The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 Habs Lines

BigTed3

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

I still think, even losing Rad, we have the right group upfront to make things happen, but we have to use them effectively.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher   It was a top flight first line a few years ago.  Why not now? 
Lehkonen - Drouin - Hemsky      I dont know if Ales' body can still handle top 6 minutes but he still has skills. 
Byron - Danault - Shaw     Great 3rd line. 'nuff said
Hudon - Plekanec - McCarron     A very versatile line.  Obviously Pleks is hugely overpaid but who is going to take him?

The lines didn't work last year

They added 3 players . A rookie  ( Hudon ) , a veteran with a busted hip( Hemsky ) and young gun ( Drouin )

Still no # 1 C or # 2 C . Lots of things have to go right and the D is bad IMO. The D is a bunch of slow guys

HABS LINES

HAB FAN " How many Hab fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Another HAB FAN " We don't ..... we just talk about how good the old one was!"

Cha CHINNNGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!                  :4224:

10 hours ago, Regis22 said:

The lines didn't work last year

They added 3 players . A rookie  ( Hudon ) , a veteran with a busted hip( Hemsky ) and young gun ( Drouin )

Still no # 1 C or # 2 C . Lots of things have to go right and the D is bad IMO. The D is a bunch of slow guys

Actually the Galchenyuk line did work last year (and even better the year before) before all the injuries.  Therrible was too thick to see that they needed time to gel again (and the fact Gallagehr couldnt hold a stick for most of the season didnt help).  Julien came in way too late & was too nervous to try anything other than the status quo.

Hemsky may well be done but you gotta give the guy a chance.  He has had a history of putting up big points when paired with offensive players.  If you put him on the 3rd line he'll give you great defensive hockey but if you ask him to play offense & put him with some skilled players, he will put up points, assuming his body can handle it. 

Hudon - who knows what his ceiling is?  No one has given him a chance!

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Actually the Galchenyuk line did work last year (and even better the year before) before all the injuries.  Therrible was too thick to see that they needed time to gel again (and the fact Gallagehr couldnt hold a stick for most of the season didnt help).  Julien came in way too late & was too nervous to try anything other than the status quo.

Hemsky may well be done but you gotta give the guy a chance.  He has had a history of putting up big points when paired with offensive players.  If you put him on the 3rd line he'll give you great defensive hockey but if you ask him to play offense & put him with some skilled players, he will put up points, assuming his body can handle it. 

Hudon - who knows what his ceiling is?  No one has given him a chance!

I don't know what you think you're trying to pull with all this positivity here, pal. :6185:

Don't see much likelihood both Drouin and Galchenyuk are playing C this year, Julien is pretty conservative. I think at this point we're pretty much stuck with 1 of them at C though, no way around that given how the roster is built. 

I'll start with guessing one line will be Pacioretty with Danault and Gallagher. Pacioretty drives any line and he works with both players individually. Pacioretty's nice because he doesn't require a ton of skill around him. He's a monster 5 on 5. Gallagher is due a bounce back, nothing about his game was that bad last year other than the counting #s and he's young. Danault for all his flaws, is competent and is trusted in all 3 zones.

The next line is interesting. I would guess you put Drouin with Galchenyuk at C and either Shaw or Hemsky on the RW for an offensive optimization line. Lots of Ozone starts, hopefully lots of goals. Initial reaction is "put Hemsky there, he's skilled" but I could see Julien wanting to try Hemsky and Pleks and also, I could see them thinking Shaw works well because he's skilled enough to bang pucks in and can take strong side faceoffs/help in DZone coverage since he has a bit of C experience himself. I know people will say put Lehkonen or even Hudon there, yeah I just don't see Julien doing that - at all.

So I guess that leaves Lehkonen with Plekanec and Hemsky and Byron on the 4th line. It's not necessarily how I'd optimize the lineup, but  it's what I guess they open with. I like the Hemsky signing FWIW. Excited to see how Julien fits these pieces together because there's not an obvious fit. 

^^ If they don't make a trade for a center and refuse to play both AG and JD down the middle, what does that leave you conceivably?

Pacioretty-Danault-Drouin

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Shaw-Hemsky

Byron-Mitchell-McCarron

It would be a really odd thing to put all your strength at wing and leave yourself really weak down the middle. That strategy has worked for no one in the past. It also leaves no real spot for Hudon in the top 9 this way.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

What about McCarron though? Do they maybe have more faith in him playing center than Galchenyuk?

