The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#27 Alex Galchenyuk 2017-18

habs_93

1 hour ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I thought it was smart to put him on a line with Scherbak and McCarron.  In fact, I think that should be our 2nd line not our 4th.  As for the Mario Tremblay thing.  I always thought Mario Tremblay was 15 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag.  Tremblay should be fired for what he did.  

1. Tremblay himself was caught drunk driving a few years back, which is bad in and of itself. To boot, he apparently berated the officer and accused him of being an idiot like PK Subban. So he insulted the police officer and Subban at the same time for no good reason. It went along with the whole Anti-Chambre/Michel Therrien's gang's public detestation of Subban.

2. We all know what Tremblay did with respect to Patrick Roy and driving him out of town. We also know how bad a coach Tremblay was.

3. Tremblay clearly broke the code in the Galchenyuk case, publicizing a personal matter... either it's true, in which case Tremblay over-stepped his bounds or it's not true, in which case Tremblay either lied or reported something he heard without verification. Either way, not very commendable for a supposed media member.

I agree with you... Tremblay should be fired. Not just for this one incident, but I'm not sure anyone can trust what he says when he so obviously has biases against players and perhaps a personal grudge against the organization. Jack Todd today said he's never met anyone in his time following the Habs as terrible a person as Tremblay is, so he clearly doesn't have much respect from his fellow reporters either.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

1. Tremblay himself was caught drunk driving a few years back, which is bad in and of itself. To boot, he apparently berated the officer and accused him of being an idiot like PK Subban. So he insulted the police officer and Subban at the same time for no good reason. It went along with the whole Anti-Chambre/Michel Therrien's gang's public detestation of Subban.

2. We all know what Tremblay did with respect to Patrick Roy and driving him out of town. We also know how bad a coach Tremblay was.

3. Tremblay clearly broke the code in the Galchenyuk case, publicizing a personal matter... either it's true, in which case Tremblay over-stepped his bounds or it's not true, in which case Tremblay either lied or reported something he heard without verification. Either way, not very commendable for a supposed media member.

I agree with you... Tremblay should be fired. Not just for this one incident, but I'm not sure anyone can trust what he says when he so obviously has biases against players and perhaps a personal grudge against the organization. Jack Todd today said he's never met anyone in his time following the Habs as terrible a person as Tremblay is, so he clearly doesn't have much respect from his fellow reporters either.

And see, this is where I think all the foolishness has to end.  If Bergevin were a man, let alone a leader of men, he would release a statement to the press, condemning Tremblay for the breach...and at the same time, standing behind Galchenyuk and congratulating him for having the courage to get help for his addictions (If that is indeed what happened).  You want to instill confidence in your young scorer? Do that instead. Stand behind him, instead of kicking him to the curb as damaged goods.  Like you did with Kassian.  Just to name a few.  That's what might save your job.  Try compassion instead of indifference.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Tremblay seems to have a knack of having ties to players run out of town. Maybe he's a foxhole buddy of MB.

3 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

And see, this is where I think all the foolishness has to end.  If Bergevin were a man, let alone a leader of men, he would release a statement to the press, condemning Tremblay for the breach...and at the same time, standing behind Galchenyuk and congratulating him for having the courage to get help for his addictions (If that is indeed what happened).  You want to instill confidence in your young scorer? Do that instead. Stand behind him, instead of kicking him to the curb as damaged goods.  Like you did with Kassian.  Just to name a few.  That's what might save your job.  Try compassion instead of indifference.

The problem for MB and the Habs is that they're not allowed to acknowledge any of this publicly because of a confidentiality agreement. So MB can't talk positively or negatively about Galchenyuk's possible involvement in a program because to him, it's as if it never existed (which it might not have). It would be nice for the Habs as a team to come out and say "we condemn Mario Tremblay's statements and his attempts to create a news story at the expense of one of our players. Because of privacy issues, we cannot comment on whether any of our players have been involved in any type of detoxification but we can say with certainty that it is not Mr. Tremblay's place to raise this issue in the public forum." Personally, I think this is more on Geoff Molson to be a leader here and make a statement. But Molson has shown reluctance to do anything that might upset the French media, so I doubt he does anything (and if he does, I think it'd be more because he's trying to calm the wave of criticism that's come up about this and protect his team's image rather than protect the player).

