The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#27 Alex Galchenyuk 2017-18

habs_93

22 hours ago, Ravadak said:

I don't think if Galchenyk lost his arm they would expect him to be as good as he was before. :) :)The comparison is comical. That's grasping at straws.   

But that may be your problem, you are not judging Galchenyk as fairly as the others.:)  You constantly see what he is good at but put blinders on for the rest of his game. When Players like patches, Danaualt,  Pleks etc are not scoring they still have value in all 3 zones. Pleks is and probably one of the most underrated defensive zone players in the league. Danualt seems to be getting better and better in all zones.   Galcheynk provides ziltch, zero nada when playing outside the offensive zone. So when he is not scoring, he has nothing to offer! 

Thay have tried with him.

Since the beginning of last season. 

1. They gave him fourth most minutes of any forward, quality offensive minutes see 2

2. His Ozone starts are higher then almost any player in the NHL

3. They try to get him out against weaker competition = There are 6 forwards who play against better competition. according to Corsica on the habs

4. CF/60 He ranks 8th among forwards (habs) since beginning of last season, CA/60 he ranks 1st 58.98 closest other player is at 53.74... What? Even though he spends most of the time starting in the offensive zone. I can understand why this would be a nightmare situation for  coach

5. He played with Radulov /Patches 135 minutes last season his CF% was 49.63%, the only other line worse with more than 100 minutes was danualt, Mitchel and flynn

6. He played with Rads and Byron also, they were on fire for awhile but still ended up being only the 4th best line comdo over 100 minutes last season CF%. 

7. Third in PP icetime % since beginning of last season, QoT during the power play was at 52%, the other closet was around 49%, they are not trying set him up to fail. TOI% 5th among all forwards, TOI% QoT, 4th among all forwards. 

7. These are not 4th line minutes with 4th line players.  I get his skill set. Second to none on this team, but it appears he is actually a detriment to his linemates when out there. At least sine the start of last season.

A comparison can absolutely be farcical and still comparative. In no way does the armless analogy fail: Galchenyuk is being handicapped.

Galchenyuk is great offensively, he should be in our Top 6. Not every player is a two-way guy. And that's totally an area that he can work on- not while on the fourth line. By the same token, we have a lot of guys who are great defensively but it doesn't mean they are Bergeron, Toews, or Kopitar. How is one more admirable than the other? Every player has their strengths and you play them accordingly. 

1. Everyone struggled out of the gate this year. Perhaps with the exception of Drouin. All the more reason to have Chucky spend more of those minutes with him.

2. Right. He's valued as an offensive player and put in situations where the coaching staff feels he can succeed.

3. Moot point. Do those forwards with higher quality of competition perform better? Do they play on lines with players who would be considered weak competition. Galchenyuk is apparently supposed to be driving a bottom 6 line. We have bottom 6ers that can do that. If we don't think he can do it on the top line, why would we think it works with lesser linemates. I don't think it means he needs to be insulated; I think it means he needs to be supported. So what if he's not one of these guys who makes everyone around him better?

He also scored tonight in spite of all this.

If you'd prefer we trade him and get a more reliable forward out of it, that's an understandable viewpoint. EDIT

Again, not to say one must always sing his praises. I loved Desharnais when he came through big, when he had chemistry with Patches, when he battled hard, and when he held our third line together. But he wasn't top line talent, we should've been paying him a bit less, he was preventing younger players more deserving of his role from breaking out, and the defensive aspect of his game was not so great as to warrant overlooking his need to be sheltered on a scoring line. 

8 hours ago, RyderRocks73 said:

EDIT

EDIT I am entitled to my opinion on any player on this team....Just because you think he is being treated unfairly. Does not mean I think the same way. I simply laid some numbers out from Corsica that he has been getting top line minutes. And the lines he has been on have struggled to compared to other line on the same team. Bad luck, Maybe, but I don't think so.  This is about hockey. Nothing more nothing less.  Am I playing the devils advocate maybe? Do I really think he should be traded? Probably, if we could get Deuchene, ( or another top Tier center RNH, or a top tier left Dseman) I think it would make our team better. Also I think a trade for Galchenyk would benefit him. 