That depends on McCarron ... if he's improved his foot speed a bit and his faceoffs, conceivably you get 

Patch - Danault - Hemsky

Drouin - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Byron - Plekenecs - Lehkonen

Mitchell - McCarron - Shaw

I don't mind those lines at all.   Give Hudon some time here and there on 3rd, moving Byron down to 4th.   Same with Sherbek .. put him on 2nd and move Lehk down to 4th and Gallagher to 3rd.   (Or Lehk to LW on 3rd and Byron to 4th, with Sherbek on 2nd)

Pacioretty Galchenyuk Gallagher

Drouin Danault Scherbak

Lehkonen Plekanec Hemsky

Byron Mitchell Shaw

Jerabek Weber

Alzner Petry

Schlemko Benn

Price

Lindgren

I'd take Vanek back for another year. That would look better on our right side. Hudon could also if Plekanec was shed for cap relief.

I would start the season like this (assuming Markov does not sign and nothing changes):

Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher... Pacioretty likes Danault. This is a good all situation line. 

Drouin - Galchenyuk - Byron....... Someone has to move from left to right, could easily be Lehkonen or Drouin. Would be more of a scoring line                                                                          and that makes it easier to have someone play on their off wing                                        

Lehkonen - Hudon - Shaw.......... Hudon Must be given chance to play center. Shaw could easily slide up. 

Martinsen - Mitchell - McCarron... Could flip Mitchel and McCarron if he takes a step forward, in preparation to move McCarron up the lineup

Pressbox: Plekanec/Hemsky

Jerabek - Weber... Big question mark for Jerabek but I think he's our best hope

Alzner - Petry

Schlemko - Benn

Pressbox: Davidson/Morrow

Price 

Montoya

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

I would start the season like this (assuming Markov does not sign and nothing changes):

Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher... Pacioretty likes Danault. This is a good all situation line. 

Drouin - Galchenyuk - Byron....... Someone has to move from left to right, could easily be Lehkonen or Drouin. Would be more of a scoring line                                                                          and that makes it easier to have someone play on their off wing                                        

Lehkonen - Hudon - Shaw.......... Hudon Must be given chance to play center. Shaw could easily slide up. 

Martinsen - Mitchell - McCarron... Could flip Mitchel and McCarron if he takes a step forward, in preparation to move McCarron up the lineup

Pressbox: Plekanec/Hemsky

Jerabek - Weber... Big question mark for Jerabek but I think he's our best hope

Alzner - Petry

Schlemko - Benn

Pressbox: Davidson/Morrow

Price 

Montoya

Hemsky just signed, no way you sit him in pressbox to start season.  Pleks makes far too much to be sitting in the pressbox.     

Martinsen is useless and has no place in the roster, and I doubt we see Hudon to start.

44 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Hemsky just signed, no way you sit him in pressbox to start season.  Pleks makes far too much to be sitting in the pressbox.     

Martinsen is useless and has no place in the roster, and I doubt we see Hudon to start.

I'm not saying that's what the lines will be but what they should be. Pleks will probably be #1 C. Hemsky will be in the top 6. Markov will be re-signed and play next to Weber

I liked Martinsen 

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

^^ If they don't make a trade for a center and refuse to play both AG and JD down the middle, what does that leave you conceivably?

Pacioretty-Danault-Drouin

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Shaw-Hemsky

Byron-Mitchell-McCarron

It would be a really odd thing to put all your strength at wing and leave yourself really weak down the middle. That strategy has worked for no one in the past. It also leaves no real spot for Hudon in the top 9 this way.

i read that there is a rumbling coming out of Edmonton that after the ridiculous contract Mcdavid got, they're probably likely to trade RNH. The article said Montreal and Edmonton are in talks about a Gallagher for RNH swap. The lines could be  

Pacioretty-RNH-Drouin

Galchenyuk-Danault-Scherbak/Hudon

Lehkonen-Plekanec-Hemsky

Byron-Mitchell-McCarron

11 minutes ago, manquant said:

i read that there is a rumbling coming out of Edmonton that after the ridiculous contract Mcdavid got, they're probably likely to trade RNH. The article said Montreal and Edmonton are in talks about a Gallagher for RNH swap. The lines could be  

Pacioretty-RNH-Drouin

Galchenyuk-Danault-Scherbak/Hudon

Lehkonen-Plekanec-Hemsky

Byron-Mitchell-McCarron

I wouldn't be surprised if MB tossed in Petry. 

Keep in mind that Hudon and DLR need to clear waivers, while Scherbak and McCarron don't. So it does give higher odds that the former two will make the team out of camp. Scherbak would really have to impress to make the team, and I think his odds are low. What do I think fits thus far?

- Pacioretty as a 1st line LW

- Drouin-Galchenyuk-Gallagher as a line would be really exciting. AG and BG play well together and should absolutely be kept together.

- Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw was a brilliant 3rd line last year. It's better than a lot of 3rd lines in the league

- Carr and McCarron make a pretty good 4th line duo IMO. I think you can pair them with any of Byron, Mitchell, Hudon, or DLR and make that line work decently well.

