The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 Habs Lines

BigTed3

I wouldn't mind seeing Galchenuk/Druin/Hudon  I would switch to Hudon because he can finish as a goal scorer. I like Lehkonen but Druin keeps setting this kid up and he can't bury them where I think Hudon could.

Pacs/Danualt/Shaw

Lehkonen/Plekanec/Gallager

Byron/Mitchel/Froose

Up front Im ok with most of the combinations. Sure, Id like to see Hudon get some more ice time or see other guys get less but overall this is nitpicking & im mostly satisfied with Julien's roster.

On the back-end I still have no idea what we should be doing.  Mete has slipped a bit lately (understandable) and while Benn-Weber has been ok, I dont think its a great recipe for success.  Alzner has been better but still not more than a 3rd pairing guy.  Schlemko is practicing and JJ has been lighting it up in Laval. 

What a mess.  

By my assessment:

Top 4 guys:
Weber,  Petry, Mete (although he has had issues lately), 

Bottom Pairing guys:
Davidson, Benn, Alzner, Schlemko, Morrow,

Im not sure where Jerebak fits into this yet.  Is he a top 4 guy?  Is he nhl-ready?    Guys like Davidson and Schlemko can probably be a #4 next to Petry as long as the Weber pairing is good and eats the minutes its capable of but lately its been shaky.  I think if we had a true #1LD  then Mete-Petry would probably be great to be honest. 

#1LD - Weber
Mete - Petry
Schlemko/Davidson - Benn

is probably ideal with this roster.  

The blue-line is still a mess and unless either a guy (JJ?) can step up & be that #1LD we're lacking, or MB goes out & gets us a legitimate one, this problem is going to continue.  We may be able to mask it during the regular season but come playoff time its going to bite us in the back-side for sure.

2 hours ago, Noob616 said:

Drouin, Benn, Pacioretty all questionable with the flu. Time to see if Mete has what it takes to be a 1st line center.

This is such a darkly comic and hilarious sentence. And one that is, by itself, almost meaningless. The depth of its discursive meaning and the semiotic value of it is truly profound.

58 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

This is such a darkly comic and hilarious sentence. And one that is, by itself, almost meaningless. The depth of its discursive meaning and the semiotic value of it is truly profound.

I think it all started when we traded Subban and Weber for pure simulacra. 

16 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

I think it all started when we traded Subban and Weber for pure simulacra. 

"Second Intermission Taxis, Individualistic Plays, and Bargain Bins: Toward a phenomenology of the post-lockout Montreal Canadiens"

I think I just found my thesis.

9 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

"Second Intermission Taxis, Individualistic Plays, and Bargain Bins: Toward a phenomenology of the post-lockout Montreal Canadiens"

I'm getting a headache .......        :4845:

4 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Weber isn't the issue IMO - its his supporting cast - or lack of .

Then MB decided to get rid of EVERY D man left except for Petry - and he got a bunch of 5 , 6 , 7 or not even NHL D men to fill the D this year

The D is awful.

- Weber is past his prime. He's a good defenceman but I'm convinced he's not cut out to be a #1 defenceman any more. He is a great PP asset and he's good at the offensive blue line at keeping pucks in, but he's slow and I haven't loved his defensive zone coverage. A lot of times, he skates back way too deep into his own crease and he plays "zone" more than anything. He's not that great at getting on loose pucks either. So lots of good thing and still very useful, but not anywhere close to Subban and not mobile enough for what you need in your #1 defenceman if you want to be a contender. If you're using Weber as your de facto #1 then your #2, 3, and 4 guys better be really mobile and great puck movers, and we simply don't have that.

- Petry also looks worse this year. he was really good for us the past two years, but he's struggled mightily this season, in part because he's spent a lot of time with Alzner and in part because he just looks worse himself.

- Mete is maybe the brightest spot for me. Mobile, great puck control, good offensive instincts... he needs a little bit more experience, and I've noticed he's cut down a bit on his pinching in since he got demoted off the top pairing, so I'm wondering if his confidence has taken a hit, but I think we could solve a lot of this by pairing Mete and Petry together on the 2nd pairing. Petry provides some experience, Mete provides Petry with a mobile, puck-moving partner.