So what he plays a game or two on the fourth line. The sky isn't falling. 

He did play well last night. Don't even care about the goal. Lots of 4th line players score goals. What I liked was how engaged he was in the game last  night. His first shift of the night was probably the most zeroed he has been in a long time. IF he can find that on  a regular basis he will move up the ladder  

Maybe they wont trade him, maybe they will, maybe he will become the player everybody wants him to be, including me. I just don't see that happening. At least not here. I hope he does.

But for now if you want to disagree with me about my opinion about Galchyenk play. Fill your boots. I am a big boy

But I have not said anything about Galchenyk as a person. .

Have a nice day 

18 hours ago, maas_art said:

This.  Life may not be fair & Bill Gates' notes work in some instances but we're not talking about a jerk boss. We're talking about a boss who gives you all the crap assignments with the worst coworkers while others doing the same job as you, for the same company, with the same boss, for seemingly no reason, get treated much less harshly.   

I havent heard Galchenyuk whine once. He's been the model "employee" but we, the people watching and paying the bills are the ones complaining.  

It wasnt meant for Galchenyk. Sometimes its also not about what someone says but about their actions. :)

19 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

I have trouble thinking paying people millions of dollars to do what they love and in most cases have done since a very young age is unfair. I would suggest having to play less and getting paid more for most would seem like a win. On the other hand getting out from under the microscope that is Montreal is probably the only solution for young players who struggle. Bergevin and Julien are from a different era and I am sure the players who get the opportunity to move up in the line-up and play more for less money aren't complaining like they would if they weren't in this industry. Gally is signed for 3 years, but if they can't figure things out this year I do not see him back next year. He can complain but if he doesn't meet expectations it just creates more stories for the press. This was my problem with Julien getting the job instead of Muller. The league has changed (it should be much easier for Galchenyuk to use his speed and size) and Julien is a bit of a dinosaur like Therrien. The irony for me is all 3 of  these guys are not likely to be here by the time their contracts are up if this continues. 

The translation of him Galchenyuk being a detriment to line-mates playing to me means he is not the system Julien wants to play. Pretty simple, play the system cause  I don't think the coach Julien at his age is going to change.

Well the numbers on corsica are not lying.

But I totally agree that management, is are archaic. Therrien was and is probably the worst coach this team could of had for the core we had. Bergevin and Therrien should have both been fired. The year we collapsed after price when down. 

Julien is as bad as Therrien when it comes to young players unless they can play all zones, I agree. But he is a far far better coach then Therrien and one who has tried to change his coaching style over the years also to adjust to the new game. 

38 minutes ago, Ravadak said:

Well the numbers on corsica are not lying.

But I totally agree that management, is are archaic. Therrien was and is probably the worst coach this team could of had for the core we had. Bergevin and Therrien should have both been fired. The year we collapsed after price when down. 

Julien is as bad as Therrien when it comes to young players unless they can play all zones, I agree. But he is a far far better coach then Therrien and one who has tried to change his coaching style over the years also to adjust to the new game. 

Julien has been much better in a few regards:

1. His system is far superior. Therrien, in reality, had no real system... he just encouraged players to dump the puck out of our zone along the boards, go fetch it, dump it into the O zone, go fetch it, etc. Julien actually has an organized way of getting pucks in/out of zones. Our shot attempts have gone up. In fact, we've outplayed the opposition in most games this year, but we've had awful finish at the net and awful goaltending, and in many ways, that's not on the coach. Therrien was the beneficiary of the opposite, whereby we had a highshooting percentage to start the season the past couple of years and couldn't sustain it, and all-world goaltending that just wasn't going to last forever either. When those things returned to normal, Therrien had nothing to lean on.

