The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 Habs Lines

BigTed3

6 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

You do realize Patches , Petry, Chucky , MaCarron , are all American I believe we have others also. We may have more Americans on our team than some other teams do. I agree the taxes don't make it appealing to anyone even Canadians.

Albeit the counter-point to that would be that Pacman, Chucky, and McCarron were drafted by this organization, and Petry was traded here from another Canadian team. Pacman and Petry both re-signed here, but they had the advantage of having played here and seeing upside to the organization before making that choice.

In the end, I don't think Americans are going to refuse to play here because they are American, but I do think there are players who refuse to play here because of taxes/language/media, regardless of their nationality. We definitely have a disadvantage compared to other teams with lower taxes, etc. and the cap does not permit us to overcome those disadvantages. As we've said before, if you have a hard cap, you need to adjust that so that take-home pay is equalized for tax differences.

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:47 PM, BigTed3 said:

.., but I do think there are players who refuse to play here because of taxes/language/media, regardless of their nationality. 

There is a TSN interview with Drew Doughty where he states that a lot of players like being anonymous . In LA he can go anywhere and hardly anyone recognizes him . " If " he were to sign in Toronto he would lose that luxury and it was something , if I recall, he didn't want to lose . Maybe someone can find the interview

13 hours ago, Regis22 said:

There is a TSN interview with Drew Doughty where he states that a lot of players like being anonymous . In LA he can go anywhere and hardly anyone recognizes him . " If " he were to sign in Toronto he would lose that luxury and it was something , if I recall, he didn't want to lose . Maybe someone can find the interview

If Canadian teams started winning the Stanley Cup those 'anonymous' players would be clamoring to play in Canada.

22 hours ago, habs1952 said:

If Canadian teams started winning the Stanley Cup those 'anonymous' players would be clamoring to play in Canada.

As great as that sounds , it would be even tougher on them and their family. Doughty actually has won cups and gets the accolade's of the parades and winning. Then he and his family actually get to go back to normal life afterwards. Not being bugged just picking his kids up from school or going to the grocery store ect. 

10 hours ago, habs1952 said:

True, but winning the Cup is what hockey players want the most, except the money of course.

You could also say that winning the cup is secondary to earning the money. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jeff33 said:

so there's talk of drouin at center....I think he and chuck should be on the same line regardless

chuck-drouin-lehkonen

patch-danault-gallagher

hemsky-plek-shaw

byron-mitchell-hudon

and i bump hudon up with plek with any sort of success.

Looks alright. I'm actually fine with our forwards, even though it would be great if Radulov was still around.

It's our D that's a complete train-wreck and I don't think there's a quick way to fix it without butchering our forward lines.

I still prefer to keep Chucky with Gallagher, their performances together are better than their performances apart. I'm on board with sticking Drouin with those two, if only because I think you can then shelter that line with O zone starts and have your others lines be able to match up freely.

Drouin-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Pacioretty-Danault-Lehkonen

Hudon-Plekanec-Hemsky

Byron-Mitchell-Shaw

11 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

That aint gonna happen

Unfortunately you're right, the Stanley Cup is far from minds and hearts of this current GM & Owner. They are relying on the CH`s past winnings and are trying to capitalize and exploit on its past glories. Its all about the $$$`and how many fans will follow blindly unfortunately.

14 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Unfortunately you're right, the Stanley Cup is far from minds and hearts of this current GM & Owner. They are relying on the CH`s past winnings and are trying to capitalize and exploit on its past glories. Its all about the $$$`and how many fans will follow blindly unfortunately.

The team always spends to the cap, also yes it's a business and it is all about the $ which makes that argument wrong. The farther the team goes in the playoffs the more money the owner makes. A championship the team sells team related items like crazy tickets become more expensive with longer waiting list. Advertisers rates go up television rates go up ect. The farther the team goes is 100% in the minds of all owners. It also makes the team more valuable if the owner ever wanted to sell. A winning team makes more money that's simple business. We as fans may not agree with some or all the moves an owner or management may make but winning is always the bottom line. Nashville for years Buffalo Phoenix ect. were all sell imposed cap teams that fans actually had a legitimate argument that they weren't all in.

14 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

You and I should avoid the passing around of the torch on opening night. It's gotten old and embarrassing. 

On 8/17/2017 at 11:37 PM, kinot-2 said:

You could also say that winning the cup is secondary to earning the money. 

Heh. And to avoid taxes the boys can send me their money down here in GA. .... and  I will only charge a small fee...to take care of it.....etc etc.. Heh. If you believe that there are some water front property I can sell you  in FL. or perhaps even in Houston.  lol

i don't think the cup is coming this year, this team screams failure, the D is almost completely revamped and may take the season to gel, and i'm just not sold on the forwards, i guess if price has a dream year again and isn't worn out by the playoffs anything is possible

9 hours ago, jwlk said:

i don't think the cup is coming this year, this team screams failure, the D is almost completely revamped and may take the season to gel, and i'm just not sold on the forwards, i guess if price has a dream year again and isn't worn out by the playoffs anything is possible

The Habs are gonna be counting on Price to make the first pass out of the zone.

There ya go, not that it matters since he'll probably be traded

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/alex-galchenyuk-not-center-according-canadiens-gm-145216703.html

“Alex is playing on the wing,” said GM Marc Bergevin, via Arpon Basu, at a golf tournament on Monday. Eric Engels puts a fine point on it:

Marc Bergevin has all but ruled out that Alex Galchenyuk will play centre at any point. Says he's seen enough to know it won't work.

— Eric Engels (@EricEngels) September 11, 2017

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Tony MarinaroVerified account @TonyMarinaro

Marc Bergevin tells me SWeber's D partner on his board is Schlemko but that can change. Can be by committee depending on opponents

Image result for yikes

Even if you don't like Schlemko there, to me this means they know they can't plug Alzner there just because he's the best D on that side. He's trying younger, mobile, puck-moving D there and if one of them turns out to be more competent than we thought playing on a top line...

Also, is anyone else watching Will Bitten? He wouldn't make the big club right off, but he's been consistently producing on three different teams in the O, around PPG the last two. A year or two in Laval with a few call ups might have us a good 2/3rd line center in a few years time, perhaps. Hard-working and defensively responsible. Biggest knock so far is that he's unproven and a bit on the small side. Think if we had Gallagher as a center.

39 minutes ago, RyderRocks73 said:

Even if you don't like Schlemko there...........

to be honest I know nothing about .

Only in Montreal do  3rd / 4 th liners or # 5 # 6 D men on other teams become 1 st liners or 1 st pairing D men on the Habs

• H_T_L locked this topic