The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 Habs Lines

BigTed3

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

We might as well shake it up and, like... use Hudon at center. He's played there before, yes?

yes. Ive been saying for a while Id like to use him there.  The problem is that ideally he'd be your #2 but with this group i think you'd sort of have to use him at #1.  

Id certainly not be opposed to trying something like:

Drouin-Hudon-Galchnyuk
Pacioretty-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-Shaw-Lehkonen
Deslauriers-Plekanec-Carr (Scherbak on this line once healthy)

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

yes. Ive been saying for a while Id like to use him there.  The problem is that ideally he'd be your #2 but with this group i think you'd sort of have to use him at #1.  

Id certainly not be opposed to trying something like:

Drouin-Hudon-Galchnyuk
Pacioretty-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-Shaw-Lehkonen
Deslauriers-Plekanec-Carr (Scherbak on this line once healthy)

Scherbak is healthy and had a great game in Laval when he came back...

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Scherbak is healthy and had a great game in Laval when he came back...

Right but hte team hasnt called him up yet so i thought perhaps that was a conditioning thing (ie despite the game, thinking he may not be quite up to NHl speed yet).

To keep him out of the lineup over Froese or Deslauriers for any other reason would be madness. 

Scherbak now has 6 points for Laval in under 3 games played since his return from injury... with our issues with offence, there is zero reason for us to continue to use Froese. We should be calling up Scherbak and inserting him in the line-up. When Lehkone's back, you sit Deslauriers too and suddenly you have 4 lines that can create offence.

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Scherbak now has 6 points for Laval in under 3 games played since his return from injury... with our issues with offence, there is zero reason for us to continue to use Froese. We should be calling up Scherbak and inserting him in the line-up. When Lehkone's back, you sit Deslauriers too and suddenly you have 4 lines that can create offence.

But he's a fourth liner scoring goals. Maybe when Lehkonen is back Pacioretty should sit. :D

We are in a good spot as far as creating a healthy competition for jobs on this team and the way some of our top players are not performing that can only be good going forward, One consistent problem across the top lines is our lack of fight along the boards to the point where our fourth line looks like the only line that knows how to check. If we want to protect Lehkonen we can always move Carr up and give him some fourth line minutes until he is back in shape. Patches and Drouin have both been hard to watch lately and Galchenyuk has been a little better,

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I'd be happy to move Carr up the line-up...

As for offence, I really believe the Habs need to look at moving AG back to center. Defensive lacunes? Yes. But he generates so much more offence there too.

IMO, if that was done, then you'd upset the chemistry of the 4th line, and whatever line Carr was assigned to. Every member of the 4th line wants to stay, and will do whatever they can to do so (and also IMO, they've done very good there). If Carr was moved up, then who moves down? Once a line finds chemistry together, then would you really take a chance on upsetting it? 

JM2C

4 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

IMO, if that was done, then you'd upset the chemistry of the 4th line, and whatever line Carr was assigned to. Every member of the 4th line wants to stay, and will do whatever they can to do so (and also IMO, they've done very good there). If Carr was moved up, then who moves down? Once a line finds chemistry together, then would you really take a chance on upsetting it? 

JM2C

Yes, because the point of coaching is not to have your 4th line doing well and your top 3 lines struggling. Once Lehkonen is back and if Scherbak gets recalled, Froese and Deslauriers don't even stay in the line-up if I'm coaching. I'd have something to the effect of what I posted above, which was

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Hudon-Drouin-Carr

Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw

Byron-McCarron-Scherbak

substitute Plekanec in for McCarron if you prefer. But I'd rather go with 4 skill lines. You have energy guys already with Gallagher, Shaw, Hudon, and Carr, so I don't see a need for energy guys without skill to go along. M2C.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Yes, because the point of coaching is not to have your 4th line doing well and your top 3 lines struggling. Once Lehkonen is back and if Scherbak gets recalled, Froese and Deslauriers don't even stay in the line-up if I'm coaching. I'd have something to the effect of what I posted above, which was

Hudon-Drouin-Carr

Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw

Byron-McCarron-Scherbak

substitute Plekanec in for McCarron if you prefer. But I'd rather go with 4 skill lines. You have energy guys already with Gallagher, Shaw, Hudon, and Carr, so I don't see a need for energy guys without skill to go along. M2C.