2. CJ has been more willing to play young players. Lehkonen on the top line. Hudon in the top 6-9. Mete on the first pairing. Still a shame Lindgren didn't get the call, but I understand why, with the contract situations and playing time. And then there's the case of Galchenyuk, which is really the most baffling part of this, as we've discussed. In the past, Julien has been hard on young forwards in the past (e.g. Seguin) when they've been lacking on the defensive end, but we all know how that saga turned out: Seguin has been dominant for Dallas, and Boston doesn't have anything to show for that trade. I'm worried the same situation will unfold here. Someone will take AG, live with his defensive woes, and allow him to play a key offensive role on the first line. And he'll put up 65-80 points a year, which is something that's jut really hard to replace. It's not hard to find another Flynn, Ott, King, Mitchell, Shaw, etc. but finding a guy who has the ability to score 30 goals is really tough. You have to develop them yourself or else you overpay for them via trade/free agency. Really just a shame to see us wasting this asset IMO.

yep even when AG plays good he still gets demoted, proof of last night, he played good and still cant buy extra minutes, i just wish we would trade him and get this over with, its hard to watch a player get excited after scoring and then see very little ice time to finish the game,

11 hours ago, RyderRocks73 said:

A comparison can absolutely be farcical and still comparative. In no way does the armless analogy fail: Galchenyuk is being handicapped.

Galchenyuk is great offensively, he should be in our Top 6. Not every player is a two-way guy. And that's totally an area that he can work on- not while on the fourth line. By the same token, we have a lot of guys who are great defensively but it doesn't mean they are Bergeron, Toews, or Kopitar. How is one more admirable than the other? Every player has their strengths and you play them accordingly. 

Yup.....I don't see our 4th liners promoted to the first line as punishment because they don't score. 

6 hours ago, jwlk said:

yep even when AG plays good he still gets demoted, proof of last night, he played good and still cant buy extra minutes, i just wish we would trade him and get this over with, its hard to watch a player get excited after scoring and then see very little ice time to finish the game,

I'm sure if he can sustain the good effort than he will be rewarded. I hope having a good game , where he was still on the pp and even did skate with the first line during the game, he can continue to bring the effort he will get rewarded if he is consistent.

I think Carey might help change some of the conversation if he continues to struggle. Playing against weaker opponents helped Gally shine, Not going to complain about him getting better match ups that help him to produce. Good coaching includes getting the matchups you want and  exploiting the other teams weaknesses rather than exposing your weakness to the other team. Go Alex!!

2 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

I think Carey might help change some of the conversation if he continues to struggle. Playing against weaker opponents helped Gally shine, Not going to complain about him getting better match ups that help him to produce. Good coaching includes getting the matchups you want and  exploiting the other teams weaknesses rather than exposing your weakness to the other team. Go Alex!!

cool so put drouin and pacioretty on the 4th line with 12 min each and move AG up, hope they dont get cramps sitting for most the game, AG is not gonna shine down there game in game out.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

His goal against Toronto is a great example of what he's capable of. A skilled, direct play... a wonderful shot. I hope he can become more of a direct player. The coaching staff must be telling him avoid the low percentage plays. I feel like things will turn around for him very soon!

This guy is such a candidate for plugs of tobacco I can't see why you would think it's that easy. Hope it is of course.

On 10/15/2017 at 5:37 AM, Ravadak said:

It wasnt meant for Galchenyk. Sometimes its also not about what someone says but about their actions. :)

Right, but i think we as fans often read more into "actions" than we really should.  Several years ago we had Bonk & Begin as our top pairing PK guys. They were really really good.  Begin would throw himself all over the ice and Bonk would slowly move around to cut off angles.  People would constantly rag on Bonk and call him "lazy" and uninterested because Begin was "going to the dirty areas" but the reality is, Bonk was just way better positionally. He didnt have to throw himself around because he was 99% of hte time in the right place to begin with.  Kovalev was also accused of being "lazy" - its just how his game was. He slowed down everyone on the ice because he had such control of the puck.

Chucky looks deflated (well not so much after last game) but who knows if he's a little under the weather, nursing a minor injury etc.

