The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

SERGACHEV TRADED FOR DROUIN

Noob616

6 minutes ago, RyderRocks73 said:

Colorado has stated that MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Jost are their only untouchables. 

We stated we weren't trading Subban or Sergachev. So your point, while well-taken, is essentially moot!

4 minutes ago, RyderRocks73 said:

Our GM makes false promises :. All GMs make false promises? :5141:

If you have ever seen the Darryl Sutter interview, trade deadline 2010 (can't find it); he's asked if he's in the market for a top centre and he outright shakes his head "No."  Day later he acquires Olli Jokinen.  All GM's bluff and make false promises.

Just now, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

If you have ever seen the Darryl Sutter interview, trade deadline 2010 (can't find it); he's asked if he's in the market for a top centre and he outright shakes his head "No."  Day later he acquires Olli Jokinen.  All GM's bluff and make false promises.

The Subban one was a bit more misleading because he stated outright that Subban would not be traded. It was like a little assurance to the fans because rumors had been swirling like crazy. Kind of broke my trust in the guy because I really thought he believed that he needed Subban moving forward.

13 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Right but he got Jokinen so...  :rolleyes:

Was very impressed with Drouin whenever I saw him last season, but I don't know why the big contract.

Seems a bit over the top after one good / very good season at 53 points (what's that in Habspeak? 43?) in 73 games.

Could turn out alright, ... or not.

I wouldn't consider the deal an outright win on our part but i'm OK with this move,,,,,unlike the PK deal. We gave up a quality prospect for a decent top line NHL player. The 2nd rounder is irrelevant in this day and age. We dump a UFA and get it right back. Looking forward to seeing the kid on a regular basis.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Does bring up question as to why Drouin gets 6 years but Subban and Eller and Galchenyuk all got bridge deals... MB said at the time that he wouldn't give young players long-term deals and that everyone would be bridged. Clearly not the case.

MB also said he would not deal Sergachev. I agree with his decision to do it, but once again, can't believe a word MB says.

Probably the deal with Drouin was agreed to before the trade so the trade could happen.  

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

How accurate  Is this

Drouin had 49% of his points on the PP. He was 230th in the league in 5v5 scoring

According to FirstLineStats.com, that's correct. He had 24 points 5-on-5, and 26 points on the power play.

11 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I wouldn't consider the deal an outright win on our part but i'm OK with this move,,,,,unlike the PK deal. We gave up a quality prospect for a decent top line NHL player. The 2nd rounder is irrelevant in this day and age. We dump a UFA and get it right back. Looking forward to seeing the kid on a regular basis.

Lots of comparisons between trades, but the major D swaps we've made have been different:

- McDo was trading a solid prospect for an established center who was still good but already past his prime

- Subban was trading an established star for an established veteran D man who was still good but already past his prime

- Sergachev was trading a solid prospect for an established NHL player who could himself be a star

The McDo trade wasn't advisable. I didn't like it at the time. But there was the possibility McDo never panned out and thus a possibility for us to win the trade. The Drouin trade is currently a win IMO: we're getting the older player but he's still 22, so we're getting a guy through his prime years. Plus, he's already shown he can play in the NHL whereas Sergachev has not, so there's actually more risk for TB here. The Subban trade is by far the worst of the three because we gave up a guy in his prime for a guy past his prime. Unless we won a Cup this past year, there wasn't any justification for making the trade.

With the contracts that Price and Patches have, not to mention Weber's age, our window (if it's still open) is now.  As much as it pains me to get rid of yet another puck-moving defenseman, in this case I'm begrudgingly alright with it because we've kind of painted ourselves into a corner already.  Might as well go all in now, and getting a young, somewhat proven star on the rise is a solid way to do that.

I'm also not as worried about the fact that Drouin got a lot of points on the PP.  26 PP points?  Our whole team had 45 PPG last year.  Scoring help is scoring help, and if he can put up similar PP numbers again I'll take what I can get.

