The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#27 Alex Galchenyuk 2017-18

habs_93

On 06/10/2017 at 1:04 AM, PuckPundit said:

Still looking lost after 1st game. Better buck up before being auctioned on the trading block again.

hes never been off. I'm surprised he made it through summer. I'll be stunned if he's here to the end of the year.

That 2nd goal tonight was scored because Drouin didn't pick up his man in coverage in the D zone. Drouin will need time to adjust to being an NHL center. That's fine. But if that were AG, he would be getting roasted right now in the media. Don't see a thing about Drouin failing defensively... definite double-standard going on. Anti-Russian? Pro-Francophone? Just anti-Galchenyuk? Don't know, but it smells fishy.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

That 2nd goal tonight was scored because Drouin didn't pick up his man in coverage in the D zone. Drouin will need time to adjust to being an NHL center. That's fine. But if that were AG, he would be getting roasted right now in the media. Don't see a thing about Drouin failing defensively... definite double-standard going on. Anti-Russian? Pro-Francophone? Just anti-Galchenyuk? Don't know, but it smells fishy.

I saw weber tonight throw one blindly from the slot right back to the point. I saw him get hit clean and go back and viciously crosscheck the guy from behind right in front of the ref, amazingly no penalty.  show subban doing that and the response would be "thats why he got traded" from anyone left who still thinks that wasnt the worst move we made since trading roy. 

as for chuck, that line is horrible and he is going to complete waste playing with 2 plugs like danault and shaw. if we are serious about scoring a goal once in a while, it might be a good idea to put this guy in a position to succeed.

7 minutes ago, jwlk said:

i dont think they want AG to succeed, they do everything possible to down him, he needs to moved for himself and out of this mess before this team destroys him

Certainly seems that way. 

7 hours ago, jwlk said:

i dont think they want AG to succeed, they do everything possible to down him, he needs to moved for himself and out of this mess before this team destroys him

Agreed. There's a narrative that AG needs to dig himself out of the hole and show he can earn top-line minutes or time at center, but the fact is that the same has never been true of Desharnais, McCarron, Drouin, or Danault. Those players were given center roles and ice time regardless of whether they made mistakes or played well. As with Subban, there is a dislike of AG and they are doing what they can to maximize the scrutiny on him.

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

If they want to use him as trade bait , then it would seem they are going about it the wrong way , I think

same would be said of suban, but alot of hockey is self esteem, how much does AG have left, we cant score and they 4th line him in the playoffs, he had great numbers at center so hes not defencive, give him time, i just hope hes moved before montreal destroys whats left of him 

27 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Frustrating start to the season for Alex (and everyone else, as well). I'm sure he really wanted to come out of the gate flying. I wonder if he gets an opportunity to turn it around or gets buried in a bottom six role with players like Shaw and Mitchell.

I wonder if hill running beats the bicycle.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Frustrating start to the season for Alex (and everyone else, as well). I'm sure he really wanted to come out of the gate flying. I wonder if he gets an opportunity to turn it around or gets buried in a bottom six role with players like Shaw and Mitchell.

I dont believe he'll be turning it around here.

1 hour ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Julien doesn't get it :5155:

Look, MT did some ridiculous things and clearly was a vindictive coach.  Julien shows me none of that. He is patient, gives young players a chance to succeed (Mete, Hudon) and rarely makes head-scratching moves.... with the one exception being Galchenyuk.  I have no idea why he's being used like this.

I can only come to 2 conclusions:

1) there's some supreme 'behind the scenes" Problem we're not privy to that has had Julien, Therrien and the "Team North America" coaches not wanting to use him.  I doubt this but who knows.

2) Julien has been told by Bergevin that alex will be moved... soon.  Imagine if you're Julien: do you play him & get chemistry between linemates, or do you push him down the lineup so that you dont come to rely on a guy who wont be on your roster long?  

31 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Look, MT did some ridiculous things and clearly was a vindictive coach.  Julien shows me none of that. He is patient, gives young players a chance to succeed (Mete, Hudon) and rarely makes head-scratching moves.... with the one exception being Galchenyuk.  I have no idea why he's being used like this.

1) there's some supreme 'behind the scenes" Problem we're not privy to that has had Julien, Therrien and the "Team North America" coaches not wanting to use him.  I doubt this but who knows.

2) Julien has been told by Bergevin that alex will be moved... soon.  Imagine if you're Julien: do you play him & get chemistry between linemates, or do you push him down the lineup so that you dont come to rely on a guy who wont be on your roster long?  

2) It won't help the chance of trading him for fair value though. 1) Could be... but is this the way to go about helping the player... by showing no confidence in his skillset?

40 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

2) It won't help the chance of trading him for fair value though. 1) Could be... but is this the way to go about helping the player... by showing no confidence in his skillset?

Totally agree!  But I also dont think a few games into the season is going to change another GM's feelings on his value.  

I am not saying any of this is the right way to go about these things, just trying to make sense of a very very strange situation.  

Yeah at this point a trade just feels telegraphed.  They seem to have no plans of putting him at center and likely comfortable with Pacioretty-Hudon-Byron as the top 9 LWs. I guess we can only hope the trade isn't too awful, and we'll just have to grit our teeth and bear in when he gets instant top 6 center minutes and scores 30 goals somewhere else.

53 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Totally agree!  But I also dont think a few games into the season is going to change another GM's feelings on his value.  

I am not saying any of this is the right way to go about these things, just trying to make sense of a very very strange situation.  

I understand. But Is this what happened to Duchene? On other teams? Very strange indeed.

Seems counter-productive. And then what if he does play well on the first line if given the chance? Trade him anyway?

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

I think #1 is the reason IMO.

4 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

I think #1 is the reason IMO.

An easy way around it? Like MA I doubt it.

I think what Forsberg said regarding Duchene may fit better here with Galchenyuk... take him out of the line-up and give someone else a chance if things are so bad with Alex. Humiliation rarely works IMO. And this has to be very humiliating.