The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#27 Alex Galchenyuk 2017-18

habs_93

6 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

It's called logic.    Another poster already showed you how his corsi is affected by whom he plays with, by extension that would include the D partners.      You can keep making the argument all you want and you'd still be wrong.     Pairing Galchenyuk with say Steve Ott and Derek King is clearly going to drag his Corsi down in spite of AG's talents ... and we all know that AG has spent significant time playing 3rd or 4th line minutes with players that by rights should be on the 3rd or 4th line.     We don't expect say Jamie Benn to suddenly play like PK Subban so why do we expect AG to play like Bob Gainey?    You might improve him defensively a bit, but where your efforts should be is to maximize the skill set he has ... and all his advanced stats indicate its a very good skillset that is being wasted and withering due to neglect and mismanagement.

Is he sound defensively?  Nope.      Is being used correctly by CJ and before that MT?   Nowhere near.      Is he maligned unfairly in the media? absolutetly

There are a ton of players in the NHL who are offense first (Kessel, Laine, McKinnon, Seguin etc) who people rarely whine and complain about their defensive play.     Instead their coaches do the smart thing ... give them the green light and stick somebody on their line to pick up the slack in the d-zone.

Correct, It is logic, actually quite simple logic. If he has played with relatively the same forwards the last 3 or 4 season. And has played on various lines the same as the other forwards and his numbers continue to be low relative to his teammates. Logic would tell me he is a a problem. 

Yep they were really on fire..

Maybe for the first 5 games. 

Again. Its like Bergevin and Therrien telling everybody how bad Subban was, with the numbers actually indicating how good he is.

This time its people telling everybody how good Galchenyk is and the numbers saying that just not the case.

12 minutes ago, Ravadak said:

Now tell me who are the better players playing with Galchenyk. And then tell which line has the better numbers...

And again you rely on what amounts to a 10-15 game sample?  Semin played a total of 15 games for the Habs.    Period.   And not all of those were with AG ... based on the icetime I'd estimate that was 8-9 games.   Over those 8-9 games their line Corse was 60% ... so despite the results on the scoreboard, they dominated in the offensive zone and produced far more chances for than they gave up ... as Scotty Bowman once quipped the best defence is having the puck.

You're clearly biased against AG and will find any stat or way of misrepresenting or misconstruing those stats to support your bias.     Instead of looking at the whole picture (ie career stats, trends, analyzing what contributed to those over all stats etc and also combining that traditional stats and analysis). you're choosing to focus on small samples that you hope prove your point.   It's called confirmation bias.       A few have agreed AG will never win the Selke.     But he's certainly capable of a lot more offence and is being hampered by usage and linemates (you ain't going to score with Ott/King on your wings).   Is he a superstar? Nope ... but there's evidence to suggest he's capable of near a PPG as he's done it before prior to being dog-housed by management.

13 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

so AG-Seming-Eller clearly generated for more offense than AG-Rad-Patches.   Semin was a tire fire and seemingly couldn't score and Eller is a puck possession monster that also isn't a great point getter.      So they tied the other team up in their own end for long stretches of time and generated a ton of chances and just didn't get points .... your point?

My point is you keep saying we don't give him the better linemates blah blah blag, wine wine wine. 

And what I pointed out to you was that with the better linemates the result was worse. 

Ah but they did generate points. As much as who they played against. 

While with Radulov and Patches and they giving up more chance and getting scored against more often. And for the life of me I m not sure how that helps a team. 

2 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

And again you rely on what amounts to a 10-15 game sample?  Semin played a total of 15 games for the Habs.    Period.   And not all of those were with AG ... based on the icetime I'd estimate that was 8-9 games.   Over those 8-9 games their line Corse was 60% ... so despite the results on the scoreboard, they dominated in the offensive zone and produced far more chances for than they gave up ... as Scotty Bowman once quipped the best defence is having the puck.

