The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 Habs Lines

BigTed3

25 minutes ago, jwlk said:

i get AG has not played well, but basically blaming him and punishing him for ana is wrong, as a coach he needs to learn to keep his mouth closed and stop attacking AG any chance he gets, and maybe look in the mirror on why his team cant win

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/habs-ice-chips-galchenyuk-back-on-the-fourth-line~1239441

On the one hand, I think it's sad that Galchenyuk seems to be the guy who is repeatedly picked on and put on the 4th line. Pacioretty has been worse than Galchenyuk and is still in the top 6. Plekanec and Hudon and Gallagher have been just as bad on most nights. Shaw has been our worst forward many nights, last game being one of the exceptions.

On the other hand, at the very least AG will be playing with skill players this time. He's not with Mitchell and Flynn and Ott and Martinsen and so on this time around. So I have hope that the line will actually benefit from a match-up advantage and produce. The question is whether they will be given minutes to do that. Don't expect AG to produce with 8-10 minutes a game. He needs 15-17 minimum to get a fair shot.

Why don't they stick the Captain on the 4 th line

He hasn't generated any offence this year and he's not exactly a defensive machine . If I recall, the game against Colorado , when PK  fell down , the Captain didn't pick up his main on the way back , and it resulted in a goal. The then coach proceeded to chew PK out in public without the captain stepping up to offer any support to the selfish D man , who has since been traded .

maybe max doesn't like AG, it could be a possibilty, that may be why hes not defending him in any way, that would explain why they don't like putting the 2 together, before suban was traded it seemed him and max were not on good terms

5 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Why don't they stick the Captain on the 4 th line

He hasn't generated any offence this year and he's not exactly a defensive machine . If I recall, the game against Colorado , when PK  fell down , the Captain didn't pick up his main on the way back , and it resulted in a goal. The then coach proceeded to chew PK out in public without the captain stepping up to offer any support to the selfish D man , who has since been traded .

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

On the one hand, I think it's sad that Galchenyuk seems to be the guy who is repeatedly picked on and put on the 4th line. Pacioretty has been worse than Galchenyuk and is still in the top 6. Plekanec and Hudon and Gallagher have been just as bad on most nights. Shaw has been our worst forward many nights, last game being one of the exceptions.

On the other hand, at the very least AG will be playing with skill players this time. He's not with Mitchell and Flynn and Ott and Martinsen and so on this time around. So I have hope that the line will actually benefit from a match-up advantage and produce. The question is whether they will be given minutes to do that. Don't expect AG to produce with 8-10 minutes a game. He needs 15-17 minimum to get a fair shot.

AG is our new Lars Eller.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

For sure.  And they will presumably be getting 4th line matchups so it might be a decent line actually. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

For sure.  And they will presumably be getting 4th line matchups so it might be a decent line actually. 

Well if he can't produce with 4th line match ups ? I give Byron (who gets dished on) he at least skates hard no matter where he is played. If he could finish consistently he'd be a 25 goal scorer!

30 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Well if he can't produce with 4th line match ups ? I give Byron (who gets dished on) he at least skates hard no matter where he is played. If he could finish consistently he'd be a 25 goal scorer!

29 minutes ago, maas_art said:

If he could finish consistently Calgary would have never put him on waivers... ;)

He actually does finish consistently. Byron's had one of the highest shooting percentages on the team since he arrived here. He just doesn't shoot as much as a lot of other guys. He argues that he only takes high-percentage shots (as opposed to a guy like Pacioretty, who just shoots from everywhere). Two different philosophies, I'm not sure which one is better... short story is that Byron is a pretty valuable 3rd-4th line guy, but when you try to play good bottom-6 players as top-line players it doesn't necessarily translate. You just make that player look inadequate for his role (see Rene Bourque and Travis Moen and AK46) and at the same time, you have true skill guys languishing on the 4th line with no ice time and weak linemates, so they don't bust their slumps either. Recipe for disaster. You can wake a guy up with a short stint on the 4th line or a one-period benching, but if the team is going to get out of its funk, the best players need to be the best players and given the ongoing chance to do that.

