The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 Habs Lines

BigTed3

13 hours ago, Regis22 said:

I thought it was weak last year and I think it's worse this year ( so far )

It was slow and not very mobile last year and now everyone's a year older and slower

yeah I agree but I also think that just one piece away from actually being pretty good. Getting a D to play with Weber pushes everyone down... but we will still be old and slow to some extent

28 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

We need to turn some LWers into RWers. Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Lehkonen, Byron, Hudon... All lefties.

I think if Chucky doesn't move to center, he should move to RW. I think he will be deadly coming off his off wing 

3 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

We need some Centres and D men

yes... :/

28 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

We need to turn some LWers into RWers. Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Lehkonen, Byron, Hudon... All lefties.

Assuming we resign Radu, we will have Radulov, Gallagher, Shaw and Mitchell at RW.  Im not sure we need any of the above to be converted to RW.  Our wings seem pretty well stocked either way. Its down the middle we have trouble.

I am pretty sure Drouin will at least start the year at centre.  

33 minutes ago, habsisme said:

david schlemko for 2019 5th round pick 

I'm tired of these depth guys, we have enough! 

Well, he's not a bad 3rd pairing guy & we do need some bodies on the left side. 

The price is definitely not bad.  But yes, doesnt address a "major" need right now.

im surprised Vegas picked him up & then flipped him for such a small return. There must have been like nothing of value exposed with the sharks...

25 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Well, he's not a bad 3rd pairing guy & we do need some bodies on the left side. 
The price is definitely not bad.  But yes, doesnt address a "major" need right now.

You're not gonna see that one probably until after free agency hits, unless Bergevin has a big trade he's announcing tomorrow. But I think he's keen on adding a bigger name to pair with Weber or Petry and a 1/2 C. 

1 minute ago, RyderRocks73 said:

You're not gonna see that one probably until after free agency hits, unless Bergevin has a big trade he's announcing tomorrow. But I think he's keen on adding a bigger name to pair with Weber or Petry and a 1/2 C. 

You think he's going to try to fill those pieces via UFA though? 

Just now, maas_art said:

You think he's going to try to fill those pieces via UFA though? 

I don't like any scenario involving a trade to get those guys because it spells out Galchenyuk. And if it's for a 1C, then it definitely isn't getting done through FA, agreed.

I'd be interested in Alzner. Hanzal's available but I think the better option would be to rotate 2C between Plekanec and Danault or possibly Hudon gets a shot. There's lots of talent on those top two lines to shelter him. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Assuming we resign Radu, we will have Radulov, Gallagher, Shaw and Mitchell at RW.  Im not sure we need any of the above to be converted to RW.  Our wings seem pretty well stocked either way. Its down the middle we have trouble.

I am pretty sure Drouin will at least start the year at centre.  

I know Chucky played 1 year only at center in junior. How much did Drouin play center when he was young? Tampa actually had plenty of centers. He also did say he's played all over and wherever CJ wanted him he would play. Maybe Drouin could be a center , would love to see him with Chucky. 3 on 3 together PP ! Could be fun to watch!

MB announced today that he didn't think Drouin would be ready to play center. So there's that. It's the right decision, if you don't think Chucky's ready... hard to imagine a guy who is younger with less experience and just as bad defensively would be considered. But it leaves a giant void down the middle, unless they're prepared to put AG back there. Rumors are that Habs want multiple pieces but primarily a D man to trade Chucky. But how do you do that and still have no top 6 centers? As it stands, it looks like MB is prepared to line up

Pacioretty-Danault-Drouin

Lehkonen-Shaw/Plekanec-Gallagher

Yikes!

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I know Chucky played 1 year only at center in junior. How much did Drouin play center when he was young? Tampa actually had plenty of centers. He also did say he's played all over and wherever CJ wanted him he would play. Maybe Drouin could be a center , would love to see him with Chucky. 3 on 3 together PP ! Could be fun to watch!

He didn't at all, really. MacKinnon had first line duties. Maybe insomuch as coaches like to change up lines from time to time. But he was a winger every time I went to see him with the Mooseheads.

so as it stands... sort of :5141:

What do you think about this as your 4th line... Martinsen - Mitchell/De La Rose - McCarron

3rd line... Byron - Danault - Shaw

2nd line... Lehkonen - Plekanec - Gallagher

1st... Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Drouin

Hudon, Carr

Markov-Weber

Jerabek, Davidson, Schlemko - Petry

Jerabek, Davidson, Schlemko - Benn

Price, Montoya

I'd take a shot at trading Galchenyuk and a pick (we have 2 2nd and 3rd rounders in Chicago) for one of the young, locked up centres in Florida. They are absolutely stacked at centre with Trochek, Barkov, Huberdeau and Bjugstad.

Galchenyuk (as a winger) would compliment any of those guys and this team needs a centre. I would prefer Bjugstad as he would probably be a straight up trade because of the year he had last year and he gives much needed size down the middle to the Habs.

