The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: Expansion Loss

BigTed3

Which player do you think the Habs will lose in the expansion draft?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which player do you think the Habs will lose in the expansion draft?

It's not pretty much a lock as to which 3 D get protected, and Carey was already a given as the goalie. 5 forwards are also locks (Pac, AG, BG, Drouin, Danault). There are two more spots, with the advantage likely going to Shaw and Byron for getting them. I'd personally protect Hudon over either of them, but I doubt MB does. In terms of who gets chosen, I'd rank the following players in terms of likelihood right now:

1. Hudon (if unprotected, I think he fits what McPhee has said he wanted the most)

2. Byron (if they protect Hudon instead)

3. Davidson (also a younger player)

4. Plekanec (to be used as an expiring contract that they can trade at the deadline)

5. Emelin

6. Shaw (if not protected)

7. DLR

8. Carr

Would be surprised if it's not one of these 8, although I suppose Montoya would be an outside risk. I actually wouldn't be too upset to see any of these players claimed except Hudon, which is why it's frustrating that he's the most likely target.

Could be wrong but Hudon is listed as  a C or  LW .  Based on what we see today would he have a spot in the top 6 ?

Maybe MB has a deal in place with LV , I'll give you player " x " or draft pick " x " if you don't take player " y "

I still think MB screwed up with the D . He better accumulate some assets back there or we are looking at a bunch of 30 + yr olds  

27 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Could be wrong but Hudon is listed as  a C or  LW .  Based on what we see today would he have a spot in the top 6 ?

Maybe MB has a deal in place with LV , I'll give you player " x " or draft pick " x " if you don't take player " y "

I still think MB screwed up with the D . He better accumulate some assets back there or we are looking at a bunch of 30 + yr olds  

If he had a deal in place, why dump Beaulieu for a marginal pick? Agreed that he's done a really poor job with the defence. Like with his forward crew up until recently, he's loaded up on bottom-tier players but doesn't have anyone left for the top part of his line-up.

As for Hudon, I think he's simply not valued by the organization. I think it's similar to what we've seen with Subban, Galchenyuk, Eller, Beaulieu and others, where the club just doesn't like the player and wants to get rid of him. Everything speaks to Hudon not getting a fair shake here and everything points to MB mistakenly valuing Byron and Shaw over Hudon. Vegas has Gerard Gallant and they have a scout who used to be ours too. These guys know Hudon, they know Emelin and Plekanec and Markov and DLR and Carr. They're not going to make a mistake with respect to those guys. They may not know Davidson or Byron or Shaw as well, but I think they'll see Hudon as a guy who is young, getting paid minimal money, and has the potential to be a 20-25 goal 2nd line player. That's exactly what they want. They don't have much use for a player like Emelin, who won't be a contributor there when it matters and probably isn't much of a mentor to the younger guys. They might see some value in Plekanec being a good role model and then a player they can turn into a high draft pick at the trade deadline. But to me, Hudon stands out as the type of guy they'll be after. I think their goal is to stockpile high draft picks and guys with potential to be good players. Some might be risks, but if you have 30-40 guys with potential, some will pan out.

We'll have to see who Montreal loses in the draft and if Radulov re signs  but MB gave up a lot IMO to get JD

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/nhl-gms-anxiously-prepare-apos-160327392.html

In trading away Drouin, the Lightning opened up one more space on their protection list, which might mean 24-year-old centre Vladislav Namestnikov remaining in Tampa. 

"It's a part of the reason we like this trade," Yzerman said of the deal, which netted Mikhail Sergachev, a high-upside defensive prospect who is exempt from exposure to Vegas. "We were able to acquire a player that we do not have to protect and it gives us a little more clarity there

"The problem in that is you're going to lose one player no matter what right," Benning said. "So if you have five defencemen, say, and you can only protect three — so you trade one defenceman off for a draft pick or young assets and then you're going to lose another defenceman to Las Vegas and then all of a sudden, you're two D down, you know what I mean?

"So you're better off just taking your lumps, know you're going to lose a player and just move on."

While scooping up a potential star in Drouin, the Canadiens will likely lose a better asset to Vegas — perhaps Paul Byron or Charles Hudon — in addition to Sergachev and a conditional second rounder in 2018.