On 10/23/2017 at 7:51 PM, BigTed3 said:

He actually does finish consistently. Byron's had one of the highest shooting percentages on the team since he arrived here. He just doesn't shoot as much as a lot of other guys. He argues that he only takes high-percentage shots (as opposed to a guy like Pacioretty, who just shoots from everywhere). Two different philosophies, I'm not sure which one is better... short story is that Byron is a pretty valuable 3rd-4th line guy, but when you try to play good bottom-6 players as top-line players it doesn't necessarily translate. You just make that player look inadequate for his role (see Rene Bourque and Travis Moen and AK46) and at the same time, you have true skill guys languishing on the 4th line with no ice time and weak linemates, so they don't bust their slumps either. Recipe for disaster. You can wake a guy up with a short stint on the 4th line or a one-period benching, but if the team is going to get out of its funk, the best players need to be the best players and given the ongoing chance to do that.

Well, at least when Byron shoots we don't have to retreat back down the ice to retrieve the puck. 

Galchenyuk on the 4th remains bizarre. He played another good game tonight, as did McCarron, but AG still isn't getting ice time even though he's out-playing a lot of the guys ahead of him. If he's not at center, he seems to be getting more scoring looks on the right side. Plekanec has been awful, so let's see if McCarron can handle moving onto the 3rd line. I'd also like to see if Hudon-Drouin can get some chemistry back (apparently they've played together in tournaments at the junior level before and done well). So even though Byron doesn't deserve to be on the 4th line right now, he's the odd man out. You could theoretically stay with Byron next to Drouin and let Hudon center the 3rd line, but I'm not loving Byron-Drouin thus far. And I'll once again suggest recalling Carr over using Mitchell or DLR. So...

Hudon-Drouin-Galchenyuk

Pacioretty-Danault-Shaw

Lehkonen-McCarron-Gallagher

Byron-Plekanec-Carr

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Galchenyuk on the 4th remains bizarre. He played another good game tonight, as did McCarron, but AG still isn't getting ice time even though he's out-playing a lot of the guys ahead of him. If he's not at center, he seems to be getting more scoring looks on the right side. Plekanec has been awful, so let's see if McCarron can handle moving onto the 3rd line. I'd also like to see if Hudon-Drouin can get some chemistry back (apparently they've played together in tournaments at the junior level before and done well). So even though Byron doesn't deserve to be on the 4th line right now, he's the odd man out. You could theoretically stay with Byron next to Drouin and let Hudon center the 3rd line, but I'm not loving Byron-Drouin thus far. And I'll once again suggest recalling Carr over using Mitchell or DLR. So...

Hudon-Drouin-Galchenyuk

Pacioretty-Danault-Shaw

Lehkonen-McCarron-Gallagher

Byron-Plekanec-Carr

it doesn't matter how he plays, they won there for AG only getting 10 min and getting a goal is nothing compared to over 20 min a game max gets to produce the same, pretty sure hes tied for 1st on the team in goals with 3, but that doesn't say alot, just can't see him breaking 30 goals doing 10 min a game, anyone notice tonight though, it's like he scored that goal and they benched him, they did not try to run with his potential hot hand, they buried him and played guys like shaw 19min

Now that Julien has reunited Patches with Danault, id shuffle a few more things around up front:

Lehkonen - Drouin - Galchenyuk
Pacioretty - Danault - Byron
Hudon - Plekanec - Gallagher
Mitchell - McCarron - Shaw

On the blueline I still have no idea what id do. We've got an abundance of 3rd pairing guys but almost none who are really top 4.  Maybe Schlemko is a fit but he's still be suited as a 3rd pairing guy.  Rumors are that Klefbom is in the doghouse in Edmonton. Would love to add him to our squad.  With what we've got though, i think maybe:

Mete - Weber
Davidson - Petry
Alzner - Schlemko
Benn

Habs Lines at Practice:

Lehkonen-Drouin-Galchenyuk  (yay to Chuckie moving back to 1st line & with Drouin)
Pacioretty-Danault-Shaw (Why is shaw here?)
Byron-Plekanec-Gallagher (Fine, although I prefer Hudon with Pleks)
Hudon-McCarron-Mitchell (Hudon on the 4th now??)