What we are lacking is an ideal pairing to go with Pacioretty. If you assume the AG line is the de facto 1st line with O zone starts, then maybe Pacman-Plekanec-Hemsky can fly as a 2nd line, but only if Plekanec has a rebound year. if MB can grab RNH, then that's a coup to fill in that spot next to Pacman. Radulov would have been a great 3rd member of that trio, but I could live with Pacman-RNH-Hemsky for sure. If Gallagher were the guy traded, then to me, Hudon-AG-Drouin becomes the other top 6 line. I do believe Hudon can score 20 and be a Lehkonen-like surprise if he is given a top 6 role. I just don't think that will happen.

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Keep in mind that Hudon and DLR need to clear waivers, while Scherbak and McCarron don't. So it does give higher odds that the former two will make the team out of camp. Scherbak would really have to impress to make the team, and I think his odds are low. What do I think fits thus far?

- Pacioretty as a 1st line LW

- Drouin-Galchenyuk-Gallagher as a line would be really exciting. AG and BG play well together and should absolutely be kept together.

- Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw was a brilliant 3rd line last year. It's better than a lot of 3rd lines in the league

- Carr and McCarron make a pretty good 4th line duo IMO. I think you can pair them with any of Byron, Mitchell, Hudon, or DLR and make that line work decently well.

What we are lacking is an ideal pairing to go with Pacioretty. If you assume the AG line is the de facto 1st line with O zone starts, then maybe Pacman-Plekanec-Hemsky can fly as a 2nd line, but only if Plekanec has a rebound year. if MB can grab RNH, then that's a coup to fill in that spot next to Pacman. Radulov would have been a great 3rd member of that trio, but I could live with Pacman-RNH-Hemsky for sure. If Gallagher were the guy traded, then to me, Hudon-AG-Drouin becomes the other top 6 line. I do believe Hudon can score 20 and be a Lehkonen-like surprise if he is given a top 6 role. I just don't think that will happen.

I actually think there's a good chance Pleks has a rebound year.  I dont see him scoring 70 points again but if you played him on a line with Patches (Who basically gets the job done next to anyone) and Hemsky I think Pleks bounces back with 45-50 points. Its not ideal but if we have an explosive offensive line like Drouin-Chuck-Gally then i think Patches-Pleks-Hemsky would be just fine.    And like you said, you'd get back arguably our best 3rd line in a decade. 

A number of media outlets have suggested we should sign Jagr.

Its an interesting idea, as some suggest  Pleks-Jagr would boost Pleks' game. 

Drouin - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Plekanec - Jagr
Lehkonen - Danault - Shaw
Hudon/Byron - McCarron - Hemsky

We would have 3 lines that can play all situations (DGG would have to be sheltered a little defensively) and really some nice balanced scoring.  

Not sure if MB can fit both Jagr and Markov under the cap though. 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

In one way i'd be OK with Jagr on a one year deal, and on the other hand i'd like to give one of the kids that ice time. Wonder what his asking price would be?

Normally id also agree but in this case, I think adding Jagr would solve three problems:  

1) Shore up our top 6. 
2) Allow us to move more talent into our bottom 6.
3) Hopefully get one more good year out of Plekanec

I think if we signed him we should definitely try to get a 4th line with skill.  Forget the pluggers, put Hemsky, McCarron, Hudon, Byron etc out there. Leave Martinsen and co in the minors. 

As for cost, Im honestly not sure what it would take.  My guess either $3-4m for 1 year or maybe he'd take a little less if we offered him 2. I think he just wants to play.

Our defense really has me going around in circles.   I keep coming back to the at LD spot next to Weber. Its what is killing us. 

We have several good options next to Petry (Benn, Alzner - even a guy like Schlemko or Davidson might be able to handle that assignment).

We have like 40 guys who can play on the third pairing. 

But we have no one that right now is a clear option next to Weber.   If nothing else changes on our blueline between now and October, I suspect they will try Alzner there which seems like a bad idea.  I have a feeling MB looked at the first 30 or so games last year when Weber-Emelin looked so good (it wasnt as good as looked on paper, they benefitted from a lot of luck and good bounces) and said "Alzner is better than Emelin so, bang, thats what we do."

If we resign Markov, chances are we put him there, but again: wrong move imho.  I think Markov-Weber will look great for a few weeks but as the year goes on would look very bad.  

I know people have suggested newcomer Jakub Jerabek - and who knows, maybe he can do it - but it scares me.  The jump from the KHL to the NHL, especially for a defensman is a big one. Give him 3rd pairing duties & he might be fine but put him into a 1st pairing situation?  I dunno.   The other thing is, most players as they streak into our zone will do everything they can to avoid weber, meaning there is an extra toll put on whomever he plays next to.  I dont know if thats the best learning environment.

Really not sure what CJ is going to do.  Hope MB has some sort of rabbit up his sleeve.

• H_T_L locked this topic