Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#31 Carey Price 2017-18


habs_93
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 11/4/2017 at 3:39 PM, habs_93 said:

I advocated for trading Price last year not because I dislike him (he's my favourite player on the team, and has been so for nearly a decade) or because I had some kind of special insight into his play/health or analytical product. I did so because of the salary cap and simple probability. Teams don't win in a hard cap league by having as much money as we do in a few players. Teams basically don't win without significant numbers of their key impact players being on entry level contracts, either, but that's a discussion for another day. There was no realistic scenario where we could resign Price and be as good as we were, let alone better off. On top of that, goalies generally peak around these years, and Carey's performance in the last few years has been highly outside the league mean. Unusual results are unlikely to continue, regardless of an apparent trend. The team obviously thought they'd continue to get 5-on-5 goaltending nearly one and a half standard deviations over the league mean, which was an incredibly inadvisable thing to do.

There's no good solutions anymore, thanks to our front office's aggressive denial of reality.

I agree he should have been traded, more to avoid overpaying than anything else.  The team as constructed cannot win anything even with a healthy Price, so why tie up so much money in his salary.  Most Cup wins in recent years have done so with  a good goalie who rose to the occasion, not a great one who stood on his head, which so far Price hasn't done in the playoffs anyway  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Injured? Perhaps... I do remember a game earlier this year where he was actually playing fairly well (Not sure which... Rangers?) when after a save he seemed to tweak something with his right leg after a side to side move and had some difficulty getting back up from the butterfly. Groin or knee perhaps... he has definitely struggled with quick movement this season in any case. Seems slow and small in the net.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope whatever injury, focus ? Whatever is going on with Carey that when he returns he can regain his form. I would think with the kid playing as well as he has that this alone should give Price incentive to show he is a top goalie still. If Price can just play solid this team can win. We are close to being back in the mix and can't afford the Price we've seen so far. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Carey says his injury happened in the Minnesota  warm up. 

"It's taking a little longer than expected" - Carey Price has an update on his injury status.

Where have I heard this before? Looks like we may get him back for the last 5 games of the season. <_<

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Carey says his injury happened in the Minnesota  warm up. 

"It's taking a little longer than expected" - Carey Price has an update on his injury status.

Definitely feels like this is copy-paste from the last time he was injured for the season. Day-to-day becomes weeks, followed by some light practices, then a setback and pause in activity, and then a black box of no information... basically the same exact thing again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It does fell eerily similar to what happened last time with Price's injury. This time I don't really care. The team can succeed without Carey, and once his behemoth contract extension kicks in, it may have to find a way to succeed in spite of Carey.

I suppose I also don't have faith in the team competing this season... which just puts me generally in a more negative mood about Carey. I apologize! :ph34r:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

While i agree something smells fishy, I dont put a single cent in Tremblay's "sources."  It sounds like one of those "well that makes sense" types of rumours thought up over a couple of beers.

Im not saying there isnt something up but if its true, Tremblay should be ashamed of himself for even bringing it up.  If its false, he should retire from 'journalism' for good. 

 

Having said all that, if the return is as big as some analysts speculate it could be, im all for trading Carey and starting the retool now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, maas_art said:

While i agree something smells fishy, I dont put a single cent in Tremblay's "sources."  It sounds like one of those "well that makes sense" types of rumours thought up over a couple of beers.

Im not saying there isnt something up but if its true, Tremblay should be ashamed of himself for even bringing it up.  If its false, he should retire from 'journalism' for good. 

 

Having said all that, if the return is as big as some analysts speculate it could be, im all for trading Carey and starting the retool now. 

oh yeah this is far from a reputable source or story, crazy rumour though. Im on board with trading price regardless lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I pray it's true, if Habs can get a couple of key pieces for him and have it cost about the same amount cap wise.  One has to be a strong scoring forward.  the other has to be a strong puck moving D.  No Alzners or DLRs please!  But, you know, even getting one of those pieces and a solid prospect or draft pick might be ok if it means they don't have that horrible albatross of a contract!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Sounds like nonsense to me. Probably just garbage concocted by Rejean Tremblay, conveniently blaming Carey's wife for the team's problems. That's right guys, there's nothing wrong with PRICE'S performance, it's his ENGLISH wife's fault. Reliable French sports journalism at its finest.

Yep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The wife downplayed it on her instagram account

 

In the words of CP31 echoed by the wife


CHILL OUT

"   ?just for the record I am not getting divorced or threatening a divorce nor do I want to leave Montreal. Just in case anyone was interested...though, the rumors have been pretty entertaining ?#chilloutpeople ?  "

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Sounds like nonsense to me. Probably just garbage concocted by Rejean Tremblay, conveniently blaming Carey's wife for the team's problems. That's right guys, there's nothing wrong with PRICE'S performance, it's his ENGLISH wife's fault. Reliable French sports journalism at its finest.

It's crap like this that makes people want to leave or not come to Montreal in the first place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tremblay said today that its the team's fault the media makes up stories (ie lies) because they arent being transparent enough.

Ok, i get the frustration over not knowing the truth (although I do understand some need for secrecy with regards to injuries) but that makes it ok for the media to fabricate stories??  Insane. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Tremblay said today that its the team's fault the media makes up stories (ie lies) because they arent being transparent enough.

Ok, i get the frustration over not knowing the truth (although I do understand some need for secrecy with regards to injuries) but that makes it ok for the media to fabricate stories??  Insane. 

Oh my God. What an idiot Rejean Tremblay is. Yes, it would be very nice if the team were more transparent, but to use that as an excuse to make up ANY story, including a story about a player's wife threatening a divorce, is absurd. What a terrible journalist. It's actually "fake news." Lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...