Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kinot-2

GAMEDAY Rangers @ Canadiens 7 P.M.

520 posts in this topic

Just now, southernhabfan said:

The only way I will watch is IF Nashville wins tonight (and it sure looks like they will)

The only way I'll watch is if we win. So let me know. 😄

3 minutes ago, Netcase2 said:

I don't want to start a riot but watching a Laffs vs caps game is far more entertaining. Toronto is really bringing it and Babcock has done a great job. Same goes for the Sens. 

Unfortunately you're right. The Habs Jekyll & Hyde syndrome, the lack of consistency, the lack of offence, the lack of passion and the individualism among the players has come to bite them in their collective CH's.

We played the same way in OT as we did in the 2nd period on Tues.

Just now, southernhabfan said:

WE have to admit this is NOT a good team

That's not the way I see it.  I see a bunch of very talented players who just can't seem to play a fundamentally sound game on a consistent basis.  On top of that, I see a team that is as fragile as a ninety-year old woman.  Combine those defects, and all the talent in the world won't compensate.  

They looked nervous and tentative these last two games.  Then they don't even try to score when the game is tied in the third period.  NO SHOTS in the first ten minutes?  And it only gets worse in the overtime?  Can someone explain why this is?  They're the same players that owned the Rangers in Game 3 and owned the OT in Game 2.  Same coach, too.  

No, the problems with this team are much deeper than "this is not a good team" or "the players are not that talented."  The problems are in their heads and their hearts, not in their hands or their feet.  We all saw it.....they were playing like losers.  Their effort was terrible.  Not their skill.  

And it probably doesn't help if the "curse" is real.  Once the elitists started changing the priorities of this franchise (i.e., letting a guy like Patrick Roy walk over some cut-rate coach, placing language over talent & skill, more concerned with beer sales than winning, etc.), the culture was altered.  All these things seem to add up to the same disappointing result year after year....and this for a team with more Championships than any other.  

I consider it an insult for my favorite team to play this way.  They get paid very well to play a game for a living.  They are fully aware of what hockey means to a city like Montreal, and a fan base such as this.  AND THEY STILL DON'T CARE.  Sorry, but that's insulting.  If I had been there, I would have booed loudly.  

Outshot 10-3 in OT,,,, 3 MEASLY SHOTS!!!! :5155::5155::5155:

3 minutes ago, vegasrick said:

I see a bunch of very talented players who just can't seem to play a fundamentally sound game on a consistent basis.

We must agree to disagree

Look, I'm not happy that Pacioretty's had a run of exceptionally bad shooting percentage luck, but that's what it is: bad luck. He remains one of the league's elite wingers, and if he gets run out of town because of PDO, this team is going to be stupendously bad.

in late. gotta echo the sentiment....this team just isnt good enough. people hating on patchy....its not that he isnt trying...he just isnt that good. ditto the rest of this team minus radulov and price. 

weber had a good first two games but uh...thats the subban preds just swept chicago. cool.  must be the residual weber leadership

they got my hopes up, but i guess we cant keep up the defcon 5 effort level consistently. this is returning to the mean. hopefully we clan house this offseason

Just now, habs_93 said:

Look, I'm not happy that Pacioretty's had a run of exceptionally bad shooting percentage luck, but that's what it is: bad luck. He remains one of the league's elite wingers, and if he gets run out of town because of PDO, this team is going to be stupendously bad.

not normally at odds with you my man, but ...i guess i dont need to repeat myself. not necessarily disagreeing with you i guess.....not his fault he missed his breakway. he got his shot off,didnt go in. cant ask much else. at the end of the day I just dont see that hes a real true star....great goal scorer, but not a guy who will take over a game or series to even the extent radulov has in this one..... and we arent winning anything with him as our star player imo.

better trade him for a package of goodies than resign him to a deal which ensures we keep this exact same core of not good enough players. 

1 minute ago, jeff33 said:

at the end of the day I just dont see that hes a real true star....great goal scorer, but not a guy who will take over a game or series to even the extent radulov has in this one..... and we arent winning anything with him as our star player imo.

I don't necessarily disagree with the notion that Pacioretty is unlikely to carry a team, particularly in small sample sizes. I think Pacioretty is ripe to be criticized because he's a point of focus for both us and opponents. Because this organization refuses to play young skilled players properly, he's the guy the other team can always neutralize. And despite it, his adjusted 5-on-5 rates are legit. Over large sample sizes he's legit. But any two-bit team in the league can stop one guy from scoring most of the time. I think we'd all be a lot happier about Pacioretty (particularly Max himself) if the team didn't set itself up for failure with its ridiculous obsession with "grinding" and "character".

11 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

better trade him for a package of goodies than resign him to a deal which ensures we keep this exact same core of not good enough players. 

I see what you're saying, here. I think if we're not solidly in a playoff position by next trade deadline, he has to be moved, because there's no chance this team being managed this way is going to be able to pivot with the core and stay under the cap.

This year and next are our only realistic chances, and this year's looking pretty grim.

We played a great 38 minutes. That end-of-period goal int he 2nd really tore a hole out of our mojo and we never recovered. The second half of the 3rd and OT were just horrid. It looked like we were gassed, while NY still had tons of energy, and there is no excuse for that amount of deconditioning. Pacioretty had a lot of chances on goal but he needs to finish. Period. That 3rd period break was a chance to seal victory and he failed. He's not the only one, but if MB has put this team on the backs of Pacioretty, Radulov, Weber, Galchenyuk, Markov, and Shaw, those guys need to step up.

