The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#67 Max Pacioretty 2017-18

habs_93

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/rumors-of-huge-trade-between-avalanche-and-predators-after-phone-call-last-night

“I wrote yesterday that they’d asked Nashville about all four of their top D, and then somebody said to me that – last night he actually called me and he said that not only that, but he heard it was one of those D plus," said Friedman as per Nichols on Hockey. "So it’s a big ask."

No mention of Subban or what the + might have been, though.

48 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Well Hockeyfeed.com is one source that is easily googled. (everyone can choose to believe whatever source they want as each does..so many well so and so said it like than it didn't matter because it's a source they don't like, but then gets posted when it's something they agree with

So thats the first time ever I've even seen the URL "Hockeyfeed.com" and no its not something that has ever come up in a google search.

- It looks like a click bait website with flashy titles like "this NHL start said he's just been cleared to play for the first time this season" and "Breaking: NHL team clears 2 roster spots, calls no one up."

- I looked at 3-4 different articles and not one has a writer credited to them

- Those same articles relied on Twitter posts from NHL Teams (quoted in isolation without context) and then say things like :

"There is now rampant speculation that the Islanders may have made some type of transaction to acquire one or more new players, perhaps a waiver pickup or even potentially a trade, although there are nothing more than rumors at this time. "  ... 

- Speculation by who? Whoever wrote this article?  No quotes from a GM, Players, established NHL writer like Bob McKenzie or anyone else

If your source is Hockeyfeed.com you've basically been using what amounts to the Gossip rag of the NHL it seems.

1) Reliable sources are credited to a specific writer ... so that we can assess how accurate they generally are

2) Reliable sources generally  use quotes that are directly attributed to somebody and can be verified as coming from that person 

3) When a reliable source uses a quote that says something like "Unnamed insiders in the Habs organization" or "those close to the players" ... see #1 ... if a writer relies on this far too often on unnamed sources and time and again their assertions are wrong we remember their name and can dismiss them ... eg Eklund

Hockeyfeed.com looks about as reliable as anything Eklund has ever posted.   Its about as valid as the rampant speculation forum posters here do.   It's not a credible source of information in any way.

11 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

So thats the first time ever I've even seen the URL "Hockeyfeed.com" and no its not something that has ever come up in a google search.

- It looks like a click bait website with flashy titles like "this NHL start said he's just been cleared to play for the first time this season" and "Breaking: NHL team clears 2 roster spots, calls no one up."

- I looked at 3-4 different articles and not one has a writer credited to them

- Those same articles relied on Twitter posts from NHL Teams (quoted in isolation without context) and then say things like :

"There is now rampant speculation that the Islanders may have made some type of transaction to acquire one or more new players, perhaps a waiver pickup or even potentially a trade, although there are nothing more than rumors at this time. "  ... 

- Speculation by who? Whoever wrote this article?  No quotes from a GM, Players, established NHL writer like Bob McKenzie or anyone else

If your source is Hockeyfeed.com you've basically been using what amounts to the Gossip rag of the NHL it seems.

1) Reliable sources are credited to a specific writer ... so that we can assess how accurate they generally are

2) Reliable sources generally  use quotes that are directly attributed to somebody and can be verified as coming from that person 

3) When a reliable source uses a quote that says something like "Unnamed insiders in the Habs organization" or "those close to the players" ... see #1 ... if a writer relies on this far too often on unnamed sources and time and again their assertions are wrong we remember their name and can dismiss them ... eg Eklund

Hockeyfeed.com looks about as reliable as anything Eklund has ever posted.   Its about as valid as the rampant speculation forum posters here do.   It's not a credible source of information in any way.

As posted above I didn't only say Hockey feed was the only site I read or listen to. NHL TV Network has several coaches players ect. XM NHL Network has several GM's coaches ect on all the time including McKenzie ect. . I have had NHL Center ice every year since it came out and follow the HABS full time and several other teams and listen to a lot of local broadcast because a lot of the time you can choose home or away and it's actually good to listen to a different perspective. Do I record or write down who says what from everything I listen or watch just for the sake of argument on a web page no. Until anything is under oath by a person (who you do hear a lot "don't quote me" or they won't reveal their source) or a trade is actually done. I do a lot of reading also and not all on line there actually are newspapers still and magazines ect. . Everyone is going to believe one source more than another because of bias or what they want to believe (and coaches GM's players all will want to sound like the good guy and none of us our actually in the room) but until it's done or proven it's all rumor or speculation. What happened in the past is just that over done ect. If it's and but's were candy and nuts it'd be Christmas all year round.

He’ll also be the media go-to guy again because he says interesting things and the masses want to hear from him. Which brings us to the latest flare-up. Several media members were upset that Subban didn’t talk between postgame of Game 5 at Pittsburgh until after Game 6.