I hope the 1st bold part is sarcasm. :P

If I were the coach, I wouldn't care who was doing the heavy lifting, I'd use them. If the $2 mil. line gets the job done instead of the $10 mil. line, then I'd use them whenever I could. It just might give a kick in the butt to those who need it. 

I used to be a huge Mac fan,,, but not anymore. I think I've seen enough of him. 

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Hudon-Drouin-Carr

Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw

Byron-McCarron-Scherbak

Hmmm....one minute you're complaining the 4th line isn't scoring and now you're complaining they're being rewarded for scoring. You must be a politician in your day job.:lol:

9 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Hmmm....one minute you're complaining the 4th line isn't scoring and now you're complaining they're being rewarded for scoring. You must be a politician in your day job.:lol:

What I've said is that the 4th line (with Carr) has scored well for a 4th line. But they're not players who are going to sustainably score if used in the top 9. And other than Carr, I don't see them being able to produce long-term on the 4th lone either. As I've said Deslauriers, for example, has benefited from a high PDO but has bad possession numbers. Those things suggest he's not going to have success in the long run. The 4th line before Carr was awful. With Carr, they've produced goals (over a short-term period) but it's simply not going to last and they shouldn't be promoted a la Dale Weise based on a a two-week stretch.

When we get back from the break, this is what I'd like to see:

Hudon-Drouin-Lehkonen (Hudon-Drouin is one thing we haven't tried but the two players have done well together in prior tournaments)

Scherbak-Galchenyuk-Gallagher (get Scherbak back up here, give him a shot with two guys who have always done well together)

Pacioretty-Danault-Carr (give Pacioretty the RWer who drives the net and still has finish)

Byron-Plekanec-Shaw

Deslauriers

And if Weber is ready to go and when Mete is (hopefully) back:

Mete-Petry

Jerabek-Weber

Schlemko-Taormina

Benn

There's no room for Morrow and Alzner on this team. They're simply not good enough defensively (and in the latter's case, offensively too) to be in the NHL.

Don't take this personally, but those lines aren't very good  .

We can juggle the lines all we want and its still a mess.

Get a real # 1 C then sort things out . Too many guys are being put in positions where they are way over their head

Time to start the tank, go for this guy

http://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/meet-swedish-defenceman-rasmus-dahlin-the-17-year-old-scouts-say-will-be-better-than-erik-karlsson

• 3 weeks later...

Habs Lines at practice today:

Pacioretty – Danault – Lehkonen
Byron – Plekanec – Gallagher
Galchenyuk – Drouin – Hudon
Deslauriers/Carr – De la Rose/Froese – Shaw
Hemsky

Alzner – Petry
Benn – Jerabek
Mete – Schlemko
Morrow

No sign of Weber...

38 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Habs Lines at practice today:

Pacioretty – Danault – Lehkonen
Byron – Plekanec – Gallagher
Galchenyuk – Drouin – Hudon
Deslauriers/Carr – De la Rose/Froese – Shaw
Hemsky

Alzner – Petry
Benn – Jerabek
Mete – Schlemko
Morrow

No sign of Weber...

Makes you wonder if he'll even be back this year.    I am really curious what the issue was & if playing through it (although "tough") made it worse in the long run.

As for the lines - more of the same.   I like adding Hudon to chuck and drouin but if everyone admits it may be time to try Drouin back at wing,  chuck can play either wing, and Hudon is now playing the one forward position he hasnt in the past... wouldnt it be worth trying   Drouin - Hudon - Chuck  ?  I mean Hudon looked pretty awesome as a centre for long stretches in the AHL and neither of his linemates are apparent "cut out" for being centres so...

• H_T_L locked this topic