With Bjugstad, Plekanec/Danualt and McCarron/Mitchell I think that is certainly an upgrade down the middle. Then re-sign Radulov and you've got a pretty solid forward group to compete in the division.

And the defence, IMO, is basically the same as last year but a slight upgrade in puck movement. Schlemko and Jerabek are faster and a better puck movers then Emelin and we know that the right side is set with some pretty strong players slotting in at their pairing. Davidson outplayed Beaulieu at the end of the year. If this team can get Markov at a cheap deal for both term and cost it's a no brainer.

Marco Scandella would look great with Weber for sure but it makes more sense that you either keep Galchenyuk on the team to add to an already nice looking forward group or trade him for the most glaring need which is a centre.

Jerabek/Markov - Weber

Shlemko - Petry

Davidson - Benn

Redmond, Lernout

1 hour ago, Concreteveins1 said:

I would prefer Bjugstad as he would probably be a straight up trade...

With Bjugstad, Plekanec/Danualt and McCarron/Mitchell I think that is certainly an upgrade down the middle.

Bjugstad is a bottom six player given too much ice time, as shown by his hideous 5-on-5 primary point production and shot generation:

RrlkQeg.png

If the goal is to "get that big #1 centre", playing Bjugstad 20 minutes a night would certainly be a way to do it—with our lottery pick, we could potentially draft him.

I've often wondered if it makes sense to roll many different line combinations for different scenarios rather than have 4-set lines and a blender for when things get bad. For instance, would having 6-7 line combinations make sense? Maybe there are "shutdown" trios, or trios you put together when playing from behind, etc. I mean, it might not seem much different than a blender, but there would obviously be more planning involved. It could also provide greater opportunities to younger players. For instance, if Montreal holds a multi-goal lead, then perhaps CJ changes things up to give Lehkonen, or Hudon, or someone else more ice time and offensive zone starts.

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I've often wondered if it makes sense to roll many different line combinations for different scenarios rather than have 4-set lines and a blender for when things get bad. For instance, would having 6-7 line combinations make sense? Maybe there are "shutdown" trios, or trios you put together when playing from behind, etc. I mean, it might not seem much different than a blender, but there would obviously be more planning involved. It could also provide greater opportunities to younger players. For instance, if Montreal holds a multi-goal lead, then perhaps CJ changes things up to give Lehkonen, or Hudon, or someone else more ice time and offensive zone starts.

Innovative thinking doesn't belong in hockey! 

Last summer, when MT was mulling things over, someone asked him if he'd consider playing Weber and Petry together.  I think they even played a few pre-season games on the same pairing but were quickly broken up by season's start.

Fast forward a year - we still dont have a top LD and it seems like the only way we can get one is to trade Alex Galchenyuk.  So what if we re-visit Petry-Weber?  I know in today's NHL coaches seem admant against playing guys on their off-side but in the past it happened all the time. Petry is exactly the sort of puck moving, fast defensman that would look great next to Weber.  Surely one of them could switch sides?

Our second pairing would be fine with Benn playing the side he prefers.  Third, either Redmond (natural RD) or one of the other guys (all LD) switches to RD.

Petry - Weber
Markov - Benn
Schlemko - Redmond
Davidson -- Jerabek  

Im sure it probably wont happen but Id really be curious to see if Petry - Weber would be successful now that we have a coach who actually has a system. 

On 6/26/2017 at 8:46 AM, maas_art said:

Last summer, when MT was mulling things over, someone asked him if he'd consider playing Weber and Petry together.  I think they even played a few pre-season games on the same pairing but were quickly broken up by season's start.

Fast forward a year - we still dont have a top LD and it seems like the only way we can get one is to trade Alex Galchenyuk.  So what if we re-visit Petry-Weber?  I know in today's NHL coaches seem admant against playing guys on their off-side but in the past it happened all the time. Petry is exactly the sort of puck moving, fast defensman that would look great next to Weber.  Surely one of them could switch sides?

Our second pairing would be fine with Benn playing the side he prefers.  Third, either Redmond (natural RD) or one of the other guys (all LD) switches to RD.

Petry - Weber
Markov - Benn
Schlemko - Redmond
Davidson -- Jerabek  

Im sure it probably wont happen but Id really be curious to see if Petry - Weber would be successful now that we have a coach who actually has a system. 

Seems like a good idea to me

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:46 AM, maas_art said:

Petry - Weber
Markov - Benn
Schlemko - Redmond
Davidson -- Jerabek  

IMO , and I know that is what MB assembled , but that D is weak , really weak

Shattenkirk Weber

Markov Petry

Schlemko Benn

Third pairing's kinda slow. We'd have to pay Shattenkirk dollars if he's even interested and if MB's even interested. Then he'd also play his off side. I know we're looking more critically at Alzner, but Shattenkirk is the more appealing option to me right now.

• H_T_L locked this topic