You're clearly biased against AG and will find any stat or way of misrepresenting or misconstruing those stats to support your bias.     Instead of looking at the whole picture (ie career stats, trends, analyzing what contributed to those over all stats etc and also combining that traditional stats and analysis). you're choosing to focus on small samples that you hope prove your point.   It's called confirmation bias.       A few have agreed AG will never win the Selke.     But he's certainly capable of a lot more offence and is being hampered by usage and linemates (you ain't going to score with Ott/King on your wings).   Is he a superstar? Nope ... but there's evidence to suggest he's capable of near a PPG as he's done it before prior to being dog-housed by management.

Actually u are so blinded by is assumed talent you are willing to overlook that he is generally and anchor on most lines. Again relative to other forwards on our team. 

18 minutes ago, Ravadak said:

Correct, It is logic, actually quite simple logic. If he has played with relatively the same forwards the last 3 or 4 season. And has played on various lines the same as the other forwards and his numbers continue to be low relative to his teammates. Logic would tell me he is a a problem. 

Yes but your logic is clearly flawed.     No other player has been bounced around the lineup as much as AG.    No other regular player has played under the miscroscope and in the dog-house the way he has.   Patches, Gallagher, Pleks, others etc were not forced to play 4th line minutes with 4th line pylons for significant streches of time.   And those line stats you trotted out?   They capture the data for the games where that was the announced line.     They don't take into account every line change during a game nor the fact that AG may have started on the 1st line with Rad and Patches, had a giveway and then spent the rest of the game on the 4th line trying to bounce pucks off two pylons.

3 minutes ago, Ravadak said:

My point is you keep saying we don't give him the better linemates blah blah blag, wine wine wine. 

And what I pointed out to you was that with the better linemates the result was worse. 

Ah but they did generate points. As much as who they played against. 

While with Radulov and Patches and they giving up more chance and getting scored against more often. And for the life of me I m not sure how that helps a team. 

Again, what part of "small sample" size don't you understand.    You're trotting out the few games he played with Rad and Patches as evidence instead of the looking at his ENTIRE career.     His year end numbers year after year are over 50 CF%... despite the adversity he's forced to play under.    The eye test also shows he has talent to control the puck, make plays etc ... nobody will argue he isn't a defensive liability, but so are a lot of offensively gifted players.     Other teams somehow find a way to turn that into gold, the habs however keep going down the road of square peg -> round hole.

7 hours ago, Ravadak said:

Actually u are so blinded by is assumed talent you are willing to overlook that he is generally and anchor on most lines. Again relative to other forwards on our team. 

Why you hating on AG so much, there are far worse players on the team who deserve this, leave one of our few talented players alone, AG has been the punching bag since CJ to over, maybe you should help with some positive insight on how to get this team better managed instead on tearing down your few bargain chips like MB.

If you don't like him, why would you expect another gm to give you anything good for him

On 1/3/2018 at 6:08 PM, HabsAlways said:

Again, what part of "small sample" size don't you understand.    You're trotting out the few games he played with Rad and Patches as evidence instead of the looking at his ENTIRE career.     His year end numbers year after year are over 50 CF%... despite the adversity he's forced to play under.    The eye test also shows he has talent to control the puck, make plays etc ... nobody will argue he isn't a defensive liability, but so are a lot of offensively gifted players.     Other teams somehow find a way to turn that into gold, the habs however keep going down the road of square peg -> round hole.

[EDIT] You [EDIT] told me how he was on fire when he played with Rads and Patches. [EDIT] So you randomly switched the discussion and said is was a small sample size. [EDIT]

Go ahead use your eye test. like everybody else he looks like he has a boat load of talent, I don't think anyone denies that. I certainly don't. His numbers just don't indicate that perceived talent. 

Sheesh Woop de do, he is at 50% year after year.  Let me jump  for joy. Do you realize out of all forwards on the habs since 2015 over 1000 minutes of icetime. He ranks 10th in CF%. This years he is at 48% and ranks even worse than his accumulated total since 2015, at 12th. 