With all that said, we'll see how much help Drouin actually ends up being to our goal-scoring problems.  It's not that I doubt Drouin's abilities, but more that I just don't know how far we're going to be able to get with our current back end.  I think the biggest problem with Bergevin as a hockey GM is that he doesn't seem to have an appreciation for how much of a role a defense corps can play in setting up offence, and it's not just about having a big point shot.  Watching Nashville in the finals really struck that point home for me - on just about every possession, unless there was an odd-man rush, Nashville forwards sent the puck back to their D instead of trying to gain the zone themselves.  Then the D-man would do a big skating loop back into his own zone, and then as the forwards skated towards the blue line the defenseman would pass the puck to one of them, allowing all three forwards to enter the zone together with speed and with the two D-men already coming along behind them.  It was the same play over and over, but it worked over and over, because they had the talent back there to skate confidently under a bit of pressure and to be able to correctly choose where the pass should go.  How many times are we stood up at the blue line, or do we have a single forward enter the zone by himself and get rubbed out along the boards?  How many scoring chances are we giving up as a result, without our offensive forwards even getting a chance near the net?

Again, I'm not saying it was a bad idea to trade Sergachev in this case, since the player we got was a good addition and Sergachev was really our only bargaining chip big enough to land someone like Drouin.  But there's still a bit of a cloud hanging over it as we lose yet another young puck-mover.

Edit: Back on the bright-side though, I'm happy that Drouin should be a fun guy to watch.  This team could use a bit more flair/personality, and hopefully having him will make for a more enjoyable season as a fan.

21 hours ago, rocketbelifleur said:

Was very impressed with Drouin whenever I saw him last season, but I don't know why the big contract.

Seems a bit over the top after one good / very good season at 53 points (what's that in Habspeak? 43?) in 73 games.

Could turn out alright, ... or not.

6 years $33 million.  Does anyone else have any reservations about this contract?  

8 minutes ago, CANADIENS27 said:

6 years $33 million.  Does anyone else have any reservations about this contract?  

At 22 I dont. I think he'll be good value.  My concern stems from MB easily handing out long term deals to guys like Drouin and Shaw while grinding our home grown talent (PK, Galchenyuk, Eller) with bridge deals and such.   It sends a strange message to talented players who have made their way up through the system.  And it also seems completely counter-productive to the whole "We need to be patient and build through the draft" mantra - especially when he trades away all his top young drafted players. 

Galchenyuk and Drouin are extremely similar players with very similar NHL careers & production and Drouin gets a nice fat contract while Galchenyuk will probably be bridged once again if we dont trade him first.  Its very odd. 

I wasn't ok with this trade when I heard it. I've watched Sergachev before live and the guy is going to be a beast.

But then I realized a couple things:

1) When this team is winning they are all skating super fast in transition. Drouin only complements this. 

2) The main reason Pittsburgh has won cups two years in a row is solid goaltending and consistent goal scoring. If this team could score consistently they would have beat the Rangers. The main reason they lose is because of a lack of goal scoring. The team now has a an elite level producer that can drive play.

I'm ok with it now.

51 minutes ago, Concreteveins1 said:

. The team now has a an elite level producer that can drive play.

Im not ready to call JD an elite level producer.

He got 53 pts last yr , 1/2 of them on the PP .

He's coming to Montreal , where the  PP wasn't very good and with a team that had trouble scoring goals

MB still hasn't addressed the lack of a  # 1 C and the D , IMO , is a mess .

We'll see how this all plays out but for now MB paid an expensive price for JD

On 6/17/2017 at 7:04 PM, Concreteveins1 said:

I wasn't ok with this trade when I heard it. I've watched Sergachev before live and the guy is going to be a beast.

But then I realized a couple things:

1) When this team is winning they are all skating super fast in transition. Drouin only complements this. 

2) The main reason Pittsburgh has won cups two years in a row is solid goaltending and consistent goal scoring. If this team could score consistently they would have beat the Rangers. The main reason they lose is because of a lack of goal scoring. The team now has a an elite level producer that can drive play.

I'm ok with it now.

Im ok with it too - but - only if we keep AG and Radu (or replace them with equal players).   If Radu walks and/or if AG is traded for a less player or a defensman, we either move laterally, or even back, based on our players last year.  

I think as the roster stands right now (assuming Radu resigns) we are ok - even without trading for a centre - because imho at least one of AG or JD can and will play #1 centre. I do still worry about our hole at #1LD though