My grades:

- Price: B+

- Weber: D

- Markov: D

- Petry: C-

- Benn: A-

- Beaulieu: D

- Emelin: D

- Pacioretty: B-

- Danault: A-

- Radulov: D

- Galchenyuk: D

- Shaw: C+

- Lehkonen: A

- Plekanec: D

- Gallagher: B+

- Byron: F

- Ott: C

- Mitchell: C+

- King: F

Pretty fair grades Ted, Galchenyuk was especially disappointing for me because I felt he turned the corner. Pacioretty getting chances is nice but he NEEDS to be a leader and cash, it's pretty frustrating and disappointing. Gallagher and Lehkonen were very impressive. 

Blame squarely on the players for squandering the entire 3rd period.

It was a bizarre transformation from the first two periods.  Either they were gassed or something unnerved their minds.

Man, they were playing scared and too cautious from the 3rd period onwards.  Trying to hold on to what lead??? Playing not to lose???

Told you beforehand momentum is with the Rangers.

No finish, once again.

Brutal loss.

10 hours ago, vegasrick said:

That's not the way I see it.  I see a bunch of very talented players who just can't seem to play a fundamentally sound game on a consistent basis.  On top of that, I see a team that is as fragile as a ninety-year old woman.  Combine those defects, and all the talent in the world won't compensate.  

They looked nervous and tentative these last two games.  Then they don't even try to score when the game is tied in the third period.  NO SHOTS in the first ten minutes?  And it only gets worse in the overtime?  Can someone explain why this is?  They're the same players that owned the Rangers in Game 3 and owned the OT in Game 2.  Same coach, too.  

No, the problems with this team are much deeper than "this is not a good team" or "the players are not that talented."  The problems are in their heads and their hearts, not in their hands or their feet.  We all saw it.....they were playing like losers.  Their effort was terrible.  Not their skill.  

And it probably doesn't help if the "curse" is real.  Once the elitists started changing the priorities of this franchise (i.e., letting a guy like Patrick Roy walk over some cut-rate coach, placing language over talent & skill, more concerned with beer sales than winning, etc.), the culture was altered.  All these things seem to add up to the same disappointing result year after year....and this for a team with more Championships than any other.  

I consider it an insult for my favorite team to play this way.  They get paid very well to play a game for a living.  They are fully aware of what hockey means to a city like Montreal, and a fan base such as this.  AND THEY STILL DON'T CARE.  Sorry, but that's insulting.  If I had been there, I would have booed loudly.  

I think you nailed it all here.

But why so tentative when you have Carey Price backstopping you? This team used to play like there was a board covering the net when CP was there..

1 hour ago, HabsRuleForever said:

WOOHOO DD gets the overtime winner! w00t

Oops wrong thread.

You know ive never banned a moderator before.  :6396: haha.

So im sort of shocked by the comments in this thead. Last i checked, it takes 4 games to win a series. We've lost 3 - and while I wholeheartedly agree our big guns sucked badly last night, its been a super close series. You can argue it shouldnt have been - we've been absolutely dominant for stretches - but it has been & now we're on the wrong side of a 3-2 deficit.  Is it insurmountable? No.  Will we come back? Maybe, maybe not. But until we've lost that 4th game I cant understand everyone saying they've "quit watching" or are "done with the team." Sounds a lot like leaf fans to me.

Over his career Price has been excellent when facing elimination & so far we havent seen the best out of him in this series.  Guys like Patches, Weber, Markov, Petry, Galchenyuk and Radu need to step up from last game - and i think the can. All along we've heard how our "depth will wear them down" if it goes 7 games - so lets find out if thats true.  The rangers have been relying heavily on their top line giving defensman-type minutes to some of those guys - will they be worn out by games 6 and 7? 

Am i hopeful? Yes. Do i think its likely? Im not sure.  I think we have a very good chance of winning in NY.  Then we get momentum back & who knows. I hate game 7s - almost as much as overtimes - but it is what it is - and my recollection is that this team, and price, have done quite well in game 7s.

Lets not throw in the towel just yet. I am pretty sure the team hasnt. 

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Lets not throw in the towel just yet. I am pretty sure the team hasnt. 

After we win game 6, everybody will quickly jump back on the bandwagon. I like our chances in a game 7 at home.

24 minutes ago, maas_art said:

- and my recollection is that this team, and price, have done quite well in game 7s.

THIS team ( 2016-17 Habs )  has never played a game 7

Their 1st will be tomorrow night

Maybe other Habs teams over the years have done well but we'll see Saturday if all this character that MB added amounts to anything

I hope they win , but I did pick rangers in 5  

Asw for Price he can only keep the team in the game and give them a chance to win , at some point we need goals

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

THIS team ( 2016-17 Habs )  has never played a game 7

Their 1st will be tomorrow night

Maybe other Habs teams over the years have done well but we'll see Saturday if all this character that MB added amounts to anything

I hope they win , but I did pick rangers in 5  

Asw for Price he can only keep the team in the game and give them a chance to win , at some point we need goals

Obviously the Rags have a big leg up on winning the series right now, but in response to the point that the 2016-17 Habs have never played a Game 7, one could just as easily point out that the same is true for the current Rangers.

Agreed on the Price point. He is not the issue. Just like last year when we were getting weaker goaltending, we still weren't getting enough offence. Poor offensive production has been an issue for a while.