4 hours ago, BizarreReverend said:

At least he's put a few in the net lately. Maybe he'll get some more ice time.

He's been one of our better forwards the past 3 games, and yet he continues to get low ice times. Lowest ES time on ice last night. CJ said after the game that he's playing well on the PP but still needs to earn more time at ES and that it's a process. Yet don't see Julien treating anyone else this way.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

He's been one of our better forwards the past 3 games, and yet he continues to get low ice times. Lowest ES time on ice last night. CJ said after the game that he's playing well on the PP but still needs to earn more time at ES and that it's a process. Yet don't see Julien treating anyone else this way.

That's because his name isn't Alexandre Bergeron.  If he's French Canadien than he's Julien and Bergevins wet dream.

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I was hoping I wouldn't hear the word 'process' after MT was gone.  

AG will again start on the 4th line tonight against ott as management must feel he is the worst player on the ice, wish they would put him o that 1st line, or 2nd Galchenyuk - McCarron - Mitchell that's just a waste of his talent, wish they would tell us why they really wont play him top min

http://www.tsn.ca/ice-chips-habs-to-start-montoya-against-sens-1.900036

5 hours ago, jwlk said:

AG will again start on the 4th line tonight against ott as management must feel he is the worst player on the ice, wish they would put him o that 1st line, or 2nd Galchenyuk - McCarron - Mitchell that's just a waste of his talent, wish they would tell us why they really wont play him top min

http://www.tsn.ca/ice-chips-habs-to-start-montoya-against-sens-1.900036

Mike Johnson said he thinks Julien is doing this to shelter Galchenyuk.   I know it sounds strange - you're putting him in a position where he is less likely to succeed - but on the flipside, if his confidence is shot, you remove a lot of the expectations.  If he doesnt score you say "well, look at who he's playing with" and if he does have success its in spite of the coach.  

I'm not sure if i buy it or not (although as commentators go, Johnson is top notch) but it probably makes more sense than to think an otherwise good coach like Julien would botch it with this one player.  He's shown lots of patience and trust with young players like Mete, Hudon, etc etc.  Heck even guys like Drouin and Danault are roughly the same age as AG.

"Shelter" Galchenyuk.  Right.  Whatever.  

I don't buy it, either.  In fact, I fail to see how much worse things would be if they simply put him on the top line (where he belongs), at center, and left him there with top linemates.  He's a skill guy, he's not a grinder.  What are they worried about.....losing some games?  The team is in LAST place, for crying out loud.  Isn't that a statement of how badly they are running things?  

This constant mismanagement of players has now become a routine business practice with the elitists who run this franchise, just like trading away prime assets for next to nothing.  Winning games, and especially winning championships, has completely vanished from the list of priorities.  Now it's (1) keep the job; (2) don't let anyone notice how incompetent you are; (3) make sure the coach speaks French; and of course (4) keep selling lots of overpriced beer, all the while lying to the fans about essentially everything.  It's not only disrespectful, it's contemptuous. 

With AG, what this means is he will either (a) flounder away entire seasons on a checking line; or (b) start to shine, which will only get him traded to a team that will know how to use him.  It's a lose-lose situation for Montreal, again. 

Thank God Vegas has a team now.  Watching the Golden Knights play reminds me of what it looks like to see a well-coached, hungry team work hard till that last whistle.  I'd be willing to bet if Vegas ever got Alex Galchenyuk, he wouldn't be playing on the 4th line with grinders.  

Galchenyuk gets 10 minutes and change again tonight. CJ says he's improving and that he needs to find him more ice time but that it's hard when everyone else is playing so well... not true, Claude. Plekanec has been worse. Shaw has been worse. Galchenyuk has been just as good as Hudon and Pacioretty. Plenty of opportunity for CJ to use one of his elite talents in the top 6 and he hasn't. Enough excuses, coach.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Galchenyuk gets 10 minutes and change again tonight. CJ says he's improving and that he needs to find him more ice time but that it's hard when everyone else is playing so well... not true, Claude. Plekanec has been worse. Shaw has been worse. Galchenyuk has been just as good as Hudon and Pacioretty. Plenty of opportunity for CJ to use one of his elite talents in the top 6 and he hasn't. Enough excuses, coach.