On 1/3/2018 at 6:05 PM, HabsAlways said:

Yes but your logic is clearly flawed.     No other player has been bounced around the lineup as much as AG.    No other regular player has played under the miscroscope and in the dog-house the way he has.   Patches, Gallagher, Pleks, others etc were not forced to play 4th line minutes with 4th line pylons for significant streches of time.   And those line stats you trotted out?   They capture the data for the games where that was the announced line.     They don't take into account every line change during a game nor the fact that AG may have started on the 1st line with Rad and Patches, had a giveway and then spent the rest of the game on the 4th line trying to bounce pucks off two pylons.

Prove to me that this is the case show me many minutes he has played on the fourth line, relative to his over all icetime. IS it 1%, 5%, 15%, 40% 

21 hours ago, jwlk said:

Why you hating on AG so much, there are far worse players on the team who deserve this, leave one of our few talented players alone, AG has been the punching bag since CJ to over, maybe you should help with some positive insight on how to get this team better managed instead on tearing down your few bargain chips like MB.

If you don't like him, why would you expect another gm to give you anything good for him

I already have unload the wingers and get some puck carrying dee who can make a first pass and a couple of nhl centers

I never did say that I didn't like him. There are a lot of GMs who would buy in to the eye candy, ignore actual numbers and give up something really good.

15 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

I personally feel that Galchenyuk is:

A: Overrated

or

B: Lacks the proper linemates to make him successful

B. By far.  Its tough to say he's overrated when he is still the leading scorer in his draft year and, aside form Philip Forsberg (Who may well overtake him in points this year) no one else is even close to those 2.   About 1/2 the first rounders in his year dont even play in the NHL. it was a weak draft but he came as advertised so I think its tough to say he's "Overrated."

That said, I dont know if he'll ever meet the lofty expectations many had for him. When we drafted him there was hope he'd be a 100point scorer which seems unlikely.  But whats wrong with 30g, 35a which i think is well within his wheelhouse if we give him the opportunity to do so? 

My biggest fear is that we're going to trade him and watch him flourish elsewhere, when given a chance.  The only thing that makes me feel better is that it seems like he's been on the block all year and nothing has happened which makes me think MB knows his value & will not trade him unless we get quality coming back. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

That said, I dont know if he'll ever meet the lofty expectations many had for him. When we drafted him there was hope he'd be a 100point scorer which seems unlikely.  

Very unlikely . Look at the past few years how many player hit the 100 pt mark .

Id be happy if he hit 60

29 minutes ago, ThinkOutsidethebox said:

He should be put back at center. I don't see what the problem is. He can't do any worse than Drouin. 

Everyone else sees it,,,, why can't MB & CJ?

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

That said, I dont know if he'll ever meet the lofty expectations many had for him. When we drafted him there was hope he'd be a 100point scorer which seems unlikely.  But whats wrong with 30g, 35a which i think is well within his wheelhouse if we give him the opportunity to do so? 

Given today's NHL and scoring rates I expect AG to be in the 60-70pt range with a chance at being closer to a ppg.        His best year was 30g26a for 56pts @ age of 21.     It's not unreasonable that he'd average 60-70 given that year at such an early age.     His usage and continuous disparagement at the hands  of management has really hurt his game.

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

My biggest fear is that we're going to trade him and watch him flourish elsewhere, when given a chance.  The only thing that makes me feel better is that it seems like he's been on the block all year and nothing has happened which makes me think MB knows his value & will not trade him unless we get quality coming back. 

That is the continued problem with this current Habs management, putting players in spots where they don't belong. We can clearly see it as fans and yet the contempt continues.

I hope that AG27 keeps this up, he's working his ass off out there now and looks as though his reigns have been loosened a bit, even after battling the flu, he was one of the better players on the ice vs TB.