- Benn is a serviceable #6 defenceman. Morrow is a #7. Davidson is a #6-7. Alzner is not qualified to play in the NHL any longer. He's almost as bad as Douglass Murray was. No skating. No puck skill. And really, not very good defensively either. He is constantly turning the puck over in his own zone and blowing coverage. The Habs may as well get rid of Hemsky and Alzner to go along with Streit, because Marc Bergevin's off-season was an utter disaster.

- Schlemko is just a giant question mark at this point.

- We may as well recall Jerabek, because he can't be worse than Morrow, Davidson, or Alzner to be frank.

So what we potentially have is

*** - Weber

Mete-Petry

Jerabek-Benn

however, that 1st pairing LHD needs to be a true mobile, puck-moving #1 D now, not just a complement to Weber. Right now, I think you can still argue Weber and Petry are a #2-3 in some order. Mete can be a #4. But there is a glaring hole at the top, a need for Jerabek or Schlemko to step into the #5 role, and an absolute must is getting Alzner out of the line-up and off the team, because he is having a negative impact on us.

41 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The D is awful.

- Weber is past his prime. He's a good defenceman but I'm convinced he's not cut out to be a #1 defenceman any more. He is a great PP asset and he's good at the offensive blue line at keeping pucks in, but he's slow and I haven't loved his defensive zone coverage. A lot of times, he skates back way too deep into his own crease and he plays "zone" more than anything. He's not that great at getting on loose pucks either. So lots of good thing and still very useful, but not anywhere close to Subban and not mobile enough for what you need in your #1 defenceman if you want to be a contender. If you're using Weber as your de facto #1 then your #2, 3, and 4 guys better be really mobile and great puck movers, and we simply don't have that.

- Petry also looks worse this year. he was really good for us the past two years, but he's struggled mightily this season, in part because he's spent a lot of time with Alzner and in part because he just looks worse himself.

- Mete is maybe the brightest spot for me. Mobile, great puck control, good offensive instincts... he needs a little bit more experience, and I've noticed he's cut down a bit on his pinching in since he got demoted off the top pairing, so I'm wondering if his confidence has taken a hit, but I think we could solve a lot of this by pairing Mete and Petry together on the 2nd pairing. Petry provides some experience, Mete provides Petry with a mobile, puck-moving partner.

- Benn is a serviceable #6 defenceman. Morrow is a #7. Davidson is a #6-7. Alzner is not qualified to play in the NHL any longer. He's almost as bad as Douglass Murray was. No skating. No puck skill. And really, not very good defensively either. He is constantly turning the puck over in his own zone and blowing coverage. The Habs may as well get rid of Hemsky and Alzner to go along with Streit, because Marc Bergevin's off-season was an utter disaster.

- Schlemko is just a giant question mark at this point.

- We may as well recall Jerabek, because he can't be worse than Morrow, Davidson, or Alzner to be frank.

*** - Weber

Mete-Petry

Jerabek-Benn

however, that 1st pairing LHD needs to be a true mobile, puck-moving #1 D now, not just a complement to Weber. Right now, I think you can still argue Weber and Petry are a #2-3 in some order. Mete can be a #4. But there is a glaring hole at the top, a need for Jerabek or Schlemko to step into the #5 role, and an absolute must is getting Alzner out of the line-up and off the team, because he is having a negative impact on us.

It's a sad, sad situation... and it's getting more and more absurd - Elton john

IMHO Mete was and still is the best d-man on the team, if you consider he is a 19 year old rookie... the most mobile, quick thinking d-man... even able to play at forward when asked... and IMHO, he did everything he could to boost Weber's effectiveness... yet now finds himself on the third pairing.

Schlemko is still an unknown at this time... but the so-called depth on defense is all wrong with the wrong players representing that depth... to me, Alzner, Morrow, Davidson and Benn are all depth d-men... period... Could others like Lernout and Jerabek be any worse... one hopes otherwise, and IMHO they were better in training camp.

I said the Drouin at #1 center experiment would fail... and IMHO it has. He is worse than Galchenyuk ever was at center or defensively... could Holland be any worse one has to wonder? Or Hudon... or even Plekanec?

I am not impressed with management... including Julien.

It truly is a sad, sad situation...

11 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

*** - Weber

Mete-Petry

Jerabek-Benn

Bang on the money. 