"We gave up a lot but I'm convinced we got back a big piece," Habs GM Marc Bergevin said

4 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

I owe myself 100 bucks!!!!!

hey byron had a career year. surely thats what we can expect forever and ever from now on right?

The logic might be LV will pick a player with experience first and we can swing a deal ie. 4th rd pick to get them to leave Hudon alone

So, in addition to losing Beaulieu for nothing, Sergachev for Drouin , the thought from the TSN panel is Hudon is gone.

MB better have some trades in the works 'cause the D is a mess now and going forward .

And the Team still doesn't have a # 1 or # 2 C

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-reveals-protection-lists-ahead-of-expansion-draft-1.782246

After wheeling and dealing ahead of the freeze, Gino Reda, Craig Button and Frank Seravalli explain why the Canadiens will most likely lose Charles Hudon to the expansion draft

So again, going through a mock draft, a couple of points to be made:

- Lots of quality 2nd-pairing defencemen out there... Schmidt, McNabb, Dumba, Scandella, De Haan, Bogosian, etc... makes it a little less likely LV would ever go after Emelin or Davidson, unless they plan to draft and trade a bunch of these other guys.

- No issue at all making it to the cap floor. If they draft any 1-2 of MAF, Ward, and Mrazek, they're putting money in goal. Vatanen, Eakin, Neal, Boedker, Perron, Bogosian, etc. are all guys who add multi-million dollar contracts and can still play. Makes it less likely they'd need Plekanec to get to floor.

So it really does make more sense for LV to go after one of our younger forwards, like Hudon, DLR, or Carr. And of those, Hudon has the biggest upside. Habs, in my view, made a huge mistake by not exposing Byron or Shaw instead. What was also a big mistake was not giving Hudon a shot the past two years to know what we have. If the kid got 50 games last year and put up 15 goals in that time, you'd know for sure you needed to protect him. Huge asset mismanagement by MB yet again. Zero sense of how to develop prospects, zero sense of how to maximize their value at the time we trade them.

There may be some interesting negotiations around these picks and I hope we can keep Hudon. I would prefer to lose salary at this point as t puts us in a more competitive position to sign and even overpay a little on some UFA's ie. lose Emelin and use cash to sign an Alzner or lose Plecky and use extra cash to sign a couple of UFA. We may have to take on some salary or offer a draft pick to entice LV, but it would b worth it. That way we can protect some of our younger players. 

If you wanted something of note back from Beaulieu, that would have to be protected too. The only other thing we could do if we didn't get an exempt player back was get a pick. Vegas can't select our 3rd round pick. I'm also guessing we couldn't get a deal done to force their hand to take a bad contract. So we got what we could for him before he was for sure taken and he fetched us more than Hudon might've.

1 hour ago, Habberwacky said:

There may be some interesting negotiations around these picks and I hope we can keep Hudon. I would prefer to lose salary at this point as t puts us in a more competitive position to sign and even overpay a little on some UFA's ie. lose Emelin and use cash to sign an Alzner or lose Plecky and use extra cash to sign a couple of UFA. We may have to take on some salary or offer a draft pick to entice LV, but it would b worth it. That way we can protect some of our younger players. 

The problem is that the Habs don't value Hudon. They don't seem to care if he gets picked. The Habs might have wanted to put a deal in place for them to choose Plekanec or Emelin as a salary dump (not to protect another player), but if they had one already, they wouldn't have dealt Beaulieu for a 3rd rounder.

IMHO, it would appear , as of today , the D is weaker than last year , pretty much the same lineup but they are all a year older  and no change with the forwards .

Yea, they added JD , but by all accounts AG is gone and we don't know whats happening with  AR , and still no # 1 or # 2 C .

Expect the unexpected

35 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The problem is that the Habs don't value Hudon. They don't seem to care if he gets picked. The Habs might have wanted to put a deal in place for them to choose Plekanec or Emelin as a salary dump (not to protect another player), but if they had one already, they wouldn't have dealt Beaulieu for a 3rd rounder.

yeah unless there is a deal with LV it is absolutely clear that they don't value Hudon because they signed him. Had they waited til after the expansion draft it would have offered minimal protection (take what you can get) because LV cannot draft more than 10 RFA/UFA's. By signing him they made it easier for him to be picked.