That’s two full days between games and then all day before Game 6 without Subban, and that’s way too long for a player of that importance during the biggest event for a league trying to attract more fans. This is why the NHL should take over media access from the teams during the Stanley Cup Final, as other leagues do, because the perception was that the Predators were silencing Subban.

That was fueled by a conversation Subban had with Predators Director of Communications Kevin Wilson, with a huge crowd of reporters gathered around his locker during pregame availability the day of Game 6. Wilson pulled him aside briefly, and Subban exited without talking. It appeared he did so at Wilson’s behest, and the Professional Hockey Writers Association is filing a complaint against the Predators with the NHL.
his locker during pregame availability the day of Game 6. Wilson pulled him aside briefly, and Subban exited without talking. It appeared he did so at Wilson’s behest, and the Professional Hockey Writers Association is filing a complaint against the Predators with the NHL.

This was a 2 minute google search in the Tennesean a local paper. Nope not Hockey Feed with "A Huge crowd of reporters around" not just one guy making up a story. Hmmm scheduled talk director of team communications talks to him and then he doesn't talk ......Subban nothing to say, Really ?

6 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

He’ll also be the media go-to guy again because he says interesting things and the masses want to hear from him. Which brings us to the latest flare-up. Several media members were upset that Subban didn’t talk between postgame of Game 5 at Pittsburgh until after Game 6.

That’s two full days between games and then all day before Game 6 without Subban, and that’s way too long for a player of that importance during the biggest event for a league trying to attract more fans. This is why the NHL should take over media access from the teams during the Stanley Cup Final, as other leagues do, because the perception was that the Predators were silencing Subban.

That was fueled by a conversation Subban had with Predators Director of Communications Kevin Wilson, with a huge crowd of reporters gathered around his locker during pregame availability the day of Game 6. Wilson pulled him aside briefly, and Subban exited without talking. It appeared he did so at Wilson’s behest, and the Professional Hockey Writers Association is filing a complaint against the Predators with the NHL.
his locker during pregame availability the day of Game 6. Wilson pulled him aside briefly, and Subban exited without talking. It appeared he did so at Wilson’s behest, and the Professional Hockey Writers Association is filing a complaint against the Predators with the NHL.

This was a 2 minute google search in the Tennesean a local paper. Nope not Hockey Feed with "A Huge crowd of reporters around" not just one guy making up a story. Hmmm scheduled talk director of team communications talks to him and then he doesn't talk ......Subban nothing to say, Really ?

whats the point of all this.are you suggesting that if there was a divide between patch and p.k that we made the right move?

you are more happy with captain invisible and his incredible disappearing act?  or the results of this team vs. nashvilles? 

on the downside, this thread is all about subban for some reason right now.

on the plus-side, no one is talking about how horrendous MP is currently!

Having said that, Dregger talked to a few GMs about MP on the weekend and the consensus seems to be that Max' struggles are mostly due to poorly-matched linemates.  In the past he had success with guys like danault but he always had Markov and such on the blueline.  He's a rush-scorer but this year we have no rush.

So, according to Dregger, the general feeling around the league is that his value is about has high as its always been and if MB finds the right trading partner, the return will be very substantial.   Teams with high end centres and no top LW would pay handsomely to acquire MP. 

31 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Having said that, Dregger talked to a few GMs about MP on the weekend and the consensus seems to be that Max' struggles are mostly due to poorly-matched linemates.  In the past he had success with guys like danault but he always had Markov and such on the blueline.  He's a rush-scorer but this year we have no rush.

So, according to Dregger, the general feeling around the league is that his value is about has high as its always been and if MB finds the right trading partner, the return will be very substantial.   Teams with high end centres and no top LW would pay handsomely to acquire MP. 

Oilers kind of fit that bill .. the question is which of Draistl or Hopkins would they be willing to part with ... I'd prefer the former

30 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Oilers kind of fit that bill .. the question is which of Draistl or Hopkins would they be willing to part with ... I'd prefer the former

They do and they dont.  They have the things we need but do they really need another forward?  Their biggest need is a top tier defensman.  I think you'd get a very strong package from Edmonton for Weber, but i dont think MB will move him.   Pacioretty, I think, you have to turn into multiple assets, including a centre and a defensman (one being established, the other a prospect).  So you could do RNH and Nurse for Pacioretty, and its probably fair market value, but that makes Edmonton even weaker on the back-end.   Sure if edmonton wanted to do Draitsatl for Patches straight up (they wouldnt) id jump at it, but more likely you're getting a centre of RNH's quality + a top 4 dman prospect like nurse. 

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

whats the point of all this.are you suggesting that if there was a divide between patch and p.k that we made the right move?

you are more happy with captain invisible and his incredible disappearing act?  or the results of this team vs. nashvilles? 