The commentators (the past NHLers) made an interesting observation during the game on saturday.  One of them (Johnson i think) said that CJ may not be "punishing" AG at all. If his confidence is lacking, this may be a case of putting him on the 4th line to shelter him a little.  I know it seems wrong because you're not putting him with the tools to score lots but it also forces him to simplify his game a little and hopefully rebuild the confidence.  

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

I see some improvement in his game. he is much more involved and his skating has picked up a lot, i think he is going to start producing soon you can see it in him. he looks angry, perhaps that is what it takes for him to take it up a notch.

I agree I like his compete level with and without the puck the last two games. We still are having a tough time scoring as a team. I think it's time to try him with Druin and Lek. I think Pacs Danualt Gallager could be good also. I do think Chuck looks involved and has earned a chance and we need him and everybody else performing.

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree I like his compete level with and without the puck the last two games. We still are having a tough time scoring as a team. I think it's time to try him with Druin and Lek. I think Pacs Danualt Gallager could be good also. I do think Chuck looks involved and has earned a chance and we need him and everybody else performing.

Galchenyuk, Drouin, and Lehkonen could be a cool line to try. I like!

On 15/10/2017 at 7:46 PM, jwlk said:

cool so put drouin and pacioretty on the 4th line with 12 min each and move AG up, hope they dont get cramps sitting for most the game, AG is not gonna shine down there game in game out.

AG is still not shining and Drouin is the least of the problem. Patches, and Price need to lead. This team can beat anybody for 20 minutes, but the breakdowns are brutal as are the really bad penalties. See AG, Morrow or Hemsky. Not trying to point a finger at AG alone, but the coaches are clearly failing in their job as this team has rarely played a complete game.  They need to send a message soon. We re continuously flat for long stretches of time and it is hard to win when half the team either doesn't show up, or puts the team in a hole.  It is a fairly young team but some of the younger players like AG need to step up as do our leaders. 
AG killing his own ice time with the top line by taking two bad penalties isn't going to make it any easier for him. If they put AG on the fourth line you may be right that Patches should join him. Right now Byron is making a good argument for Patches to be a  fourth liner which does not look good for our captain.

3 hours ago, jwlk said:

AG is not giving enough compared to the 4th line grinders this team is made up of, he had one shot in the last 5 min of the game and he wanted more, more shots less goals it seems, i wish they would just trade him and stop killing his career

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/habs-ice-chips-galchenyuk-back-on-the-fourth-line~1239441

Alex is killing his own career.

48 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

100% he got messed around by the team in the past for sure but so do a lot of players around the league it does not only happen in Montreal guys! as for now it is time for him to man up and play not sulk around and float like he has for most of the season at this point he is an adult it is time to put up some points to either stay or get traded whichever he wants.

48 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I don't agree with that.  I think the unwillingness to play him where he belongs, and leave him there, will make it appear as though he doesn't produce as much as he should.  Actually, you do that with any player, and the production will go down.  Like BigTed always says, it was obvious they just kept playing Desharnais in top roles over and over, even when he went long stretches without good production, but with AG, he's been walking on thin ice since the moment he arrived.  Not to mention Alex got to witness firsthand the elitists in power trading Subban away just to show everyone who's boss.  Now what kind of message does that send to the guys in the room?  If they eventually do trade Galchenyuk, he will flourish wherever he lands, MMW.  It will be another bonehead move by our brilliant GM and another lost deal.  

2 minutes ago, vegasrick said:

I don't agree with that.  I think the unwillingness to play him where he belongs, and leave him there, will make it appear as though he doesn't produce as much as he should.  Actually, you do that with any player, and the production will go down.  Like BigTed always says, it was obvious they just kept playing Desharnais in top roles over and over, even when he went long stretches without good production, but with AG, he's been walking on thin ice since the moment he arrived.  Not to mention Alex got to witness firsthand the elitists in power trading Subban away just to show everyone who's boss.  Now what kind of message does that send to the guys in the room?  If they eventually do trade Galchenyuk, he will flourish wherever he lands, MMW.  It will be another bonehead move by our brilliant GM and another lost deal.  

so it is ok for him to float?