The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017-18 Habs Lines

BigTed3

Pacioretty-Drouin-Galchenyuk

Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher

Byron-Plekanec-Hemsky

Hudon-Mitchell-Shaw

Left wing looks solid, Right wing looks solid, Center is the question mark as we all know.

I wouldn't be surprised if MB lands Kopitar or Carter from the Kings before Christmas.

6 hours ago, Windoe said:

Pacioretty-Drouin-Galchenyuk

Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher

Byron-Plekanec-Hemsky

Hudon-Mitchell-Shaw

Left wing looks solid, Right wing looks solid, Center is the question mark as we all know.

I wouldn't be surprised if MB lands Kopitar or Carter from the Kings before Christmas.

Yep.....a 30 or a 32 year old beginning the downside of their careers. I can see MB giving up youth for one of these guys.  

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

Yep.....a 30 or a 32 year old beginning the downside of their careers. I can see MB giving up youth for one of these guys.  

haha. probably.

That said, if we're going "all in" now we need to actually "go all in."   Solutions that dont cost much or dont have much risk probably wont net much in terms of results. Id actually have less of a problem with him making a few big moves to make us contenders with a tiny window than him keep tinkering and making us no better, if not worse.

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:24 PM, BigTed3 said:

2. Our D is brutal. I don't know what MB is thinking when he gives interviews saying our D has markedly improved and that he wanted to build a fast, puck-moving defence. Yes, we want those things. No, you have not given those things to us, Marc. Our D is older and slower and less adept with the puck. It's built around a lot of sluggish defensive defencemen who might put up shot blocking numbers but who won't help to re-launch the transition game or capitalize on many loose puck recoveries. Weber, Benn, Davidson, Alzner, Schlemko... all NHL-quality defencemen but not a single fast-skating D player among them and not a single guy who's going to be able to reliably skate the puck up ice or have the vision to make tough breakout passes the way Subban and Markov did. I like Petry, but he's also 30 now, so hard to see him getting any better than what he's already given us.

This guy apparently is opening eyes......................in camp

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/prospect-victor-mete-opening-eyes-canadiens-camp/

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

haha. probably.

That said, if we're going "all in" now we need to actually "go all in."   Solutions that dont cost much or dont have much risk probably wont net much in terms of results. Id actually have less of a problem with him making a few big moves to make us contenders with a tiny window than him keep tinkering and making us no better, if not worse.

I should add that Kopitar would cost $10 mil against the cap until 2012/22.

On 9/5/2017 at 5:06 AM, Habs=stanleycup said:

We do mirror the old version of the Laffs unfortunately IMO, due to management intransigence and an owner who`s ultimate goal seems to be beer sales rather than bringing our Stanley Cup back home.

Until there is a true, real, tangible goal and commitment given to the fans, they are simply going through the motions, season after season. Pass the torch, yeah right. That ceremony has lost its meaning and significance to a once truly proud team who understood the commitment and what it meant to wear the CH.

On 9/11/2017 at 3:39 PM, maas_art said:

anyone starting to think hemsky will get more ice time that AG this year

Le Journal is suggesting that Benn may be the guy who starts next to weber.  Seems surprising but on the flip side, he's one of our 4 best defensmen so playing him on the 3rd pairing isnt ideal.  It seems like they are planning on playing Alzner-Petry together 

Benn - Weber
Alzner-Petry

The third pairing has about 10 players (schlemko, davidson, streit, morrow, gelinas, mete, redmond, Juulsen, lernout, taormina, mete etc)  to choose from, so I have no idea who they are planning to use there. :P

Up front here's how Julien has used them so far (albeit, its very very early):

Pacioretty - Drouin - Hemsky
Galchenyuk - Danault - Gallagher
Hudon - Plekanec - Lekhonen
Byron - Mitchell - Shaw

A couple of takeaways so far:   
- 4 nicely balanced lines
- Good scoring potential on the top 2 but decent on all 4.
- I like that CJ doesnt seem scared to play $$$ players lower down the roster (Pleks, Shaw etc)
- Hudon looks like a safe bet to make the team
- Hemsky/Lehkonen can be swapped 

Overall i like the lines CJ is starting with, although i know a lot can change in the coming weeks.

4 hours ago, RyderRocks73 said:

Best thing that could happen to this team:

Mete forces them to keep him on the NHL roster.

Even better would not be pegging our hopes of a decent partner for Weber on a low-round draft pick who has never played at a higher level than junior. Mete has shown skill, but I doubt he's playing 18+ minutes a night in the NHL this season.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Even better would not be pegging our hopes of a decent partner for Weber on a low-round draft pick who has never played at a higher level than junior. Mete has shown skill, but I doubt he's playing 18+ minutes a night in the NHL this season.

I posted a very good article on Mete, in his profile, although it is dated April 5, 2017.

If the season were to start tomorrow (and Schlemko were still injured), I'd go with this D:

Gelinas-Weber

Alzner-Petry

Morrow-Benn

Davidson

Jerabek needs time in the minors based on what we've seen so far. Streit isn't adding much. When Schlemko is back, I'd slot him next to Weber and pair Gelinas with Benn. But for now, Gelinas is a veteran player who's still young enough to log big minutes. Best option we've seen at camp so far for a left-handed Weber partner.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

If the season were to start tomorrow (and Schlemko were still injured), I'd go with this D:

Gelinas-Weber

Alzner-Petry

Morrow-Benn

Davidson

Jerabek needs time in the minors based on what we've seen so far. Streit isn't adding much. When Schlemko is back, I'd slot him next to Weber and pair Gelinas with Benn. But for now, Gelinas is a veteran player who's still young enough to log big minutes. Best option we've seen at camp so far for a left-handed Weber partner.

Agree about Jerabek.  He's got some really nice skills and I could see him sticking by the end of the year but for now I think he needs time in the minors.  

I actually have a feeling they are going to keep Mete up and with Weber for at least a few games. I think this is a very slippery slope; on the one hand he has the ideal skills next to Weber but on the other, what a massive burden to put on such a young player.  

I would probably try either Gelinas or Morrow next to Weber.  I think Schlemko will be the choice once he's back, although I worry about whether he can handle the minutes.   Before training camp started there were some who thought Benn may slot next to Weber (even though he prefers playing his off-side). 

Lines at practice somewhat telling today:

- Hemsky and Gallagher swap spots, which makes AG-Danault-Hemsky effectively the 3rd line now.

- Terry-Holland-Froese remains intact and signals those 3 guys likely headed to AHL as a unit

- On D, Mete remains partnered with Weber, so looks like he'll get at least one more shot in that role. A lot depends on if/when Schlemko is back...

- Benn remains partnered with Streit, which I expect will be our 3rd pairing on opening night.

- Jerabek-Taormina remains a duo, and like the Holland line, is probably a forecast of what will happen in the AHL. Neither guy likely to make the team

- Morrow-Davidson paired in what will probably be a battle for the 7th-8th spots

- Gelinas the odd man out today, which is unfortunate, since he's been better than a host of other guys this camp. Hoping he gets another shot to displace Streit, Morrow, or Davidson.

• H_T_L locked this topic