I would say we have:

#1_________ (nobody)
#2 Weber
#3 Petry
#4 Mete
#5 Schlemko
#6 Benn
#7 Morrow

In contrast, we could have:
#1 Subban
#2 Sergachev (although in fairness, i do think Drouin was worth the loss)
#3 Petry
#4 Markov
#5 Mete/Beaulieu
#6 Benn

Thats a darn sight better and with no holes (right now our hole is in the most important position too!)  And I agree about Weber, even though I still like him and he's the best we've currently got.   Defensive defensmen always lose a huge step (most just fall right off a cliff one year) so for Weber to slowly start declining shows he's got great positioning but boy do we need to think seriously about getting out from under that contract.  I would almost guarantee you that a team like Edmonton would pay handsomely for him (Klefbom or Nurse + RNH + Pick maybe...) and they are in as much of a need for a shakeup as we are right now. 

10 hours ago, Regis22 said:

30 yrs old on his 7 th NHL team

That actually doesnt mean a lot.  He's a #4-6 dman depening upon where a team needs him.  Those sorts of guys (like 3rd line wingers) are often throw ins in trades or casualties of cap management.   He's still a good player (or at least was last time saw him) but we cant expect him to play higher up the lineup that #4 at the very highest (ideally 3rd pairing). When MB said he might play next to Weber I think he's delusional. 

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

That actually doesnt mean a lot.  He's a #4-6 dman depening upon where a team needs him. 

Montreal Canadiens already have 7 , # 4 to # 6 D men

The fact he's 30 yrs old and on his 7 th team means don't expect him to come in and be the savior

2 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Montreal Canadiens already have 7 , # 4 to # 6 D men

The fact he's 30 yrs old and on his 7 th team means don't expect him to come in and be the savior

Lol, well i dont think its quite that dire. We have a couple of guys who are legit #2-3  we just dont have a true #1 and more and we dont have a great option for #4 either.  But yeah, he should be an upgrade on guys like Morrow, Alzner and Davidson but not much more than  that.   

I'm wondering out loud, but if we were to release the bottom half of our defence, how many of them would find jobs in the NHL?

- I think Benn would find work as a 3rd pairing guy somewhere

- Davidson and Morrow might get PTO's at camp or get two-way contracts and move up and down between the AHL and NHL (like a Zach Redmond for us last year)

- I think someone would give Alzner a job, but not on his current contract. I think he'd be looking at a 1 to 1.5M base salary to stay in the NHL.

16 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I'm wondering out loud, but if we were to release the bottom half of our defence, how many of them would find jobs in the NHL?

- I think Benn would find work as a 3rd pairing guy somewhere

- Davidson and Morrow might get PTO's at camp or get two-way contracts and move up and down between the AHL and NHL (like a Zach Redmond for us last year)

- I think someone would give Alzner a job, but not on his current contract. I think he'd be looking at a 1 to 1.5M base salary to stay in the NHL.

Yeah i do think all of them would find homes. I actually think that as bad as Alzner has been you may even be able to trade him (he did get other similar offers to ours after all) but you would get very little in return (and more importantly, MB would have to admit a huge mistake).

The problem, to me, isnt that any of them are not-Nhl quality, its that we have so many of these fringe blueliners on one roster.  Heck, Nashville has arguably the best defense in the league and Yannick Weber and Emelin are both regulars.   Add OEL or something to our blueline & everyone shifts down & looks better.  We just have a huge hole at the top and way too many at the bottom. 

On 11/18/2017 at 2:59 PM, habs_93 said:

I think I am unironically going to write a term paper about how the Habs traded for Weber and Drouin as simulacra of a #1D and #1C.

RDS (and a lot of other media) talking about how Jonathan Drouin is perhaps better-suited to playing the wing. Julien says he wants to be patient and give him a chance there, which is odd, because Galchenyuk wasn't given that same leeway. But nevertheless, the problem becomes that Drouin moving to wing really weakens the middle of the ice, simply because we come back to where we were this off-season with no top 6 centers. If Drouin can't play center also means that MB probably made a bad trade when he dealt Sergachev. Again, as I've said before, the actual trade in isolation was fine: good player for good player. BUT Bergevin had two holes to fill this off-season: top 6 center and top 4 left-handed puck-moving defenceman. It's fine to deal one asset to fill another need. But what's not okay is dealing from an area of need to fill an area where you already have assets. Dealing a LHD for a LW would be a short-sighted move UNLESS it was coupled with another deal to flip a winger for a center or LHD. So for me, if JD moves to wing and AG doesn't move to center to replace him, then MB almost has to make another trade to find a center, and the player he deals almost has to be Pacioretty to get a good enough center to make things work.

• H_T_L locked this topic