The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poll: Expansion Loss

BigTed3

Which player do you think the Habs will lose in the expansion draft?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which player do you think the Habs will lose in the expansion draft?

What has been reported thus far:

- Ana: Clayton Stoner chosen plus Shea Theodore as compensation for avoiding D men

- Min: Haula chosen, Alex Tuch (prospect) as compensation for avoiding D men

- Dal: rumored to be Cody Eakin going to LV

- Chi: Trevor Van Riemsdyk may be the pick or compensation for the pick; Marcus Kruger may or may not be involved as well (conflicting reports)

- Mtl: rumored to not be Hudon, reports of Emelin or Davidson being the choice surfacing now... very unconfirmed though

- Fla: apparently have asked LV to take Marchessault and/or Rielly Smith

- TB: rumored to be Garrison plus a pick/prospect as compensation for the choice

- Pit: MAF plus a pick as compensation

- Ott: rumored that Methot may be chosen and flipped in a trade

- Det: Xavier Ouellet thought to be a front-runner as the choice

- Bos: Miller the front-runner with outside shot of McQuaid or Subban

- Nas: James Neal the front-runner with possibility of him being flipped in a trade afterwards

- Buf: rumored to be William Carrier, whom Sabres agreed to make available so that LV didn't choose Ullmark

- NYI: rumored to be Kulemin with a compensatory 1st round pick and then a separate deal sending Grabovski to LV as well

- Was: Nate Schmidt rumored to be front-runner

- Clb: will give LV a 1st and prospect in exchange for taking their choice of William Karlsson or Matt Calvert

In addition, McPhee has stated he will draft UFA/RFA's from a couple of teams as burner picks because LV didn't really want anyone from their lists... teams like Ari, Van, etc. might fall into this group.

18 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Lebrun is reporting that the two names he's heard most commonly rumored to be claimed by Vegas are Emelin and Davidson, which falls in line with McPhee saying he wants to grab as many D men as possible and use them as trade bait. Lebrun adds that Plekanec and Hudon are still in the mix though. He says Habs are not trying to make a side deal with Vegas and are content to see where the chips fall and then work from there. He further notes Habs asked about the price of acquiring Scandella via trade from Vegas but that this idea seems to have been nixed. This is consistent with Bob McKenzie now reporting that Minnesota may have a deal in place with LV to protect their D men.

I could totally see a rival Gm (like Peter Chiarelli who has apparently always coveted him) asking LV to pick Emelin so they can trade for him.   If that happens I'll be quite annoyed because ive been saying for a while I think Emelin + _______  would probably be a good start in the discussions to acquire RNH. 

37 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Journal de Quebec reporting that Vegas did NOT choose Charles Hudon (claims it is a sure thing as a source, but take it for what you will)... means it is more likely to be a D man, with Davidson the new front-runner, followed by Plekanec, Emelin, DLR, Carr...

Fingers Crossed

8 hours ago, ChiLla said:

I still don't understand the Beaulieu trade though, unless there's a different trade with Buffalo in the works.

Makes you wonder.  Like we were working out a much bigger deal but couldnt get it figured out in time but we needed to move Beau so he could be protected with one of Buff's slots.   I guess we'll see if there's more MTL/Buf movements - and if yes, that was a huge leap of faith for MB to trust Botterill

As mentioned, lots of rumors Emelin is the choice... also fueled by fact that Emelin himself started "following the Las Vegas Knights" on Instagram today (when he would have been notified of the selection)... could be a coincidence but all signs pointing to Emelin being selected. Also rumors Emelin has been flipped to another yet-to-be-named team. Wonder if Tor (who were after Methot and/or another D man heavily) or Ott (if they lose Methot and need a replacement) could be those teams. Might be a reason MB wasn't keen on trading a heavy hitter if the player ended up in his own division.

Other selections coming out:

- Blue: Perron

- Leafs: Leipsic

- NYI: goaltender JF berube will be the choice, with Grabovski and other parts separate

- Det: Tomas Nozek

- LA: Brayden McNabb

- Phi: PE Bellemare

- CBJ: William Karlsson

- Van: Gaunce or Sbisa

Would assume some of the teams not announced yet will end up being D men, given what McPhee said. Selections will supposedly be announced in reverse order of finish last year, so Habs will officially be revealed 7th from end.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

As mentioned, lots of rumors Emelin is the choice... also fueled by fact that Emelin himself started "following the Las Vegas Knights" on Instagram today (when he would have been notified of the selection)... could be a coincidence but all signs pointing to Emelin being selected. Also rumors Emelin has been flipped to another yet-to-be-named team. Wonder if Tor (who were after Methot and/or another D man heavily) or Ott (if they lose Methot and need a replacement) could be those teams. Might be a reason MB wasn't keen on trading a heavy hitter if the player ended up in his own division.

Bolded part sure makes it seem legit.   Emelin only follows 105 accounts, and hasnt been active on Instagram since Februrary but logged in today in order to follow the only other team (The CH being the first) in that group.  Everyone else he follows are friends or other hockey players so i would assume this means its as good as done.

Very interested to see if he's flipped.

I mean I could see Vegas having interest - but at his age  &  only 1 year under contract it seems unlikely they would think he'd be with them for long. 

Wow I'm happy if its Emelin. Emelin is a useful player for sure, its not like we're losing nothing, but his cap hit is gone too! And we have DEPTH on D... I think... right? It seems like we're just missing high-end, young, puck moving types... Emelin checks none of those boxes

This could be good. I wonder what we can do with the extra cap space. We have room to do things if we want

21 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Wow I'm happy if its Emelin. Emelin is a useful player for sure, its not like we're losing nothing, but his cap hit is gone too! And we have DEPTH on D... I think... right? It seems like we're just missing high-end, young, puck moving types... Emelin checks none of those boxes

This could be good. I wonder what we can do with the extra cap space. We have room to do things if we want

:banana_dancing:

Definitely Emelin was in many ways the best option to lose - even Plekanec & his more expensive salary is probably more useful to us than emelin would be - but it should be noted that in the last 2 weeks we've lost 3 of our top 4 left d-men in Beau, Emelin and Sergachev.

We now have Davidson & Nesterov (RFA) as our top 2 LD.    I think its a safe bet Markov will be back but that still is very slim pickin's especially in that top D spot.  Maybe Juulsen can make the club but i highly doubt it will be in the top 4.

We have Weber, Petry, Benn (yes he shoots left but has said many times he prefers playing RD) and Redmond on the Right. 

MB has some holes to fill on our blueline.  Considering we've lost mediocre players I dont think this is a bad thing. If he replaces them with much better players then we are already in better shape but he still has to do that first.

18 minutes ago, maas_art said:

MB has some holes to fill on our blueline.  Considering we've lost mediocre players I dont think this is a bad thing. If he replaces them with much better players then we are already in better shape but he still has to do that first.

The D is one big hole . As much as we don't care if they take Emelin , and we lost Nate  and Sergachev , both Emelin and Nate were at least serviceable mediocre D men . The habs no have no one to fill  those spots yet and I don't trust MB to bring in better players

Cal: Engelland

NJ: Merrill

Was: Schmidt

SJ: Schlemko

Nesterov was told he would not be tendered an offer, so wouldn't count on him being back... left side looks like Markov (Eric Engels said Habs will sign him in next couple of days and were just waiting for ED to pass), Davidson, and Jerabek.