14 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

IMHO, it would appear , as of today , the D is weaker than last year , pretty much the same lineup but they are all a year older  and no change with the forwards .

Yea, they added JD , but by all accounts AG is gone and we don't know whats happening with  AR , and still no # 1 or # 2 C .

Expect the unexpected

In their defense, if they trade Chucky the improvement will be on D but probably going to be a bad deal anyway. I think they want to play Drouin at C

McPhee saying he plans to draft lots of D men, lots of centers, and scoring at the wings... FWIW, does that mean he might grab Davidson? Would be better than losing Hudon albeit not as good as having them take Plekanec or Emelin or DLR.

Amazing how many media outlets' mock drafts have Plekanec as the guy leaving here, possibly to be the first captain of the Knights. There also seem to be votes for Davidson, Hudon, and Emelin, but not as many Hudon votes as I thought there would be.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Amazing how many media outlets' mock drafts have Plekanec as the guy leaving here, possibly to be the first captain of the Knights. There also seem to be votes for Davidson, Hudon, and Emelin, but not as many Hudon votes as I thought there would be.

Yes ive seen that too.

I guess in some ways it makes sense though.  We've seen him day in, day out but if you only watch the habs casually you see Plekanec as a premier defensive player who was a former 70 point scorer.  He's only one year removed from 54 and 60 point seasons.  So while he was bad (offensively) last year, I could totally see McPhee and his team saying "maybe he'll bounce back but if he doesnt, he's got almost 1000 nhl games under his belt, can be a good mentor for young players and is still going to be a premiere shut down guy."

Lebrun is reporting that the two names he's heard most commonly rumored to be claimed by Vegas are Emelin and Davidson, which falls in line with McPhee saying he wants to grab as many D men as possible and use them as trade bait. Lebrun adds that Plekanec and Hudon are still in the mix though. He says Habs are not trying to make a side deal with Vegas and are content to see where the chips fall and then work from there. He further notes Habs asked about the price of acquiring Scandella via trade from Vegas but that this idea seems to have been nixed. This is consistent with Bob McKenzie now reporting that Minnesota may have a deal in place with LV to protect their D men.

9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Lebrun is reporting that the two names he's heard most commonly rumored to be claimed by Vegas are Emelin and Davidson, which falls in line with McPhee saying he wants to grab as many D men as possible and use them as trade bait. Lebrun adds that Plekanec and Hudon are still in the mix though. He says Habs are not trying to make a side deal with Vegas and are content to see where the chips fall and then work from there. He further notes Habs asked about the price of acquiring Scandella via trade from Vegas but that this idea seems to have been nixed. This is consistent with Bob McKenzie now reporting that Minnesota may have a deal in place with LV to protect their D men.

This makes perfect sense for Vegas, as both Emelin and Davidson would be serviceable Dmen. I still don't understand the Beaulieu trade though, unless there's a different trade with Buffalo in the works.

Too bad we couldn't get Scandella though, I always liked him.

Min will reportedly give up Haula and a prospect to keep their D men but apparently are still looking to trade one of their D men for a forward at the draft. So idea of Scandella or Brodin here isn't dead, just means it might cost us Galchenyuk or something else good... hard to believe we couldn't come up with a better package than Haula + prospect to entice LV to shop Scandella to us. Would we really rather give up Chucky for a D man than give up something like Danault + a mid-level prospect? Seems bizarre.

2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

This makes perfect sense for Vegas, as both Emelin and Davidson would be serviceable Dmen. I still don't understand the Beaulieu trade though, unless there's a different trade with Buffalo in the works.

Too bad we couldn't get Scandella though, I always liked him.

In this expansion draft each team was only suppose to lose one player. How did the Habs manage to lose three serviceable players and add a forward

Beaulieu , Sergachev and one that gets picked

Its possible the Habs lose three D men in all this

Journal de Quebec reporting that Vegas did NOT choose Charles Hudon (claims it is a sure thing as a source, but take it for what you will)... means it is more likely to be a D man, with Davidson the new front-runner, followed by Plekanec, Emelin, DLR, Carr...

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Journal de Quebec reporting that Vegas did NOT choose Charles Hudon (claims it is a sure thing as a source, but take it for what you will)... means it is more likely to be a D man, with Davidson the new front-runner, followed by Plekanec, Emelin, DLR, Carr...

Great news.