The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Sign KHL D Jakub Jerabek

Noob616

16 minutes ago, maas_art said:

FWIW Barbario was playing mostly 1st pairing minutes & assignments in Colorado to end the year.  Mind you, its Colorado, so... 

Yeah that's the other thing, Barberio didn't stick here but that's because he was also undervalued here, not because he wasn't good. He's definitely better than Emelin and probably in aggregate better than Beaulieu. Barberio being waived for the Nesterov trade turned out to be a really bad move.

What I'm getting at in general is I don't see the connection here between a top pairing KHL D who plays for the Czech national team and guys like Barberio/Redmond who were picked up as cheap depth options and filled in as fringe #4/5 defenders. It's pretty reasonable to expect him to be a #4 next to Petry, and that's really all we need. Problem with the Habs right now is Markov-Weber is a good pairing, and Petry is half of a great 2nd pair, but there's no competent #4 on the left side.

Like I feel weird being the positive one here because I'm pretty negative about Habs management in general but this is low risk/medium-high reward compared to low risk low reward like Redmond et al.

1 hour ago, Noob616 said:

Yeah that's the other thing, Barberio didn't stick here but that's because he was also undervalued here, not because he wasn't good. He's definitely better than Emelin and probably in aggregate better than Beaulieu. Barberio being waived for the Nesterov trade turned out to be a really bad move.

What I'm getting at in general is I don't see the connection here between a top pairing KHL D who plays for the Czech national team and guys like Barberio/Redmond who were picked up as cheap depth options and filled in as fringe #4/5 defenders. It's pretty reasonable to expect him to be a #4 next to Petry, and that's really all we need. Problem with the Habs right now is Markov-Weber is a good pairing, and Petry is half of a great 2nd pair, but there's no competent #4 on the left side.

Like I feel weird being the positive one here because I'm pretty negative about Habs management in general but this is low risk/medium-high reward compared to low risk low reward like Redmond et al.

Yeah, i totally have no problem with this move in a vacuum.  There's never much risk (aside from Molson's money) with a move like this, if he pans out or not.  And i understand the timing - you cant really make other moves during the playoffs (i mean you could swing a deal with another team thats out, but its generally not done). But it just looks bad.  You sign a guy who will probably be a 3rd pairing guy or (at best)  a #4 - when you have huge problems with your roster & a really important guy (Rad) who will be UFA if you dont sign him soon.

With regards to your pairings, to me the hole is at #1LD  not #2LD   I dont think Markov is an 82 game + playoffs top pairing dman anymore. I think Markov-Petry is a totally fine second pairing but I think we still need that top line LD spot filled & I dont see Jerabek as the guy to do that (but i certainly could be wrong).  I think MB needs to do some serious work - not just to fill that spot, but to find a guy who complements Weber well.  Get the right guy & you will see Weber looking more like an elite defensman. Get the wrong guy & you'll get what we had for stretches last year (like when Emelin was there).   Maybe we have that guy in the system (Sergachev, Juulsen? I dont know) but it seems unlikely - at least for 1 or 2 more years.... 

4 hours ago, Noob616 said:

"Bunch of guys from the AHL" is kinda important context. Jerabek's a top pairing defender in the 2nd best league in the world, Barberio, Redmond, etc. were undervalued bottom pairing guys in the NHL/1st pairing AHL guys. 

Are we going to dump on every forward signing because Parenteau and Semin didn't work out?

NOT dumping on the signing . Sign all the guys they want .  I don't express myself well . Its probably  the assumption or the hope that he will be a # 4 d man I find difficult to grasp . BUt then I know nothing of him . If he makes it great . We thought the same of Magnus Nygren

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2017 at 7:35 PM, Regis22 said:

NOT dumping on the signing . Sign all the guys they want .  I don't express myself well . Its probably  the assumption or the hope that he will be a # 4 d man I find difficult to grasp . BUt then I know nothing of him . If he makes it great . We thought the same of Magnus Nygren

That let's you know how badly Marc Bergevin has thinned out our defensive depth.  We are in such desperate needs of NHL calibre D, we're looking to an unknown out of the KHL to fit that role.

23 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

That let's you know how badly Marc Bergevin has thinned out our defensive depth.  We are in such desperate needs of NHL calibre D, we're looking to an unknown out of the KHL to fit that role.

It tells me how poorly we've drafted D-men.(Except for Subban)

On 5/15/2017 at 9:50 AM, habs1952 said:

Haven't you heard, we're gonna trade Sergachev for him in 4 years. Geez...I thought everybody knew that. <_<

This would be funny... if it wasnt probably true.  We'll trade Sergachev for Subban and Juulsen for McDonaugh. 

• 2 weeks later...