It was always my dream as a kid to see a game with him at the Bell Centre. Although this never came true, I'm finally at a spot now in my life where I can afford to take some days off and see a playoff game. He passed down a custom, old school jersey to me with his #9 and last name "Morin" (super french, right?) on the back from his college years.

I grew up in the town of Lewiston ME. Back in WWII, several French Canadian workers came here from Quebec to work in a local mill that prepared linens for the soldiers (Bates Mill). As a direct result, Lewiston became a booming hockey town. (You may have heard of the Lewiston Maineiacs, Halak and Bernier played there). Both my brother and I quit every sport to play hockey year round before the age of 10. My grandfather brought us to every game/practice from age 6-16. For 10 years straight, I took every word of his advice and got all too familiar to him sitting in the same seat of our oversized arena. No kidding, he'd be in my driveway at 3:45 am on high school mornings to bring me to morning practices.

Even just typing this stuff out hits me right in the feels, man. I've got some pretty spectacular seats, a hotel walking distance from the rink with my brother, and my brother's Bachelor Party at a ski resort in Vermont (2-hour drive) on Saturday following the game. Should be one hell of a weekend. His signature drink was Jim Beam, so we'll be having a toast to him on Friday night during O Canada. My brother and I will be rolling into Montreal tomorrow around noon time. Staying at the downtown Marriot which seems to be walking distance from the Bell Centre. Any recommendations for lunch/bars before the game/bars after the game/strip clubs after the game/etc?

I trust you guys/gals know more than me about the city than I do.

Cheers & Go habs

Nice!!