Read very slowly no where did I ever say I preferred one over the other. I was simply responding to that there has been speculation issues what ever that have been reported by more than one source of Subban having attitude or issues in locker rooms. It was in response to "no evidence" as it was also innuendo about Subban in Montreal also. ( no evidence!) I never said that was a good reason to trade someone or keep one or the other! I actually found several articles one even stated how Subban is very careful with his twitter account because he realizes how easily things can be taken out of context. It also stated that he is being more thought full and careful when doing interviews. The article actually said they would rather have Subban "unchecked". If he has figured this out on his own or team help , it's actually just growing up and being more professional.

I agree with below though this is the Max thread so technically Subban actually should never be mentioned here?

On to Max he is still getting a lot of shots hardly anyone is scoring on this team. I think as some have said with the correct players things could change. I thought I remember Pacs/Chucky/Gallager as a line that worked well together. At this point may as well try Chucky back at center with some quality players. It could help out both. Also if they were to trade MP getting him scoring again would help the trade value. I definetly wouldn't just trade him fro the sake of it. It should be a good trade because he will probably bounce back.

24 minutes ago, maas_art said:

They do and they dont.  They have the things we need but do they really need another forward?  Their biggest need is a top tier defensman.  I think you'd get a very strong package from Edmonton for Weber, but i dont think MB will move him.   Pacioretty, I think, you have to turn into multiple assets, including a centre and a defensman (one being established, the other a prospect).  So you could do RNH and Nurse for Pacioretty, and its probably fair market value, but that makes Edmonton even weaker on the back-end.   Sure if edmonton wanted to do Draitsatl for Patches straight up (they wouldnt) id jump at it, but more likely you're getting a centre of RNH's quality + a top 4 dman prospect like nurse. 

Patches + Weber for Draistl and a prospect?    That is what I think I'd dangle ... even perhaps offering to retain some of Weber's salary

Patches, Weber  for Draistl and a 2nd or 3rd round quality prospect, I think Oilers jump at that.

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

But isn't that what having Subban did in real life too? Subban took the heat off everyone else and dealt with the media pressure, and it allowed guys like Max to hang around in the background and have less pressure to deal with. Max had to answer more questions about PK than he did about not having scored for 6 games!

Max is just playing lazy uninspired hockey right now, could be many reasons why, he could also again just not fit the new system in place, maybe he's hoping secretly MB will be fired and this team can be built properly, had to suck to see everyone go this season

1 minute ago, jwlk said:

Max is just playing lazy uninspired hockey right now, could be many reasons why, he could also again just not fit the new system

I think it`s the system, if there really is any. - Montreal finds a way to make producing players stop producing.

I fully believe it`s because of the pressure they put on good defense. they`re really convinced that you can stop all offense by playing near perfect defense.

all we need to do is practice scoring from our defensive zone, and the cup is ours ..

we trade anyone who falls out of line or starts to create offense, .. for Montreal (with a boardroom staff full of defenders, (exception Muller) cannot grasp the need for offensive players and creativity. - maybe Max should go and try to win a cup elsewhere ..

it`s in the room, the boss says, .. in other words, .. I have given you a championship contender, one I have built myself, .. now it`s up to them to just figure it out.

my work here is done. - is all that need left to be said. -

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

true that it is here where all really started .. The Subban Deal.

it started a spark in cap space, and attitude, so MB looked into a future and started to panic, so went for a win now scheme, Subban for Weber, and after years of finding suitable productive forwards, it took until Radulov to find one. 2 names that sparked creativity in others, gave them the guts try things themselves, .. then we had a decent defense, growing, but accountable, as we knew just a Subban, Radulov, is not enough, you still need that xtra guy incase another might drop, we were headed towards a decent team. (even after Subban / Weber). then we had no defense, only 5 of them left, meanwhile we`re buying any goalie that has ever played professional hockey. now we`re left withe less pieces than Therrien had, .. and still no one (Molson) who wants to notice.

40 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Dreger saying Nashville might be interested. That would be one of the funniest NHL storylines ever if they won a cup together in Nashville.

One better,,,,, maybe PK is involved in the discussion and he's on his way back :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

heh given PK is 2nd on Preds scoring, 3rd in the league for d-man ... Patches + half our team for PK maybe.     There's no way Poile takes Weber back and will plunder us for every useful young assett we have.

Those 29 points look pretty sweet. Who's our closest...? Galchenyuk with 22?

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Those 29 points look pretty sweet. Who's our closest...? Galchenyuk with 22?

Our whole offence looks different with PK in the lineup instead of Weber.    Somebody who can actually carry the puck and make good plays through the neutral zone.

39 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Our whole offence looks different with PK in the lineup instead of Weber.    Somebody who can actually carry the puck and make good plays through the neutral zone.

PK along with Markov is dangerous.