Bergevin would be upset if Shaw was demoted. He's won a cup, has grit and takes stupid penalties! Doesn't every team have a player like that in the top 6?

42 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Bergevin would be upset if Shaw was demoted. He's won a cup, has grit and takes stupid penalties! Doesn't every team have a player like that in the top 6?

Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, Dustin Brown.

Two of those guys deserve to be playing there right now, though.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Disappointed to see his TOI from last night. 10:43. I hope Julien can find a way to get him out there more. Seems like a good opportunity to help build his confidence after he's started scoring again.

this has clearly turned into a coach or management doesn't like him story, hes tied for lead in goals, and is on a scoring streak, but is still limited to 10 min a game, he will not grow here as a player, and that's to bad, i really think he could be a number 1

1 hour ago, jwlk said:

this has clearly turned into a coach or management doesn't like him story, hes tied for lead in goals, and is on a scoring streak, but is still limited to 10 min a game, he will not grow here as a player, and that's to bad, i really think he could be a number 1

i dont think anything is 'clear' at this point.

If the stories are true about his rehab, we really have no way of knowing what he's going through and how he - and the team - are dealing with things.  On the surface, sure its easy to think he's just being treated unfairly but to make snap judgements about issues we dont have all the facts on is never a good idea. 

For now Im as frustrated as anyone to see him used so little but I also have faith that Julien has a plan. He's not spiteful, vindictive or unintelligent.  We arent dealing with Michel Therrien or Mario Tremblay.  Julien continues to use young players like Hudon and Mete effectively. He continues to be patient with guys like Lehkonen and Patches and Drouin.  

I think Galchenyuk will blossom soon enough.   My only real concern is that MB may be foolish enough to trade him before that happens. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

For now Im as frustrated as anyone to see him used so little but I also have faith that Julien has a plan. He's not spiteful, vindictive or unintelligent.  We arent dealing with Michel Therrien or Mario Tremblay.  Julien continues to use young players like Hudon and Mete effectively. He continues to be patient with guys like Lehkonen and Patches and Drouin.  

I mean, for one, just look at the major complaints that we have right now about how our lineup is being used.  There's Galchenyuk not getting enough ice time.  Then there's.... I dunno, I guess some unproductive players are getting PP time?  Alzner playing too much? Maybe Pleky could be replaced at center?  The "wrong" guys have been used in OT?

The point I'm trying to make is that this time last year (and honestly for the last number of years) any Habs fan who watched a game could have reeled off a list of 10 blatant lineup mistakes without even thinking about it.  Therrien's decision-making was always questionable when it came to putting lines together, and it was often pretty easy to trace it back to either favouritism or to a misunderstanding of what certain players could bring to the table.

So far this year, though, it's been a different story.  I mean fans are always going to have ideas and opinions on this or that, but at least for the most part you can see the logic behind the decisions that are being made.  Galchenyuk's treatment is the only real glaring exception to that. 

So to my mind, this means that either the coaching staff doesn't understand Galchenyuk's value (and I find it hard to believe that they can't see what almost every person watching these games can see), the coaching staff is just being illogically stubborn (I'd believe this with our old coach, but so far Julien hasn't shown any other evidence of this), or the coaching staff knows something that we don't (?).  That's not to say that I'm on-board with whatever they do, or even that I'd agree with their reasoning if I knew what it was, but the truth is it's hard to hold any real opinion on it when it really seems like we don't know the whole story.

9 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

So to my mind, this means that either the coaching staff doesn't understand Galchenyuk's value (and I find it hard to believe that they can't see what almost every person watching these games can see), the coaching staff is just being illogically stubborn (I'd believe this with our old coach, but so far Julien hasn't shown any other evidence of this), or the coaching staff knows something that we don't (?).  That's not to say that I'm on-board with whatever they do, or even that I'd agree with their reasoning if I knew what it was, but the truth is it's hard to hold any real opinion on it when it really seems like we don't know the whole story.

Exactly.  And like you, if i did know all the facts, who knows if id agree with how they are handling the situation but I do know I dont have all the facts.