Mete-Weber  (only consistently good pairing)
Alzner-Petry  (Ugg)
Davidson-Benn  (Ugg)
Morrow (Ugg Ugg)

I understand that Alzner-Benn has been bad lately but Davidson-Petry has definitely looked better than Alzner-Petry    

What a mess the D is, still.  

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

Habs Lines at Practice:

Lehkonen-Drouin-Galchenyuk  (yay to Chuckie moving back to 1st line & with Drouin)
Pacioretty-Danault-Shaw (Why is shaw here?)
Byron-Plekanec-Gallagher (Fine, although I prefer Hudon with Pleks)
Hudon-McCarron-Mitchell (Hudon on the 4th now??)

Mete-Weber  (only consistently good pairing)
Alzner-Petry  (Ugg)
Davidson-Benn  (Ugg)
Morrow (Ugg Ugg)

I understand that Alzner-Benn has been bad lately but Davidson-Petry has definitely looked better than Alzner-Petry    

What a mess the D is, still.  

1. Love the first line but like most of us, I wonder how long a leash Galchenyuk will get before he gets demoted and criticized again. I'm suspicious they're doing this to showcase AG for a trade rather than because they believe in him.

2. Agreed on Shaw being the guy to demote. and Hudon deserving of staying in the top 9.

3. Davidson-Petry was infinitely better than Alzner-Petry. That said, I honestly don't believe Alzner deserves to be in the line-up at all. Benn has been much better since returning to the right side, but he too needs a better partner than Alzner.

1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

If Drouin is out. I'm hoping the it could be Lek , Chuck, Hudon the other lines stay and the 4th be DLR , Mitchel , Foose

According to Julien Drouin and Shaw are 50/50 for next game.  They had Davidson skating as a forward but i am not sure they'll go the 7 defensman route for next game if both are out. 

I think you might see Julien try AG at centre like he did in the late parts of last game.   MB is adamant AG is a winger but Julien has been somewhat vague on his thoughts on the matter. 

So a different way to look at what the lines should be... I looked at each center and which wingers gave them the best Corsi numbers:

- Drouin: 63.8% with Lehkonen-Pacioretty but close behind is Byron-Lehkonen at 63.6%

- Plekanec: 65.7% with Hudon-Lehkonen followed by Hudon-Gallagher at 57.1%

- Danault: 65.2% with Hudon-Shaw followed by 57.7% with Galchenyuk-Shaw

- Mitchell: 63.6% with Galchenyuk-Lehkonen followed by 56.5% with McCarron-Galchenyuk

That being said, most of our lines have had success possession-wise, with a few surprising exceptions:

- Galchenyuk-Drouin-Pacioretty slots in at 37.2%

- Lehkonen-Plekanec-Hemsky at 40.7%

- Byron-Danault-Shaw at 47.9% and Pacioretty-Danault-Shaw at 53.8%

So based on the above, the lines that might give us the best chance of success could be

Pacioretty-Drouin-Lehkonen (despite the questions about the MP-JD duo)

Galchenyuk-Danault-Shaw

Hudon-Plekanec-Gallagher

Byron-Mitchell-McCarron

And so while I wouldn't necessarily have come up with those myself, the numbers thus far suggest Drouin-Lehkonen is a strong duo but should be complemented by Pacioretty or Byron, whereas Danault-Shaw can also be a strong duo but should NOT be complemented by Byron or Pacioretty but rather Hudon or Galchenyuk. And Plekanec seems to be at his best playing with Hudon.

• H_T_L locked this topic